post #721 of 10075 Old 04-06-2003, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote]Originally posted by kevinivey
Quote:

Originally posted by enoree
Its 3 PM Sunday and no signal at all on WOLO-DT, analog is on ok but nothing on DT. [/QUOTE

It's on, but it's crappy sd.

no problem here
RCA DTC 100 RSL=88
ZENITH 520 RSL = 90

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10075 Old 04-06-2003, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WOLO: As of 4pm here WOLO is coming in fine OTA (albeit the programming is but SD as expected). I have no idea what it was like earlier (been snoozing). It appears they (and WLTX and WIS) switched over to DST alright (can't speak for the others). We will see later this evening if things are working correctly when there is some HD scheduled (not sports).

Jim Grasty: good to hear from you; welcome aboard! I have an antenna question for you: from Elgin what size paperclip do you use to get your (WOLO's) signal?

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #723 of 10075 Old 04-06-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bdenman
WOLO: As of 4pm here WOLO is coming in fine OTA (albeit the programming is but SD as expected). I have no idea what it was like earlier (been snoozing). It appears they (and WLTX and WIS) switched over to DST alright (can't speak for the others). We will see later this evening if things are working correctly when there is some HD scheduled (not sports).

Jim Grasty: good to hear from you; welcome aboard! I have an antenna question for you: from Elgin what size paperclip do you use to get your (WOLO's) signal?

Bruce

BRUCE:
I am about 10 miles away from my transmitters and a clothes hanger works fairly well

Jim
post #724 of 10075 Old 04-06-2003, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Jim!'
You're alive! Great! Glad to see WOLO-DT is "ok", I hope they corrected the timers for dst as I asked. I'm out here in vegas suffrin
thru NAB..ow..feet hurt..ow..body hurts..but tummy is happy! ..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #725 of 10075 Old 04-06-2003, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Enoree:
What is the current power level of WCCB-DT and is it within the realm of possibility to crank up the power ?

WCCB-DT is running the maximum power of 1 million watts as allowed by law. While we COULD put out more, that isn't legal so it won't happen.
Besides, it would not matter as you are beyond our reliable reception range based on tower height realtive to earth curvature.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #726 of 10075 Old 04-06-2003, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
I'm here in vegas suffrin thru NAB..ow..feet hurt..ow..body hurts..but tummy is happy! ..

Bob,
Careful with that "hic" stuff while doing forum/email stuff. Last New Years Eve I had a wee bit too much liquid celebration and one member of this forum probably has yet to figure out why he got a dinner-menu via email that night from me. Anyway; enjoying Vegas huh! Well; enjoy your vacation and bring us back word from LV.
Bruce

Bruce
post #727 of 10075 Old 04-06-2003, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi Dan,

Can you (or anyone else here) check and tell us exactly what times HD Masters Coverage will be available from WLTX on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday ??

I'm confused when I keep reading that the Thur and Fri afternoon coverage in HD will be on USA network, and NOT on CBS.

My father-in-law wants to come over and watch the HD broadcast in our theater, so I want to tell him what times it will air on all four days.

Thanks!!

-- Cain

PS This is very old, but is it still correct ??

CBS Sports will broadcast the 2003 Masters on the CBS Television HD Network on Thursday, April 10 and Friday, April 11 (4:00-6:30 PM, ET, each day) and Saturday, April 12 (3:30-6:30 PM, ET) and Sunday, April 13 (2:30-7:00 PM, ET) live from Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga.
post #728 of 10075 Old 04-07-2003, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Cain,

That USA Network thing was a separate deal with Dish Network and DirecTV. It doesn't affect the CBS HD broadcast schedule on WLTX-DT that Dan mentioned earlier and that is in the quote you provided. No worries.
post #729 of 10075 Old 04-08-2003, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

ETV (PBS) is having a ton of problems with all three of the digital channels.
My reception is from cable,but usually mirrors a strong ota signal. I thought I would post to help you ota people ,so you wouldn't have to trouble shoot.
post #730 of 10075 Old 04-08-2003, 06:48 AM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kevinivey
ETV (PBS) is having a ton of problems with all three of the digital channels.
My reception is from cable,but usually mirrors a strong ota signal. I thought I would post to help you ota people ,so you wouldn't have to trouble shoot.

*phew*. And I thought it was me

Kirill
post #731 of 10075 Old 04-09-2003, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Brent, but I'm still wondering if WLTX will offer HD coverage on Thursdayu dna Friday, and I have not seen confirmation of this since the USA Network coverage was announced.
-------

Ken posted this in the HDTV programming Forum..:

During the first two days of coverage, Thu 4/10 & Fri 4/11, CBS stations will be receiving two different program feeds from the network. One is the analog regularly scheduled daytime programming, the other is the digital HDTV Masters.

The 17 CBS owned and operated stations will be airing the standard daytime programming on their analog channels, and the digital channels will air the HDTV feed of The Masters. The 17 markets served by CBS O&O stations are: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.

The other 80+ CBS affiliated stations capable of HDTV, have the choice of airing standard programing or the HDTV Masters feed on their digital channel.

All CBS stations are receiving information that brings the HDTV Masters feed to their attention, but it remains an elective decision of the non-O&O stations to air the HDTV feed of The Masters on Thu & Fri.

If you live in an area that can receive CBS HDTV, and your area is not on the list above, it may be a good idea to take a moment, call the station during normal business hours, and politely request they air the HDTV feed of The Masters on the digital channel. I would think the programming department or station manager would be the best place to register your suggestion. On line feedback may also be useful.

It can't hurt, and may prevent disappointment on Thu & Fri.

--------------
post #732 of 10075 Old 04-10-2003, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, does anyone know if WLTX will have HD coverage of the Masters today and tomorrow ???

