Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 10080 Old 02-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well... with the pre-amp (CM 7777) I got all the stations at 100% or close. The signal still disappears every so often.
Tonight my co-worker came here to help me with the puzzle. We came to a conclusion that the antenna is too low, i.e. below the line of sight to the towers. The only channel we could get reliably all the time was PBS (maybe the highest tower?).
So... next week I will be climbing up the roof. Something I really tried to avoid.
Oh well...

Kirill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 10080 Old 02-23-2003, 08:59 PM

The Grammy's tonight in HD on TWC/CBS was outstanding...PQ was consistent throughout with only an occasional breakup. However, around 11:00 PM, the picture switched to SD (just in time for the 11:00 news??). My question is who should I complain to so this does not happen again...was it TWC flippin' the switch or was it WLTX? Everyone knows that these shows never finish on time...is the same thing going to happen with the Ocars?

Fortunately, I got 3 hours of great HD (I don't have a 5.1 sound system, so I'll leave the judgement on that to others). But for those who missed it, there were some great HD moments, especially early in the show with Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor and a knockout production for tonight's big winner, Nora Jones. Lots of others too, but these stood out for this old timer.

Brian
post #483 of 10080 Old 02-23-2003, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brian,
As I understand the process, TWC just passes through the signal from the station. They don't have a format switch to flip. WLTX/Engineering might know what happened. I watched over half the program in HD (and some in analog) but missed the switchover to 4:3 at 11. Did see it that way around 11:17 and then around 11:25 or so I noted it was back to HD.

Also, audio as expected was not DD 5.1; just DPL. Bob Ross of CBS (VP Eng) had posted in the programming forum those markets capable of the DD5.1 decode and Columbia was not amongst them. Maybe next time.....

Regarding your previous questions:
- TWC Channel 805... no idea; not on our program guide here in Sumter....the guides are run independently and they seem do their initial testing on the Cola system. No idea what, if anything, the initials "VC" stand for.

- WIS/NBC: I don't look them to show for a while yet. They came on the air end of January so, based on past experience (WLTX, WOLO), I would look for them on cable about 1 May. Be nice if they got it together faster than that though.

- WACH/FOX: No idea what might happen there regarding retransmission of their SD signal.

Question back at you or any Cola Viewer: does TWC have WOLO's weather channel on cable like WLTX does?

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #484 of 10080 Old 02-24-2003, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

No Wolo Weather Radar on TWC here. I guess that we will have to plan our weather around Wltx's part time schedule. (-: Also I think Wltx-DT went SD at 11:07 and came back at 11:17 during a commercial break (logo was shown over black bars before it went back full screen). I wonder why Wltx broadcast SD with those gray bars with the black stripes?. Burn in ? I barely made through the 10 minutes of the Grammy's with that distraction. Give me black bars , Widescreen, Blackscreen , let me choose. Why dont they just stretch the SD commercials like WACH does? (only during Widescreen broadcast I think). rant off!
post #485 of 10080 Old 02-24-2003, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kevin,
Thanks for the info about no radar channel for WOLO. I had seen it broadcast OTA back in January but not on cable so was curious if intentional or accidental. Last fall TWC failed to add the WLTX Radar Channel to Sumter's channel guide until it was brought to their attention.

Gray bars: my guess is they are there to help prevent burn-in; not certain if they are added by CBS or WLTX. I live with them on 4:3 ads but I generally won't watch a program with them. Instead I will switch to the analog channel. I really try to avoid black side bars due to burn-in considerations. WOLO had Blue Bars for a short period that I believe were added by the station. They did nothing for me so I don't miss them personally.

Bruce

Bruce
post #486 of 10080 Old 02-27-2003, 06:42 AM

Hey all. I am the chief engineer for WLTX. So let me answer a few of the questions that are floating around on the boards I've read so far.
1. The switch from HD to SD in the Grammy's. The switch is done here at WLTX. I saw the last half hour of the grammy's and it was in HD until 11:30.
Master Control may have switched to SD for a time without me noticing. I had just gotten back home around 11, so I wasn't glued to the set.

2. The side bars for the SD are generated here at the station. I made the decision to put color on them istead of black to help with potential burn-in on sets. Any time we have programming on in SD it is because CBS does not offer it in HD.

3. 5.1 audio........CBS had to change the model of receiver they are using to deliver the 5.1 audio format. They only purchased enough to send to the top 25 markets. When all of the testing is done, they will roll out to the rest of the country. They tell me it will be around September or so. I am working on other avenues to try and obtain one earlier. I'll try and post to this site when we are going to get 5.1 up and running.

