Pittsburgh, PA - FiOS TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 120 Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since Verizon is beginning to make FiOS TV available in the Pittsburgh area (mainly South Hills and North Hills right now), I figured I'd start up a thread dedicated to the HD channels Verizon is offering in our area.

As of 10/30/07, these are the channels that appear on the channel lineup for Bethel Park in the "local" and "premier" categories. I imagine it's the same in other Pittsburgh areas, but please point out any differences.

NBC - WPXI HD - 801
CBS - KDKA HD - 802
PBS - WQED HD - 803
ABC - WTAE HD - 804
My - WPMY HD - 806
FOX - WPGH HD - 807
TNT HDTV - 825
ESPN HD - 826
ESPN2 HD - 827
NFL Network HDTV - 828
HD Net - 833
HD Net Movies - 834
Universal HDTV - 835
HD Theater - 836
Wealth TV HDTV - 837
National Geographic Channel HD - 838
MTV HD - 839
Food Network HD - 840
HGTV HD - 841
A&E HD - 842
Lifetime Movie Network HD - 845
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

By the way... obviously missing from Verizon's lineup based on my wish list are Versus HD, and FSN Pittsburgh HD.
post #3 of 120 Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 AM

Wow. I thought I would check this thread to see how Fios was doing in Pitsburgh. Based on the posters there doesn't seem to be much interest. Anyone out there have Fios? Any comments?
post #4 of 120 Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM01 View Post

Wow. I thought I would check this thread to see how Fios was doing in Pitsburgh. Based on the posters there doesn't seem to be much interest. Anyone out there have Fios? Any comments?

I looked into switching a couple of months ago when it became available at my house. After all was said and done it would have cost more for me to get the FIOS triple pack than the Comcast triple play, so I stuck with Comcast even though I'm still in an area where we don't get all of Comcast's HD channels yet.

My mother-in-law just got the FIOS triple pack the other day (3 TVs and no HD or FIOS DVR) so I'll comment on it once I get a chance to play around with it. I did see the receiver box the other day and it was a basic black Motorola branded box. Looked a lot like the black non-HD boxes Comcast gives you.
post #5 of 120 Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggs32 View Post

I looked into switching a couple of months ago when it became available at my house. After all was said and done it would have cost more for me to get the FIOS triple pack than the Comcast triple play, so I stuck with Comcast even though I'm still in an area where we don't get all of Comcast's HD channels yet.

My mother-in-law just got the FIOS triple pack the other day (3 TVs and no HD or FIOS DVR) so I'll comment on it once I get a chance to play around with it. I did see the receiver box the other day and it was a basic black Motorola branded box. Looked a lot like the black non-HD boxes Comcast gives you.

I'm surprised that the cost is more from what I've seen.

When you check out your MIL setup I'd be interested in some info:

1) What model Moto box are they using?

2) I had thought that you needed a box for every TV, but the local Verizon rep told me that you can just plug the cable into the TV and get 12 SD channels without a box. If so, what are the channels (he didn't know)?

3)How do they set it up. I assume that it is fiber to the house into a distribution box (located where?) and then just uses the RG6 coax throughout the house.
post #6 of 120 Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised that the cost is more from what I've seen.

2) I had thought that you needed a box for every TV, but the local Verizon rep told me that you can just plug the cable into the TV and get 12 SD channels without a box. If so, what are the channels (he didn't know)?

3)How do they set it up. I assume that it is fiber to the house into a distribution box (located where?) and then just uses the RG6 coax throughout the house.

I can answer 2 and 3 right now. For #2 that is correct. You can get 12 measly local channels without the box. That stinks for me because I have two SD TiVo Series2 units that work great with the 70+ channels I get without a box through Comcast. 12 channels doesn't cut it and I'd have to put boxes on both those TVs. In fact, all of our TVs would need boxes because we watch more than 12 channels on all of them due to having 2 small kids who like Nick and Disney.

