Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 10080 Old 04-13-2003, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard back tonight from Rich Sprott (xmitter) from WACH/FOX; I had sent him a PM earlier today asking about FOX's signal since I have been getting zip here from them for the past several days. His reply was yes.... "WACH is having some transmission problems and we definitely are aware and working with the manufacturers on solutions." And he also said he will inform us as things progress.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 10080 Old 04-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Bruce,
Thank you for the update!

Kirill
post #753 of 10080 Old 04-14-2003, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with Kevin on Sunday's Masters. Friday and Saturday were amazingly good with occasional audio and video hiccups. Sunday was amazingly good with no problems at all.

Friday evening when my wife got home she watched for about two minutes and said "So, they're playing with round golf balls this week", a joke about the fact that on The Golf Channel via satellite the balls usually look like little 1-pixel blocks rather than having a round shape.
post #754 of 10080 Old 04-14-2003, 04:59 AM

Bob , I was able to watch WCCB-DT Sunday night with a mid 40 Signal Strength in Enoree, I guess that the lack of cloud cover made this possible, I got WBTV with about a 94 Signal Strength. Too bad WCCB and the ABC station dont have their towers over where WBTV and WCNC have theirs.
post #755 of 10080 Old 04-14-2003, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Not Really, it gives us a better signal over the Charlotte metro area..
Glad you're able to see us at least part of the time. Thanks for the update!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #756 of 10080 Old 04-16-2003, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just wanted to post to introduce myself to the group. Kbedwards over at the Home Theatre Spot (not sure of his handle here) just introduced me to this forum and I'm glad he did! I was beginning to the think I was the only HDTV aficionado in Columbia on the net. Obviously, not so! I'm glad to have found you guys.

Here's my setup:

Tosh 57H82 (purchased in January, '03)
HD via TWC (3100 HD stb, and 8000 DVR stb)

Anyway, I've skimmed this LONG thread as best I could (before my eyes glazed over), and there was some mention about a possible HD DVR box from TWC. I've asked this question over at the Spot too and didn't get much of a response, does anybody here know anything more? I've found some links via google, but they were all old trade-show articles about the upcoming device from Scientific Atlantabut that's about it.

Would love to be able to combine these 2 STB's, and save a little $$ in the process. Anybody heard anything?
post #757 of 10080 Old 04-16-2003, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IrmoGamecoq,

Welcome to our little niche here at AVS. Hope we can help you in some small way in enjoying HD here in the Columbia area. Very glad Bruce Edwards (rodeoclown) pointed you this way.

Regarding the HD version of the Explorer 8000. No one anywhere appears to really know the answer. The barest mention of the HD version is available at the SA site (explorer club) and there has been small references here and there about there being Beta units out there in the real world. But, given the problems SA and the various cable companies are having rolling the SD version out, I would personally guess it will be some time next year at the earliest before we see an HD version.

There are some serious bugs that pop up with various users of the current 8000 box. It depends on the OS version in part but also in part as to how you use it. We have been real lucky here lately with ours as some folks see theirs crash and burn regularly (and sometimes lose all stored programming). AVS not not yet responded to our requests for an 8000DVR forum but there is a good one here. Suggest you join in there and follow the trials, tribulations, and tips from users from all over.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #758 of 10080 Old 04-25-2003, 10:04 AM

Hi Bob,
Hate to give the bad news, but It's 12:00pm Friday and I think you got yourself a problem. You are broadcasting WOLO DT8 (nice strong signal) but no video or sound. My Dolby Digital display icon just keep flashing off and on. Hope this is helpful to you.

Techman
post #759 of 10080 Old 04-25-2003, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

NSS!
Yes, we are aware, It's supposed to be that way at this time, as we are doing some transport work.
Thanks
(You'll just have to watch Port Charles in Analog!)

