Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 332 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9931 of 10078 Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
WOLO (ABC) broadcasts on VHF-8...(and WIS on VHF-10)..most of those cheap antennas have poor performance at VHF..so you may need a better antenna..or move the one you have around to try different locations as possible. And dependent on your location downtown, you may get some signal blockage by buildings. But in general you should not have any issues getting ABC Columbia.

Look here for reference:

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...=&lon=&height=

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 10078 Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sad to see the Columbia thread get so little activity.

What do you think of the new Google TV. I am interested to see how it will interact with the TWC box.

Right now U-Verse seems to be bringing out all the cool extra features.
post #9933 of 10078 Old 10-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player2 View Post

Sad to see the Columbia thread get so little activity.

What do you think of the new Google TV. I am interested to see how it will interact with the TWC box.

Right now U-Verse seems to be bringing out all the cool extra features.

Not sure it's sad to see so little activity. It used to be a lot about the hideous job TWC was doing back in the day. I was a critic but must admit they have gotten it better.
post #9934 of 10078 Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Since this got bumped back up it reminds me...

I had a 19" HDTV out at the game this past saturday. I tuned it to the Digital Broadcast of Channel 10 showing the UT-UGA game. It was locked on and looking beautiful, then I stepped away for a while and when I came back I couldn't get the channel anymore. I tried reaquiring the signal several times...moving the antenna around, etc. Very strange that I couldn't pick up 10-1 in basically downtown Columbia. We all joked that the CBS stage that was nearby had decided to block our signal but I can't think of anything else that would've caused it. Anybody got any ideas?
post #9935 of 10078 Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Most likely interference from a wireless mic on or near WIS VHF frequency.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9936 of 10078 Old 10-13-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I guess our paranoia wasn't that far off-base.

I also suspect I just need to get a bigger antenna. Anybody recommend any good ones that are reasonably portable?
post #9937 of 10078 Old 10-15-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone here have the new TWC HD 3D channel ?
post #9938 of 10078 Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 PM

Does anyone else have issues with ESPN and several other HD channels being very "pixelated" looking these days, especially during movement? Seems like this has happened in the past couple of weeks at my house.
post #9939 of 10078 Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 AM

What is up with the USC-Vandy game not being on the HD FSN Channel?

They need to fix that. Watching football in non-HD now is awful.

As for the above poster, I have not noticed some pixelation and what appears to be lower quality in some ESPN games. However, to me it seems to be the lesser important games. I wondered if it had to do with the quality of camera.
post #9940 of 10078 Old 10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is up with the USC-Vandy game not being on the HD FSN Channel?

It was on FSN HD for me.
post #9941 of 10078 Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexHiDef View Post

Does anyone else have issues with ESPN and several other HD channels being very "pixelated" looking these days, especially during movement? Seems like this has happened in the past couple of weeks at my house.

YES! i sure do, i thought i was the only one who noticed this. do you guys also have time warner? i am thinking this noise is coming in from time warner compressing the crap out the video signal to cram more channels into the same bandwidth.

i am watching on a 58 plasma, and this thing looks terrible..
post #9942 of 10078 Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverthesheep View Post

YES! i sure do, i thought i was the only one who noticed this. do you guys also have time warner? i am thinking this noise is coming in from time warner compressing the crap out the video signal to cram more channels into the same bandwidth.

ESPN has never been one of the best looking HD channels, but I wouldn't say it's been overly pixelated, or really looked any different than ever. I'm watching on a 120" HD Projector.
post #9943 of 10078 Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Anyone signed up for ESPN3?

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9944 of 10078 Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I have Time Warner. I agree with the other poster it's never been fantastic like TBSHD but I compared Saturday nite....a couple of the football games on stations like ABC and even ESPN 2. ESPN was noticably worse.
post #9945 of 10078 Old 10-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4323 View Post

Hey everyone,

I'm new to antenna tv. I lost my cable recently and can't afford it anymore, so I bought a $10 RCA antenna from best buy, put it in the window, connected it to the converter box, which is connected to the analog TV, and boom--I have a great signal on:

WIS and their subchannels
This Columbia
ETV
PBS
CBS
Fox

But no ABC.

The antenna registers that there is something coming from the tower, I think, because it stops on 25.1 and 25.3, but the screen is black.

Any tips on how to get this channel?

Thanks

ETA: I'm in downtown columbia, near USC.

If they have it, try this antenna first:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3611256
post #9946 of 10078 Old 11-02-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Anyone signed up for ESPN3?

yes sir.....i sure did. I am now wondering how long it will take for espn 3d to get here, i am still not sold on 3d but got a great deal on one. I wanna check it out first hand......hopefully they get it launched before my 30 days is up
post #9947 of 10078 Old 11-02-2010, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I watched the Gamecocks game Saturday on ESPN3 through a laptop. Others report getting it through Google TV so I think ESPN3 on the big screen is my next step.

