Advertisement

post #512 of 10076 Old 03-07-2003, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Wis digital has been up for only a month now.

Thanks, I have no interest in TWC HD, I get my stuff OTA.

Is the WIS HD content 5.1 ??

Also, what channel is WIS DTV/HDTV??

Thanks gang,

-- Cain
post #513 of 10076 Old 03-07-2003, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
WIS-DT is Channel 41. I suppose they have their PSIP working so most receivers will receive it remapped to 10-1. Still no word as to when WIS-DT or WACH-DT will get on TWC.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #514 of 10076 Old 03-07-2003, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by Cain
[Is the WIS HD content 5.1 ??

No
post #515 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got a couple of screwed up HD channels today. I would like some feedback from ota users or twc users. Pbs-hd, no picture or sound, CBS-hd staggering picture (started last night). Rebooted box,did not change. Abc-hd is fine,as are the 4 hd movie channels.
post #516 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 01:55 PM

Kevin, I've had the pixelating/tiling/blackouts going on for 4-5 days. TWC is coming on Monday to check it out. What's weird is that there are no problems with channel 800 (PBSHD) and all four of the HBO/Showtime HDTV channels. However, Channel 810 (CBSHD), 811 (WLTX Doppler Radar) and 815 (ABCHD) are unwatchable.

Glad (just kidding) someone else is experiencing this besides me.

Brian
post #517 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Pbs-hd back on. Wltx-hd has a slow motion type defect. Audio is way out of sync. I've had no pixelation or dropouts on any channels.

Brian,

It sounds like you may have a weak signal. I used to have the same problems that you described. I can walk you through how to check your incoming signal using the 3100hd diagnostic screen. You can pm me if you wish. Abc and cbs come in at a lower power rate than any other channels on the digital tier, this why it is important that you have a strong signal.
post #518 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

I got a flyer in the mail. "Time Warner Digital Cable* for $39.95/month for 12 months and get FREE installation".

*Digital Cable is define as one Digital Converter and The Digital Preferred Tier.

So am I correct that this offer is $40/month for what's normally a $51/month Basic Cable+Digital Tier? Then would I have to pay $8.95/month extra for the HD-capable box or could I just substitute it for the "Digital Converter" included in the $40/month?

Sounds like HDTV is now a $49/month+tax proposition at worst. Unfortunately, I'd still have to keep a minimal Dish network package so as to keep getting the WWOR/WSBK Enterprise feed. I also need to look up whether The Golf Channel costs extra on TWC like it does on Dish.

I went out and surveyed the OTA antenna situation this morning and it doesn't look good. There's nowhere I can get a clear shot at any of the transmitter sites without looking right through 60+ foot pine trees. Multipath hell.
post #519 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got a flyer in the mail. "Time Warner Digital Cable* for $39.95/month for 12 months and get FREE installation".

Brent,
I got the same flier in the mail a month ago and went to the main TWC office to sign in. I was told that this offer is valid only if I trade in my dish and it's only valid for 1 yr, after that it would become "our regular price at the time"
That was too much for me and I left. I will post my final results with the OTA shortly.

Kirill
post #520 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brent,

Price change: I am not aware of a price change and feel it might be a time limited promotion for new customers. My wife has not commented about a flyer or that our cable bill has gone down. I will ask her tomorrow and probably even check with TWC next week.

Cable box (converter): so far they have cost the same as the regular box. (i.e SA3100HD and SA2100 both rent for ~$9 with remote and guide). We DO howevr pay $5 more than a standard box for our Explorer 8000DVR (~14/mo).

Golf Channel is on Channel 30 which is on the analog tier and no extra charge. UPN is on Channel 4 [WQHB(63)] and thus has Enterprise. I must add however that I think WQHB has the worst picture quality of our lineup on TWC.

Bruce

addendum: I see Kir has posted a response. TWC has had specials in the past for some folks. It might be possible yours was the same as his but again it might not. I would check on it if your considering TWC for HD.

Bruce
post #521 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Regarding HD tonight:

Right now WOLO/ABC HD is broken (black screen with no image; no sound). WLTX/CBS HD appears to working okay as is their weather radar channel. I was out of town today (visiting Rock Hill) and just got home an hour ago and had not even turned on the widescreen until a bit ago. Not sure about yesterday either; it was a DVD night. I think I checked on maybe PBS HD at one point afterwards and saw it was working.