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #760 of 10080 Old 04-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Bob Davis:

Sure wish you would look in on the Western Carolinas forum from time for potential contributions of interest to us in the GSAA DMA. Thanks
Jerry Birdwell

JB - Asheville

post #761 of 10080 Old 04-25-2003, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Bob Davis:

Sure wish you would look in on the Western Carolinas forum from time for potential contributions of interest to us in the GSAA DMA. Thanks
Jerry Birdwell

JB - Asheville

post #762 of 10080 Old 04-25-2003, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been peeking in on you all up there, we do have quite a few viewers
in your area for WCCB, and a few for WOLO.. I have subscribed to that one,
so I know when someone posts. Good to hear from you, PM or call us if
we can help or you have any questions.

Bob

post #763 of 10080 Old 04-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

To all:

I am unable to download from DirecTV any call letter with a hyphen (WHNS-DT, but all without (WYFFDT) download ok. I was told several weeks ago the hyphen caused this problem. Anyone have additional information?
jbirdwe@attglobal.net

JB - Asheville

post #764 of 10080 Old 05-01-2003, 07:09 PM

Bob Davis:

Is everything OK at WOLO? I have had a reduction in signal for the past 3 days. Usually it's between 93 and 100, now only 41 to 54. I know that the leaves are full now and I hope its not the problem.

Anyone else having problems?

Thanks,
Mike
post #765 of 10080 Old 05-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

WRLKHD suddenly jumped from being mapped to 32-3 to 35-3, where they should be.
But they still remain at 54 to 63% for the last 4 weeks. They used to be at 100%. All other channels are at 100%. What are they still doing/fixing? Anybody knows?

Kirill
post #766 of 10080 Old 05-02-2003, 02:19 AM

Is anybody here picking up WACH-DT they are IMO by far the most unreliable digital channel in the area.
Since they went live in October it is longer the time they had being off than on.
And it seems, the few times they are on air their signal fluctuates widely.

Oscar
post #767 of 10080 Old 05-02-2003, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Mike-
Wolo is at 85% power,(and have been for weeks) as we lost 2 amplifier modules, but from where you are, that should not affect the signal. Probably should look for other causes. Even tho we're at 85%, I have a viewer in Fort Mill who is getting us, as well as Bill over in Enoree ..

Jerry-
We have hyphens in all our channels, and no problems with Directv APG

Bob

post #768 of 10080 Old 05-06-2003, 05:17 AM

i used to pick up WACH-DT but for the last couple of weeks i get "no signal" from my OTA Samsung box. are others getting WACH-DT? also, i've been having problems with WOLO-DT. the signal locks and i get a picture but then everying minute or two the audio goes crazy and the video blanks out. the sampsung then "re-syncs" and it starts over again. is it possible the PSIP is causing a problem? anyone else having this problem?
thanks,
post #769 of 10080 Old 05-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by joe balazs
i used to pick up WACH-DT but for the last couple of weeks i get "no signal" from my OTA Samsung box. are others getting WACH-DT? also, i've been having problems with WOLO-DT. the signal locks and i get a picture but then everying minute or two the audio goes crazy and the video blanks out. the sampsung then "re-syncs" and it starts over again. is it possible the PSIP is causing a problem? anyone else having this problem?
thanks,

WACH-DT is off the air 90% of the time lately.
WOLO-DT - haven't watched it lately.
WRLK-DT (PBS) - has been running at very low power since about 4 weeks ago.

Kirill
post #770 of 10080 Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 AM

Bob, do you have an estimated date when you will have your new parts and bring WOLO back to full power? I get a bit more freezes and blips at the present time,hopefully you will be back up to 100% by the time of the Stanley Cup finals.
post #771 of 10080 Old 05-07-2003, 09:48 AM

WACH HAS AN ANTENNA PROBLEM WHICH IS BEING ADDRESSED BY DIELECTRIC.STATUS IS UNKNOWN AS OF NOW.AS FOR WOLO WE DID HAVE A PSIP PROBLEM THAT SHOULD BE CORRECTED NOW.BUT KNOWING THE NATURE OF PSIP THE PROBLEMWILL RETURN

Quote:
Originally posted by joe balazs
thanks,

Jim
post #772 of 10080 Old 05-07-2003, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bill-
we are awaiting replacement amplifier modules from France, they seem to
be a moving target, which is causing you the problem at your approximately
80 mile distance. PSIP is all fine now as well as Jim says.