The 12 channels for my zip are:

CBS - KDKA-TV 2 2
CW - WPCW-TV 19 3
ABC - WTAE-TV 4 4
Cornerstone - WPCB-TV 40 5
FOX - WPGH-TV 53 7
Superstation - WGN-TV 8
Pittsburgh Cable News Channel 9
My - WPMY-TV 22 10
NBC - WPXI-TV 11 11
PBS - WQED-TV 13 13
Shop NBC - WQEX-TV 16 16
TV Guide Network 48
Weatherscan Local 49

Looks like they added on actually. But still pretty pathetic IMO.

For #3 your assumption is correct as well. My MIL's box, and it's a pretty big grey box, is located on the wall in her garage which is integrated into the lower level of her house. They have to put it next to an electrical outlet so the backup battery can maintain a full charge at all times. Coax is run out of it to the TV boxes but I didn't check what comes out of it for the internet access or phones.
post #7 of 120 Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I assume they are trying to get bu with the fewest analog channels as possible to conserve bandwidth but I would have thought they would have provided at least 25-30. I've noted that in some markets in the US they are providing 45 analog channels.

Unless your MIL has an HDTV you wouldn't be able to check this, but I also have heard that the basic cable provides the local Digital channels (including HD) if the TV has a QAM tuner. That could be useful for people who just want basic channels for a small LCD in the kitchen, bath, etc.

Thanks again for the info.
post #8 of 120 Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I assume they are trying to get bu with the fewest analog channels as possible to conserve bandwidth but I would have thought they would have provided at least 25-30. I've noted that in some markets in the US they are providing 45 analog channels.

Unless your MIL has an HDTV you wouldn't be able to check this, but I also have heard that the basic cable provides the local Digital channels (including HD) if the TV has a QAM tuner. That could be useful for people who just want basic channels for a small LCD in the kitchen, bath, etc.

Thanks again for the info.

I was under the impression that they were required to provide those channels in HD through basic cable as well. No?
post #9 of 120 Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggs32 View Post

I was under the impression that they were required to provide those channels in HD through basic cable as well. No?

I am under the impression that they are, and most people I talk to believe that also. The local verizon rep said they weren't available, but then a local Comcast rep will tell you the same thing.

I was just trying to verify that they are there, which ones, and on what channels.
post #10 of 120 Old 03-03-2008, 06:17 PM

Verizon is currently (3/3/8) installing FIOS fiber in west view 15229 on the streets that intersect Highland ave. (southern side). Woo Hoo !
They have been going to town in bellevue for some time now (mostly on the Pgh. side of Bellevue 15202, from what i have noticed)
post #11 of 120 Old 03-03-2008, 06:23 PM

[quote=JRM01;13189768]I'm surprised that the cost is more from what I've seen.

... QUOTE]

They are using dual (QAM/IP) boxes, and I believe they have set a date for migration to an all IP based network. I found this post from a Mass. customer, prolly. the same boxes in this area:

DVR: Motorola QTP6416-2
non DVR: Motorola QTP2500-3
post #12 of 120 Old 03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The lack of interest may be because this thread isn't listed in the U.S. Thread Index under Pittsburgh.
post #13 of 120 Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 PM

FWIW I live in 15227 and I finally can sign up, which I did today, but they are giving me an install date of 6/5!!!
post #14 of 120 Old 04-23-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post

FWIW I live in 15227 and I finally can sign up, which I did today, but they are giving me an install date of 6/5!!!

Six weeks is the norm for them right now. All I need is assurance that they will have FSN-HD and I'll be on the list. Right now they tell me it should be "sometime this summer". Same schedule that Comcast has to upgrade the No. Hills head-end!!
post #15 of 120 Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 PM

thankfully I am a transplant and can live without my FSN-HD

If I ordered correctly - I am getting almost the works package, all the movie channels, HD channels, even the sports bundle, a 2 room DVR (you can watch on one TV whats recorded on the DVR) and a second room regular box and Internet for about $15 less a month than I am paying for comcast. I mean, its not a panacea, you still dont get as many HD channels as say Dish or DTV, but I have always hated comcast and if it really winds up cheaper, then it was a no-brainer.
post #16 of 120 Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 AM