Brian,
While waiting on Monday's tech visit check this: if you have a splitter between the cable box and the wall remove it. Low signal levels can definitely cause problems and splitters reduce that line level by 50%. You might also check for any loose connections..... been there; done that and possibly remove (temporarily) any other splitters in use too (to maximize the signal available to your HD box).

Bruce

Bruce
post #522 of 10076 Old 03-08-2003, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

The flyer is headed "8 GREAT REASONS to drop your dish and say Helloooo to digital cable!" so that sounds like the same as Kir's.

No way to confirm without calling them but it is written to seem as though the $39.95 special is separate from the offer to buy your Dish or DirecTV dish and receiver for $100. If it's all contingent on giving them my dish, then it's not for me. I don't care about the 100 bucks but just wanted the $40/month for 12 months part. It sounds like that is $11/month cheaper than the usual $45.00 plus $5.95 Digital Preferred Tier.

I printed out a channel listing from the TWC web page. Basically, the "digital cable" thing applies to extra-cost movie channels and so forth. The channels that I'd ever watch are all good old-fashioned analog cable TV just like c. 1998, pretty much. The "Digital Converter" would be entirely for HDTV reception since there's not a single channel on the "Digital Tier" that I've ever watched or wanted to watch. That's probably a good thing since it's very convenient to use the tuner on the TV and the tuner on the VCR. I'd probably only turn on the Explorer box for HDTV content.
post #523 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brent,

That offer you received indeed sounds similar to that Kir was referring to... a promotion designed to entice current dbs users to switch to cable. I can see how one might not want to totally give up the dbs capability just to try out cable. Still I think cable has some advantages but that will certainly be your call based on your needs. So good luck!

Regarding your comment of using the cable box only for HD material... here we regularly use the digital cable box for all programming in the two rooms we have boxes (3100HD in the den; DVR8000 in the master bedroom). The digital cable guide is much improved and much more useful than the simplistic scrolling guide the analog side uses. The remote itself is rather good and rather useful. The computer room has but analog cable and I miss the remote capabilities. Oh well.

Bruce

Bruce
post #524 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to have Dish Network and took the TWC offer. I however did not give them my 2 perfectly good receivers. I bought a broke directv receiver from the flea market for 5 bucks. All they want is a receiver with a serial number. Sold both receivers for $250.00 bucks ,sold the multi switch for $15 and the lnbs for $30.00 bucks. All sold on e-bay with buy it now .
Also they gave me every channel for the first 3 months at no additional charge and a $100.00 credit.

Keep one thing in mind the sa3100hd outputs 1080i from the hd component cables. No dvi, no firewire, no rgb (except with a adapter).
This means no 720p ,and no streching of anykind using the 1080i output. You must use s-video,which works well on the digital tier,but is somewhat lacking on the analog tier. They need to start switching these boxes with the new more advanced boxes that have already been released in other cable markets (sa4200HD).
post #525 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

I had TWC come out and install digital cable on Saturday (they were 2 hours late). They are also running that promotion here $39.95/12 months with the ability to turn in your DBS reciever and dish for a $100 credit. I switched over from a DirecTivo to a TWC DVR and a 3100HD. I have to say the picture quality of most of the channels are worse that DirecTV. The channels on TWC just look more snowy or pixelated. However, the HD channels are simply stunning, I wish they all looked that good. I have had problems with CBS-HD it has been studdering (maybe I have a weak signal?) and ABC-HD was just a blank screen when ConAir was on last night. And I don't like how you can't change the aspect ratio with the 3100HD.

Also the TWC DVR leaves much to be desired, this is coming from someone who just left a Tivo. The Tivo has cleaner menus, audio cues, and the ability to search guide data is better. I'll give the TWC DVR a chance and see how the wife likes it. I may have to go out and buy an stand alone Tivo2. Anyone have experience hooking one up to TWC cable??? I was all ready to turn in my DirecTivo for the $100 credit but after seeing the pic. quality and DVR I decided to hold on to it and turn it in later if TWC "grows on me".

