Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2003, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I watched the entire game on Sunday. It was by far the best CBS HD basketball broadcast I have ever seen. No dropouts, no pixelation , and very little motion artifacts as compared to Friday's dual broadcast.

Weird.

I watch a lot of HDTV and the beginning of that game (which was all I watched) was awful. Definitely not up to par with the normal WLTX HD stuff. Like I said the static images were terrific, the motion artifacts and pixellation was bad. This was not the case with football last Fall, also on CBS.

I'll watch next weekend and see if it is any better for me.

-- Cain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
Why was Dragnet not in HD Sunday night ?
Old 04-01-2003, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
No ABC-HD on WOLO Tonite due to an audio problem, We'll get it fixed as
soon as we can.

It as been corrected as of 4pm Monday.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Old 04-01-2003, 11:38 AM

Thank you Bob, glad to see a DT station as responsive to the viewers like yours is, I truly enjoy the ABC HD programming. Now if only I could pick up a FOX station in DT so I could watch the FOX widescreen NASCAR. But, alas my local FOX in Greenville is not on the air on the DT channel yet and the other FOX stations in the area are at too low a power level to pick up a signal.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Well,
Since you're having such good luck, have you tried WCCB-DT on Ch27?
I doubt you'll get it, but who knows!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one who gets all local channels OTA?

Kirill
Old 04-02-2003, 04:58 PM

Kirill, I get them all OTA. I've been waiting for all the leaves to appear hoping that I won't loose and signal or induce multipath.

Mike
Old 04-03-2003, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kirill,
Sometimes. Here are my results (Samsung SIRT-150 and Radio Shack Double-Bowtie antenna).
- Antenna placed Outdoors... YES (CBS, ABC, NBC, ETV, FOX)
- Antenna placed Indoors .... NO (cannot get ETV or FOX)

Outdoors entails placing the DBT antenna on a plastic chair atop metal patio table with 25ft coax run out the back door (temp solution at best). Indoors means placing the antenna atop our china cabinet in next room using a run of 15ft of coax (solution also has a very low SAF). What is needed is a cable run down interior wall (difficult to achieve) running to an appropriate antenna in attic or roof.

FWIW, here is what the program guide for the Sammy showed the other night (channel number; station ID; program information (if any):

19-1 WLTX-HD .......JAG
19-2 WLTX-SD .......DTV Program
25-1 WOLO-DT........No Data
25-2 WOLO-SD........No Data
32-1 ETV-1.............ETV SD-1 Programming'
32-2 ETV-2.............ETV-2
32-3 ETV-HD...........ETV-HD
41-1 (blank)............No Data
41-2 (blank)............No Data
41-3 (blank)............No Data
57-1 WACH-HD........No Data

Observations:
- All station numbers appear to be remapping correctly.
- Only WLTX is actually using PSIP for program information (Bob Davis has said WOLO's PSIP is currently problematic but is being worked on).
- Multicasting seems to be the norm for local broadcasting and full bitrate HD is NOT available OTA in our area.
- FOX apparently labels their DTV channel as HD.

I might add I still have HD via TWC but having the Sammy (newly acquired) does now give me NBC and FOX (with some work).

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

HI Bruce-
Glad to see you finally have an OTA receiver. Thanks for the info below.

Quote:

Originally posted by bdenman

Observations:
- All station numbers appear to be remapping correctly.
- Only WLTX is actually using PSIP for program information (Bob Davis has said WOLO's PSIP is currently problematic but is being worked on).

WOLO's PSIP generator has a software bug relative to daylight savings time, so I have it currently turned off, especially since I will be out of town the next week. We think(hope?) WOLO-DT will run fine thru the time change.

- Multicasting seems to be the norm for local broadcasting and full bitrate HD is NOT available OTA in our area.

WOLO-DT runs full bit-rate of 15 m/b..There is a bit more if needed, but I
haven't had anyone complain, that I know of?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, take care.
Bob

Bob

Old 04-03-2003, 10:28 AM

"- Multicasting seems to be the norm for local broadcasting and full bitrate HD is NOT available OTA in our area. "

Full bitrate would not be available over cable either since they pick us ota for retrans to you.

"Observations:
- All station numbers appear to be remapping correctly. "
WLTX runs 17.5 MB for the HD.

All stations do not remap their DTV correctly. For example WLTX is analog ch 19 so the proper remap for the DTV should be 19-1 not 17-1. This is a standard that is being implemented across the country.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
WLTX-TV; WLTX-DT

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
Old 04-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Here is what I see with Samsung SIRT-TS160:
19-1 WLTX-HD
19-2 WLTX-SD
25-1 WOLO-DT
25-2 WOLO-SD
32-3 ETV-HD
35-1 ETV-SD1 (notice the channel number difference with above)
35-2 ETV-SD2
41-1 WIS-HD
41-2 WIS-SD1
41-3 WIS-SD2
57-1 WACH-HD

All gets picked up by CM3016 antenna with CM7777 pre-amp on a 30ft telescopic mast.