Bob

post #773 of 10080 Old 05-07-2003, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious, since no one has mentioned. What does Wis-DT look like when they are doing NBC-HD. I think I remember back that they were broadcasting 2 extra sub channels. Does the picture suffer like Wltx when they were multi casting back during the NCAA basketball tournament.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
post #774 of 10080 Old 05-07-2003, 07:15 PM

Kevin

WIS-DT looks outstanding, ranks up there with WLTX normal feeds!

Mike
post #775 of 10080 Old 05-09-2003, 12:02 PM

Hi Guys, new member here.

I am in Newberry, SC and own an Electronics sales and service shop. I started selling HDTV sets and tuners last September, and have enjoyed watching the new system grow. I have not read every page of this thread yet, but it looks like you guys keep up with everything quite well.

As far as WACH-DT signal, I understand that they have an antenna problem, and it should be back on the air within a few weeks.

Here in Newberry, I can pick up the Columbia, Charlotte (except 64 and 42), Greenville, Spartanburg, Asheville, and Augusta stations at most of my installs (and at home!). I do not do sell satellites, so I have no useful info on them. But if you have a question about terrestrial reception or the Zenith, Samsung, or RCA tuners, I may be able to help.

have a great weekend,
Corey
post #776 of 10080 Old 05-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

cohbraz:
I have a question. I use a Samsung TS160 for OTA and cannot receive program guides for any Asheville station that uses a hyphen in its DT call letters, or a space as in WLOS..

Example: WLOS uses ABC 13 for 13-1, I get "Regular Schedule."
For WSPADT, 7-1 I get a valid program schedule.
For WYFFDT, 4-1, I get a valid program scheule.
For WHNS-DT, 21-1, I get "Regular Schedule.
Samsung says its the station. Other notes on the net says it is caused by when the station does not use xxxxDT as its call letters. Titan says its the station.
It is really a pain not to have the program info available from the Guide. Any suggestions.
jb

JB - Asheville

post #777 of 10080 Old 05-09-2003, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome Corey, It's good to know that you can see both Charlotte and Columbia stations.. Yell if we can help you or your customers out in any
way!

Bob

post #778 of 10080 Old 05-09-2003, 12:41 PM

JB,
It sounds like WHNS and WLOS are not providing the program guide information. I am not aware of amy particular call letter format required by the Samsung to receive the guide. It's just that some are not providing the info right now. Also, can you receive WUNF-DT , analog 33, on channel 25? I understand that they are supposed to be on, but I can't get them.

May be of interest to the techies on this board: in Newberry we are having a very interesting problem. As you know, WACH broadcasts analog on channel 57. Now, WHNS in Asheville is broadcasting digital on channel 57. WRLK analog is 35. WGGS in Greenville is digital on channel 35. Can you say major foul up? Several of my antenna customers are having a hard time picking up WACH and WRLK due to WHNS and WGGS, respectfully. Comcast cable in Newberry had nearly no signal at all on these two stations for a week and a half. What is happening is the digital signal is being picked up by the antenna, even on the back side, and overiding the analog signal. The TV can't decode the digital signal, so all it sees is a weaker analog signal.

And who says the FCC isn't on the ball?
post #779 of 10080 Old 05-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

cohbraz
WUNF-33 (DT25) maps to 33-1 on its Asheville/Pisgah transmitter. The Asheville station has no local origination, and receives its programming from the Triangle. Additionally, 33-2 is reserved for HDTV, usually in primetime, but I have yet to catch one of its "HDTV Demonstrations." 33-3 is UNC Kids, 33-4 is UNC Ed; 33-5 is UNC NC, a channel expected to be programmed for special interest to NC. I receive all (except 33-2) ok, although at a rather low signal level due to an obstruction in the path.
You are checking in on the Columbia SC HD forum, do you also check in on the Western NC HDTV forum?
I will ask those stations which are nor programming their schedules to please do so.
Jerry Birdwell

JB - Asheville

post #780 of 10080 Old 05-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

cohbraz: The Western Carolinas' address is:
AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Western Carolinas HDTV
jb

JB - Asheville