Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 329 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9841 of 10075 Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setting up my Windows Media Center to do OTA recording/viewing. WIS/WLTX/WOLO all come in beautifully and signal strength is close to max(5 out of 6, or 6 out 7, whichever); but WACH has a signal strength of 1 and thus isn't viewable at all. From looking at antennaweb.org I'm assuming that all the antennas are in the same location, all are showing same direction from me, and all are the same mileage,between 12.0(wach) and 12.5(wis).
Is there something about the WACH signal that its just a much weaker signal?

I'm not using a great antenna, just $3 from big lots with rabbit ears and a loop in one base, but if it picks up the others fine, shouldn't it pick up WACH also?
I don't want to buy one of the $50 antennas if it want do me any good(ie: wach signal is that weak and better antenna wouldn't help)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 10075 Old 01-25-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It is weaker by far. I still get it locked in ,but I know of others who have had issues. Most likely you will need a better antenna.
post #9843 of 10075 Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WACH has just about half the power of WLTX (520 versus 1000 kW). WIS and WOLO are VHF so their power levels aren't directly comparable. The frequency (channel 48 for WACH versus 17 for WLTX) can make a difference all by itself, because it affects multipath interference from reflections which can be strong indoors. Have you tried moving the antenna around to various locations and orientations?
post #9844 of 10075 Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawsc View Post

Setting up my Windows Media Center to do OTA recording/viewing. WIS/WLTX/WOLO all come in beautifully and signal strength is close to max(5 out of 6, or 6 out 7, whichever); but WACH has a signal strength of 1 and thus isn't viewable at all. From looking at antennaweb.org I'm assuming that all the antennas are in the same location, all are showing same direction from me, and all are the same mileage,between 12.0(wach) and 12.5(wis).
Is there something about the WACH signal that its just a much weaker signal?

I'm not using a great antenna, just $3 from big lots with rabbit ears and a loop in one base, but if it picks up the others fine, shouldn't it pick up WACH also?
I don't want to buy one of the $50 antennas if it want do me any good(ie: wach signal is that weak and better antenna wouldn't help)

have you tried just connecting your cable connection (if you have TWC) into your tuner card and getting the ClearQAM channels? That's what I do in Huntsville now through Comcast, and what I will probably try to do with TWC when I return to Columbia in August.

That way, you wouldn't have to worry about antenna positions or anything

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #9845 of 10075 Old 01-27-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Does anyone know how a 'new' episode is identified?

"White Collar" on 853 was supposed to be new last night, but Navigator didn't have it scheduled even though all I wanted was new episodes. I checked it like three times, and while it said NEW in the description I ended up having to set that episode for manual recording.

Is it something besides the description that Navigator is supposed to use to know what's new?...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #9846 of 10075 Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ours recorded as a series like it is supposed to do. That being said -- Navigator is the worst thing TWC has ever done ever period! An example, I use my favorite places all the time for sports programming. It is a real pain to set up and delete channels. SARA was very simple to do, now you have to do each channel one at a time. Whoever designed Navigator must have done it as a prank and TWC bought it.
post #9847 of 10075 Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

Does anyone know how a 'new' episode is identified?

"White Collar" on 853 was supposed to be new last night, but Navigator didn't have it scheduled even though all I wanted was new episodes. I checked it like three times, and while it said NEW in the description I ended up having to set that episode for manual recording.

Is it something besides the description that Navigator is supposed to use to know what's new?...

Just a suggestion but check your series manager under series priority. Since White Collar is a cable show set it at a lower priority than the network shows. If their is a conflict Navigator will auto record a later showing based on the priority list in series manager. Always set cable shows at a lower priority than network shows as they usually have mulitble showings where etwork shows have only one. Check series manager is White Collar is to high in the priority list change it to a lower one and that shoud solve the problem. CHEERS
post #9848 of 10075 Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post

Ours recorded as a series like it is supposed to do. That being said -- Navigator is the worst thing TWC has ever done ever period! An example, I use my favorite places all the time for sports programming. It is a real pain to set up and delete channels. SARA was very simple to do, now you have to do each channel one at a time. Whoever designed Navigator must have done it as a prank and TWC bought it.