PS: Let me ask this question again: What is happening with PBS (ETV) lately? The signal strength dropped from 100% to 54%. All other stations are still at 100%

Kirill
Old 04-03-2003, 03:24 PM

Hi Bruce! It's been a while...

Just a quick note to ask how your OTA is going...looks like you have come a long way since a year or so ago when we were so excited about the PBS demo loop (since that was the only available HD at the time) Too bad they never got back to those initial bit rate levels...I miss those days!

Just curious to know if you can tell a difference between the OTA HD and TWC HD since you mentioned you have both? I am talking about PQ only...

Take care,

Bruce
Old 04-03-2003, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan'sHiPix
WLTX runs 17.5 MB for the HD.

It is good to hear that CBS/WLTX is using 17.5mb/s for 1080i. I feared it was worse and that it would become really evident on some future programming. Perhaps not. Bottom line is right now I cannot point to any on-going problem other than that with PBS-HD. Due to lack of viewing experience, I cannot yet speak for NBC which is also doing 1 HD service and 2 SD services.

As a HD viewer my preference is to have but one DTV service...HD. From a practical matter, local stations are multicasting and I can see how multicasting may have some advantages. I could accept it better perhaps if, when appropriate, the broadcast station would turn off the SD services and devote the full bandwidth to HD. (will concede perhaps having a simple weather channel is not a severe impact). I will agree that some of our comments could become a self full-filling prophecy... expect problems and viola' you will see them.

I know I see motion artifacts at times on PBS HD. Last I heard SCETV was using about 12.6mb/s for their HD (they run 1 HD and 2 SD services). Last summer Hap Griffin/SCETV said they expected to recover up to about 900k in bandwidth in tweaking their encoder so perhaps their bitrate is somewhat higher now.

Quote:

All stations do not remap their DTV correctly. For example WLTX is analog ch 19 so the proper remap for the DTV should be 19-1 not 17-1. This is a standard that is being implemented across the country.

I have been known to "open mouth and insert foot"; Never say never; Never say all. I should avoid saying what is right or wrong; just report what I see here. To that extent, WLTX-DT (Ch 17) is remapping to their analog channel number (19-x) as does WOLO-DT (8 to 25-x) and and WACH (48 to 57-1). SCETV/WRLK-DT does not (32 is 32-x) nor does WIS-DT (41 is 41-x). Kir reported different numbers for WRLK but tonight my Sammy again showed them still as 32-x,''

Quote:

Full bitrate would not be available over cable either since they pick us ota for retrans to you.

Thats how I understood it. TWC gets your feed OTA and if there is a problem it may be with their receiver (which apparently has happened) and thus may warrant a call to TWC.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 04-03-2003, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kir

PS: Let me ask this question again: What is happening with PBS (ETV) lately? The signal strength dropped from 100% to 54%. All other stations are still at 100%

I have no idea; if I put my DBT outside I can get them okay.
Also, FWIW, SCETV came in tonight again as 32-x on my Sammy

Bruce

Bruce
Old 04-03-2003, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by rodeoclown
Just curious to know if you can tell a difference between the OTA HD and TWC HD since you mentioned you have both? I am talking about PQ only...

Bruce,
Long time no see! So far I have not been able to discern any real difference! (ditto back in January when I used a Zenith receiver for a couple of weeks). The PQ on TWC is fine and I have no preference regarding PQ. I am not using a switch right now (Mits only has one HD input) so I cannot do a quick A/B check but I really am happy with the TWC feed. I will comment here if/when I do see a difference. Note I got the Sammy to play with and it does give me NBC and FOX for now which are not on TWC.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 04-04-2003, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

"Count the blades of grass. Viewers with high-definition television sets will be able to catch live action from all four rounds of the Masters in HDTV. Coverage of Thursday's and Friday's rounds will begin at 4 p.m. and can be found on Time Warner cable 813 in HDTV, or on USA, cable ch. 25 in analog. Rounds three and four will air on CBS and can be found in HDTV on Time Warner channel 810."

The State 04/04/03
Old 04-04-2003, 06:49 AM

"Coverage of Thursday's and Friday's rounds will begin at 4 p.m. and can be found on Time Warner cable 813 in HDTV, or on USA, cable ch. 25 in analog. Rounds three and four will air on CBS and can be found in HDTV on Time Warner channel 810."

That is not correct! To my knowledge the only place you can see the Thursday and Friday extended coverage of the Masters in HD is from WLTX on cable channel 810. I will investigate 813, I did not see the article in the paper. Thanks for the info.