- Summerall
post #526 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Summerall,

CBS-HD has been stuttering for a couple of days,don't know if it's TWC or the station. ABC-HD was off and is back on. I tried the 8000pvr,and thought it was it needed a lot of improvement. I use a standalone tivo to time shift. I use it on the analog tier(built in ntsc tuner) ,as I got tired of it controlling the 3100hd.Yes, analog tier has somewhat snowy appearance at times. Have you tried the single composite cable? I think that TWC digital tier picture is better than Dish's. Sell your Directv tivo on e-bay,you will surely get more than a hundred bucks.

Have you tried any of the on demand stuff? Especially HBO ondemand with 5.1.!
post #527 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Kevin -

Are you saying the Tivo won't work with the digital tier? Or that you just got tired of the Tivo having to control your 3100 to see/record the digital tier? What problems did you encounter with the Tivo having to control the 3100 box. I want Tivo to be able to record all channels (except HD). Does the Tivo use it's guide data when it's connected to the 3100? And I assume your Tivo has 2 tuners with the ability to record 2 channels at once right? So did that mean you had to have two runs of coax to your Tivo box?

Thanks
- Summerall
post #528 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it will work with digital box ,but I do not need it to. I get Sho ondemand, TMC ondemand and HBO ondemand. Other than outdoor life I wasn't using it to record anything on the digital tier. The ondemand channel playback is better than tivo (i.e. a better picture) without eating up the hard drive. No, I only have a single turner model(THE ORIGINAL). I of course watch live HD. Even if I had a dual turner,the digital tier is only available using the set top box. You can not set tivo to use its cable ready turner and record from the digital set top at the same time. You will get but one choice and of course the 3100 only has a single tuner. Yes, I have separate coax runs.
post #529 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

I actually have a DirecTV receiver they're welcome to, although I threw the actual 18" dish away. It's my currently-in-use Dish Network receiver that I need to keep.

Bruce's comments about the convenience of the digital box's program guide, etc. are well taken and it may be that I'd want to use it as he suggests.

I'm not sure if or why 1080i output only would be a problem for me. That's native on my 36XBR800, which also does the squeeze so I don't think I'd need any aspect ratio control. Not having 720p isn't the best but I don't know of any programming I'd be watching in that format and it's really just a choice of the 3100HB or my XBR doing an upconvert to 1080i anyway, if I understand the technology correctly.

Summerall, do I take it correctly from your comments that you just showed them you had satellite service and received the $39.95/month rate and you only have to turn in the satellite equipment if you want the $100 credit?
post #530 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Brent,

Only 4.3 can be displayed via the component cables, unless you are viewing hd. You can only stretch via s-video or composite. Most set top boxes allow you to display 16x9 via component cables in there 480p mode. This why the TWC box is dated and should be replaced with the newer SA4200hd box.
post #531 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

kevinivey,

I'm still not clear on where the problem lies. There's never a situation where I'd want to stretch a picture. If the source is in 16:9 format my TV does the squeeze and acts like a 16:9 TV and if the source is in 4:3 format, well, my TV is a 4:3 TV. Maybe that's what I didn't point out originally, my 36XBR800 is a 4:3 television set.
post #532 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WLTX appears to remain broken. Stuttering video and the audio is not in sync (analog or digital). CBS HD tonight is very much in doubt.

Bruce

Bruce
post #533 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brent,
Question is what happens when you watch a 4:3 image on a HD channel? Can you zoom in or do you get bars on all four sides? Not all HD sets (even 4:3) can do that. Both HBO and SHO do that a lot; so do CBS and ABC locals for that matter (news; non-scripte programs like Survivor, etc).

Folks stretch to get rid of black bars. Here I rarely will watch a program on a HD channel that way. I will switch to a SD channel (used to do that with HBO a lot when I subscribed to them) or the analog channel (do that with CBS/ABC now say when they do 4:3 stuff) so I can have gray bars or use a stretch mode. I will admit that directview HDTVs/displays are somewhat less susceptible to burn-in than RPTVs (burn-in being uneven phosphor wear and black areas are areas with no phosphor being used).

