Help please looking for a decent HDTV !!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-17-2001, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to this ,I don't know all the technical terms like you guys do,just want a affordable HDTV,I just got ATT digital cable and on my 27' Panasonic sucks.Would the Digital cable improve on a HDTV ?
My DVD is 4 years old,not the "Progressive Scanning " Just don't have the dinhero for all this at once.

I was thinking about this :

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

Which one is the best ? Remember I don't anything about HDTV.I'm looking for some advices.

Do I have to buy any add-on to make the HDTV 100% Digital ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-17-2001, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Where's everybody, vacation ? :confused:
post #3 of 9 Old 11-17-2001, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
If digital cable sucks now, then it will suck more on a bigger TV. You will be able to see the digital artifacts in more detail than ever before. Reading around, digital cable quality varies widely around the country.

-Robert
post #4 of 9 Old 11-17-2001, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

I just bought the Panasonic that you showed in your 3rd link. It was delivered this morning so I can only give first impressions. It replaced a 25" TV that was really cheap. Robert is right, you'll be much more aware of any defects in your current picture. It doesn't sound like it, but a 32 is a MUCH bigger set than a 25 or even a 27.

I can't really comment on the HD capabilies of the set yet, my STB won't be here till at least Wednesday. But for my satellite picture, it looks pretty darn good.

Two things, shop around if you can. I picked that set up for $1324, considerably cheaper than Best Buy. I got mine at ABT. Lot of folks here use them, but for me it's a local store so I was able to work the sales guy a little. Their website actually lists the set for $1699 and in the store the tag shows $1599.

Number 2, this thing is really heavy. Shipping weight is about 170 pounds. So mail-order may be out of the question if you have to pay for shipping.

I can't really comment on the others in your list since I don't own them. But the Panasonic has more inputs (2 component to 1) than the Samsung. And the Sony was just way out of my price range. Also, the Panasonic has PIP and the Samsung doesn't.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2001, 07:23 PM

If you ask your question again on the Hardware forum below, you'll get more and better responses, I believe. Good luck.

Don
post #6 of 9 Old 11-18-2001, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'll try that.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-18-2001, 11:53 AM

Bizuca,
I see that all of your choices are 4:3 ratio sets. If your target is low cost, you're on the right track. I have a Panny 34" Tau (16:9) set and am pleased. Just rember that even though a 32" set is much bigger than a 27", when you watch a letterboxed movie, the picture area will be about the same as your existing set. For size calculations see the link below.

Yes, the 16:9 sets are more much more expensive, but in just a couple of years, you might be kicking yourself. After all, wide screen is where HDTV is "at." Prices for 16:9's are declining; my Pany dropped 20% in 8 months! You might want to hold off on the purchase until both your (hopefully increasing) budget and (certainly) declining prices match.

ToddK

Screen Size Comparisions
post #8 of 9 Old 11-19-2001, 04:24 PM

I just purchased The Panasonic 47WX49 HD Television
and I'm in Love with it ! matched with the Dishnetwork MDL 6000

I bought the TV at Sears where they price matched the Internet for 1600.00 ! plus gave me 12 Months free financing ... Cool Deal

I would highly recommend this set ! and dump Cable and hook up with either Dish or DTV for the HD feed ( the later is in my own humble opinon )

here is a link to a PANNY site for more info.

http://www.supermotoitalia.com/panny/

Hope this helped
post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2001, 01:12 PM

I'm a Sony man myself. I have a Mitsu HDTV but it replaced my 27" Wega and I have to say I have never seen such a picture on a non-HD TV. I could only imagine what an HD Wega would look like.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page