4. The reception problems that were posted even with 100% signal strength......... Your picture is probably loosing lock due to mutlipath problems. Multipath is a condition where the signals which bounced off of other objects are received by your antenna causing interference with the primary signal comming directly from the tower of the channel you are trying to receive. I don't know where you live, however SCETV is not located at the same location as the rest of the stations in town. They are further north of town where the other stations are due east of town. Depending on where you live you may need to add a second antenna for the other location.

Let me know if I can be of any help in the future.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer WLTX-TV

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #487 of 10080 Old 02-27-2003, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome Dan, I have e-mailed you in the past and your responses and answers have been very forthcoming. I noticed tonight during your local broadcast and such that the gray bars are gone. I would not had objected to their placement except that included black vertical lines at the edge of picture. Wolo tried blue bars for awhile and they did not include the black vertical lines, but honestly they were a real distraction. As for 5.1 , I can't hardly wait to have CBS's broadcast in 5.1 .
post #488 of 10080 Old 02-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Hi everyone I've been lurking around here for awhile and just now figured I'd introduce myself and ask some quick questions.

TWC is just now laying lines in my area.

1. What is the best model receiver for TWC HD?
2. Is there any additional charge for this receiver?
3. Is the receiver hard to get (waiting list)?

Thanks this forum is a wealth of knowledge!!!
post #489 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
1. What is the best model receiver for TWC HD?

You won't have a choice. I got a 3100HD. I believe they have another model coming out in a copy of months.

2. Is there any additional charge for this receiver?

No charge, if you already have digital cable. I guess you don't since they are just running cables. I think the charge for that box is $8-9 per month

3. Is the receiver hard to get (waiting list)?

It wasn't for me, but Roy at TWC can give you the current status when you call.
post #490 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 05:52 AM

I have been doing some reconfigurations on my encoder, that made the bars blue. I will probably put them back to grey today. The black lines have always been there. What you are seeing is actually lines of video a normal tv set puts just outside the edges of the screen. We call them inactive lines of video. This is the area broadcasters use for test information, closed caption information and the like.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #491 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dan!

Welcome to our little niche here at AVS! Great having another local engineer participate in our discussions. Do appreciate your info on the gray bars. If I may... are the vertical black bars/lines between the gray and program image intentional? I almost get the impression they vary in width at times which would infer they program image is moving sideways. Fact or just an optical illusion? (oh, as I am writing this you just answered part of my question... thanks).

Also... can you vary the color/intensitity of gray? Is your gray close to an average of the screen's overall color/intensity? I ask because your gray sure seems brighter than the ones my set provides on the 480 input when in narrow mode. I am not sure which level is safest when it comes to phosphor wear but for now I lean towards my set's level.

Regarding CBS 5.1 audio and WLTX... thanks for the update there. Looking forward to it!

Bruce

Bruce
post #492 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 06:12 AM

can you vary the color/intensitity of gray?
I can make them any color I want. We just picked the color of grey out of the air. I have a 16x9 set as well and it's grey bars a re a little darker in color. I can mtry and match those for you.
Dan

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #493 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

summerall

Let me chime in add a bit to what gamecock said:

TWC_SC has been deploying only SA3100HD since last summer when they started pulling from service an older model the SA2000HD. While Scientific Atlanta has a newer box being rolled out in a few areas (the 4200HD), nothing has been said yet if/when they will have it here in SC. Some are also expecting (hoping) for TWC to someday get a HD version of SA's DVR cable box, the Explorer 8000.

Rental cost for the SA3100HD is about $9 and is the same price as a standard digital box. The price includes the remote and the electronic program guide (EPG). [Note the SA3100HD does not work well with all 4:3 displays as there is no aspect ratio control adjustment (coming in the 4xxx series boxes). Some 4:3 TVs can squeeze the widescreen image appropriately but not all. Regrardless, it may still be worth trying since the box rental is the same.]

As to supply of boxes, I have to agree with gamecock and say you should call TWC. (CSR may know; or Roy the HD tech may be able to help you too).

Note that TWC may want to send out a tech to install the box. That can be a good thing as the HD box requires a better signal than just a standard digital box. So having them check the line signals makes sense. I have not heard of anyone being charged for that here in our area.

