post #9811 of 10075 Old 12-02-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMan View Post

My external drive on the E-sata port got screwed up too. The new software must be using a new copy protection system. Now all show on that drive won't play and it was disabling my DVR feature until I hooked it to a PC formated it NTFS then hook it back to the DVR and it asked to format the drive again. I lost the show but it gave me the DVR function back.

Aha !!

So I only need to format my external HD in Windows as NTFS, then reconnect it to the DVR and it will reformat it, and then it will work perfectly again ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 10075 Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 PM

Liked: 10
It worked for me. You can check your drive storage size before/after the formating to confirm if it's working for you. Just turn off the box press and hold the SELECT key and when the flashing envelope appears in the left of the front display press the DOWN key for the diagnostic screen.
post #9813 of 10075 Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody notice that last night's USC-WKU game was blacked out on SportSouth? The commercials came on fine, but everytime they returned to the game, it was a black screen with full audio.
post #9814 of 10075 Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

i had the pos tuning adapter, and it only works(almost) with series 3 tivos. they are free but you must have a tivo.

MS has announced that Windows 7 will support SDV and I know of at least one cablecard manufacturer that intends to support SDV using the SDV tuning adapter.
post #9815 of 10075 Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Is anybody else having trouble with TWC sending down old downloads - like the ones that won't let you rewind in a show you are watching? I am ending doing two or three reboots a day - to get it to the right operating system. Also, half of the time the new download does not recognize my eSATA drive - and I will see my recorded space go to zero - then reboot and it comes back - and even sometimes I can play the shows and not go to a black screen.

If nobody else is having these issues - I may take my SA8300 in and swap it - but I really don't want to do that.

Everybody was saying that TWC went to Navagator from SARA to make more money - how is that - is their license fee less?

Doug
post #9816 of 10075 Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

No, but the constant hard-drive "whirring" sounds from my bedroom SA8000HD has me also considering a return. It never was that way prior to the Navigator upgrade.
post #9817 of 10075 Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
TW owns N so there are no fees they have to pay for that piece of crap
post #9818 of 10075 Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbarnum View Post

Is anybody else having trouble with TWC sending down old downloads - like the ones that won't let you rewind in a show you are watching? I am ending doing two or three reboots a day - to get it to the right operating system. Also, half of the time the new download does not recognize my eSATA drive - and I will see my recorded space go to zero - then reboot and it comes back - and even sometimes I can play the shows and not go to a black screen.

If nobody else is having these issues - I may take my SA8300 in and swap it - but I really don't want to do that.

Everybody was saying that TWC went to Navagator from SARA to make more money - how is that - is their license fee less?

I have not experienced that with mine.
post #9819 of 10075 Old 12-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Thanks for your replies - last night was even worse - I could not get the machine to come up with the schedule and even the Select button would not work - even when I hit select on the 8300 itself! Plus of course no recording and no playback of any previously recorded show.

I'll take it back to TWC today and get a new box.

Also, thanks for the ownership of Navigator reply - now it makes a lot more sense as to why we got this piece of c**p.

Doug
post #9820 of 10075 Old 12-14-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
The last several months with SARA were also bad here. If the existing settings had been kept the changeover would have been acceptable, but if they KEEP losing my recordings the score will keep dropping...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #9821 of 10075 Old 12-14-2009, 07:29 AM

SARA was terrible. No keyword search and so on. The only problem I have had with Navigator was some of my recordings had to be set up again. I think that is more due to the program guide changes (names etc.) than Navigator. I do like the extra information displayed about a program now.
post #9822 of 10075 Old 12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm still worried about lost recordings. I have few missing for next week due to holiday reruns, but Navigator doesn't have the fake-date placeholder for the ones not actually going to be recorded that SARA had.

If the missing do show up for the week after that's fine, but now I have to WATCH for them and that's no fun.

I do like the way Navigator resumes playback of a recorded show where you left off...

post #9823 of 10075 Old 12-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

I'm still worried about lost recordings. I have few missing for next week due to holiday reruns, but Navigator doesn't have the fake-date placeholder for the ones not actually going to be recorded that SARA had.

If the missing do show up for the week after that's fine, but now I have to WATCH for them and that's no fun.

I do like the way Navigator resumes playback of a recorded show where you left off...

Thats the beauty of Navigator. We no longer have the SARA placeholders but a real series manager. Check your series manager when the shows are next new. You should get them and the SM will show they are scheduled. CHEERS
post #9824 of 10075 Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazywoody View Post

Thats the beauty of Navigator. We no longer have the SARA placeholders but a real series manager. Check your series manager when the shows are next new. You should get them and the SM will show they are scheduled. CHEERS

Yep. That is one of my favorite features. One I missed when I changed from directivo to twc sara.
post #9825 of 10075 Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Yep. Now is there something about new channels on the 31st?
post #9826 of 10075 Old 12-19-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's my issue: a Series Manager should show me which shows I am managing, not just the ones within the 1-week window that are up for recording. That placeholder MEANT something, and is now missed...

post #9827 of 10075 Old 12-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's my issue: a Series Manager should show me which shows I am managing, not just the ones within the 1-week window that are up for recording. That placeholder MEANT something, and is now missed...

