Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 10078 Old 03-17-2003, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brent,

Wltx-DT is only on part-time. Wolo-DT is on 24/7. Wltx usually comes on at 7 and stays on throughout the evening to 11:30. They are also on from 1:00-2:00 for The Young and The Restless. On the weekends they are on whenever there is a CBS network feed. Don't forget your antenna if TWC messes up CBS and ABC tonight.(-:

Edit:repeat season on CBS, I'll try another channel! What ever happened to the WACH engineer that posted twice awhile back? I also received a formed response from WIS about TWC carriage of their digital station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 10078 Old 03-17-2003, 05:53 PM

Any news on WIS getting on TWC yet? I emailed them complaining about it. Any news is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Go Gamecocks!
post #603 of 10078 Old 03-17-2003, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi Dan,

I live over in Lexington and I am watching your channel with a 8 foot wide 1280x720 DLP FP system.

The WLTX HD normally looks terrific but today I had a friend over at lunch and it looked bad. Lots of pixeling on motion and transition scenes. I'll keep checking and check it at night if you would like. Also, if you would like to see it here let me know, and drop me an e-mail or PM; you can see my HT in my WWW link above.

Is there a particular time or day I should re-check??? I was getting a very strong signal so that was not the problem. Sorry to complain, just wanted to provide some feedback for you.

Now regarding PBS HD. It also pixelates on motion and transition scenes and the white level is wwwaaaayyy too high. Who can we e-mail about this, does anyone know?? Am I the only one seeing the PBS HD problems??

Take care gang,

-- Cain
post #604 of 10078 Old 03-17-2003, 10:36 PM

Hi Dan,
When you were setting up the division on WLTX 17-1 ran the CBS "It's All Here" promo in HDTV was playing. What was your video source. Do you have a (Tape,Disc,Memory) playback system.

Just Curious
post #605 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now regarding PBS HD. It also pixelates on motion and transition scenes and the white level is wwwaaaayyy too high. Who can we e-mail about this, does anyone know?? Am I the only one seeing the PBS HD problems??

Since yesterday was the first time I've ever had HDTV I can't offer an informed opinion but during the early evening when we got home from work the pixellation during transitions on the PBS demo were easily noticable on our 36XBR800 direct-view. The quality of the actual images were often stunning which made the transition artifacts even more jarring.

Don'r know about white level but there was defintely a difference between the WLTX and PBS pictures in terms of their overall brightness palette, with WLTX the darker of the two. I thought the evening sitcoms were very movie-like whereas most of the PBS stuff was punchier.
post #606 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The quality of the actual images were often stunning which made the transition artifacts even more jarring.

Exactly !!!!!

-- Cain
post #607 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 11:45 AM

This is an email I received from WIS today concerning HDTV on TWC:

"We are in discussions with Time Warner about carrying our digital signal. I'd suggest you make your feelings known to them as well. We would like to be carried by the cable company, and I expect we will reach an agreement with them, but I cannot predict when that will happen. We will publicize the change when it takes place. Thanks for your interest.

Barry Ahrendt
Director of Audience Development
WIS Television
Columbia, SC
803-758-1225 office
803-598-6414 pager
803-758-1146 fax
bahrendt@wistv.com "

Hopefully this will come sooner than later.

Go Gamecocks!
post #608 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is my understanding received basically the same carriage agreement as the other stations and that WIS's lawyers were going through the agreement in part to make sure they were not giving the farm away (rights wise). I also suspect there may be monetary issues at hand. Be that as it may be, given we are not through the historical 3 month period yet, I suspect the train has not yet derailed. I still expect WIS-DT to be on TWC come April (end of most likely). Anything sooner of course would be appreciated.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #609 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info Bruce!

Go Gamecocks!
post #610 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 01:02 PM

"When you were setting up the division on WLTX 17-1 ran the CBS "It's All Here" promo in HDTV was playing. What was your video source. Do you have a (Tape,Disc,Memory) playback system. "

I have a D5 HD tape deck which lets me record and playback HD material.
Dan

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #611 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 01:04 PM

Tentative Schedule for Games if the NCAA tourney starts as scheduled.
Thursday, March 20

WLTX-TV Channel 19-analog (cable channel 9)
12:25pm: California/North Carolina St.
2:50 pm: Oklahoma/South Carolina St.
7:10 pm: Illinois/Western Kentucky
9:45 pm: Duke/Colorado State

WLTX-DT Channel 19-1 - digital (cable channel 810)-Oklahoma City
12:25pm: California/North Carolina St.
2:50pm: Oklahoma/South Carolina St.
7:10pm: Memphis/Arizona State
9:30pm: Kansas/Utah State