-- Cain
post #733 of 10075 Old 04-10-2003, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cain,
Hopefully. This is on WLTX's web site this morning:

"Here's the HDTV broadcast schedule on WLTX-DT. You'll find the broadcasts on Channel 19-1 or on Time Warner cable channel 810.

Thudsday: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Friday: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Saturday: 3:30pm - 7:00pm
Sunday: 2:30pm - 7:00pm

You'll also see the Saturday and Sunday broadcasts on regular analog Channel 19 (Cable Channel 9)

The Thursday & Friday broadcasts are HDTV only"

Bruce

Bruce
post #734 of 10075 Old 04-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Hey all,
I just returned from Las Vegas. I was attending the NAB conference. Bruce is correct on the HDTV coverage.
I am sorry the NCAA final Four started in SD. My operators are usually pretty good about switching the HD stuff. If I had been in town, I guarantee that would not have happened. Rest assured the MASTERS WILL BE IN HD TODAY!!!!!!

Dan Stalnaker
CHIEF ENGINEER
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #735 of 10075 Old 04-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the confirmation, Dan.

However, it looks like we should now say the Masters will be in HDTV on Friday or whatever day they actually start.

First round cancelled due to rain today.
post #736 of 10075 Old 04-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

It now seems that there will be television coverage of the Masters beginning at 2:00PM on Friday, two hours earlier.

I may go home a little early and hope that the HDTV appears before 4:00PM. If not, I'll watch some of the analog coverage and it'll be like magic whenever they do switch on the HD.
post #737 of 10075 Old 04-10-2003, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Again a post from Ken in the HDTV Programming Forum:

It's confirmed: Tomorrows HDTV coverage on USA & CBS will begin at 2pm EST, and continue approximately 8pm EST, or dark.

Due to the schedule changes, it's again a good idea to make a polite call to your local CBS station, as indicated in the 'Hot Tip' topic, make them aware of the new schedule, and request they put the HDTV feed on the air at 2pm EST.

Due to the conflicting times, West coast CBS HDTV viewers will not see The Young & Restless in HDTV tomorrow.
post #738 of 10075 Old 04-10-2003, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The USA HD screen on TWC says Masters coverage on Friday is 2-8pm.
post #739 of 10075 Old 04-11-2003, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There be golf.. Masters in HD... via TWC on both CBS and USA

Bruce
post #740 of 10075 Old 04-11-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdenman
There be golf.. Masters in HD... via TWC on both CBS and USA

Have you compared the two feeds yet? The WLTX-DT feed has a choppy surround sound via TWC. The USA-HD has excellent sound. Can anyone else verify this?
post #741 of 10075 Old 04-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

I seem to have been out of the loop w.r.t. USA Network via TWC. Has there always been USA on TWC 813? At any rate, the 813 picture seems to have a little more bandwidth. There are some occasional catches in the image on 810 that seem less often on 813.

Either way, these images are fantastic. When a player hands his club to the caddy after a shot, you can not only see the mud on the leading edge of the club you can see the little broken blades of grass caught in the mud. Remarkable.
post #742 of 10075 Old 04-11-2003, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have tried to to A/B comparisons on the cable feeds and its tough; both are pretty darn good. The advantage of the higher bitrate with the USA channel over WLTX might come into play on occasion however. Listening only to analog audio I am not experiencing any problems here with either of the two feeds. (I had a case of the dropsies with my digital audio coax; it was dropped during a box switch over and got buried behind the TV... oops).

Brent: they ramped up Channel 813 USAHD (yesterday) just for the Masters. It will go away after the Masters is over.

Bruce

Bruce
post #743 of 10075 Old 04-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

WIS-HD OTA has a 1kHz tone instead of an actual sound.
WIS-SD1 has the right sound.
Weird...

Kirill
post #744 of 10075 Old 04-12-2003, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

In the past I have noticed that WLTX's HD suffers from compression artifacts with fast moving images. I do not think anyone has had the ability in the past to A/B their HD against an independent source, so this is interesting to me for folks who can receive both signals to do so, and post the results here.

I have assumed it was a bandwidth issue for WLTX that they could not rectify without dumping the other digital channel(s).

-- Cain

PS I apologize to the WLTX folks for being so picky, their commitment to HD has been very much appreciated. Perhaps I am one of the few with a screen large enough to notice their compression artifacts, so I'll sit down now and hush.
post #745 of 10075 Old 04-12-2003, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought the USA channel was a little sharper and crisper. I throughly enjoyed. Noticed very little motion artifacts on my little 53' widescreen. (-:
post #746 of 10075 Old 04-12-2003, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Cain
so I'll sit down now and hush.

Aww, Qwit raisin Cain, Ok?

Sorry, couldn't pass it up!

Bob

post #747 of 10075 Old 04-12-2003, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aww, Qwit raisin Cain, Ok?

Heheh.. I need to !!

I wanted to provide some feedback for the WLTX HD signal, but did not intend to only be complaining. Any HD signal these days is much appreciated, and CBS's commitment to HD is very much appreciated!!

-- Cain
post #748 of 10075 Old 04-12-2003, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Now if only ABC would get their act together as well as CBS has!

Bob

post #749 of 10075 Old 04-13-2003, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have "installed" my Radio Shack Double Bowtie in the attic. I am getting solid locks if not high strength signal readings from WLTX-DT/CBS, WOLO-DT/ABC, and WIS-DT/NBC. WACH-DT/FOX is nowhere to be found (no signal at all); not sure why. If anyone can confirm they are on the air I would appreciate it.

Bruce

Bruce
post #750 of 10075 Old 04-13-2003, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Wltx,I applaud your transmission today. Absolutely flawless on my set. This beats the Super Bowl hands down! I didn't have any drops in audio or video while I watched.(3.0 hrs)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page