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
Old 04-04-2003, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hollywood Reporter (http://hollywoodreporter.com ) reports that the USA coverage will also be on Directv and Dish... (I don't see a release yet from directv on their web site about this)

Masters is HDTV tee off for USA
April 03, 2003

USA Networks will make its first foray into high-definition television next week by carrying the first two days of the Masters, where Tiger Woods will try to win his fourth consecutive title. USA, part of Vivendi Universal's United Television Group, will carry the feed on a channel separate from its regular standard-definition programming. As of the announcement Wednesday, the telecast will be available on DirecTV and Dish Network and in at least some areas served by Comcast Corp. and Charter Communications. "This technology will enable viewers to feel as if they're sitting in the front row of the gallery," said Doug Holloway, USA president of network distribution. The telecast from the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia is set to begin at 4 p.m. EDT on April 10 and 11. It will be carried in the 1080i standard and use 42 cameras. Bill Macatee will host USA's coverage. CBS will continue its three-year tradition of carrying the Masters in HDTV by telecasting the final two days of the four-day tournament. (Jesse Hiestand
Old 04-04-2003, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The Masters Early Rounds Thu & Fri on USA - On Cable & DBS!
Excerpted from The Hollywood Reporter and other sources:

USA Networks will make its first foray into high-definition television next week by carrying the first two days of the Masters. USA will carry the feed on a channel separate from its regular standard-definition programming. As of the announcement Wednesday, the telecast will be available on DirecTV and Dish Network and in at least some areas served by Comcast Corp. and Charter Communications. Additional reports also have TWC carrying the telecast, and other cableco's are expected to sign on.

Live early-round of coverage of the MastersĀ® can be seen Thursday-Friday, April 10-11 (4 PM Live ET/1 PM PT) on USA Network. Bill Macatee will host USA's coverage from the Butler Cabin. Joining Macatee on USA Network's Thursday and Friday coverage will be long-time USA announce partner Peter Kostis, Jim Nantz and Lanny Wadkins in the 18th Tower along with David Feherty, Peter Oosterhuis, Bobby Clampett, Verne Lundquist and Dick Enberg.

It should be noted the USA coverage is in addition to the 4 days of CBS's OTA HDTV coverage.

Ken H

Da source!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdenman
I have no idea; if I put my DBT outside I can get them okay.
Also, FWIW, SCETV came in tonight again as 32-x on my Sammy

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I can get PBS ok also, but the level dropped from 100% to 54% in the last few days. What is your reading?
As for the channel numbers, I think that channel numbers sent by DirecTV take precedence over PSIP data, that would explain the differences.

Kirill
Old 04-04-2003, 08:49 PM

I was able to pick up WCCB-DT Friday night from Enoree after i swung my antenna toward Charlotte, my signal strength reading was from 36-40 and I had lots of drop outs. What is the current power level of WCCB-DT and is it within the realm of possibility to crank up the power for the FOX NASCAR telecasts on Sundays to enable more viewers to receive the FOX wide screen broadcast in this area, as WHNS-DT in Greenville is not transmitting yet and will not do the wide screen when they do go on the air?Maybe the bean counters at WCCB could consider this a goodwill gesture to the viewers in the area. Could a 3-4 hour power up for 4 times a month till July cost THAT much?
Old 04-04-2003, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

kirill,

I moved my RS DBT antenna outside to check signals (indoors reception tonight was limited to NBC and CBS). While I don't really have a baseline to compare against tonight here is what I am seeing on the Samsung SIRT-150 on its temporary perch outdoors (HD channel for all but FOX):

PBS/WRLK: fluctuating between 0 and 2 bars; mostly 1. (0% on upper scale). Unwatchable; lots of breakups.
CBS/WLTX: Fluctuating getween 6 and 7 bars (~45 to 50% upper scale). Solid signal.
ABC/WOLO: Solid 6 bars (~45% upper scale) Solid signal
NBC/WIS: Solid 7 bars (~50% upper scale) Solid signal
FOX/WACH: 0 bars Was off air maybe; I was able to receive it earlier (exact level unknown).

Note I have always had problems with PBS from here so I don't know if they have changed their power or not.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 04-05-2003, 04:14 PM

Why is the final four not in HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Go Gamecocks!
Old 04-05-2003, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Well it was bound to happen. CBS in Glorious SD on the HD channel.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:27 PM

I just called and they had it listed as SD. I told them it was HD and they just flipped the switch.

You guys are WELCOME!!!

Go Gamecocks!
Old 04-05-2003, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jay, awful game however.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:43 PM

It sure was, Kevin. I just ran to get beer just in case this one is just as nasty. I bet ClemPson sure wishes they would have paid Rick Barnes more $$.

Have a good night!

Go Gamecocks!
Old 04-05-2003, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Jay, Looks like this will be a great HD game. Picture quality is good tonight, I however think last weeks game were a little sharper. It looks like to me that they using more sd shots framed for 16x9.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:59 PM

Its 3 PM Sunday and no signal at all on WOLO-DT, analog is on ok but nothing on DT.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by enoree
Its 3 PM Sunday and no signal at all on WOLO-DT, analog is on ok but nothing on DT. [/QUOTE

It's on, but it's crappy sd.