Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 10083 Old 02-23-2005, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Originally posted by DianaTWCSC
I have put the Engineers on the trail and haven't heard anything yet but will begin pestering them again first thing in the morning.

Just make sure you feed them well...BoBiscuits will get you far!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 10083 Old 02-24-2005, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kevinivey
Thank You,

That artifact happened for less than a second. I originally thought they were from the network, but last night I watched AI "live" on my set with a internal HD tuner. Absolutely no glitches at all. I later watched my recording from the 8300 on my other set and experienced the same type of artifacts. My next step is to record AI tonight on both my 8300s and see if they glitch at the same time in the recording. I do not know if the SA software is causing the problems. If the 256 Qam is being overloaded, then I would hope that it is getting addressed.

Yes, my breakups appear for less than a second in all cases.

Last night's American Idol (AI) was downright terrible. Towards the end of the broadcast, there was something that resembled static constantly overlaying the audio. Pausing and restarting didn't fix it...eventually it went away and was fine the rest of the 10 minutes or so in the show.

I have gotten so used to the pops and crackles on ABC-HD (Lost) and Fox-HD (AI), that when I watch an HD channel like DiscHD or ESPN-HD, it's a like a blissful breath of fresh air.
post #4053 of 10083 Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 PM

Liked: 10
Hello everyone I need to ask one quick question. The 8000dvr when I hit pause, stop or any button all I get is a blank screen, I hit play and it does nothing. The only way to get its started again is to change the channel. Do I need anothe box. Thanks Mitch
post #4054 of 10083 Old 02-24-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Mitchell B.
Hello everyone I need to ask one quick question. The 8000dvr when I hit pause, stop or any button all I get is a blank screen, I hit play and it does nothing. The only way to get its started again is to change the channel. Do I need another box. Thanks Mitch

Have you tried a cold reboot to see if that helps? (pull the power plug for 10 sec). That would be my first move before I replaced the box. Doing this appears to clear out corrupted programming held in the box's RAM.

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #4055 of 10083 Old 02-24-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IrmoGamecoq
Yes, my breakups appear for less than a second in all cases.

Last night's American Idol (AI) was downright terrible. Towards the end of the broadcast, there was something that resembled static constantly overlaying the audio.

The audio hiccups were present on both WACH's SD channel 6 and on HD. It may have been coming in the feed to TWC. I didn't check OTA, so I can say for sure.
post #4056 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 05:41 AM

Diana (or anyone who might know), I've decided to pick up a DVR from TWC. For $5 more a month I'd be crazy not to. Problem is I don't have time during the week to swing by one of the offices because I live and work on the NE side of town, so it would be a long drive down. Anyway, I noticed the Greystone office has hours for Saturday. Is it possible for me to pick up an 8300HD from that location? Do I stand a good chance of them having any there? Is there a way to call ahead to make sure I don't waste the 30 min. drive down there?

I'm tempted to schedule an appt and have them bring one out to me, but then I remembered someone stating that you can't request a particular model STB. They could show up at my door with an 8000HD.

Any help is appreciated.
post #4057 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi There,

The 8300 has been available at Greystone. They receive deliveries from the Warehouse 5 days a week (monday through friday) so the chances are pretty good. This office is also open to 8pm on Thursday nights. You cannot call ahead - there are no phones to the front counters - phones go to our Division Call Center who don't have access to front counter stock info.

A Truck Roll provides no guarantee of an 8300 because there is no way to request one via the billing system - 8000 and 8300 are the same converter type and service code.

Diana Smith
Director of Marketing for Video Services
Read our Phil the Cable Guy Blog!
post #4058 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 07:05 AM

Thanks Diana. I guess I'll just try my luck on Saturday (tomorrow) and see what happens. Are these 8300HD's a hot commodity, i.e. do you have people requesting these things often? Just trying to gauge the likelyhood of one being there.
post #4059 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

You would be surprised at the 'lack of awareness' most HD owners have about the capability. So beyond Forum participants it is not something people generally clammer about.

So, it really depends on how the HD DVR units were stacked in the cabinet. If all the 8300s ended up on the top of the stack for some reason, they might be gone.... or if someone said, ohhhh the silver one's are prettier! can I have one of those?

Diana Smith
post #4060 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 07:29 AM

That's what I figured. The general public aren't HD-nuts like most of us on this forum are. Most people aren't in the know and wouldn't have a clue about the different models. Heck most people don't even know about HD yet. Thanks for the insight... I think I'll try my luck tomorrow.
post #4061 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
===Local Stations owned by Emmis wont allow on Cable Update=====

The Cox cable regional manager meet in Omaha with a Emmis Manager.

Emmis is still demanding to be paid for there over the air signal that is free.
Emmis is also still planning on dropping to 480P and starting there new USDTV cable tv over the air pay service.

http://www.usdtv.com/

In the meeting the Emmis manager said that ALL station managers will be meeting in March to talk about the HD on Cable issue.

Folks, your Emails to the stations are working keep emailing and calling your Emmis station.
post #4062 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by usace
That's what I figured. The general public aren't HD-nuts like most of us on this forum are. Most people aren't in the know and wouldn't have a clue about the different models. Heck most people don't even know about HD yet. Thanks for the insight... I think I'll try my luck tomorrow.

Well, good luck. I've been trying to get one at the Greystone location for 3 weeks now. Granted I'm not going down there every day, but still. My buddy went down the day before me and got the last one last week. Oh, and it was his first try.

