Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 326 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9751 of 10075 Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to jump into you guys thread but we just got Navigator here in Greensboro NC. Boy is it a big improvement over SARA. The con's are it's a bit slower than SARA, we lost the copy to vcr or dvd burner feature. The pro's are huge. First we now have multible bookmarks that you do not lose if tv turns off or someone starts a new recorded shows. So far I got 8 shows bookmarked and all work great. We got the TIVO jump back feature when rewinding it works great. Great news we finially have a true series manager that you can set priorties with and it works great. Also if you have a conflit Navigator will look for a later showing and auto record it. We have a TIVO like 28 day rule that if Navigator has recorded a show it will not record it againfor 24 to 28 days without being told to do so. Shows with improper guide data such as NFL live or news shows on FOX and CNN and Daily show or exceptions. However for this we still have time slot recording. The search engine and theme search blows sara away. Very tivo or passport like. I hear keyword search will be added in next couple of updates.To advance to another day just hit 1 on the keypad and then the right button on the control. I was watching Panthers football yesterday hit 7 and advance and wow was watching what would be on next sunday while watching this sunday. Could ever do that with sara.All in all except for being a bit slower its a big improvement. Also my Navigator is very stable. In the two weeks I have had it I have had no missed recordings or reboot. Guess most stability problems have now been solved. I was not loking forward to Navigator but now I say where have you been. I used to have passport at a small beach cabin I owned and Navigator is now very close to that. Hopes ths helps guys. Don't be afraid. If it works as well for yo as it does for me you will love it. The biggest drawback is learning to use it. TWC does have answeres on demand back that helps. Once you master it I tink you will all be pleased. Oh yea you can still start from beginning while recording without being kicked out. Cheers all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 10075 Old 11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So, was Copy To VCR deleted recently or was it never available on Navigator? I sure hope the S-video port still works for the manual workaround...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #9753 of 10075 Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM

I am envious Woody. I hope to have it soon.
post #9754 of 10075 Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 AM

dvd burner feature? the only feature i ever saw was the record to vcr feature
post #9755 of 10075 Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesheep View Post

dvd burner feature? the only feature i ever saw was the record to vcr feature

The copy to vcr function worked if connected to dvd burner instead of a vcr. Made perfect copys. It was never a feature in Navigator but I hear it is to be added as a new feature in a future update. Cheers
post #9756 of 10075 Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

The copy to vcr function worked if connected to dvd burner instead of a vcr. Made perfect copys. It was never a feature in Navigator but I hear it is to be added as a new feature in a future update. Cheers

Good! While I can capture while just playing back, Copy To VCR let me turn off the DVR while it did its thing...

post #9757 of 10075 Old 11-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Why is channel 951 (ESPN2 HD) broadcasting the same as 953 (ESPN NEWS HD)?

ESPN2 HD should be broadcasting the Penn State vs. Ohio State game. On channel 27, the game is on, but not on 951. Second weekend in a row that Time Warner or ESPN has messed it up.
post #9758 of 10075 Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 PM

Is anyone else seeing green bars and a little bit of green tiling just below the bars across the top of the screen on WIS-HD during the SEC Network games? I've noticed this on every game that I can recall this season including Saturday's USC at Arkansas game. It happens throughout except when WIS goes to local commercials so it's definitely something originating from the network side.

I'm on TWC in Lexington using an 8300HDC STB and a Samsung HD set.
post #9759 of 10075 Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grath View Post

Is anyone else seeing green bars and a little bit of green tiling just below the bars across the top of the screen on WIS-HD during the SEC Network games? I've noticed this on every game that I can recall this season including Saturday's USC at Arkansas game. It happens throughout except when WIS goes to local commercials so it's definitely something originating from the network side.

I'm on TWC in Lexington using an 8300HDC STB and a Samsung HD set.

