Pittsburgh, PA - FiOS TV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 120 Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I found the Aspect Button for the HD Zoom feature, but I guess the problem I ran into is when I have 4:3 set to stretch, and the broadcast is in a letterbox while in 4:3 this is causing the bars at the top and bottom.

guess there is no way around this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Stretch is also one of the HD zoom options so you might as well set the SD override to off and adjust things on a per program basis. That way, you can zoom letterboxed SD programming or stretch 4:3 programming.

You could also set the SD override to 480i or 480p, i'm sure your TV has the all the aspect ratio options you could want for SD programming.
post #93 of 120 Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone heard anything about an agreement between the City of Pittsburgh and Verizon for Fios TV? I seriously want to dump Comcast.
post #94 of 120 Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antule14 View Post

Anyone heard anything about an agreement between the City of Pittsburgh and Verizon for Fios TV? I seriously want to dump Comcast.

I spoke with a lady at the South Hills Village kiosk and she said the FCC told Pittsburgh they had to make a decision. Pittsburgh said yes, and supposedly Mount Washington will be the first area to start the installation of the necessary equipment.
Take this for what it's worth, but this is what the lady told me.
post #95 of 120 Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Good news for City of Pittsburgh residents:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09187/982122-67.stm

Hopefully those of us, like me, who already have FIOS internet will not have to wait too long.
post #96 of 120 Old 07-07-2009, 06:14 AM

Urgg! Good news indeed, except nothing about the large east-end residential neighborhoods of Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. We do not have FIOS internet yet and, to my knowledge, they have not begun to string fiber in our area. You would think that they would want to roll out the service in these areas since there are so many potential customers, but it looks like we'll be at the end of the line for FIOS TV.
post #97 of 120 Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimoon View Post

Urgg! Good news indeed, except nothing about the large east-end residential neighborhoods of Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. We do not have FIOS internet yet and, to my knowledge, they have not begun to string fiber in our area. You would think that they would want to roll out the service in these areas since there are so many potential customers, but it looks like we'll be at the end of the line for FIOS TV.

Yep, I thought for sure that area would have internet by now. We've had it in Crafton Heights since the end of last year.
post #98 of 120 Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM

Having FiOS installed on Saturday (8/7) in Mt. Lebanon. Just moved to Pittsburgh and looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, the movers aren't showing up with my TV until the following Monday so I'll probably be begging for help since I'll be setting it up on my own.

Since the CSR was helpless, can anyone tell me (on average) about the DVR? Specifically, how many tuners? How much hard drive space? What outputs does it have?

Thanks for the help.
post #99 of 120 Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Leave it to the unions to cause trouble:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09246/995221-96.stm
post #100 of 120 Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antule14 View Post

Leave it to the unions to cause trouble:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09246/995221-96.stm

Looks like the City and unions may have cleared the impasse described in the Post Gazette article referenced above.

See: www.post-gazette.com/pg/09247/995464-53.stm
post #101 of 120 Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since many are now getting it in their area.
Those who have it, what do you think? I gave up D* and Verizon DSL for it and I'm pretty happy so far.

Mark Vidonic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #102 of 120 Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic View Post

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since many are now getting it in their area.
Those who have it, what do you think? I gave up D* and Verizon DSL for it and I'm pretty happy so far.

I've had FIOS since it was first available in north hills, dumping comcast. Got the Tivo3 with cable cards and project the image onto a 91x51 screen. The VQ is significantly better than from the comcast dvr. The picture is as good as ota without the stormy weather interference.

Does the FIOS PPV/VOD movies on their PVRs deliver the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio soundtracks with High Def movies? And do they send them in original aspect ratio or do they pan and scan the 'scope' frame to the 16:9 ratio?
post #103 of 120 Old 04-17-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone here have any clue how the rollout is proceeding? Or if it is at all? I live in Lawrenceville and they bombard me with advertising for FiOS, and yet it's not even available. Why does it seem like this is proceeding at a snail's pace? You'd think with how rapidly Lawrenceville is developing and filling up with young people it would be among the first places in Pittsburgh to get service. Instead it seems like they've started service in a smattering of illogical places and nothing has happened since then.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #104 of 120 Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM

McGonk said, "Does anyone here have any clue how the rollout is proceeding?"

I have the same question. I live in Squirrel Hill and have been waiting for some word, any word, on when FIOS is coming to my neighborhood. What is most frustrating to me is that Verizon won't give us a clue as to when we might get it. I have to assume that they don't know themselves.

I read recently that, for economic reasons, Verizon planned to stop or delay trying to extend FIOS, but that seemed to be with respect to areas where they don't already have agreements with local government - Baltimore bring an example. However, perhaps they are also slowing down the process in places where they do have agreements, even if the agreements require them to serve all residents.