Cisco which used to be Scientic Atlanta no longer makes SARA. It has been farmed out to a company that is worst than Time Warner.Cisco is comeing out with a new guide but it is a year or longer before it will hit market. Time Warner had no choice but to replace SARA. CHEERS
post #9849 of 10075 Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM

I'm a TWC susbcriber and have an HD DVR in our main viewing room, a normal HD box in our living room and no box at all (coming straight out of the wall into the tv) in the bedroom. I can't seem to locate ABC HD in the bedroom with this setup. I know they're not the same channel numbers without a box, meaning NBC HD is 805 with the box, but is 10.1 coming straight out of the wall, CBS is 810 vs 19.1, etc. In our previous house I was able to locate ABC HD on channel 89.4, but it doesn't show up at the new house. My inlaws are just a few miles away and they pick up ABC HD at 25.0 also using TWC w/out a cable box. It seems strange to me that they pick it up on a different channel than we used to at our old house, and that we can't find it at all at the new house.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
post #9850 of 10075 Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
So you did a scan? QAM channels can change since cable companies provide them while kicking and screaming.
post #9851 of 10075 Old 01-29-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

So you did a scan? QAM channels can change since cable companies provide them while kicking and screaming.

And change them quite often, tho I doubt that would ever be admitted to...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9852 of 10075 Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Yes, I let the internal tuner do an auto scan, which is the same process I used in our old house. The other locals are on the same channels they were previously and have been there for some time. It would be a weird coincidence that they changed the location of ABCHD at the same time we moved from one house to another.

The reason I'm going this route is that we're already paying for 2 boxes a month and figured we wouldn't be watching a ton of TV in the bedroom. But it's frustrating not being able to locate ABCHD when we have no problem getting the others.

Anyone else in Columbia going this same route to get their HD locals? What channels do the HD locals show up on?
post #9853 of 10075 Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM

I know it's a longshot but does anyone have an idea as to when Columbia may get more HD channels?

Specifically these:

Comedy Central HD
G4 HD
Spike HD
WGN America HD
MTV HD
MTV2 HD
Chiller HD

Just made the switch to HD and love it so far...I just crave more.
post #9854 of 10075 Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 AM

Sorry...my last post was in reference to Time Warner Cable.
post #9855 of 10075 Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffy McBoing View Post

I know it's a longshot but does anyone have an idea as to when Columbia may get more HD channels?

Specifically these:

Comedy Central HD
G4 HD
Spike HD
WGN America HD
MTV HD
MTV2 HD
Chiller HD

Just made the switch to HD and love it so far...I just crave more.

i have the same feelings dude, i would like to add one to that list CW!! eventhough its not supposedly time warner's fault but they could get the feed from charlotte.

how come all the channels dont have that ability to go straight from the sd channel to hd one?
post #9856 of 10075 Old 02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesheep View Post

how come all the channels dont have that ability to go straight from the sd channel to hd one?

I'd like them to fix that too. Seems like one or two that used to work don't anymore. Even some of the ones that already have something pop up when you hit select don't offer it...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #9857 of 10075 Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Are any of you getting a seriously increased number of "currently unavailable please try again later" notifications lately. It rarely happened to me before the last week or two and now its all the time. Tonight I can't watch the following ETV, ETVSC, ETVW, NBC or the substations, CBS or subs, ABC or sub, Fox, TNT, HD theatre, (these are all just blank black screens)Fox news, The Golf Channel is so pixelated that it is unwatchable, Discovery Theater is black, Science Channel Family HD, PGHD, BioHD, Travel HD, IFC HD are all "Currently unavailable" What is the deal?
post #9858 of 10075 Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Navigator SDV take your pick! Call tech support and complain like hell. This goes on all the time everywhere and TWC will really do nothing about it except pay lip service.
post #9859 of 10075 Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilley View Post

Are any of you getting a seriously increased number of "currently unavailable please try again later" notifications lately. It rarely happened to me before the last week or two and now its all the time. Tonight I can't watch the following ETV, ETVSC, ETVW, NBC or the substations, CBS or subs, ABC or sub, Fox, TNT, HD theatre, (these are all just blank black screens)Fox news, The Golf Channel is so pixelated that it is unwatchable, Discovery Theater is black, Science Channel Family HD, PGHD, BioHD, Travel HD, IFC HD are all "Currently unavailable" What is the deal?