Bruce

Bruce
post #494 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan'sHiPix
can you vary the color/intensitity of gray?
I can make them any color I want. We just picked the color of grey out of the air. I have a 16x9 set as well and it's grey bars a re a little darker in color. I can mtry and match those for you.
Dan

I understand what may be best (in theory) would be an average of what the main image is which would even out the phoshor wear across the screen. But I am sure that phosphor wear varies by set so may be an impossible task. And there is no guarantee that my set's narrow mode gray is optimal either.

Maybe I opened up a can of worms by asking?

Bruce

Bruce
post #495 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan'sHiPix
I have been doing some reconfigurations on my encoder, that made the bars blue. I will probably put them back to grey today. The black lines have always been there. What you are seeing is actually lines of video a normal tv set puts just outside the edges of the screen. We call them inactive lines of video. This is the area broadcasters use for test information, closed caption information and the like.

Wolo had blue bars for awhile. I have never seen blue sidebars on WLTX.

My point is the gray bars don't really help if the black static edge is shown.
post #496 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Gosh... get the TV that doesn't have the burn-in problems
Now... if I could only get my signal reliably

Kirill
post #497 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kir
Gosh... get the TV that doesn't have the burn-in problems
Now... if I could only get my signal reliably

Kirill

TWC HD comes in great !
post #498 of 10080 Old 02-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinivey
TWC HD comes in great !

2 points made it a no-no for me:
1. No DVI output now
2. The price... For my DirecTV including HBO (with HBO-HD) and SHO (with SHO-HD) + HDNet I pay the same as I would for just TWC basic.

Kirill
post #499 of 10080 Old 03-01-2003, 01:24 PM

I've been a big fan of DirecTV for many years...hated my local Cable system. However, I've become a short term fan of TWC in Columbia for their HDTV service. Their other digital channels do not match D* in PQ which is why I've kept D*service until all of this competition works its way out in the marketplace.

To upgrade to HDTV with DirecTV, I would need to BUY an HDTV Receiver ($600-800 with DVI) plus upgrade the Dish (another $100 +/- unless you get a deal from the Customer Retention dept. at DirecTV) plus the hassle (for the average viewer) of setting up an antennae to get the local HDTV channels...this is getting pretty close to a $1,000 upfront investment to get a picture.

If you are a current Digital Tier subscriber to TWC, you are the big winners for now in the HDTV battle. There is little or no cost to upgrade to HDTV reception that includes HBO, Showtime AND local CBS, ABC (NBC and FOX in negotiations).

If on the other hand you are a D* subscriber, the additional cost for the Cable Tier + Digital Tier is a concern...about $70 more per month. It doesn't take a math major to figure out that for twelve months of this, I could have bought a D* HDTV Receiver plus a fancy antennae system. However, I'm willing to take this modest hit while waiting for the winners and losers in the Cable vs Satellite battle to be decided. Also, while I'm watching this happen over the next year, the STB's for Cable and D* will continue to improve and costs go down.

In reviewing complaints in this and other HDTV forums, it appears we are fortunate to have reasonable HDTV choices in Columbia: Satellite (Dish or D*), Over the Air with an antennae and Time Warner Cable...each has its own strengths and weaknesses depending on your personal viewing preferences, tolerance for change, physical location, and financial situation. As we watch the aggressive competition going on with these companies for the HDTV marketplace, I am hopeful that it can only benefit the viewer (fingers crossed!).

Brian
post #500 of 10080 Old 03-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As we watch the aggressive competition going on with these companies for the HDTV marketplace, I am hopeful that it can only benefit the viewer (fingers crossed!).

I hate to seem cheap and nit-picky but the current prices for getting HDTV on either cable or satellite will have to get much lower before I'd classify it as aggressive competition. I have a mild interest in local HDTV reception (not Showtime, HBO, etc.) but couldn't possibly justify the very substantial cost of any option other than a STB and antenna given the amount of actual HDTV programming I'd watch in a typical week.

Now if one of the options were $30-something a month, that would seem like aggressive competition. Failing that, I'm waiting for a $250 set-top box and/or more of the programs we watch to be HD and/or something to happen to the trees between me and the towers...
post #501 of 10080 Old 03-02-2003, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Brent,

How did you justify the cost of a HDTV set? Have you seen movies on HBO-HD, or SHO-HD ? You can buy the Zenith set top box for $299.00 at Circuit City, it worked great for the month I had it. If you are a sports fan, then ESPN-HD is a must and will not be available ota.
post #502 of 10080 Old 03-02-2003, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How did you justify the cost of a HDTV set?