My wife is going there right now. I'll let you know and maybe save you a trip.
post #4063 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 01:49 PM

usace, you are going to hate me, my wife just got the last 8300 at the Greystone location. Sorry.
post #4064 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Uh, yeah, and USDTV is nearly tanking...
post #4065 of 10083 Old 02-25-2005, 09:05 PM

I came home and connected by 8300HD box today. Picture looks great and everything seemed to work just fine, until I lost digital audio. I had the audio connected with a digital coax cable, so I hooked up and optical cable and it didn't make any difference. If I change to an analog channel I have audio or if I change the audio setting on the box from Dolby Digital to Other I get audio (but no DD5.1). If I shut the box off and turn it on, I get sound again, but I lose it once I start changing channels. I did not stop on a channel and see if the sound would drop out after time.

Is this a common problem or do I need to swap out this box?

I wanted to use the 8300 in the home theater room, but I may have to put it downstairs and swap a 3100 to 3250 for the HT. Are there any digital audio issues with the 3250?

Thanks.
post #4066 of 10083 Old 02-27-2005, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have these channels? Do they come in clear? Do you ever notice pixellation while watching these two channels? I've had problems for over a month with these channels. I have two 8300's and they both have the same problem. I will most likely need to call a CSR and have a rep come out and check my setup. My S/N level is 36db-39db.
post #4067 of 10083 Old 02-27-2005, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I have never had a problem with these channels and they look awesome on my 8300.
post #4068 of 10083 Old 02-27-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was at my end. Mostly likely a hub issue in my area. I have called to setup a service call. I should had called when this first occurred. I just figured it was a network issue and it would correct itself, but that does not appear to be my current situation.
post #4069 of 10083 Old 02-27-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Dolby digital output from both my dvrs has stopped. I can switch them to pcm, and they will output through the digital output. Does anyone else have this problem?

Edit: both boxes were rebooted, both came back up in stuttering dolby digital output. Changed channels ,and then came back to the stuttering channel. Now, all is ok. Very strange day in my West Cola/ Lexington area.
post #4070 of 10083 Old 02-27-2005, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 128
No problem here with HD or Dolby Digital and the NASCAR race on TWC WFXB FOX channel 820 8300 DVR.
post #4071 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by maurerrm
usace, you are going to hate me, my wife just got the last 8300 at the Greystone location. Sorry.

LOL, so you're the one!? I logged on here to say I had been unsuccessful picking up an 8300HD from the greystone location on saturday morning. The woman at the counter said I should have called ahead to check instead of wasting my time, to which I replied "I was told there wasn't a way to do that." She said she was sorry, but someone had misinformed me. She said to just call and ask someone to check the front counter.

It was a waste of time, but I learned that they will check the front counter if you call ahead.

I'll just have my wife pick one up this week during her lunch break since she works downtown.
post #4072 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, so you're the one!? The woman at the counter said I should have called ahead to check instead of wasting my time, to which I replied "I was told there wasn't a way to do that." She said she was sorry, but someone had misinformed me. She said to just call and ask someone to check the front counter.

It was a waste of time, but I learned that they will check the front counter if you call ahead.

That may be the 'unofficial' activity at the Greystone location. But the general rule is they are not supposed to leave the call center to go to the front counter and if the call volume is heavy I'm sure that you will probably get the answer that they can't do that. If you are trying to go to another location they would not be able to physically do that.

Diana Smith
post #4073 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 AM

That's what I figured, but she said that "most of the time" they'll run out to the counter and check inventory if you ask them to. I'm not really upset because I knew I was taking a risk, but am a bit dissapointed that there isn't a better system in place.

It just puzzles me that someone has to go through this much trouble to get the box they want. It would be so nice to just make an appt and have someone bring it out to me. If only you could specify on the service ticket the model you wanted. I'm surprised there isn't a comments/notes section on one of these tickets where a telephone rep could make the comment "customer requests model 8300HD" or something similar for the technician.
post #4074 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If only you could specify on the service ticket the model you wanted. I'm surprised there isn't a comments/notes section on one of these tickets where a telephone rep could make the comment "customer requests model 8300HD" or something similar for the technician.

I JUMPED UP AND DOWN AND SCREAMED FOR THAT!

I was outvoted.

Customer comment section of billing system, doesn't print on the Work Order the Tech see's. Plus since the models aren't separate in the billing system, the warehouse doesn't see them any different when the Tech picks up his weekly stock.... etc, its a vicious cycle.

Diana Smith
post #4075 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DianaTWCSC
I JUMPED UP AND DOWN AND SCREAMED FOR THAT!

LOL, at least you tried. If only a few more people down there had had some common sense like you.
post #4076 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I never had a problem getting any model of HD box at the West Columbia location. I also never had to stand in line at that location.
post #4077 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I'm surprised that noone commented on the fact the WOLO switched to SD at 11pm during Oscars and back to HD at 11:25pm. The guide indicated Oscars to finish at 11:30pm.
post #4078 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I did in the HD programming Forum.

Note: American Idol is not flagged as first run for Today or Tommorrow.
post #4079 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If only a few more people down there had had some common sense like you.

Depends on your common sense. For the Billing System Department and Finance Group, maintaining the same model type for the HD DVR was the only thing that made sense.

Diana Smith
post #4080 of 10083 Old 02-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Quote:

LOL, so you're the one!? I logged on here to say I had been unsuccessful picking up an 8300HD from the greystone location on saturday morning. The woman at the counter said I should have called ahead to check instead of wasting my time, to which I replied "I was told there wasn't a way to do that." She said she was sorry, but someone had misinformed me. She said to just call and ask someone to check the front counter.

My wife called ahead of time, the person checked for her and told her they were out of 8300's. I told my wife that they can not tell that from the call center, but she told me the person put her on hold for 5 minutes while she checked. I asked for my wife to drive over and check anyway and they had one box left. So I don't know.

This box is going back anyway because I keep losing digital audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page