People I really ENVY you!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-12-2001, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are no TV stations transmitting any digital programming on my area yet, I don't have DirectTV but the satellite that provides the service on my area is not sending digital programming either, I only have cable TV but forget it, I don't think they are going to do something until 2004. Companies on my area only think on how to make bigger profit while providing less service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-12-2001, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

oh! sorry my question is, Local station are ruled by the FCC determinations so they must comply with them. Can somebody tell me the exact schedules when the stations must broadcast digital programming? I know about the 2006 deadline but I has been asking some stations here and I doubt it much that they will be ready for that deadline. What is going to happen to those that does not comply?
post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2001, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

I call the FCC. They sent me 3 documents and from what I read, cable TV companies are not forced to provide a top set box with HDTV capability (I have no problem I can buy that box), but they MUST transmit the signal, Am I right? If they transmit the signal using that "quadrature modulation" stuff, the programs are going to be 720p/1080i or downgraded to standard definition?:confused:
post #4 of 6 Old 12-13-2001, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

You don't say where you are at but in general, the choices for Digital (SD or HD) are satellite; OTA, and/or cable. If your locals are not yet on the air with digital signals then you are not alone. This site shows who is broadcasting now and has links for other information. http://www.nab.org/newsroom/issues/d...tvstations.asp

Satellite programming is very limited and primarily premiums like HBO or Showtime although DirecTV does have HDNET. DISH has CBS in a few limited areas (very restricted).

For OTA, you will have to check periodically with your local stations to check on their status as when they will be on the air. You will need a HD receiver (STB) and an appropriate antenna.

Cable is another story. There is no mandate yet for must-carry. Some companies like Time Warner are starting to provide HD service with HBO and Showtime and addiing locals once they are OTA in your area. Cable usually provides their programming over the cable in a form different from OTA (QAM 256 rather than 8-VSB) which means you have to use the box they provide (you rent; not buy). The boxes currently in use output the programming in 1080i for your TV.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2001, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

THANKS!!!!

I live in Puerto Rico as a US territory we must comply to FCC standards but local stations do not relay programming from the big national broadcast stations, instead they only retransmit Telemundo and Univision so to get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX etc, you have to take the cable TV or Direct TV road. Cable TV here is operated by Adelphia. None of them DirectTV or Adelphia have plans to provide HD transitions here. The top set boxes that they are currently providing don't have a component, vga or DVI port, only composite and in some isolated cases s-video.

I contacted must of the local channels here and none of them except one, seems to be worry about the FCC deadlines.

Anyway I live in an apartment without DirectTV, cable is the only option so it seems that I am...!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :(
post #6 of 6 Old 12-15-2001, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Believe there's one other option for getting HDTV, although it might take some effort convincing neighbors and building management. That's putting DBS or even the large 'BUD' atop your building. Suspect there are firms there that specialize in this.

Since I don't have a view for DBS access in NYC, I've looked into such services for my apartment building. Costs aren't too high when they're shared by many in a building, and often such additions can be considered building upgrades, adding value. (We do have limited HDTV cable service, so I haven't really pushed for building DBS.)

I started research by going to DirecTV.com, which lead to sites about multiple-dwelling installations, which lead to telephone contacts for local firms that handle such apartment DBS/BUD installations. Of course, there are the Yellow Pages, too. -- John
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page