Clarksburg-Weston, WV - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There hasn't been any discussion dedicated to the 166th DMA of Clarksburg-Weston, WV, so I figured I might start the discussion.

Currently of our three local broadcasters, only WBOY (NBC) is currently broadcasting a digital signal that can be reached outside of Clarksburg. I have been told that WDTV (CBS) and WVFX (Fox) are also broadcasting a digital signal that is very weak and only receiveable if you are standing next to their tower.

Anyone been able to successfully use this signals on a day-to-day basis?

Does anyone have any status about these stations future transition plans or their move to HD? I was informed last year that WBOY was the closest to broadcasting in HD? Anyone with the lastest information would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM

I'll hopefully be doing some OTA testing in the next few weeks as we drop Time Warner Cable (TWC) and move on to Dish or DirecTV. I'll advise of my findings. My wife worked for TWC for many years (until 2005) and knows quite a bit about the local stations. She reports that it'll be "a long time" before we see any HD stuff in this area. The only reason TWC broadcasts CBS and ABC in HD is because they're picking up KDKA and WTAE out of Pittsburgh.....
post #3 of 45 Old 02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Is WNPB-DT broadcasting in HD?
post #4 of 45 Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 AM

Hopefully I'll be able to add to this thread in the future. Just purchased our first HDTV (Toshiba 40XF550) and also signed up for DISH service. We live in southern Harrison county and currently have Suddenlink. Since it will take them another year at least to get HD service in our area, I had to make the switch.
post #5 of 45 Old 07-29-2008, 07:49 PM

I don't know about WBOY, but WVFX (FOX) and WDTV (CBS) will most certainly be full HDTV by the end of the year, and at full power. Withers Broadcasting now owns WVFX, so the upgrades are happening across the board for both stations. I know someone that works there, and all four wheels are turning fast. Unconfirmed rumors suggest that both these stations will be doing local news in full HD as well! YES!

Also something interesting, WBOY has aquired the ABC affiliate license for Clarksburg, and will have ABC as their second (SDTV) channel.
post #6 of 45 Old 08-24-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

WBOY has now begun to broadcast HD on 12-1 (NBC). Great picture quality (1080p)! Viewing the Olympics in HD has been outstanding. My understanding is that at least Time Warner has also made this channel available on their digital tier. I don't know about the other cable systems in the North Central WV area.

WBOY has also begun to broadcast on 12-2. This is an ABC affiliate, and branded as My ABC. WBOY news is available including a live version at 7pm weeknights (only available on 12-2). In addition to the ABC lineup, they also have other syndicated programming not available on other local channels. I have been informed by the station that they are broadcasting ABC programs in HD (would have to 720 with 12-1 using 1080). I haven't seen this as yet. I am only seeing a 480 signal during HD ABC programs.

WDTV and WVFX are in the process of acquiring their HD equipment and I have been told they will be HD by the end of the year. We'll see. I sure hope so.
post #7 of 45 Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 AM

Glad to see these locals finally getting up to speed in our area. I just wonder if WBOY will go on Dish soon?
post #8 of 45 Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Any developments in the Clarksburg-Weston market? Other than WNPB and WBOY, is anyone else in the market broadcasting an HD signal yet?
post #9 of 45 Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM

Anyone in the West Fairmont area currently getting WVNPB's digital HD signal OTA? I'd like to get Nature and Frontline in HD again, but wanted to ask before
I started building my antenna, see www.casano.com/projects/hoverman/index.html, please let me know...

I'm hoping I'll be able to get good signal since I'm on top of the hill overlooking
the college and country club road.