Bruce

Bruce
post #534 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Brent,

I'm pretty sure from reading other postings that the sa3100hd will put black bars at the top and bottom and not let you stretch to fill the screen when viewing HD 16.9. The box will only let you view in it native mode via the component cables. This is another reason the 3100hd is a dated box.HD will never fill your screen with the sa3100hd box. I doubt anyone on this forum is using the SA3100hd with a 4.3 HD set. If anyone is please verify if my information is correct.
post #535 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If the 4:3 set can zoom on a HD signal then they can use the SA3100HD and view the upconveted 4:3 images w/o bars all the way around. Not many HD sets however can do that trick. Their set has to also squeeze the 16x9 but most HD sets should do that now.

The SA3100HD is a big improvement over its predecessor the SA2000HD so I am not complaining too much .

Bruce

Bruce
post #536 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Summerall, do I take it correctly from your comments that you just showed them you had satellite service and received the $39.95/month rate and you only have to turn in the satellite equipment if you want the $100 credit?

Brent -

Well, they are currently running a promotion in my neighborhood (Summit) I don't know if it's specific to this neighborhood or not. The salesman I talked to is named Jimmy Carter I've lost his number but I'm sure you can call TWC and get his cell number, he would know.

Yes, you only have to turn in your DBS equipment if you want the $100 credit. They even let me hold on to my equipment until I am satisfied and then "maybe" I'll turn it in. I love my DirecTivo and I'm currently having withdrawals....

For me how do I decide between HD channels and crumby analog channels with TWC or all clear digital channels with Tivo and no HD. I'm stumped.

- Summerall
post #537 of 10076 Old 03-09-2003, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I think I'm up to speed on the basic situation thanks to the feedback here and via PM. I understand how you can end up with a windowboxed 4:3 program inside a 16:9-format image, inside a 4:3 TV set and what the workarounds are for that. I don't disagree that it would be nice for TWC to get off the mark with the newer Explorer box.

Tomorrow I'll call and get the exact pricing options from TWC and also try to touch base with "Roy the HDTV guy" at TWC. Thanks for all the answers, I'll post again after I decide what (fi anything) I'm going to do and when.
post #538 of 10076 Old 03-10-2003, 05:59 AM

"I went out and surveyed the OTA antenna situation this morning and it doesn't look good. There's nowhere I can get a clear shot at any of the transmitter sites without looking right through 60+ foot pine trees. Multipath hell."

I have tall pines on my lot and pick up the ota stations just fine. I use two antennas since ETV is in the opposite direction from me. They are my weakest signal at 69-75%. I still have a 90-95% lock rate. It only gets bad if there are storms around. They're transmit antenna for DTV is mounted low on their tower and I live in a valley. This make it hard for me to pick them up. As for the other stations, they all come in with a 80-90% signal strength.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #539 of 10076 Old 03-10-2003, 06:12 AM

"WLTX appears to remain broken. Stuttering video and the audio is not in sync (analog or digital). CBS HD tonight is very much in doubt. "

I have read several postings from people with TWC who are having a lot of problems with WLTX(CBS)-HD. We are not having any technical issues with our digital transmitter. I watch it everyday with no dropouts or lip sync issues. Remember, TWC picks up our signal OTA and reprocesses it into a QUAM signal(I transmit a 8VSB signal) for their stb. I would bet that most of you could pick up the local stations ota just fine. Maybe you should put up an antenna for a confidence signal. You could switch to it if TWC has problems to see who the culprit is. Just remember, if you can see the ch.19 analog signal you should be able to see the WLTX digital signal even better.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #540 of 10076 Old 03-10-2003, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kevinivey
Brent,

I'm pretty sure from reading other postings that the sa3100hd will put black bars at the top and bottom and not let you stretch to fill the screen when viewing HD 16.9. The box will only let you view in it native mode via the component cables. This is another reason the 3100hd is a dated box.HD will never fill your screen with the sa3100hd box. I doubt anyone on this forum is using the SA3100hd with a 4.3 HD set. If anyone is please verify if my information is correct.

I am using a 4.3 HD set with the SA3100HD. You are correct in saying that the HD will never fill the screen. However, I really do not mind the black bars. I'm so used to them now, that it seems unnatural not to see them. Go figure.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page