AVS Forum banner

Houston, TX - Consolidated Communications

9K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Cap'n Preshoot 
#1 ·
I am looking to change from Comcast to DSL based internet access and SD/HDTV but know nothing about this type of service where HDTV comes via telephone cable.

I searched this thread for Consolidated and Houston but didn't find anything having to do with this type of HDTV service.

Anyone have this service and how does it compare to Comcast?

Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
#3 ·
Consolidated offers a digital HD package in certain of their service areas in Katy (and possibly up around Conroe). Their web site doesn't give much clue, you have to submit your service address and then they will get back to you. Apparently they have to dispatch a tech to your location to run bandwidth and bit error rate tests to see if your copper loop qualifies. I'm still trying to figure out the technology they're using. IPTV likely, but if you have multiple sets and all watching different programming plus browsing the internet it could get a little crowded "inside the pipe". Will post more as I learn about it.

#4 ·
Heard from them (Consolidated) today. It is indeed IPTV. On their copper circuits they're pushing 19 Mbps up to 7,000 cable feet. In newer areas built out w/fiber they're running up to 60 Mbps with fiber to the home, not merely to the curb. Yes, over copper IPTV will be in contention for bandwidth with your broadband internet service.

Unfortunately, tho my community is only 5 years old, I'm in one of their copper areas, but 6000 feet from the mux, so they tell me my loop should qualify.

#5 ·
Never mind.

Come to find out they have only approx 15 HD channels (including the locals) - that will never do. I also wasn't too impressed with their demo setup in their local business office.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Texas /forum/post/11999178

I am looking to change from Comcast to DSL based internet access and SD/HDTV but know nothing about this type of service where HDTV comes via telephone cable.

I searched this thread for Consolidated and Houston but didn't find anything having to do with this type of HDTV service.

Anyone have this service and how does it compare to Comcast?

Thanks for the help!

Only available in Katy and Conroe. Presently there are not many HD channels available, I think around 18 or so. My son has it now and I'm not impressed. I'll stick with Dish Network for now. Also, Consolidated does offer a triple play deal, with either (your choice of) an internet-based phone or a legacy copper landline-based phone. Both options offer unlimited US Domestic long distance for residential (non-business) use. Consolidated also requires a 1-year term agreement, but only if you take their triple play deal. For TV and/or TV with DSL, there is no contract required. DSL speeds offered are 3, 6 and 10 Mbps down and 512k up. Since most internet congestion you'll encounter will be beyond their network, the 3 Mbps package is generally adequate.

Consolidated provides you with one (1) set top box which has 3 remotes and 3 outputs for 3 rooms. Alas only one TV can be HD as the other outputs are analog (agile-modulated over coax). The service is reasonably cheap until you get to their triple play deal. Once promotional incentives expire the triple play deal (with 4 premiums and HD) will run you about $135 + tax. They DO offer a DVR, which appears to consist of the base model HD receiver along with an external hard drive. However, you're apt to encounter some bandwidth constraints (depending on facility type (copper/fiber) and distance) limiting you to a maximum of only 1 concurrent HD stream. Yes, an HDMI jack is there and seems to work, but you'll have to furnish your own HDMI cable.

No, not a very elegant alternative. As I said earlier, I believe I'll stick w/satellite.

#7 ·
Unfortunately, we've seen little improvement in Consolidated's TV offerings for Katy. Currently only 46 HD channels total (including Houston locals). While better than the 18 they originally had, they still aren't on par (or even close) to any competitor. They will continue to be bandwidth-constrained until they finish a system rebuild to put fiber throughout their service area. So far the subscriber equipment (set-top boxes) also remains unchanged. Good phone company, great internet service, poor TV. Available Alternatives: Satellite or Comcast Cable, satellite recommended with Consolidated for Internet & phone. Avoid Comcast if you can. Why? Comcast Cable, aside from having atrocious customer service, is dependent upon electrical power for distribution. If the power goes out anywhere along their distribution path between them and you, as it did during Hurricane Ike, you will lose all services on Cable. Consolidated, by comparison, is central-office powered with full battery and generator backup and is also a state-regulated public utility, meaning that in most cases, unless the Central Office or a repeater hut is taken out, your landline-based phone service is very unlikely to be disrupted.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot /forum/post/0

Unfortunately, we've seen little improvement in Consolidated's TV offerings for Katy. Currently only 46 HD channels total (including Houston locals). While better than the 18 they originally had, they still aren't on par (or even close) to any competitor. They will continue to be bandwidth-constrained until they finish a system rebuild to put fiber throughout their service area. So far the subscriber equipment (set-top boxes) also remains unchanged. Good phone company, great internet service, poor TV. Available Alternatives: Satellite or Comcast Cable, satellite recommended with Consolidated for Internet & phone. Avoid Comcast if you can. Why? Comcast Cable, aside from having atrocious customer service, is dependent upon electrical power for distribution. If the power goes out anywhere along their distribution path between them and you, as it did during Hurricane Ike, you will lose all services on Cable. Consolidated, by comparison, is central-office powered with full battery and generator backup and is also a state-regulated public utility, meaning that in most cases, unless the Central Office or a repeater hut is taken out, your landline-based phone service is very unlikely to be disrupted.

