OTA antenna in attic? Damascus MD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-06-2001, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to install an OTA antenna in the attic (for aethetic reasons) to receive both Baltimore and DC channels. Anyone from the general area with actual in attic experience?

House is in Damascus, MD. The house faces due South, roof is regular shingle, no aluminized or metal backed insulation in the attic, the house has aluminum siding. According to antenna web information, Baltimore is about 2.30 'O' clock and DC about 5.30 'O' clock from the house.

I have to get someone to install for me - I want to do it right the first time. Install outside is always possible but as last measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-07-2001, 02:59 AM

beboram,

I'm in Finksburg, near Westminster. I tried an attic antenna. I could get baltimore OK, but it was really a no-go for DC. I alos tried one of those Terk amplified stick antennas, that really didn't work well either. I finally ended up with a roof antenna and rotor & I get all stations very well except for WETA from DC. For some reason that doesn't come in very well.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-07-2001, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Brewerboy, thanks for the info.

What make, size, model antenna are you using? Are you also using a rotor and signal amplifier?
post #4 of 19 Old 12-08-2001, 02:07 PM

Beboram,

I think I can add a little more info. I'm in Gaithersburg and have a Radio Shack VR90 or 75? in the attic pointing toward DC and a Radio Shack UHF only in the attic pointing toward Baltimore for channel 52 with an AB switch going to a Sony Sat 100 HD tuner. I get signal levels of 94(WETA) to 97-100 on 34. 36. 39 and 48 without having to move antenna and around 79-83 for 52 in Baltimore.

BTW, this is my first post; the AVS forum has been a great source of information; I hope I can give some back.

Dave
post #5 of 19 Old 12-09-2001, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks golfguy. That's the kind of information I am looking for. Just out of curiosity - did you try to position the VHF/UHF/FM antenna to a position that would pull in both Baltimore and Washington?

I have a practical problem, there is only one RG6 wire in the attic which goes to a "home run" spot in the basement. It would be a BIG job trying to pull a second wire for a 2 antenna solution.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-09-2001, 12:31 PM

beboram,

In my case, I originally installed the vhf/uhf in the attic before I had an HD tuner and adjusted it for best DC vhf reception. When I got the hd tuner I found I had great reception without readjusting but could not receive any Baltimore stations. A couple weeks ago I picked up the $20 RS uhf and played around with the position (very touchy) to get channel 52. There is no position that will allow decent performance for both DC and Baltimore (about 75 degrees difference in aiming). I have a 2 year old house and was able to install 2 chase lines from the attic to the basement during construction. My attic is tight and does not have room to rotate a vhf/uhf antenna BUT I could use a rotor with a UHF only antenna to receive DC and Baltimore with one antenna. Realize that if your goal is mainly to get the HD signals you only need a UHF antenna. There's a lot of good information on the forum about picking a good antenna.

Dave
post #7 of 19 Old 12-10-2001, 04:11 AM

beboram,

I have a Zenith medium sized antenna on the roof with a rotor and an amplifier - can't remember the model #. It's probably equivalent to Daves's VR75. The amplifier actually made a big difference as I have a fairly long cable run. I have a Sony HD100 and get all Balt stations in the 90s. When I rotate I can also get the Washington stations in the 80s. There is one spot where I can get them all together, but even though the signal strength is decent for all, in the 70s, the signal is prone to break up for all kinds of reasons, like a plane going by, etc. So I rotate.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but if you wanted to go the 2 seperate antennas pointing in different directions and only have the one cable run, I believe that you could use a combiner (a splitter, used in reverse basically) to place them on the same cable. When I was playing with attic placement this is what someone told me, I abandoned the attic and never tried it, but it might work.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-10-2001, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks brewerboy and golfguy.

The relative locations for Baltimore and Washington stations are about 90 degrees apart in my case - golfguy said he could not find a suitable spot with about a 75% separation. I doubt if I can find a suitable compromise location. A combiner with two antenna will likely cause ghosting due to the additive effect of two antennas.

I am now leaning towards an outdoor with a rotor. The HOA may have fit - but they may be out of luck.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-11-2001, 04:05 AM

Hi ya folks,

Although I'm in VA, I do have yagi with a preamp and rotor so I can pickup Balto stations. Preamp I have is the Winegard 4800 and rotor is the CM9521.

The rotor is really neat. It's programmable and remote controlled. I got it from Consumerdirect for much much less than starkelectronic.