WLTX-DT Channel 19-2 - digital (cable channel 811)-Indianapolis
12:20pm: Marquette/Holy Cross
2:40pm: Missouri/Southern Illinois
7:10 pm: Illinois/Western Kentucky
9:30pm: Notre Dame/Wisconsin-Milwaukee

WLTX-DT Channel 19-3 - digital (cable channel 812)-Salt Lake City
12:40pm: Cincinnati/Gonzaga
3:00pm: Arizona/Vermont
7:20pm: Creighton/Central Michigan
9:45 pm: Duke/Colorado State

Friday, March 21

WLTX-TV Channel 19-analog (cable channel 9)
12:30pm: Kentucky/IUPUI
2:45pm: Wake Forest/East Tennessee State
7:20pm: Louisville/Austin Peay
9:45pm: Maryland/UNC-Wilmington

WLTX-DT Channel 19-1 - digital (cable channel 810)-Birmingham (HDTV)
12:30pm: Texas/UNC-Ashville or Texas Southern
2:50pm: LSU/Purdue
7:20pm: Louisville/Austin Peay
9:40pm: Mississippi State/Butler

WLTX-DT Channel 19-2 - digital (cable channel 811)
12:30pm: Kentucky/IUPUI
2:45pm: Wake Forest/East Tennessee State
7:10pm: Pittsburgh/Wagner
9:45pm: Maryland/UNC-Wilmington

WLTX-DT Channel 19-3 - digital (cable channel 812)
12:25pm: St. Joseph's/Auburn
2:50pm: Oregon/Utah
7:10pm: Michigan State/Colorado
9:30pm: Indiana/Alabama
Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #612 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Dan,

I realize this is still quite a ways in the future but do you happen to know yet if WLTX-DT will be broadcasting the Thursday and Friday rounds of The Masters? Now that I have HDTV via TWC I'm looking foward to at least the weekend coverage but if I can also get HD weekdays I'd consider it a huge bonus.
post #613 of 10078 Old 03-18-2003, 01:40 PM

"I realize this is still quite a ways in the future but do you happen to know yet if WLTX-DT will be broadcasting the Thursday and Friday rounds of The Masters? Now that I have HDTV via TWC I'm looking foward to at least the weekend coverage but if I can also get HD weekdays I'd consider it a huge bonus."

As it stands now, yes we will broadcast the thursday and Friday HDTV coverage from CBS.
What all that entails, I don't know at this point.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #614 of 10078 Old 03-19-2003, 06:09 PM

Dan,
I am so glad you are participating in this forum! Thanks for the info I can't wait to see the Masters this year! Between you and Bob Davis from WOLO we are very fortunate to have so much local network input. Where is someone from Fox and WIS?
post #615 of 10078 Old 03-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Not that anyone cares by this point but I think my spamming this topic with "what should I do?" requests has run its course now. I just called up Dish Network and had them turn off the satellite service. In the few days we've had TWC service, not only has the HDTV been great but we've found that the analog cable channels are actually more watchable than the overcompressed Dish stuff, at least when run through the "DRC" on our Sony 36XBR800.

All we are really giving up is the Enterprise feed on WWOR and WSBK. Now we'll have to watch the last eight episodes of the season on crummy WQHB (noisy, grainy, dark picture and distorted non-ProLogic sound) but it wasn't worth continuing $30/month worth of Dish Network just for an hour a week.

So the upshot is that we've lowered our total cost from $68/month (Dish plus broadcast tier TWC) to $54/month (at least for the first twelve months). We gained HDTV, including HBO and Showtime, and lost WWOR/WSBK once a week. That would be a great deal even at the same price. A year from now I guess we'll either drop HBO and Showtime or else start paying $80/month but that a long way off.

Not that any of this has to do with local HDTV reception but I do appreciate the help that's been offered here over the past few weeks.
post #616 of 10078 Old 03-20-2003, 09:15 AM

I know everyone is looking for NCAA basketball!!!!!! CBS made a deal with ESPN to cary the games so WLTX cannot Multicast them on DTV. However, This is on a game by game basis. If there is no war coverage on WLTX(19), then we will have the basketball on WLTX-DT. CBS is obligated to let the game on ESPN end before we can pick up coverage. As it stand right now, if CBS is not in war coverage, we will have the 3:00 games on our air.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #617 of 10078 Old 03-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know everyone is looking for NCAA basketball!!!!!!

Call me crazy, but I'm not... I would prefer 1 (one) high-quality HD channel to 3 multicast channels, but I do understand that 3 channels generate more revenue from advertizing.
Sad facts of life...