Yep, I saw it as well. Wasn't happening on any other channels.
post #9760 of 10075 Old 11-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys. Here I am butting into your forum again. Wanted to give you a update on Navigator. The cons first- 1- In the show list useing series manager it is slow but useable. 2- Miss my copy to vcr option but I hear from TWC that it's comeing back. Now the Pros. 1- It has been as stable as SARA. In for weeks not one reboot or missed recording. 2- Loads of new features we always wanted in SARA such as being able to delete one show without deleateing the entire series. 2- multible bookmarks that you do not lose if box is turned off or another recorded show started. 3- able to put you favorite channels first in the guide ( ODN version only I hear) Great search engine that is only going to get better in future updates. Able to control length the banner appers on th screen. While useing guide say you are on channel 3 and want to see channel 150. Instead of scrolling just key in 150 and guide jumps to that channel. Great progamming control. If Navigator records a new show or repeat once ( with the proper episode information in the discription it will not record it again without being asked to for 28 days. Exceptions to this rule or shows with out proper episode guide data such as The Daily Show, News shows ect. For tHis Navigator GIVES YOU TIME SLOT RECORDING AND LETS YOU CHOOSE NEW SHOWS OR ALL EPISODES. Sorry for the caps hit caps key while typeing.. Just take time and explore Navigator there or many many new features. TWC does a very poor job telling you what they are but they are there. Like I say the speed in showlist and series manager needs to improve but besides that it is a very modern and stable guide. I hear the new Samsung boxes will be faster but they are not availble here due to some early bugs in them . Hope this helps guys CHEERS.
post #9761 of 10075 Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 AM

Thanks Woody. I am patiently waiting.. Sara needs to go.
post #9762 of 10075 Old 11-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I now have N on my non DVR HD box and it is sloooooooooooooow! Besides that the volume control does not work either on the remote or the cable box. It can be mute or at full volume, no way to adjust it. Hopefully when my DVR gets N it will work! I did go to live chat a few minutes ago and they are going to have a tech guy here between 8 - 10 in the morning so I got that going for me!

We shall see if he/she can fix it! Saturday is a day when we use both sets a lot. I love football and my wife does not so they both get a workout on Saturday and Sunday.
post #9763 of 10075 Old 11-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post

I now have N on my non DVR HD box and it is sloooooooooooooow! Besides that the volume control does not work either on the remote or the cable box. It can be mute or at full volume, no way to adjust it. Hopefully when my DVR gets N it will work! I did go to live chat a few minutes ago and they are going to have a tech guy here between 8 - 10 in the morning so I got that going for me!

We shall see if he/she can fix it! Saturday is a day when we use both sets a lot. I love football and my wife does not so they both get a workout on Saturday and Sunday.

If you have one of those old Pioneer boxes Navigator is very slow on those due to a lack of memory. The new Samsung non dvr boxes if you can get one are a lot faster. My 8240hdc runs navigator very well but it.s a newer box. You can reprogram your control to handle the volume on Navigator. The TWC tech will probably do it for you. Cheers
post #9764 of 10075 Old 11-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

all the tech guy did is get me sound that I can control but told me my external speakers probably will not work with navigator. SARA where did you go?
post #9765 of 10075 Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:

all the tech guy did is get me sound that I can control but told me my external speakers probably will not work with navigator. SARA where did you go?

Speakers won't work? Are you kidding? What kind of "improvement" is that? Ridiculous.
post #9766 of 10075 Old 11-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

That is total BS what he told you. I have a surround sound system hooked up with NAVIGATOR and all my speakers work perfect. You need to get another TWC tech out to your house or someone who knows what that are doing. My brother in law hooked mine up and they I mean all 4 of my speakers work perfect and in perfect sync. That tech just blew you off. What he told you is absolutely 100% not true. CHEERS
post #9767 of 10075 Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

I now agree, my speakers do work. I worked on it last night and it is now working fine. That said, Navigator sucks BIG TIME! I change my favorite channels all the time, I am a sports fan so on Saturday I will load them up at noon with those games and then change them as the days goes along. That was very easy to do in SARA, a pain in Navigator. I could go on but you get the idea.

I was able to fix my speakers by going to our other set and seeing what the settings where and doing that to the Navigator set and all worked fine. Seems a tech should know what to do?
post #9768 of 10075 Old 11-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Does anyone know what happened to the HD on WACH for the Cowboys/Packers game? It flipped over to SD early in the 1st quarter and is still that way in the 3rd. I'm watching on TWC.

