post #541 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan'sHiPix
"I have read several postings from people with TWC who are having a lot of problems with WLTX(CBS)-HD. We are not having any technical issues with our digital transmitter."

Dan,

Thanks for the info! I had assumed it was at your end (not remembering that you were not connected via fiber to TWC). oops. Anyway, I just got off the phone with TWC who took my report of the problem. Hopefully they will get on it today and see what is up.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
See Bruce-
I told you that you should have kept the Zenith 420!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #543 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah yeah yeah

Say;
While you are here (maybe), we had a number of video dropouts last night during Dragnet.... Gremlins, Sunspots, TWC, or your encoder?

Not major really; just a number of green "fireflies" here and there. (macroblocking?)

Bruce

Bruce
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #544 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know about "sunspots" per se but we're near the Spring Equinox so some time along about now should be the period when the sun aligns with the satellites, right? Could be getting close enough to affect the feed that the stations themselves are getting.

I just talked to a CSR at TWC and also to Roy Rushing (nice fellow). The $39.95/month deal includes a digital-cable converter box and if you want it to be a 3200HD in order to get HDTV that's no extra charge. Cool.

Total with tax and fees will be $44.11/month which will include the analog low-numbered channels, the digital-tier channels, rental on the 3200HD and whatever local HD channels they currently carry. No install charge. Roy says let them hook it up and get the regular digital-cable running and then he will come swap in the HD box and hook it up for me.

I can keep my dish or turn it in for the $100 bounty, my choice. This is a 12-month special and when it expires the bill goes up to $63.something/month. Guess I'd better be rid of the Dish by then, eh? I've scheduled the install for later this week. I might be watching that Masters in HD sure enough. How 'bout that?
post #545 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hello Hello Hello.

I have been traveling lately ... got back into town friday and noticed the audio problems with CBS and ABC HD channels.

However, I have noticed something else ... the PBS-HD picture seems to a couple of notches brighter than I have seen them before. Its almost like I cranked up the brightness on the TV. The blacks are not as solid as I have seen in the past.

Anyone care to share that experience ?

PBS-HD is one of my favorite channels ... especially when they are not showing the azalea trail

Also ... when watching 4x3 material thru HD out .. the sidebars are now dark gray ... they used to be pitch black.

Is it just me ?

Max
post #546 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Solar transits don't occur at night (duh...) So it wouldn't be that..They occur when the sun aligns up directly behind the satellite in reference to your
dish.. I haven't seen any breakups leaving here, and I didn't hear anything from Ted who watches OTA about last night.
The fact that "other" stations are breaking up on TWC leads me in another direction..
Now if you only had that Zenith we'd really know, now wouldn't we!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #547 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use two antennas since ETV is in the opposite direction from me.

Hey Dan, do you use a splitter/combiner or do you have the two antennas hooked to separate inputs ??

I have the same issue with PBS..

-- Cain
post #548 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have read several postings from people with TWC who are having a lot of problems with WLTX(CBS)-HD.

I live in Lexington, and I get WLTX-HD OTA and it looks terrific, no problems at all.

Dan, what is the status of the 5.1 audio ??

Take care,

-- Cain
post #549 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Cain,
Are you getting FOX OTA OK?

Kirill
post #550 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What is that channel number, I'll check tonight..

Is it that 48 channel?? If it is, no it comes in horribly, if at all.

-- Cain
post #551 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cain
What is that channel number, I'll check tonight..

Is it that 48 channel?? If it is, no it comes in horribly, if at all.

-- Cain

Thank you,
Kirill
post #552 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Bruce,
Ted Small, our Columbia Cheif, watched OTA last night and didn't see
any problems. May be a TWC issue..

Bob

post #553 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
See Bruce-
I told you that you should have kept the Zenith 420!

I also tried the 420. (which is what it almost cost with tax). I did side by side test and the dropouts over cable and ota happened exactly the same. This is the first time TWC has had this problem. I'm pretty sure they will have it fixed by Masters time. Dan, does WLTX-DT have plans on being a full time station?
post #554 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
Bruce,
Ted Small, our Columbia Cheif, watched OTA last night and didn't see
any problems. May be a TWC issue..

Theres still someone in Columbia? (-:

What happened Saturday night, Con air in SD ,and then no station at all,just a blue 5.1 light on the ole receiver with no audio. I've seen the ABC demo a lot lately and that ain't TWC.

Bruce,
I also saw the green gremlins last night during Tarzan. I've had video drops from time to time viewing regular SD on Wolo-dt. Wltx has been drop free for along time.(just slow motion lately).
post #555 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 12:57 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am new to HD and this forum. I am trying to follow the posts, but I am not sure what OTA means. I assume this refers to reception via antenna rather than cable.

Can someone please educate me?

Thanks
post #556 of 10078 Old 03-10-2003, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wedive2
Please excuse my ignorance, but I am new to HD and this forum. I am trying to follow the posts, but I am not sure what OTA means. I assume this refers to reception via antenna rather than cable.

Can someone please educate me?

Thanks

Over The Air, yes you are correct. BTW, Wltx-DT via TWC is fixed.
post #557 of 10078 Old 03-11-2003, 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kevinivey
Over The Air, yes you are correct. BTW, Wltx-DT via TWC is fixed.