Purely for watching movies on DVD and it's been worth every penny. We just don't watch much broadcast television, just a handful of shows really. The only shows we watch every week are Enterprise, The Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle and That 70s' Show (although we also watch the rare episode of Futurama that Fox deigns to broadcast).

The only sports I watch is a little bit of golf. Although I'd love to see the Masters on HDTV, so far that's about the only golf I know of that is available in the HD format.

Showtime and HBO just don't have anything we'd be interested in watching. We also do some random watching of things like an occasional movie on AMC or TCM (maybe a couple times a year), the odd rerun of Law & Order and we like to catch the old Columbo episodes that show up frequently. But more than 80% of our time in from of the TV (36XBR800) is DVD, we probably see three or four in a typical week and sometimes more.

Quote:

You can buy the Zenith set top box for $299.00 at Circuit City

Now that's starting to sound good. I had not seen any STB for under $400 (even open-box specials) but then again I haven't been checking very frequently. If I could get all the locals reliably with some sort of simple antenna I'd buy a $300 STB in a heartbeat, especially if I could get it in time for the Masters. I'm am concerned about the pine trees, though, local analog reception with a small antenna on the chimney is plagued with multipath.
post #503 of 10080 Old 03-02-2003, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Brent,

I guess it's still early yet. I mistyped the Zenith is $399 at Circuit City. I have seen open boxes for $349. You can buy the Samsung online new for $349. Sorry for the mistype! Also I was avid fan of DVD until HD programming became available. I have very nice progressive DVD player, which I thought produced a stunning image. Believe me once you see a movie in 1080i ,you will be stunned. I was renting at least 4 DVD a week when I first got my set. I now have rented 2 in last 2 months. I do realize it is much easier to time shift DVD vs timed programming.
post #504 of 10080 Old 03-02-2003, 06:47 AM

Kevin is absolutely right. I was just watching 480p DVD for about a year or so, exclusively. Then I got a Dish 6000. HBO (when it was real HD) was awesome! Then came OTA (big antenna), then Direct TV. Now I am with TWC and although we still rent a couple times a month, I have focused mostly on the OTA stuff. Alias is the best thing on HD right now, second only to....any sporting event THE KILLER APP! I cannot wait for ESPN HD so I can see my Tarheels lose in glorious 720p!
post #505 of 10080 Old 03-02-2003, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Originally posted by chummel
I can see my Tarheels lose in glorious 720p!

Gives new meaning to "having the blues" huh?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #506 of 10080 Old 03-03-2003, 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
Gives new meaning to "having the blues" huh?

Indeed!
post #507 of 10080 Old 03-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure everyone is right about the stunning picture from "real HD" but we're probably somewhat out of the ordinary in wanting to watch what we want to, when we want to. Even the little bit of broadcast TV we watch is more often than not time-shifted. And subscription cable or pay-per-view movies would just be totally hit or miss in terms of actually catching something on (and in HD) when we want to watch it.

That's why DVD's were such a revelation to us, it has totally changed our entertainment options for the better. And that's what led us to get the home-theater gear. So, as kevinivey said, it's still early in the HD-adoption curve for people with our preferences. Given a choice between watching a movie when we want to (let's say 6:30PM on a Friday) in "good enough" PQ versus planning to see it at another time (let's say 8:00PM Friday, instead) in amazingly-good quality we'd pick the DVD at our chosen time almost every time. Which is probably odd-ball among members of this forum.
post #508 of 10080 Old 03-04-2003, 06:35 AM

Any word on when TWC will pick up HD NBC?
post #509 of 10080 Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So WLTX is NOT broadcasting DD 5.1 at present???

Also how long before WIS starts broadcasting HD ??

Does WOLO have DD 5.1 audio with their HD content??

Thanks !!

-- Cain
post #510 of 10080 Old 03-05-2003, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

" 5.1 audio........CBS had to change the model of receiver they are using to deliver the 5.1 audio format. They only purchased enough to send to the top 25 markets. When all of the testing is done, they will roll out to the rest of the country. They tell me it will be around September or so. I am working on other avenues to try and obtain one earlier. I'll try and post to this site when we are going to get 5.1 up and running. "

Originally posted by Dan (WLTX engineer) page 25.
Wolo has been 5.1 from day one.
As stated in previous postings it takes several months before a TWC carriage of HD broadcast. Wis digital has been up for only a month now. If I had to guess around May would seem likely. It took major events to get cable carriage up. USC vs Georgia: Wltx, Super Bowl : Wolo. Sad thing is NBC carries very little sports and none is being broadcast in HD. To bad there are no Olympics this year!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page