post #1 of 4 Old 12-11-2001, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a link to the Broadcasting & Cable magazine story:

http://www.tvinsite.com/broadcasting...y=breakingNews

The networks will continue to have seperate identities and "personalities", for lack of a better term.

This move is supposed to create savings from consolidation of efforts behind the scenes, as it were. I wonder how this might influence whether or when UPN might do some HDTV?

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-11-2001, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave...Might this move potentially have larger implications should the ownership rules be relaxed? For example, in Atlanta, our UPN station is an O&O while the CBS station is owned by Meredith. Would it be to CBS' advantage to purchase our CBS affiliate from Meredith? I'm thinking in terms of personnel, hardware, etc. as well as programming.

Life's a roller coaster. Wear a seatbelt and don't stand up on the hills...
post #3 of 4 Old 12-11-2001, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Linda, that's an excellent point. And one not lost on me: I work for a CBS affiliate in West Palm Beach. Viacom owns the CBS station down the road in Miami, the WB in Miami and they operate the WB/UPN combo afilliate here in West Palm via facilities in Miami. They recently stated their intention of producing local newscasts for the West Palm WB/UPN station. How many years before I become a CBS employee? A worse fate: I get replaced by someone else through "consolidation" or "synergy". :rolleyes:

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #4 of 4 Old 12-11-2001, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

To take this one step further, is CBS looking at the NBC/PAX relationship?

NBC owns 35% of PAX. As an independent, PAX exists largely as a pipe for repurposed programming. (Isn't this just a new name for syndicated reruns?) CBS has gone to the trouble of giving its primetime shows the high definition treatment. Yet, other than reruns between sweeps periods, CBS has no place for these HD versions of their shows to be aired in HD.

If Viacom HDTV-enables their UPN stations, they can then present that CBS product once again in full HDTV glory, recouping some of the additional expense. HDTV-hungry viewers have another source for, if nothing else, a chance to catch an episode of CSI they previously missed or would like to see again. New viewers sampling the UPN station may then tune in to CBS to view the newest episodes.

Since I anticipate a shrinking independent station market in the wake of this digital transition, seems a natural move to me. Plus, they can groom employees at UPN stations and then send them across the street, so to speak, to their CBS affiliate.

Lot of positives to be found, along with your concerns which I fully understand.

Life's a roller coaster. Wear a seatbelt and don't stand up on the hills...
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page