Gary J

post #9948 of 10078 Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 AM

I'd like to hear from some TWC subscribers in the Columbia area. How has service been lately? Any issues with channels disappearing for days, crappy service etc? How is the TWC HD-DVR, is it reliable?

I'm a current Directv subscriber considering a switch to TWC.
post #9949 of 10078 Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Last few days have been bad. Digital channels 105 up to but not including 200 have been hard to get to come in. Last night The Walking Dead was untunable but I see that it did record at 10PM so I have to hope that it's actually watchable. Not sure why all this is happening: sunspots maybe?...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #9950 of 10078 Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice to see that last Thursday Wis has began to broadcast all their news in HD. Quite a improvement from their past blurry vision broadcast.
post #9951 of 10078 Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Paquette View Post
I'd like to hear from some TWC subscribers in the Columbia area. How has service been lately? Any issues with channels disappearing for days, crappy service etc? How is the TWC HD-DVR, is it reliable?

I'm a current Directv subscriber considering a switch to TWC.
My Brother had TWC & said the Locals [WLTX,WOLO, WIS & etc] looked blurry & nasty. He said what they call hd is compressed. He said he the antenna is soooo much better. But what he likes even better is the extra channel sub that you get off the antenna. Also he likes getting Augusta Channels as an extra.
post #9952 of 10078 Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinivey View Post

Nice to see that last Thursday Wis has began to broadcast all their news in HD. Quite a improvement from their past blurry vision broadcast.

Huh, I missed that. It happens I hadn't looked at WIS news since election night. I finally took a look this morning. It definitely does look good. Even the one field clip I saw looked like it was HD.
post #9953 of 10078 Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Does TWC have HD 3D Channels yet???

Anyone tied them if they do ??
post #9954 of 10078 Old 11-19-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I remembered this post last weekend while watching the USC-UF game, that was one awful looking picture. I'm with you now, it was terrible. Wonder what's going on?
post #9955 of 10078 Old 11-20-2010, 04:25 PM

for all those who are wondering what is going on with the terrible pq on hd digital channels.....

this past wednesday time warner came out to my apartments and replaced all wiring. The tech told me that the wiring hasnt been replaced in over 14 years. I asked him if this was normal, and he told me he would be willing to bet that the majority of columbia has not been updated in over a decade. He also said that all a customer has to do is call and ask when the last time the wiring was replaced and if its been a few years to request to have them replace it because of the terrible pq.
another thing he told me was not to worry about time warner saying no. they wouldnt do that unless the wiring is pretty recent. Just tell them that you are willing to go else where if this is best pq you are going to get with them (he said thats what his neighbor did)

but anyway, back on point. After wednesday my pq looks great, i mean crystal clear. Another thing i have noticed is that my internet speed has also gone up. Before i was looking at 4.2-4.8 mbps. After wednesday i am between 6.2-6.7

hope that helps you guys. Very satisfied after the replaced wiring
post #9956 of 10078 Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Does Fox only broadcast its football games in Dolby 2.0? That's what my receiver reads. Isn't that unusual? Don't most stations broadcast 5.1?
post #9957 of 10078 Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Anyone else having problems with TWC reception now. It is almost unwatchable. Vey choopy.
post #9958 of 10078 Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Anyone else having problems with TWC reception now. It is almost unwatchable. Vey choopy.

Player2, yes, they were definitely having problems Saturday evening. I'm in the Lexington area. I tried calling into customer service to report the issue, but the estimated hold time was 20-25 minutes so I opted for the on-line chat where I got a response almost immediately. (Internet seemed to be working fine)

The recording that plays before you are put on hold said that WLTX was experiencing issues, but that it was on WLTX's end and their engineers were working to correct the problem. I'm not sure if WLTX was having specific problems earlier, but the issue was on all channels when I called in around 8, I believe. The problems cleared up shortly after that.
post #9959 of 10078 Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Hello. I'm in the Irmo area. U-Verse guy came by and has offered a very good deal as compared to TWC. I'm thinking about switching, but wonder if the U-V HD is any better than TWC's? Also, Internet speeds vs. Road Runner? I know this is a vague question, but thoughts or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #9960 of 10078 Old 12-14-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmoSC View Post

Hello. I'm in the Irmo area. U-Verse guy came by and has offered a very good deal as compared to TWC. I'm thinking about switching, but wonder if the U-V HD is any better than TWC's? Also, Internet speeds vs. Road Runner? I know this is a vague question, but thoughts or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am in the Irmo area as well and have Uverse U200 package plus Internet next to highest dwn load one.

I am very happy with the Internet. It faster than TWC and have had no problems.

Tv area is great except for high speed tv shows (mostly sports where the High Def may show some blockiness when, football players are running fast in a closeup. For the rest it is just about as good as time Warner but I have a 73 in screen and notice imperfections a little faster than on my 32 in set.

The boxes and Dvr are much better thaan TWC. They are easier to use and allow for tv recording to be set and changed easily even using the internet to do it.

I have had it for about 6 months and would not give it up.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page