Thanks

Jesse
post #10 of 45 Old 06-22-2009, 01:26 PM

So whats going on the with Clarksburg market HD channels now? I'm in Morgantown with Comcast and they just added WDTV-HD as channel 705. However they have yet to add WBOY-HD. I've heard it exists but I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Is WVFX broadcasting in HD? Comcast doesn't have it yet either.
post #11 of 45 Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Yes, finally we have HD in Clarksburg. WDTV, WVFX, and WBOY are all now broadcasting HD and with pretty good off air signal strength. I'm impressed...............
post #12 of 45 Old 06-25-2009, 04:14 AM

That's good news. Now if only we could get Comcrap to carry them. Instead they've chosen to carry 5 PBS feeds and multicasts I don't mind having 2 PBS stations (WNPB and WQED), but is it really necessary when you only have 45 HD channels to waste valuable bandwidth on the PBS multicasts? They still haven't added WBOYHD, WVFXHD, Spike-HD, Travel-HD. Yet it seams like every week they are adding a new PBS subchannel. I would love to see them add the WBOY ABC channel for when football and basketball season start back up.
post #13 of 45 Old 06-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

I can recall reading somewhere that WBOY would be providing an HD version of their digital 12.2 ABC affiliate to cable providers, but I guess that hasn't materialized. My parents in Tucker County just recently switched from cable to Dish, and I was surprised to see 12.2 on there. Hopefully Dish picks up the Clarksburg-Weston HD channels sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath.
post #14 of 45 Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 AM

i just installed an antenna this week. I have not seen anything other than 480i on 12.2. Are they not broadcasting in HD OTA?
post #15 of 45 Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
90% of n.2 subchannels are in SD. There are not enough bits in the transmitted data to encode both 12.1 and 12.2 in HD.

BTW, WDTV has applied for a power increase.
post #16 of 45 Old 12-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Before I post the particulars of my sound problem I want to make sure it is ok for me a NON-professional in the AV industry to use this forum for help. Please let me know.
Michael

/\__/\
(='.'=) Angus
(") (") Skye
(") (") Finn
post #17 of 45 Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Absolutely. People here at AVS are enthusiasts. There are professionals here too, of course, but definitely feel free to ask.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #18 of 45 Old 12-29-2009, 10:50 AM

I have a reception issue with a local TV channel over-the-air, WDTV 5 Clarksburg WV. Whenever this channel is broadcasting an HD program the sound "stutters" that is it rapidly cuts in and out. Programs broadcast in SD are fine. The engineer for WDTV says, of course, it is not their fault, and he may be correct. I have an extended warranty on the TV,
Samsung LNT4042HX/XAA. The warranty people have had it checked out by 2 technicians from different companies. One says it is a compatability problem and not the fault of the TV. But no other LCD HD TV in my home has a problem with this only the Samsung. The second technician recommended replacing the TV as the only solution to the problem, but the warranty company says it is not the fault of the TV. The technician said there is NOT a problem with my TV antenna system and there is nothing there to fix. I don't understand the position of the warranty company and the "compatability" issue. How do I fight them, or how to I fix the problem? Is anyone knowledgeable on these issues?
Michael

/\__/\
(='.'=) Angus
(") (") Skye
(") (") Finn
post #19 of 45 Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post

I have a reception issue with a local TV channel over-the-air, WDTV 5 Clarksburg WV. Whenever this channel is broadcasting an HD program the sound "stutters" that is it rapidly cuts in and out. Programs broadcast in SD are fine. The engineer for WDTV says, of course, it is not their fault, and he may be correct. I have an extended warranty on the TV,
Samsung LNT4042HX/XAA. The warranty people have had it checked out by 2 technicians from different companies. One says it is a compatability problem and not the fault of the TV. But no other LCD HD TV in my home has a problem with this only the Samsung. The second technician recommended replacing the TV as the only solution to the problem, but the warranty company says it is not the fault of the TV. The technician said there is NOT a problem with my TV antenna system and there is nothing there to fix. I don't understand the position of the warranty company and the "compatability" issue. How do I fight them, or how to I fix the problem? Is anyone knowledgeable on these issues?
Michael

Mine aso does this with channel 5 out of clarksburg. I notice it a lot when watching CSI in HD. I can turn over to KDKA-HD and don't have the problem. It's definately something on WDTV's end. It's not your TV.
post #20 of 45 Old 12-31-2009, 08:53 AM