Thanks,
Errol

Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site
post #10 of 19 Old 12-12-2001, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Kealii-

What is the advantage for you to shoot up to Baltimore OTHER than ABC (due to the local D.C. ABC being a slug and not broadcasting in HD)? I am in Woodbridge, and will try to just get CBS, NBC, PBS (WETA), and then I guess I have to attempt Baltimore for ABC HD.
So is there anything other than ABC that Baltimore has that D.C. does not?

PS. I am considering the Winegard 9085 (one down from the monster 9095) yagi style. I can see going rotor, but I'd like to avoid a pre-amp (to avoid "noise" and multi-path).
post #11 of 19 Old 12-13-2001, 04:51 AM

Hi wolvernole,

Just a handful of reasons.

* The two markets at times provide different programming (e.g., football games).
* For a specific program, I choose the station with less obtrusive banner.
* If a station drops out due to some reason, I can switch to the other market.

It's choice I suppose.

Thanks,
Errol

Keohi HDTV
post #12 of 19 Old 12-13-2001, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

WOLVERNOLE, go to antennaweb.org - it will help you select the size and type of antenna based on your specific location down to the street. It will also plot the relative directions of each station from your house.

BTW Channelmaster also makes good antennas. IMO Terk is overpriced
post #13 of 19 Old 12-14-2001, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Also in Gaithersburg.

Had an antenna in the attic and DC or Baltimore was an either or proposition. Signal strenth was in the low 70s to 60s on a clear day. But here was the killer.

When it rained my signal dropped to where I got drop outs every few moments. This was due to the change in density of the roof when it rains.

Got an external antenna and mounted it to the chimney. Its a 9 foot unit but now I get DC in the 90% signal range. Rain snow etc can't faze it either. Trees with leaves, without leaves.. no change really.

It is still an either or with the Baltimore/DC thing. I leave the antenna aimed at DC. The only benefit of aiming it to Baltimore is then I can get 720P ABC. DC ABC brodcasts in 4:3 480P (Lazy *******s!) As there is not much I am interested in watching on ABC. CBS DC is in the 98% signal range most of the time.

WDCA UPN is not online due to that whole debacle with the tower on River.

Thanks to dish network I get UPN from the sat channels anyways.

No preamp on the antenna line. Don't use it to pull in SD very often.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-14-2001, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Darien, do you have HOA in your neighborhood? If YES did they try to give your grief over the outdoor antenna? I know the new FCC Rule pre-empt local restrictions - but I am told most HOA's are not up to date with such info. or try to brow beat residents. Just curious!!

Also did you get the antenna installed or wasit DIY. If a company did it - would you please share their name and phone?
post #15 of 19 Old 12-14-2001, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

No HOA here. If there were I am sure they would have said something when my neighbors burned down their home, then rebuilt it, and painted it periwinkle blue.

I work for a custom install company in remote programming and system intergration. I picked up the antenna at radio shack and had it up in about an hour. Its the 9 footer they sell there.

Go to my user profile if you want to email me.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-18-2001, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Any Progress with the HD reception?

I am thinking of going up on the roof today and aiming at Baltimore to see what channels I get that way now. That whole thinkg with Alias really annoyed me.

Tonight I get JAG in HD then 24 in 480P 16:9. Maybe I will move the antenna on a night when I watch ABC. All one day of the week.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-18-2001, 07:50 AM

Hi beboram,

Quote:
but I am told most HOA's are not up to date with such info
A few years ago perhaps, but I can't imagine any HOAs not knowing about the FCC ruling. Besides, ignorance is not an excuse. If they are informed of the FCC ruling, they should investigate asap and modify their policy accordingly to better serve the community.

Fairfax Antenna installed my antenna, rotor, and preamp bought online. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Thanks,
Errol

Keohi HDTV
post #18 of 19 Old 12-18-2001, 07:59 AM
GSF

Channel Master and Weingard make the best antennas.
If you have a problem with reception their tech support depts.
are very friendly and knowledgable.
post #19 of 19 Old 12-18-2001, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Darian, no activity on the antenna front yet. I got the prices for the antenna, rotor, mast etc. from Shipley's in Frederick today. They will sent out someone to give me an estimate for the installation after the holidays early next year. They will also install a DirectTV oval dish at the same time. All this inquiry and planning is in anticipation of a HT system sometime in 2002.

Prices:

ChannelMaster antenna model 3672 - $ 93.00
ChannelMaster Rotor and mast - $120.00
DirectTV oval dish - $160.00

They said DirectTV may have a special on oval dish next year -after they add the new satellite.

Kealli, I will also give Fairfax antenna a call and get some prices - I do not know if they will come out this far.

I have downloaded the exact Regulation ifrom the FCC site - I will give the HOA a copy if they object.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page