As I write this they are plowing fiber down Cinco Ranch Blvd. W. Of 99

There may be some hope yet...

#12 ·
Cap'n Preshoot,

My apologies for bringing up an old thread. I need your advice. I live in the area too, further south though and Consolidated is the only telecom provider for me. I am using them for phone (landline), but I am currently using Comcast for internet and Dish network for TV.

I am not particularly happy with Comcast (it is about pricing, I pay $70 with the recent hike on the modem rental), but the service has been very reliable. I usually get above 20MBps down, 2.5Mbps up on speedtest (this is their "performance" not "blast" service). I am losing out on the potential savings of bundling by going with three different providers for phone/tv/internet.

I would like to try the Consolidated Internet service. How do you find this? Can I achieve comparable speeds? Is it reliable? I am completely put off by many reports about Consolidated's poor customer service. The link below is what I referring to. Also, there are other places (usually the local sites for Yahoo! which have many user complaints about their service). I have their phone service, which has been good, but I have never had any issues with it - so never had to call them.

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/2696

Your thoughts, advice and experiences are appreciated.

Andy

#13 ·
What's the latest on this TV provider in The Woodlands?

I currently have Consolidated Communications DSL internet service and am thinking about dumping Comcast for TV due to cost and other problems I have with them.

Can anyone fill me in on how Consolidated Communications will compare to Comcast in PQ and flexibility of setup for 3 HDTVs and 3 SDTVs. I currently distribute Comcasts feed via a coax distribution amp to each TV and use free DTAs for the SDTVs and HD-DVRs for the 3 HDTVs.

Do I need telephone outlets in room which have TVs?

Any and all info is much appreciated.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrackl /forum/post/19953647

Cap'n Preshoot,

My apologies for bringing up an old thread. I need your advice. I live in the area too, further south though and Consolidated is the only telecom provider for me. I am using them for phone (landline), but I am currently using Comcast for internet and Dish network for TV.

I am not particularly happy with Comcast (it is about pricing, I pay $70 with the recent hike on the modem rental), but the service has been very reliable. I usually get above 20MBps down, 2.5Mbps up on speedtest (this is their "performance" not "blast" service). I am losing out on the potential savings of bundling by going with three different providers for phone/tv/internet.

I would like to try the Consolidated Internet service. How do you find this? Can I achieve comparable speeds? Is it reliable? I am completely put off by many reports about Consolidated's poor customer service. The link below is what I referring to. Also, there are other places (usually the local sites for Yahoo! which have many user complaints about their service). I have their phone service, which has been good, but I have never had any issues with it - so never had to call them.

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/2696

Your thoughts, advice and experiences are appreciated.

Andy

Andy,

We've been very happy with Consolidated's 6 Mbps internet package and if you sign up right now I believe they're still offering a 1-yr discount incentive, not much, but every little bit helps.

We have only Consolidated's internet service, nothing else. However, they do force you to have a "measured service" phone line, which is fine for us as we don't use it, though it's there for those times when the power goes out. Just beware if you use it (the phone line) that every call is 50¢.

We put our phone service on VONAGE several years ago and haven't looked back. It's great, plus if your internet service goes out Vonage automatically forwards any incoming calls to any other number (your cellular phone for instance) you choose. Unlimited US Domestic LD included.

I've heard nothing else about the construction, though I still see an occasional fiber crew trenching in the area (Cinco Ranch area, W. of 99). For Conroe I'd suggest calling them as they don't seem to update their web site very often.

The DSL Reports stuff you provided the link for does not at all mirror my own experience. We've been very satisfied with the service and have only once needed their customer support for a minor billing issue.

#18 ·

Consolidated has to be one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with.  They are expensive for just cable and wifi and their customer service is horrible.  They screwed up my order and now want me to pay for their mistake.  IF you can get them to answer you when you have trouble, then you are one of the lucky ones.  

#19 ·
Unfortunately I've seen no appreciable improvement in their IPTV package over the past 4+ years. If you're looking for TV in one of the areas served by Consolidated, my recommendation would be Satellite. Either Dish Network (great DVRs) or else DirecTV if you're a sports junkie. Consolidated's STBs & DVRs also leave something to be desired.

By comparison, Consolidated's legacy analog copper phone service is quite good.

However, in my area (Cinco Ranch, W. of 99), Comcast's Internet offering is pretty much de rigueur. 25 Mbps for $19.99 for the first year, 37.99 for year #2, then back to full rate ($59 approx) for year 3 and beyond. We're still in year #1 and getting closer to 30 Mbps pretty consistently.

Consolidated is currently advertising some better speeds than originally available. I originally had them for 6 Mbps service and had no real complaints. It is what it is..

Consolidated is a small 'Mom-'n-Pop company, with headquarters in Mattoon, IL, a rural farming community in downstate, Illinois, approx 150 miles S. of Chicago

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.