Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 324 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9691 of 10077 Old 09-10-2009, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Columbia SC HD Locals are up on Directv! Finally! Woo Hoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9692 of 10077 Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm trying not to get too excited about http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/10...etails-emerge/ but the whole multi-tuner Media Center thing sounds really good.

Does TWC in Columbia support the 'multi-stream' CableCards that related links say this thing needs for multiple shows to be recorded at once? HD cable played back through my Xbox 360 would be nice...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #9693 of 10077 Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

I'm trying not to get too excited about http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/10...etails-emerge/ but the whole multi-tuner Media Center thing sounds really good.

Does TWC in Columbia support the 'multi-stream' CableCards that related links say this thing needs for multiple shows to be recorded at once? HD cable played back through my Xbox 360 would be nice...

Yes, they do, but remember than most HD channels use SDV, and HD Tivo is the only device that is supported ,and it's not perfect by no means. Their lack support for cable cards is the main reason I no longer have cable.
post #9694 of 10077 Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

Yes, they do, but remember than most HD channels use SDV, and HD Tivo is the only device that is supported ,and it's not perfect by no means. Their lack support for cable cards is the main reason I no longer have cable.

'Tuning Adapters' are mentioned for SDV, but not enough details for me to see if that's a rent-from-TWC thing or something I'd buy along with the PCIe adapter card...

Fond something. http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/08...r-impressions/

Free sounds about right to me...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #9695 of 10077 Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

'Tuning Adapters' are mentioned for SDV, but not enough details for me to see if that's a rent-from-TWC thing or something I'd buy along with the PCIe adapter card...

Fond something. http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/08...r-impressions/

Free sounds about right to me...

i had the pos tuning adapter, and it only works(almost) with series 3 tivos. they are free but you must have a tivo.
post #9696 of 10077 Old 09-12-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwalke View Post

Does WACH pass the Raycom Sports football games through in HD? I'm moving to Columbia later this fall and wasn't sure if they were broadcasting non-network material in HD yet or not.

your question has been answered today. The ACC Raycom game is in HD on Wach-DT. Great news!
post #9697 of 10077 Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 PM

well here it is, the start of the 2009-2010 tv season and still no CW in HD. hmmmmm, what would one have to do to move this along? the last news i heard was that the CW itself was not airing in hd from the source(the CW) but then how do shows like supernatural and smallville end up showing in HD in other cities? anyone know anything about this? If i am not mistaken whenever a show starts dont they say "In HD where available"?
post #9698 of 10077 Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgr131 View Post

Columbia SC HD Locals are up on Directv! Finally! Woo Hoo!

Awesome news! Now I can finally pull-the-trigger and get DirecTV! We've been holding off until this happened.
post #9699 of 10077 Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesheep View Post

well here it is, the start of the 2009-2010 tv season and still no CW in HD. hmmmmm, what would one have to do to move this along? the last news i heard was that the CW itself was not airing in hd from the source(the CW) but then how do shows like supernatural and smallville end up showing in HD in other cities? anyone know anything about this? If i am not mistaken whenever a show starts dont they say "In HD where available"?

The CW has been doing HD for several years, our low budget local chose to do the least possible by law. I do not know why they do broadcast in 720p digital 4:3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WZRB

Their website has been down for over a year. http://www.cw47columbia.com/

(803) 714-2347. Address: 1747 Cushman Dr, Columbia, SC 29204

http://twitter.com/WZRBCW47
post #9700 of 10077 Old 09-16-2009, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
WZRB is just a satellite station..there is nothing here but a transmitter and dish...fed by a satellite feed..which is not an HD link..their master control is located in another state. Kinda like WOLO except no news and a much smaller pipe that can't carry HD.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9701 of 10077 Old 09-16-2009, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

WZRB is just a satellite station..there is nothing here but a transmitter and dish...fed by a satellite feed..which is not an HD link..their master control is located in another state. Kinda like WOLO except no news and a much smaller pipe that can't carry HD.

why would they broadcast in 720p?
post #9702 of 10077 Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

why would they broadcast in 720p?