BlackwaterStout,
Are you receiving WDTV & KDKA over the air? Do you have a Samsung? If yes what model?
Michael

/\__/\
(='.'=) Angus
(") (") Skye
(") (") Finn
post #21 of 45 Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 PM

No I have an LG TV and I am receiving them through comcast. I have the exact same audio issue. Back in the early days of KDKA going Hi Def I remember them having the same problems.
post #22 of 45 Old 12-31-2009, 03:27 PM

If you have not complained to Comcast it would be worthwhile doing so. I have talked with the engineer at WDTV about the problem, of course he denies any problem on their end. I will contact him again and include your inform also maybe he will have a second look and be more objective.

/\__/\
(='.'=) Angus
(") (") Skye
(") (") Finn
post #23 of 45 Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 AM

Certainly the audio is not a Comcast issue. If you have the same audio issues OTA then it's not on Comcast's end. They are close enough they are probably receiving the WDTV-HD feed OTA and just passing it along. Obvicouly the engineer at WDTV doesn't know what he's atlking about trying to deny there is an audio issue. If you are receiving that channel over the air then it's either WDTV's issue or your TV is the problem. And I don't believe thats the case.

I haven't been watching WDTV-HD on comcast because of the audio issues. They may be cleared up by now. I just watch KDKA. I'd rather watch WDTV since it's in-state but the last time I DVR'd something on WDTV the audio was screwed up and it was too late to do anything about it.
post #24 of 45 Old 08-01-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I would really like some information from other Clarksburg OTA viewers, especially from those watching WDTV in Morgantown.

I'm in Morgantown and can get a very stable WDTV signal OTA, but most of the time when there's HD programming, the picture just becomes very pixelated and sometimes the audio will drop out. Also, his may just be me being paranoid, but I've noticed that when the picture is pixelated, it's almost always only during the programming. The commercials are very watchable, but the program is always horrible. Is someone tampering with it intentionally? It also usually occurs during big events (golf tournaments, primetime shows, etc) and not on things like The Price is Right or morning/daytime shows. I have DirecTV (standard def) and I don't have WDTV, so I can't confirm if it's just a problem on my end, but I don't think it is. Has anyone else experienced these problems?

It seems fishy to me. I'm eagerly awaiting for the FCC to approve KDKA's Morgantown translator so I can fianlly watch some CBS shows.

BTW I can get WVFX and WBOY just fine out of Clarksburg, and they're both great. I also get WPXI's translator signal in Uniontown, and used to be able to get WTAE's signal, but it was blocked by a new house being built behind me. :/
post #25 of 45 Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Hi Alexlai,
May I, please, know what outdoor antenna are you using? Just moved to Morgantown and I only get the PBS channels (even for that I had to take the small indoor antenna outside). So, I am now shopping for a serious UHF/VHF outdoor antenna.
Thanks!
post #26 of 45 Old 08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditud View Post

So, I am now shopping for a serious UHF/VHF outdoor antenna.
Thanks!

You might want to consider separate outdoor antennas for UHF (pointed roughly North) and VHF (pointed towards Clarksburg) combined with a UVSJ in Morgantown.
post #27 of 45 Old 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Go to tvfool.com, use the start maps link, and be sure the receive location pointer is over your location. Update the antenna height to the right value, the create the radar plot. Post the URL of the report here, and we'll tell you what type of antenna to get.
post #28 of 45 Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post

Go to tvfool.com, use the start maps link, and be sure the receive location pointer is over your location.

You're right Dave, we really need the TV fool report. Here's a generic but probably optimistic Morgantown report until then.
LL
post #29 of 45 Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM

The terrain in northern WV is tremendously "bumpy," so trying to generalize reception potential over a wide area is fruitless.
post #30 of 45 Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 AM

Hello,
This is what tvfool.com yields for my location. Also, you should know that I have some serious restrictions: I rent a townhome and can only place the aerial on the balcony (or attached to it). The balcony is facing East, so the West is blocked by the building. The antenna cannot go more than 15' high (from ground level) and it won't clear the building to the West.
Thanks!
LL
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page