Kirill
post #618 of 10078 Old 03-20-2003, 04:03 PM

We are on the air!!!!!!
Three basketball games for all of you sports fans.
Tomorrow we will have HD coverage of the NCAA no matter what CBS' war coverage is.
Dan

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #619 of 10078 Old 03-20-2003, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Great to have 3 games to flip through. DT-1 looks much better than 2 and 3, but they can made to fit the screen. Tomorrow will interesting as to the degradation of the HD channel. I hope it looks better than what has been tested this week (interlace and blurring). Even though I am concerned about the broadcast, it will be nice to switch off to another game if the HD gets out of hand. Thanks to Dan for keeping us up to date.

PS:Sneak us a couple of extra mega bytes tomorrow night on the hd channel .
post #620 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Follow up observation on WLTX digital subchannels:

The regular analog CH.19 ota and TWC ch.9 image clarity during the games last night were superior to the extra digital channels. The war updates looked fine, but the fast action of the games really suffered. Watching these games last night remind me of when I had Dish Network and tried to watch a games on ESPN on the large widescreen. I would usually turn off the widecreen and watch on my 27" bedroom set.(which was not a option due to that set being hooked up to analog cable.)
post #621 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Pending any magical breakthroughs in MPEG compression, I think whether it's Dish, DirecTV or an HDTV subchannel off the air there's just so much you can do with 3-4 MBPS of bandwidth to encode something like a basketball game. I had noticed the same thing kevinivey mentions when I briefly checked in on the WLTX-DT channels last night. The main channel didn't suffer too much but the subchannels were not good quality.
post #622 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Checking the games a couple of times for PQ usijng TWC and a SA3100HD, it seemed to me that:

The HD channel (810) was poorly upconverted, similar to watching a standard 4:3 cable program over the DTV output. The images were dark and grainy. The two subchannels (811, 812) watched via SD inputs (not the HD input) had PQ slightly better than the HD service though definitely plagued with motion artifacts. The analog game (Ch 9) PQ actually was a bit better than any of the DTV presentations. Quality of these productions no doubt was part of the visible difference (lighting; cameras, techniques) and could change/improve over time. I also wonder if things would not be better overall if three 3SD channels were used instead of 1HD and 2SD.

Bruce

Bruce
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #623 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 08:50 AM

"I also wonder if things would not be better overall if three 3SD channels were used instead of 1HD and 2SD. "

Unfortunately, the way the encoder works, you cannot do three SD channels or I would have opted to do that last night. The system must do 1 HD and 2 SD if I am airing three games. I watched the pictures on my F38310 at home last night and they were pretty good ota. There were some artifacts in very fast motion. However, sitting across my living room in my normal viewing position, they were hardly noticeable. If i got within 4 feet of my set, they were much more noticeable. They also got worse if you stretched the pics out to fill the screen. I stayed in the 4x3 mode and enjoyed all of the games.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
WLTX-TV

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #624 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the poorest HD I have ever seen. If this was normal I would have returned my set. We better enjoy the single HD channel we have now, because the future does not look bright. Multiblah does not work!
post #625 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 12:01 PM

"This is the poorest HD I have ever seen. If this was normal I would have returned my set. We better enjoy the single HD channel we have now, because the future does not look bright. Multiblah does not work!"

The object of the multicast is to give the Columbia viewers the most options and let avid fans possibly see their team. I know the HD suffers from the multicast. However, given the choice between seeing my team play or not seeing them play, I would choose to be able to watch even with the artifacts.

Dan
Chief Engineer
WLTX-TV

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #626 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
It is "free" and OTA.. IMHO, considering that, you make an excellent point
Dan. Maybe some would prefer to pay DirecTv for the "poorest" video?
Besides, If I'm not mistaken, this a first for Columbia, one that isn't being done here in Charlotte?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #627 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dan,
Thanks for the update. I did not know you could not pass on a HD service with your encoder and do 3 SD services.

Bruce

Bruce
post #628 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob,
For "poorest" video available via TWCSC, the winner of that dubious achiement has to be WQHB Ch 63 (UPN). Yuck! If there were to get a homemade VHS tape of "Enterprise" and use that as their broadcast source it would be an improvement over whatever they generally use now.

Bruce

Bruce
post #629 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
yea, I hear you. We are a bit spoiled here.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #630 of 10078 Old 03-21-2003, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Poorest "HD" was implied, not poorest video and it is still the worst "HD" I've seen on my set in the 17 months I have had it. Multichannel for "free" ota will probably be the future. I will gladly pay a premium price for premium content. As I do for Sho and HBO and would for more if it was available. Dan, I thought that you wanted feedback, I'm sorry if this seems harsh. I consider CBS to have the best HD content by far, it just a shame that it has been destroyed by WLTX's multicasting. As far as getting your favorite team uninterrupted due to more channels, that really doesn't happen because CBS jumps all around showing the other games. Slam me if you wish, I've got thick skin!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page