Well.. kinda like back in the 80's when stereo for Tv came along..We installed
a synthesizer and turned the stereo light on and people thought it was great and sounded sooo much better. And we sold enough ads for stereo TV's to pay for all the conversion equipment and then some..And.. like how many viewers think our local audio is real 5.1 because the receiver's little blue light comes on indicating 5.1.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9703 of 10077 Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM

Yeah

October 28, 2009: The following channels will be added (channel numbers to be determined):

HBO 2 East HD - HDTV Digital Converter and premium HBO
HBO Signature East HD - HDTV Digital Converter and premium HBO
HBO Family East HD - HDTV Digital Converter and premium HBO
HBO Comedy East HD - HDTV Digital Converter and premium HBO
HBO Zone East HD - HDTV Digital Converter and premium HBO
HBO Latino East HD - HDTV Digital Converter and premium HBO
BBC America HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Digital Tier
Fox Sports Carolinas HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Basic Cable
Headline News HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Basic Cable
Investigation Discovery HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Digital Tier
Lifetime HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Basic Cable
MSNBC HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Basic Cable
Telemundo HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Basic Cable
post #9704 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 02:35 AM

gail2magic, where did you get this information? it makes me happy to see twc expanding and atleast trying to catch up to others but at the same time it saddens me when i look at the actual channel line up getting hd.

still waiting on cartoon network, comedy central, mtv, disney xd, nick, THE FREAKING CW!(i know this one cannot be blamed on time warner but still....)

it kinda sucks about hbo, i will be cutting it off after entourage season finale, but it would have been nice to have these hd channels earlier during my time with hbo, its just that their movie line up sux and the only thing i really watch on their is entourage, true blood, and bill maher.....so wont be keeping it after next week......unless HBO on Demand goes HD.
post #9705 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

it saddens me when i look at the actual channel line up getting hd.

These whippersnappers today have no patience. IIRC it was just 5 years ago we had 2 HD channels.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9706 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

How does the song go?? I want it all..I want it all..and I want it NOW!

Bob

post #9707 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 AM

You can always check to see what is coming (IF...lol...they have added anything) at the Time Warner website. http://www.timewarnercable.com and up top...put in your location then look for the link at the bottom right for Channel Changes.

I asked a Time Warner representative and he told me that they were recently told that many more will be added in the Carolinas before January 1st. They are expecting at least 100 total before 2010. This was the first time that the Customer Service people seemed to know anything about what is coming. It was very encouraging.
post #9708 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

so, more HD channels you won't be able to watch because of their implementation of SDV

But, anyways, that's great if those HBO channels are coming in HD to y'all. I'm still waiting for DirecTV to add all those other HBO channels in HD as well...we'll see what happens when the new sat goes up and comes online!

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #9709 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail2magic View Post

I asked a Time Warner representative and he told me that they were recently told that many more will be added in the Carolinas before January 1st. They are expecting at least 100 total before 2010. This was the first time that the Customer Service people seemed to know anything about what is coming. It was very encouraging.

Ok Gail we are holding you personally responsible for this. Although by the time those you already mentioned get here the only other HD I'd ever look at is Weather so I can see myself getting wiped out by a hurricane in HD.

Gary J

post #9710 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Ok Gail we are holding you personally responsible for this. Although by the time those you already mentioned get here the only other HD I'd ever look at is Weather so I can see myself getting wiped out by a hurricane in HD.

LOL....just don't blame me for the hurricane or Switched Digital
As much as I love getting new HD channels, I agree that it is frustrating to think I recorded a HD show & find nothing due to Switched Digital grrrrrr.
post #9711 of 10077 Old 09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are having SDV problems it may be a neighborhood node issue. I have not had such problems for quite some time.

Gary J

post #9712 of 10077 Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I hear ya on this one. I just saw the press release that DIRECTV is now broadcasting CW in HD in Columbia. Encouraging, but I'm a TWC customer. Hopefully, TWC will follow suit soon.
I also saw a comment on the WZRB Facebook page which said "When the CW gets NASCAR coverage from their half-sister station TNT, that is when WZRB will have an HD feed..."
Not sure how far off that is, but hopefully it will be soon.
post #9713 of 10077 Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

I hear ya on this one. I just saw the press release that DIRECTV is now broadcasting CW in HD in Columbia. Encouraging, but I'm a TWC customer. Hopefully, TWC will follow suit soon.
I also saw a comment on the WZRB Facebook page which said "When the CW gets NASCAR coverage from their half-sister station TNT, that is when WZRB will have an HD feed..."