Thanks!

Heath
post #9769 of 10075 Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grath View Post

Is anyone else seeing green bars and a little bit of green tiling just below the bars across the top of the screen on WIS-HD during the SEC Network games? I've noticed this on every game that I can recall this season including Saturday's USC at Arkansas game.

I have noticed that on several games this year on the SEC Network too - something with their feed.

Heath
post #9770 of 10075 Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I now agree, my speakers do work. I worked on it last night and it is now working fine. That said, Navigator sucks BIG TIME! I change my favorite channels all the time, I am a sports fan so on Saturday I will load them up at noon with those games and then change them as the days goes along. That was very easy to do in SARA, a pain in Navigator. I could go on but you get the idea.

I was able to fix my speakers by going to our other set and seeing what the settings where and doing that to the Navigator set and all worked fine. Seems a tech should know what to do?

One easy solution to your sports problem is to ht the access button go to sports now and switch between any current games you wish. It works great for me. Hope this helps. CHEERS
post #9771 of 10075 Old 11-17-2009, 03:39 AM

I have been gatored! It is about time. So far it looks much better than SARA.
post #9772 of 10075 Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow !! Huge difference this morning on my TWC DVR software !!

Is there a post or thread about the new features, and so forth ??

TIA!
post #9773 of 10075 Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

Wow !! Huge difference this morning on my TWC DVR software !!

Is there a post or thread about the new features, and so forth ??

TIA!

Yep. It is called Navigator. I have been waiting on it for a while. SARA was the old software. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=723830
post #9774 of 10075 Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

So maybe Passport is the one I disliked. I guess I'll have to hope for the best...

post #9775 of 10075 Old 11-17-2009, 03:43 PM

I have the SA 8300HD box from TWC and a Western Digital expansion 500 GB Hard Drive, all was well, we had a bunch of shows recorded from when we were on vacation - like 20 shows - come the conversion to Navagator and now they are all listed (with the exception of The Good Wife from 10/13) as not been able to be recorded - which I know is not true, since I had watched a few shows that my wife had not watched and they were good to go before the conversion to Navagator.

There are a bunch of things missing on the new system - and yes I have rebooted it.

My opinion - I will convert to U-Verse and drop TWC!

Doug
post #9776 of 10075 Old 11-17-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbarnum View Post

I will convert to U-Verse and drop TWC!

Yes we were all waiting to see what you were going to do.

The only thing worse for me is I used to FF 3 times then Skip Back 3 times to get right at the end of commercials. Doesn't seem to work now but overall much improvement.
post #9777 of 10075 Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 AM

My external drive on the E-sata port got screwed up too. The new software must be using a new copy protection system. Now all show on that drive won't play and it was disabling my DVR feature until I hooked it to a PC formated it NTFS then hook it back to the DVR and it asked to format the drive again. I lost the show but it gave me the DVR function back.
post #9778 of 10075 Old 11-18-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Yes we were all waiting to see what you were going to do.

The only thing worse for me is I used to FF 3 times then Skip Back 3 times to get right at the end of commercials. Doesn't seem to work now but overall much improvement.

It has an automatic skip back now that I had to get used to. Makes FFing and then stopping a little less precise for me, but oh well.
post #9779 of 10075 Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoGamecoq View Post

It has an automatic skip back now that I had to get used to. Makes FFing and then stopping a little less precise for me, but oh well.

Tivo also has the skip back after ff. When I had tivo I got used to waiting to see the show to hit play and got the timing down perfect after using it awhile. Once you get used to it on the TWC DVR you may like it better. I know I do.
post #9780 of 10075 Old 11-18-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I got used to it pretty quickly last night...

Does anyone know how to quickly return back to the currently viewed channel when surfing the program guide? It used to be that if you were watching, say, ch 805 and then pulled up the guide and surfed down to 950, all you had to was press "C" on the remote and it would bring you back up to 805. This doesn't work in Navigator.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page