Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 10075 Old 09-11-2003, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From Wednesday's State Newspaper Time Warner Advertisement: Coming October 1st , New South Carolina Channel. Ch.802. (not HD). The 3100hd box problems are the same as I was having back in early July, they have gotten worse. I called TWC and the csr wanted to flash my box. I explained I was calling on my cellular and the flashes really do not help with these problem. I asked if a newer box was available, she did not know. I then said can you have someone come switch it out. She said the earliest would be the 21st. I responded that are the boxes available over the counter like they are in Charlotte. She said, yes they are ,but only at the Greystone office. I have my 3100hd in my truck and I will try to change it out this afternoon when I get back to Columbia.

Ps: I know the ad said ch.802, that could be just a typo. I wonder if the Sister Hazel concert will be their first showing on the new SCVC. Yuk (-:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 10075 Old 09-11-2003, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I read somewhere about the "South Carolina" channel...I think in The State's Sunday TV Guide. Sounds pretty neat.

Mark me down as one experiencing the HD channel "glitch." I've found if I use my "favorites" or "channel up" to certain HD channels, I don't get a picture OR sound. If I switch up to the next channel (as you all have described) and then channel back down, pic and sound are restored. Weird stuff. I always thought it was just my set, but it sounds like it's the box instead.
post #993 of 10075 Old 09-11-2003, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SCETV has said that SDTV2 would be replaced by The South Carolina Channel so I would think the TWC channel number would remain 802 and the channel label changed. I agree the new channel sounds promising though in principle I still do care for their multicasting arrangement.

I called TWC this morning and the CSR checked on Channel 804 and was told that SCVC/804 was just a test channel setup for tests conducted yesterday. No further info on what it might have been or what they were testing for. I also reported the Channel 815 tuning glitch. I got the (normal) CSR response and I have a technician scheduled to come out and check my box/signals next week. I really suspect it is a software issue that can only be addressed by engineers and not by switching out the box. We will see.

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #994 of 10075 Old 09-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

WUNF-DT viewers in SC:

UNCTV is requesting comment on reception of DT-25 from Pisgah. Here is a message from Wayne Estabrooks:
"Next week WUNF will turn off DTV station for possibly 2 days
to change out the main transmit antenna. This will probably begin Tuesday
morning. It may only take one day but things don't always go as quickly and as easily as anticipated. Especially up on Mt. Pisgah.

Dielectric at great expense has provided me with a warranty replacement
for the antenna there. We had a problem with water getting in the antenna
shortly after we went on the air in March and after some negotiation and a
letter from me, they have agreed to replace the antenna. The problem was
that water was getting inside the antenna and detuning the antenna badly.

I need to let viewers know and hope to get feedback that the signal is as
good after the work is completed."

Wayne Estabrooks, Chief Engineer-Transmission
University of NC Public Television
P.O. Box 14900 10 Alexander Dr.
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

Please post your comments on the Western Carolinas thread.
jb

JB - Asheville

post #995 of 10075 Old 09-12-2003, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have made an appt for a TWC tech to come to checkout the channel changing problem with Ch 815. Scheduling problems however forced me to defer it to the 23rd. I still think the problem is with the software and not a physical problem with my signal. Suggest everybody who has been experiencing this problem to please call TWC/CSR and at least report it.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce
post #996 of 10075 Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

College Football
South Carolina @ Georgia (in HDTV)
3:30-7:00 p.m.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/cbs/sports/
post #997 of 10075 Old 09-12-2003, 01:23 PM

Here is a link to the official announcement for the USC vs GA on CBS. As previously posted, it will now be in HDTV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=301260
post #998 of 10075 Old 09-12-2003, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

New cable box available over the counter at TWC greystone location. All problems solved. Aspect ratio control and 480i, 720p, 480p and 1080i from component output.(switchable via remote and onscreen menu). Faster and more responsive. All audio via digital output. HD channels are viewable in HD and SD . Tunes all channels very fast . DVI , and a usb port are not active.

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD (DVI)
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/news/03Apr07-3.htm
post #999 of 10075 Old 09-14-2003, 11:16 AM

Bob and Kevin,
Thanks for for being real "bull dogs" on this...oops, poorly timed metaphor!!

Anyway, you guys are the best...I'll be heading down to the Greystone office this week.

Kevin, is the new remote any better? The one that came with the SA3100 feels like my garage door opener!