WZRB doesn't broadcast in HD (well, I guess 'technically' they do broadcast in 720p now...it just isn't showing any HD content)...I don't believe DirecTV is showing WZRB in HD on the Columbia local stations (unless the programming is shown from another affiliate).

When WZRB decides to actually broadcast HD content, then everyone will get it...but, I'd imagine TWC would be one of the last since there isn't a HD channel for the CW on TWC in Columbia (at least not the last time I traversed the 800 level channels)

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #9714 of 10077 Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

If you are having SDV problems it may be a neighborhood node issue. I have not had such problems for quite some time.

I have told TW Customer Support over and over that there is a problem. They keep scheduling a visit from a technician and assure me that they can "fix" the problem. When the tech(s) (there have been several) arrive, they always say that there isn't a problem. Of course, they never arrive when my SDV channels are showing the message that the channels are not available. When I insist there is, they say that "perhaps" it is a problem that can not be fixed in my area due to so many homes and apartments in my area feeding off the signal. They say that my area falls in an area that they consider over developed. I keep calling and bugging them so hopefully they will get it fixed. I am persistent lol. My sister says that my bugging is like "dripping water"...it will eventually drive them crazy. I have learned that a reboot usually fixes a problem SDV channel so it can be recorded or watched.

Gail
post #9715 of 10077 Old 10-04-2009, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

they say that "perhaps" it is a problem that can not be fixed in my area due to so many homes and apartments in my area feeding off the signal. They say that my area falls in an area that they consider over developed.

They may be right about over development but I think that really means their distribution is under developed for that area. Maybe you can find a way to escalate the issue with TWC or government authorities.

Gary J

post #9716 of 10077 Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliek View Post

It's still very annoying that they have something screwed up in their conversion where they are downsizing the HD source from CW twice. Using Zoom1 on my TV gets the picture back to standard 4:3. (At least during America's Next Top Model)

If you go to the channel browser on the DirecTV website, choose locals and switch to "High Def" they have the logos all messed up for the Columbia locals. WIS, WLTX, and WZRB all have the CW logo, WOLO, WRLK, and WACH have the PBS logo.
post #9717 of 10077 Old 10-04-2009, 07:02 AM

Anyone have any real information on exactly what the power problem was with ESPN Classic's broadcast of the USC vs SC State game? I was in the press box, but was handling the SC State radio broadcast so I didn't get to see what was going on with the TV side. I'm wondering if it was a Williams-Brice problem, SCE&G, or just the TV production people. And I thought most TV production companies brought their own generator for these types of broadcasts for this exact reason.
post #9718 of 10077 Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Yeah

October 28, 2009: The following channels will be added (channel numbers to be determined):

Fox Sports Carolinas HD - HDTV Digital Converter and Basic Cable

Looks like Fox Sports Carolinas HD has been added ahead of schedule. It's currently showing up on 813 and 961. I suspect 961 will become it's permanent place as 813 is where they put SportSouth HD when the Braves are playing.
post #9719 of 10077 Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM

Congratulations to WOLO on being the first in Columbia to take their local news HD! Graphics look great, weather and Reg were definitely in HD, however the studio cams from downtown still look a little fuzzy. I suspect they are zoomed SD to fit full screen. Is weather done out of Charlotte? If so that would explain why Reg definitely looked HD. All of the field footage is still in SD with sidebars.

Congrats, BD!
post #9720 of 10077 Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, they've been doing the weather out of Charlotte all along. Sometimes I amuse myself by watching Reg or Derek do the weather on WCCB's 10 o'clock news, then on WOLO at 11. They'd have to drive like a bat out of h*** down I-77 to do it in Columbia.

I'll have to check out the news on WOLO tomorrow!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page