New user / Mitsubishi owner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2001, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being new to the forum I thought I could use some help. Just purchased a Mitsubishi TV 55" HDTV. I want to get the most out of it using the HD. What hardware works best with this unit? and where would I buy it? I just got digital cable hooked up over the weekend. The picture really improved just going from analog to digital. Now I would like to take it a step farther, HD. Is cable the way to go or is satellite better? or does it make a difference? Also I was wondering if set up boxes are read writable?

Thanks, Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-29-2001, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Wayne,

Your HD quest will be long and hard... on digital cable. Unless the cable provider specifically states that they carry a HD signal forget it. Here in the SF bay area we have 8 digital stations. Not all broadcast an HD signal but the majors do (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS). And all you have to do to receive them is have a HD STB and an outside over the air (OTA) antenna. And from looking at online data you have 9 digital channels that you should be able to receive with an OTA antenna. Go to www.antennaweb.org to check out what you would need. If you do get an HD STB with satellite you would then have access to HBO HD and depending on which DBS service you get you would have access to Showtime HD, HDNet and PPV HD. It will be some time before satellite carries local HD channels due the bandwidth required to carry said signal. E* does offer CBS HD but only in special areas and you may have to get a wavier from the local CBS station (good luck getting it). There are no other "local channels" being carried by satellite today or the foreseeable future.

When you asked if set up boxes are read writable? Are you referring to the Set Top Box (STB)? If so, there are no read/writable boxes that I know of. If you are referring to STB that can be bypassed - we don't talk about that here.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2001, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Ken,

Antennas don't work in my area that why I went with cable. My understanding is digital cable gives you nothing more than a clearer picture vs. analog. If CBS or NBC is broadcasting in HD shouldn't I be receiving it that way.? Also regarding the STB will it be taking the place of the digital receiver my cable co. installed.?

Thanks, Wayne
post #4 of 4 Old 11-29-2001, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Wayne,

Most all digital cable signals are just a digitized version of the NTSC broadcast signal which gives you the better PQ. A few cable systems (TWC) are broadcasting both the NTSC and ATSC signals. And these require a different STB to receive. The ATSC signal is the best because it's digital all the way to your decoder no mater if it's broadcast over the air or over cable.

You can have both the digital cable box as well as the sat STB connected to your Mits. It's just a question of how you want to view the material. I connect my HTPC and my Mits STB via Key Digital switch. The digital cable will most likely have a Component Video connection (Y/Pr/Pb) for the HD stuff. Or else it will have an RGB connection. If neither of these 2 then I don't think you are getting true HD. If you only get NTSC off of the digital cable then it will most likely be S-Video or better yet, regular Component Video (Y/Cr/Cb) connection to your Mits HDTV. Remember, the DTV input is your HD connection (1080i). The Component inputs are your SD connection (480i/p).
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page