Brian
post #1000 of 10075 Old 09-14-2003, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't change it out. I do not use it. I use a Sony RM-AV3000 universal remote. I just took my 3100 in with no cords or remote and was given the SA3250HD.
post #1001 of 10075 Old 09-14-2003, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

When TWC decides to add INHD, it will likely be at an additonal fee.
Here is a link to TWC Austin.

http://www.timewarneraustin.com/news...leases1_55.asp

Note: they do not refer to the actual channel name correctly for most of the article. There is no channel called in demand HD, at least not yet. They should had refered to it as INHD ,throughout. Heck, at least they use their website. The twcsc site here is really stale.
post #1002 of 10075 Old 09-14-2003, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kevin: Thanks for finding searching out and reporting that info on Austin's INHD fees. Does not sound good; fee here; fee there... I'm already feeling all fee'd out.

Cain: I had the same pixelization/macroblocking issues you and Kevin reported over in the Programing forum regarding Saturday's and today's football games. I suspect WLTX-DT's multicasting is part of the problem and their bandwidth is just too low at times.

Bruce

Bruce
post #1003 of 10075 Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdenman
Kevin: Thanks for finding searching out and reporting that info on Austin's INHD fees. Does not sound good; fee here; fee there... I'm already feeling all fee'd out.

Cain: I had the same pixelization/macroblocking issues you and Kevin reported over in the Programing forum regarding Saturday's and today's football games. I suspect WLTX-DT's multicasting is part of the problem and their bandwidth is just too low at times.

Bruce

Last years games on CBS looked much better than this. Their only improvement seems to be less dropouts. MNF on Wolo-DT looks much cleaner than the CBS games. Bruce, are they broadcasting a SD subchannel like WIS? I have noticed that the engineer from Wltx no longer post in this forum. I have e-mailed him about their lack of DD. 5.1 passage. He responded by saying that they hoped to have it possibly by the end of the year.
post #1004 of 10075 Old 09-14-2003, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WLTX broadcasts just one SD service; the weather radar channel. No analog simulcast. WLTX's HD bitrate is reportedly 16mb/s while WIS's HD is 15mb/s. WIS's radar is definitely fuzzier than WLTX's but useable.
Bruce

Bruce
post #1005 of 10075 Old 09-15-2003, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

WLTX's SD broadcasting on the HD channel used to be watchable, but now has a lot of artifacts that make it distracting. Does their signal look the same ota versus cable?
post #1006 of 10075 Old 09-15-2003, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Kevin,
I nave never detected any difference between the OTA signal and the cable signal with my equipment.

Bruce

Bruce
post #1007 of 10075 Old 09-15-2003, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Having last checked this forum at around 5pm on Friday afternoon, I was SHOCKED to see the game in glorious HD on Saturday. It was great because I had friends over too...unfortunately the game itself didn't hold up on its end of the bargain...

Anyway, I did notice some pixelization as well...much more than on ABC's MNF broadcasts.
post #1008 of 10075 Old 09-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

FB Fans:
I saw no video defects in the OTA WSPA HD coverage of Saturday's game...other than the occasional switch to a SD camera.
jb

JB - Asheville

post #1009 of 10075 Old 09-15-2003, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
WOLO's HD is 14 mb..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #1010 of 10075 Old 09-15-2003, 11:32 AM

I picked up the new box on Sat. morning after I saw Kevin's post. I kepted the 3100HD in case I had a problem because I didn't want to miss the Carolina game in HD.

Anyway, after getting the box, I downloaded the user manual from SA and it appears the DVI output is not enabled. This a bummer. I was hoping to look at that since others with my TV (Sammy DLP) have reported big improvements using the DVI input. Therefore, I didn't hook the box up yet. I plan to tonight.

Kevin, thanks for the info!
post #1011 of 10075 Old 09-15-2003, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gamecock
I picked up the new box on Sat. morning after I saw Kevin's post. I kepted the 3100HD in case I had a problem because I didn't want to miss the Carolina game in HD.

Anyway, after getting the box, I downloaded the user manual from SA and it appears the DVI output is not enabled. This a bummer. I was hoping to look at that since others with my TV (Sammy DLP) have reported big improvements using the DVI input. Therefore, I didn't hook the box up yet. I plan to tonight.

Kevin, thanks for the info!

You can change the 3250 to output 720p via the analog component. Turn off the box and hold down the guide and info on the unit at the same time. You then follow the on screen directions for output. Once you got them set you can turn on the unit and use the settings button from the remote and scroll down and switch output via remote and on screen setup.
post #1012 of 10075 Old 09-16-2003, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

The USC vs Tennessee game has been scheduled for 7:45 on Espn-HD.
post #1013 of 10075 Old 09-16-2003, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the 3250HD box yesterday. I think I might have got the last one (cause' they hunted for one for a very long time).