I had that a couple days ago and then this morning when I got up, all I got when I turned the TV and cable box on was a blank white screen. And the HDMI source was pretty much gone from the selectable list on the TV.

I had to unplug and reboot the box and after it finally rebooted (which took forever as usual) I then had to unplug and replug the HDMI cable on the cable box end in order to get the HDMI source to show up on the TV list again.

Very irritating...I'm seriously considering switching from TWC to something else...either satellite or U-verse.
post #9860 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffy McBoing View Post

I had that a couple days ago and then this morning when I got up, all I got when I turned the TV and cable box on was a blank white screen. And the HDMI source was pretty much gone from the selectable list on the TV.

I had to unplug and reboot the box and after it finally rebooted (which took forever as usual) I then had to unplug and replug the HDMI cable on the cable box end in order to get the HDMI source to show up on the TV list again.

Very irritating...I'm seriously considering switching from TWC to something else...either satellite or U-verse.

i didnt know u-verse was an option in columbia, and as far as satellite goes, my bill is cheaper with TWC for the same channels+hd
post #9861 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are getting a lot of Channel Unavailable it is a local node issue. U-Verse is coming "real soon" for two years now. They're still digging in the crack engineer's back yard.
post #9862 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're still digging in the crack engineer's back yard.

Once again you are wrong Gary. They haven't even started yet....

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9863 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Once again you are wrong Gary. They haven't even started yet....

Don't make me go back and find the post... or have you deleted it?
post #9864 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Obviously you didn't read my last post very closely..

Bob

post #9865 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Obviously you didn't read my last post very closely..

Yeah I did.

Actually IIRC they were on your back street or alley or something. Anyway the point is U-Verse vaporservice.
post #9866 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep. And I have the details as to why but I won't share them here. Happy now?

Bob

post #9867 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes. And the details are with ubiquitous HD they are irrelevant.
post #9868 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 07:37 AM

U-verse is available in Columbia. I have a couple of friends that currently have U-verse. Unfortunately it is only available in a couple of Neighborhoods.

ATT has to install a VRAD in the neighborhoods where they offer U-Verse. Each VRAD can supplies access to 300 or so homes via fiber.
There are VRADs in Quail Hollow in West Columbia, Coldstream, Murraywood and on Kennerly Road in Irmo. There may be a couple more, but that is about it. So if you are not in one of those neighborhoods, you are SOL at this time.
post #9869 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 AM

We are in NE and U-Verse is available here. I was so frustrated with Navigator I actually signed up for the U-Verse service based upon the info from the sales rep - then as I did some internet research - things I had been told were called into question - so I called and got their tech support folks - long story short the rep did not know what she was talking about when it came to how the service works when it was sold to me - the way it actually works is not what I wanted - nor ATT digging in all my walls to run new wire. So, I am still stuck with TWC and Navigator. And yes, I have been getting lots of Service not available and also - I'll have the TV on for a while and then try to back up and it will tell me that is not available either. Stupid system - and so so slow.

Doug
post #9870 of 10075 Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 PM

I would like to talk to someone who is using a Tivo HD with cable cards on Time Warner Cable. I just wanted to have a two way conversation about how and if it works. I know they do switching and there is an adapter available. I am thinking of upgrading my Series 2 to an HD and dumping my converter box. Does it work? What are the downsides? I don't really care about on demand stuff.

If someone doesn't mind talking to me, please send me a private message either with your phone number, or just let me know you're willing to talk and I'll PM you my phone number.

Thanks,
Roy
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page