With Sara the place holder was blank if no show was new or were scheduled to be recorded. Check the scheduled recordings list in Navigator to get the same information. Same result just a different way of doing it. CHEERS
post #9828 of 10075 Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With Sara the place holder was blank if no show was new or were scheduled to be recorded. Check the scheduled recordings list in Navigator to get the same information. Same result just a different way of doing it. CHEERS

No, "The Big Bang Theory" does *not* appear there this week, apparently because the next new episode is more than a week away. They do not keep *all* scheduled recordings on-hand...

post #9829 of 10075 Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, "The Big Bang Theory" does *not* appear there this week, apparently because the next new episode is more than a week away. They do not keep *all* scheduled recordings on-hand...

Neither did SARA. All you got was a blank place holder that gave you absolutely zero information. For my money the series manager along with scheduled recordings list is much better in manageing shows and takes up less disk space. Everyone can have their on opinion but TIVO, Direct tv, Passport Echo, Moxi and Replay tv use the series manager rather than place holders. Not saying it is better but it is the majority way DVR interfaces are going. CHEERS and Merry Christmas
post #9830 of 10075 Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Series Manager, which I finally noticed like it hadn't been there before, is what I needed. Now my mom is rid of Dr. Oz without it popping up on the recoding schedule over and over. Darned if I know how it went without notice...

post #9831 of 10075 Old 12-25-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Darned if I know how it went without notice...

Because it was too easy to complain here than learn a little on your own. Answers Navigator/Record a Series has about a 1 minute run time.
post #9832 of 10075 Old 12-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Series Manager, which I finally noticed like it hadn't been there before, is what I needed. Now my mom is rid of Dr. Oz without it popping up on the recoding schedule over and over. Darned if I know how it went without notice...

Glad you found the Series Manager in Navigator. Navigator series manager is very close to the season pass manager TIVO uses. Navigator is much more TIVo like than SARA ever was. When we get Keyword search next year we will then have a wishlist like TIVO. Maybe not as extensive as TIVO.s bu very close to PASSPORT. Time Warner is slowly getting there. CHEERS
post #9833 of 10075 Old 12-30-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody using an external HD that is working OK ??

If so, make and model please ??

Thx !!
post #9834 of 10075 Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 AM

My external drive - Western Digital "My DVR Expander" - was working perfectly for over a year with SARA - however once the change to Navigator - I started having trouble - my SA8300HD had to be swapped out, and that solved the DVR issues I was having, but still the external hard drive is not recognized by the Navigator software. I contacted WD regarding how to make the unit reformat itself and got no help other than to try installing it again and if that failed to return it as defective.

I have tried at least a dozen times to do a fresh install - having the DVR reboot with the external drive connected and running - nope - no luck on getting the software to see the new drive.

One person that posted to this board said they had reformatted the drive using their PC and then hooked it up and it worked, but my PC does not have an eSATA port and the connector cable from the WD drive is only for an eSATA connector.

So, final result - I am limping along with the Hard Drive that is in the DVR and am not happy either.

Doug
post #9835 of 10075 Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

What does the little green icon next to shows on your DVR list mean?

I can not figure it out as it does not show up for everything. I must be missing the common thread.

Thanks
post #9836 of 10075 Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player2 View Post

What does the little green icon next to shows on your DVR list mean?

I can not figure it out as it does not show up for everything. I must be missing the common thread.

Thanks

It means do not delete this show. Go to to series manager to change it as a series. You can change individual shows in the recorded shows list or the scheduled recordings list if show has not yet recorded. CHEERS
post #9837 of 10075 Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Ah.

Thanks for letting me know, it was driving me crazy.
post #9838 of 10075 Old 01-11-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It means do not delete this show. Go to to series manager to change it as a series. You can change individual shows in the recorded shows list or the scheduled recordings list if show has not yet recorded. CHEERS

So green means 'don't'? Weird...no wonder he couldn't figure it out

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #9839 of 10075 Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbarnum View Post

My external drive - Western Digital "My DVR Expander" - was working perfectly for over a year with SARA - however once the change to Navigator - I started having trouble - my SA8300HD had to be swapped out, and that solved the DVR issues I was having, but still the external hard drive is not recognized by the Navigator software. I contacted WD regarding how to make the unit reformat itself and got no help other than to try installing it again and if that failed to return it as defective.

I have tried at least a dozen times to do a fresh install - having the DVR reboot with the external drive connected and running - nope - no luck on getting the software to see the new drive.

One person that posted to this board said they had reformatted the drive using their PC and then hooked it up and it worked, but my PC does not have an eSATA port and the connector cable from the WD drive is only for an eSATA connector.

So, final result - I am limping along with the Hard Drive that is in the DVR and am not happy either.

I tried what that guy said, reformatting my external HD and it does not work for me. I even tried reformatting it several different ways and nothing works.

I REALLY miss having extra capacity because these HighDef shows chew up a lot of HDisc space.
post #9840 of 10075 Old 01-22-2010, 07:02 PM

so i watched the new episode of supernatural on the cw. man do i wish we had that in HD. also Spike HD would be nice......oh well when the shows i watch on those channels end thats when they are going to HD
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page