Is it me or do these boxes output better video after a period of burn-in ?

I ask because the HD video looked definitely fuzzy when I first turned it on ... after about 4 hours the picture came close to what the 3100HD output (I know its not the TV thats responsible ... because it was left on way before I swapped boxes).

Anyways ... the best thing about the 3250 is that you can flip it to 480i and see non-HD video via component outs ... and I have never seen another SA box do as good a job with this. I have a 56" RPTV ... and via the 3100 the video was very inferior.

The video is not as good if you output regular shows in 1080i. I recommend 480i output from the box for regular digital shows.

I have kept the 3100 just in case.

MAX
post #1014 of 10075 Old 09-16-2003, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Yall-
WOLO-DT is sick, and we're working on it..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #1015 of 10075 Old 09-16-2003, 05:56 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

I wonder what's the deal with 35-2 (PBS Kids). Now it's showing some kind of an ad for the upcoming SC Channel. In the guide it was still showing "Mister Roger's neighborhood".
Needless to say, my kid was not happy

Kirill
post #1016 of 10075 Old 09-17-2003, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Kir,
I feel your pain.. Fortunately, my kid has finally outgrown the endless
repeats of PBS Kids! YEA! Of course, now my 6000 is permanently parked on Nick instead............

Bob

post #1017 of 10075 Old 09-17-2003, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WBHQ-DT will be testing the DT channel this week; no date yet for full time operation. The DT broadcast will be from WQHB's tower here in Sumter (east side of town); Channel 39, at 250watts so OTA is pretty much limted to Sumter. They are looking to buy higher power equipment eventually. Note that their analog transmissions on Ch 63 are from their tower in Richland Co.

WBHQ-DT's signal will be connected to TWCSC via fiber optic eventually which should mean Cola area subscribers should someday be able to get it. Viewers should note that their analog signal on TWC is now much improved as they just completed a fiber optic connection for that signal.

The station has changed their call letters (from WQHB to WBHQ) and will soon be flipflopping affiliate status: they are becoming WB first and UPN second (opposite of what they are now). This means that UPN programming will come after WB's (generally at 10pm). No HD at the beginning but eventually.... (6 months out or more).

Bruce

update: They had their DT signal going; remaps to 63-1. PQ was poor.... appears to be a noisy NTSC signal retransmitted and zoomed to fill the screen. Signal appeared solid; the signal went off the air at 3pm.

addendum: signal came back on a few minutes later; seemed a tad better (fair). Still some noise and still zoomed/stretched.

Bruce
post #1018 of 10075 Old 09-18-2003, 08:17 AM

On October 1st ETV will debut the SC Channel on channel 35-2. Until that time a bulletin board will operate on that channel while the technical infrastructure is being built and tested. For more information on the SC Channel you can visit http://www.scetv.org/dtv/CarolinaChannel.htm

Kir,

Sorry about the household problems this caused. Like bdfox18doe, mine have moved over to Nick also.

-Shaun

Shaun Bennett
Engineering, SCETV
post #1019 of 10075 Old 09-19-2003, 12:22 PM

Just a little information from TWC. Got an e-mail from Diana Smith. Director of Marketing for TWC. WIS is close to being resolved for being added to lineup. ESPN HD negotiations are in progress, cannot provide a launch date but can tell you that we want to provide this channel to our HD customers as soon as possible. Fox Sports HD by this winter. We will provide these games free to our HD customers. IN HD is a 2 channel service that will be added this fall. HD net and HD Movie Net are in negotiations at this time. ESPN HD, HD Net, IN HD will probably be put in a teir that will require a subscription, but I do have any additional information on that at this point. Looks like TWC is working on getting more HD channels as soon as possible. I thought that some would like to read what is going at TWC. Maybe one day everything will be in HD. Later Mitch
post #1020 of 10075 Old 09-19-2003, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

A note to all of our WOLO-DT HD fans:

Due to the failure of the Telstar4 satellite today, ABC has not yet announced the location (if any) of Sunday's HD feed. Therefore, dependent
on where they put the feed, we may or may not be able to provide HD
for Sunday night. Bear in mind their (and our) priority is that the analog
network, which pays the bills, is operational.
I'll keep you posted..

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page