Has anybody made the switch from a 800mhz Comcast system to FIOS? Has it been worth it? So far I've been happy with Comcast's PQ and selection(I'm on the Canonsburg system), but their latest price hike is just too much. FIOS went live on my street this week so I might make the switch. I would save over $20 a month compared to Comcast, but I would loose several HD channels and HD on-demand. Still, it may be worth it to get away from Comcast. I was a Directv subscriber for over eight years, so I'd love to be Comcast-free again.
post #17 of 120 Old 05-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetjoneslives View Post

Has anybody made the switch from a 800mhz Comcast system to FIOS? Has it been worth it? So far I've been happy with Comcast's PQ and selection(I'm on the Canonsburg system), but their latest price hike is just too much. FIOS went live on my street this week so I might make the switch. I would save over $20 a month compared to Comcast, but I would loose several HD channels and HD on-demand. Still, it may be worth it to get away from Comcast. I was a Directv subscriber for over eight years, so I'd love to be Comcast-free again.

Make sure you are saving $20 per month. FIOS gives you something like 13 channels over the coax line without a box whereas Comcast gives you something like 80. When I compared the prices FIOS was roughly $30 more per month because I'd need one of their boxes on each TV to get the channels I want for my family. I don't think they have VS HD yet either which meant very few Pens games in HD if that matters to you.
post #18 of 120 Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM

Liked: 11
I'll be moving to the Dormont area in the next few days. I see the current listing on the Fios website and was wondering if anyone knows a time frame of when we'll be receiving some more HD channels? From what I read online, we are supposed to receive some channels around July, but I was curious to see if anyone had confirmation of this.
post #19 of 120 Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Fort Wayne, IN will be the first FIOS market to receive the new HD channels at the end of this month. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation beyond that.
post #20 of 120 Old 06-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

For those of you with FIOS TV in Bethel Park and Mt. Lebanon your local school district and community channels are on 31 and 32 for Bethel Park and 33 and 34 for Mt. Lebanon. Many probably already know this but a few may not.
post #21 of 120 Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Does anyone think that we will get Fox Sports Pittsburgh HD by the end of the year? I hear Comcast is providing the channel in the next month. I'm hoping that prompts Verizon to add the channel as well.
post #22 of 120 Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 AM

Hey guys. I'm hearing August 6th for the update in the Pittsburgh area. There are PDF's floating around with the new channel guide but don't have one to post right now. Fort Wayne, IN already got their updates and Oregon is supposed to get it later this month.
post #23 of 120 Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeezy13 View Post

Hey guys. I'm hearing August 6th for the update in the Pittsburgh area.

Received the letter and new channel lineup in the mail today that seems to confirm this.
post #24 of 120 Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 AM

The new channel lineup has been added to the Verizon FIOS website. When on the FIOS TV website, click on Channel Lineup and scroll down. On the right-hand side you will see all of the different areas and the dates they will receive the updates. Click on Pittsburgh 8/6 and you will see the updated PDF file.
post #25 of 120 Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I noticed that WPCW HD isn't listed. I thought I read a week or two ago that it was already up and running on FIOS? Is that true?

I'm going to be moving to McCandless in about two months and I'm so happy I can finally give comcast the boot once and for all. I'm just trying to figure out what stations I'm going to have access to so as to decide if I should go with FiosTV or DirecTV.
post #26 of 120 Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM

Keep in mind that in October/November we will be receiving more HD channels as well. Those channels and how many we get are still up in the air.
post #27 of 120 Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that in October/November we will be receiving more HD channels as well. Those channels and how many we get are still up in the air.

I thought Pittsburgh was supposed to get them July 28th.
post #28 of 120 Old 07-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Pittsburgh is supposed to get the first wave of new HD channels added on 8/06 with a second wave of additional HD channels coming sometime in October/November. I'm not sure what will be included on the second wave of channel though.
post #29 of 120 Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM

I would say august 6th not the 28th

on the guide is says at the bottom channels are moving august 6th
post #30 of 120 Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Pittsburgh is supposed to get the first wave of new HD channels added on 8/06 with a second wave of additional HD channels coming sometime in October/November. I'm not sure what will be included on the second wave of channel though.

I'm prayin' that SciFi HD is in the first wave, the SD currently does look much better than my previous Comcast box did, but taking it to HD, is just plain sweet, even if it is scaled up from 480i at the station.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page