I'm on Verizon DSL now and as much as I hate to do it, I might just decide to switch to Comcast as my ISP instead of waiting for FIOS.

Brian
post #105 of 120 Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

brimoon -

i was hanging out with a friend of mine who lives over on asbury place in squirrel hill (near the police station) when it just so happened that a verizon truck showed up outside and started hooking up the new line for that block. so obviously the fios rollout is proceeding in squirrel hill right now. my buddy signed up for a hookup on the spot.

hoping the same thing happens to me in lawrenceville sometime soon ...

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
post #106 of 120 Old 06-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Does anyone have any info. on West View 931/939 exchange construction begining ?
post #107 of 120 Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 AM

MrGonk
Thanks for tip on Asbury Place. I live about 4 blocks northwest of that, but still no info available on when we might see FIOS. I'll keep an eye out for a Verizon truck. Those guys probably know more than anybody else in the company.
Brian
post #108 of 120 Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

did anybody notice all that weird blurring/ghosting on last night's steelers-lions game? it looked like an analog or optical artifact and i was wondering what casues it

"Shoot it."
post #109 of 120 Old 10-31-2010, 07:50 AM

we need to keep this thread alive
post #110 of 120 Old 01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

I just returned from visiting my parents in Shaler twp., they have had fios since the end of September.

They switched from comcast after their special rate expired and they are now paying a lot less for phone/internet/tv.

When I walk into the house I immediately notice the picture on the TV looks awful. I look at the connections and everything looks fine, but then I realize they left the TV set on the RF "channel 3" input.

My dad is 76, and doesn't see well, he still can't tell the difference between HD and SD.

Then I checked the other TV in the bedroom, this TV was set to composite video, and the component cables I purchased (from Monoprice) for the TV wasn't even hooked up.

(In their defense my mom said they had trouble setting up the internet, and I guess they rushed through the TV setup)...so be aware, ask questions, and know the difference between HD and SD.
post #111 of 120 Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Supposedly Verizon is rolling out a new Fios guide to all customers. Anyone know when we will be getting it around here?
post #112 of 120 Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Has anyone seen any FIOS activity (new fiber installations) in west View ? I noticed some plugged conduits coming up from the ground are now populated with I think Fiber on my street, and there is a coil near the telco cable entrance to the apt. complex Could it be FIOS ! ?
post #113 of 120 Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 PM

YES !
I was correct. There is a beige pole-mounted FIOS box on Glenmore, and another on center ave., about 3-4 poles from the CO. The Glenmore location is 931/939, not 761/766/734/732. I checked Verizon's scheduled road document on the web and it doesn't list anything for west view. It doesn't appear to be updated very often.
post #114 of 120 Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Verizon has updated there WEST VIEW road construction list to include two areas:

(North West area)
SOUTH FORK DR
WELLINGTON DR
HIGHLAND AV
JAMAICA AV
MONTCLAIR AV

(South East area)
RIDGEWOOD AV
BEECHMONT AV
MARQUETTE RD
MT VERNON AV
OAKWOOD AV

(Etc.)
PERRY HWY (big street, who knows which portion)
CENTER AV (big street, who knows which portion)

some fiber is also installed on schwitter and glenmore also

I'm going to take a wild guess, and say its going to branch out from Center Ave. at Depietros because a big fiber splice junction has been there since FIOS construction began years ago.
post #115 of 120 Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

just checking in.

over a year since my last post. still no fios in lawrenceville below like 50th street, still zero sign of progress or attempted progress.

seems like most of the rest of the east end has it by now. the maddening thing is that verizon would bring it so close to central lawrenceville, one of the most densely populated neighborhoods in pittsburgh, and not bother to extend it down from upper lawrenceville.

are they even on pace at this point to fulfill the timing requirements of their city charter?

"Shoot it."
post #116 of 120 Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 AM

I am trying to find out why the Borough Manager of Canonsburg is telling me that FIOS TV has never applied to do business in Canonsburg which does not allow to get FIOS TV but be able to have FIOS phone and internet? I saw a post from Baggs32 in Canonsburg saying they had FIOS TV. Thanks!
post #117 of 120 Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I had FiOS TV before I lived in Canonsburg but haven't made any posts about FiOS in this thread for over three years. Peters Township has FiOS TV and North Strabane seems to have a franchise but very little FiOS.
post #118 of 120 Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Is that actually FIOS fiber installation activity on babcock blvd. near rochester road !
post #119 of 120 Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Could be. I'm in a townhouse complex (about 120 units) off of Jacks Run Rd and they are digging here.
post #120 of 120 Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 AM

Also, it looks like Verizon has finally started wiring apartment buildings. I think they ran fiber into the high-rise apartment building in Bellevue at the corner of Lincoln and S. Bryant.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page