Thanks kevinivey!
post #558 of 10078 Old 03-11-2003, 05:57 AM

Can somone help me. I'm getting my HD Directv installed Thursday. I'm planning on using my clip-on antenna with the new dish also. Does anyone know if this will be sufficient to pick up the OTA DTV in Chapin. According to an antenna website I found thru this forum, it should work. Anyone have any personal experience with this?
post #559 of 10078 Old 03-11-2003, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tritchie,

I think you will find it won't work well at your location but if you already have one no harm maybe it trying it. I just would not hold out much hope. Suggest instead you try an outdoor antenna (attic mounted or roof mounted). I have sent you some more information via a PM about my experiences (I really am a cable user) and hopefully others will relate what works for them. Good luck!

Bruce

Bruce
post #560 of 10078 Old 03-11-2003, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

yea, they work about as well as a clip-on tie..!

Bob

post #561 of 10078 Old 03-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yea, they work about as well as a clip-on tie..!

I know what you mean. I tried for years to get good reception with my clip-on ties and they never got a good picture. However, clip-on bowties work great on UHF. I just wouldn't want to be caught out in public wearing a bowtie, looks too much like a college professor from 1960...
post #562 of 10078 Old 03-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

After putting an antenna on a 30ft telescopic mast on top of a 15ft hill (yikes), I finally started getting a strong OTA signal:
CBS - 93%
ABC, PBS, NBC - all 100%
FOX - 0, nothing, nada

Is it just me, or WACH-DT is having some problems?
I mean we spent 2 days putting this monster up with 6 guy wires and stuff, got all the stations but FOX... Really strange.
Anybody has any insight?

Kirill
post #563 of 10078 Old 03-12-2003, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Kir, what model and make of antenna do you have??

I would like to use one antenna for al the stations, but have not had that success yet.

Also where in Columbia area do you live??? I'm out in Lexington.

-- Cain
post #564 of 10078 Old 03-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Cain,
I use Channel Master 3016 with the Channel Master 7777 pre-amp.
Our HOA is deep inside Harbison forest (Irmo).

Kirill
post #565 of 10078 Old 03-14-2003, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Posted on Fri, Mar. 14, 2003

Time Warner offering extra madness in March
By DOUG NYE
Television Editor

GET READY FOR the best sports event of the year -- the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Sure, I like the Super Bowl and the World Series, but they always pit two teams from major metropolitan areas. On the other hand, the NCAA Tournament involves teams and fans from practically every area of the country. It is truly national in scope.

So for a few moments even the little guys of the college basketball world get their opportunity to grab the spotlight. Remember Valparaiso's run to the Sweet 16 a few seasons ago?

Where else could you find a school called IUPUI dreaming -- if ever so briefly -- of winning it all? IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis) made the big dance this year by winning the Mid-Continent Conference Tournament.

IUPUI and other Cinderellas such as Troy State and UNC Wilmington will find out who they play at 6 p.m. Sunday when pairings for the 65-team tournament are announced on the "The NCAA Selection Show" (CBS, WLTX-19, cable ch. 9).

There will be something extra about March Madness this year for many college basketball fans in the area. WLTX not only will air a game on its regular over-the-air station but also will offer other games on Time Warner's digital lineup during the first- and second-round weekends.

For example, next Thursday, during the first day's action, WLTX (cable ch. 9) will have games at noon, 2:30 p.m., 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. At the same times, you also can catch a game in high definition on Time Warner cable ch. 810 and two other games on chs. 811 and 812.

WLTX is one of only 10 CBS affiliates in the country offering such a package, thanks in part to Time Warner's technical capabilities.

"We're pretty excited about this," WLTX general manager Rich O'Dell said, "but we want fans to know that the games we select for our station will be those of greater interest to this region. We will be heavy on SEC and ACC teams as long as they're in the tournament."

Cable customers must be subscribers to the digital package to receive the extra games.

Pretty cool if I must say,thanks Wltx!
post #566 of 10078 Old 03-14-2003, 05:00 AM

I had a Diredtv technician over yesterday to install a new HD dish. He told me that he had word for the upper ranks (don't ask me who that would be) that Directv is going to broadcast local channels in the Columbia market in June. I asked when that would be made public, he said probably June. Anyone who can confirm this same info? I don't want to spend half a day putting up an antenna on my roof for HD locals for 3 months.
post #567 of 10078 Old 03-14-2003, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

DirecTV does not broadcast HD locals anywhere. He was talking about standard NTSC locals I guess. You will have use a antenna if you want to receive local HD while using the direc receiver.
post #568 of 10078 Old 03-14-2003, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tritchie
Directv is going to broadcast local channels in the Columbia market in June. .

I can't confirm that for sure, and certainly can't deny it. It certainly won't
be HD tho!
So, you'll still need to put up an antenn for HD locals, or get TWC!

Bob

post #569 of 10078 Old 03-14-2003, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kevin,

I am not sure I would applaud CBS/WLTX's plans to multicast more than they do now (HD plus weather radar) much less for sports programming. The bitrate leftover for the HD will be at most 13.7 mb/s and I wonder if at that level there won't be significant motion artifacts. My concern is they are putting Quantity over Quality. Time will tell. As a matter of reference, SCETV/WLRLK-DT currently multicasts 1 HD and 2SD services and their HD often has lots of motion artifacts (last I heard their HD was at 12.6 mb/s bitrate). Motion artifacts are very noticeable in the demo loop's football game and the aerial shots over in Italy and Crete.

Bruce

Bruce
post #570 of 10078 Old 03-14-2003, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bruce!

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page