Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 10080 Old 10-05-2003, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think WIS has ever ran a CH# 10 PSIP or guide data. If I am wrong I am sure I will be quickly corrected about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 06:42 AM

I know they never remapped their station. However, as I said in the previous post, PSIP does a lot more than just remapping your channel number. A minimum amount of PSIP is required by the FCC. My question is, if you enable PSIP on your receiver, does your receiver still decode WIS?
Dan
Director of Technology/Operations
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #1083 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was obviously in error thinking there was basic PSIP in place but thinking back now it makes sense. And my receiver has no on/off option regarding PSIP. Also, I too have never seen guide data or channel remapping from WIS.

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #1084 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Having just seen Dan's second post on subject I guess I don't understand enough about PSIP to hazard any guess. As I said, my receiver has no PSIP option so I either get it or I don't. Dan, do most receivers now have selectable PSIP as an option?

Bruce

Bruce
post #1085 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Kir
AVS Special Member

One of the WIS engineers posted in the forum some time ago that they do not provide PSIP data yet.

Kirill
post #1086 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 09:17 AM

Some receivers list it as program guides(RCA DTC100 for example). By enabling the program guides option, you enable the PSIP. If you disable program guides, PSIP is ignored. Just an FYI about PSIP. WIS odes send PSIP. Without it your receiver would not be able to identify the Audio or Video stream. It send the address of the streams to your receiver for decoding. If you had a Hipix DTV 200 card, you would be able to see the pid information(as it is called) on your set. The part of PSIP WIS doe not send is the program guide and channel remapping.
Dan
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #1087 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Dan!

Bruce
post #1088 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
PSIP:

PIA System & Information Program...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #1089 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dan, while we have you on the line so to speak, any update on WLTX and DD5.1? Any idea when when you all might have the required hardware? Bruce

Bruce
post #1090 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 10:11 AM

Strictly up to CBS. They are having some problems and are not rolling out the new receivers to enable us to do 5.1.
Dan
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #1091 of 10080 Old 10-06-2003, 06:48 PM

I installed the Samsung T160 on Saturday, swapping out the old RCA D* Receiver. On the D* side, to my amazement I was able to get the NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels using only my old 18" round dish (channels 70 & 71 - one CBS HD broadcast of Giants & Dolphins and the other Fox Widescreen broadcast of the Packers/Seattle game). The other ST games were almost unbearable to watch...D* needs to do something about this, especially with the big price increase for 2003.

On the Antenna side, I am very pleased with the job the Silver Sensor (SS) did in pulling in all the local channels...its sitting on top of my RPTV and with a single 45 degree shift, I can pull in all the local DTV stations, even WOLO (SS is a UHF only V-shaped antenna for those that are unfamiliar with it) . Signals are strong, mostly in the 90+ range with little adjustment, and some are at 100 if I play with it a little. But there is no need to tweak the orientation of this unit since the digital signal is very stable. The other thing I noticed is that some of the stations seem to do better 'hitting' the SS from the side rather than having it pointed in their general direction. I did not need a VHF antenna to get WOLO, so that has been a pleasant surprise.

Tonight, I will be watching the Red Sox and Athletics on Fox Digital format (hopefully in Widescreen), something I cannot do today with TWC. I also now have NBC in Digitial and I'll be able to check out Leno tonight...something I can not do with TWC. Okay, okay enough about TWC.

The Samsung T160 is a pretty slick unit, but it does have some annoying quirks. When you are scanning for local DTV OTA stations so you can incorporate them into the Guide, it does not have a way of saving what you picked up from each scan. When you shift the Antenna to pick up what was missed on the first pass, it overlays the original scan. Does not appear to be any way to manually add channels to the Guide. Today, I tried going through the 'Add local networks' process and it seemed to pick up everything I needed plus a few more that I don't. Anyone know of a way to get the channels entered without going through the 'destructive scan' process?

The Triple LNB arrives on Saturday morning, just in time for more Digital sports on ESPN and Fox...something I can't do today with you know who!

Brian
post #1092 of 10080 Old 10-07-2003, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BDavis

When you are scanning for local DTV OTA stations so you can incorporate them into the Guide, it does not have a way of saving what you picked up from each scan.

My Sony HD100 does the exact same thing. I can get Fox and WIS saved but if I move my antenna and re-scan it loses them. Luckily, everything else is on TWC but I couldn't never go cable-less with the current configuration.
post #1093 of 10080 Old 10-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BDavis

The Samsung T160 is a pretty slick unit, but it does have some annoying quirks. When you are scanning for local DTV OTA stations so you can incorporate them into the Guide, it does not have a way of saving what you picked up from each scan.

From what I heard, there is. Try selecting "No dish" first. Then the receiver would let you enter the channel manually (i.e. 41-1) without defaulting to the "Satellite". Do it for every channel you want added. Then select the proper dish type. TS-160 would reboot and keep all the channels you added.

Disclamer: I have not tried it myself - all my channels come up during the scan.

Kirill
post #1094 of 10080 Old 10-08-2003, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

We have the 150,160 and 165..all have some quirks..I have spoken with their product manager, who was not very responsive to the issues, IMHO.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #1095 of 10080 Old 10-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Is SCETV having audio and video dropouts on 35-3 for anyone else?

I have either 69% signal strength with no amp and 100% with an amp, but
it drops out in either case.

The other stations in Columbia aren't dropping out at all with or without
the amp. That's why I'm asking about PBS.

I have the Samsung 160 also and I don't know of a way to remember
previously detected channels AND do a re-scan. Scanning seems to blow
away the list completely and start over. But, if you are picking them all up,
no matter the signal strength, then you shouldn't have to re-scan, you
should be able to just move the antenna around to increase strength for
this channel or that channel... it shouldn't lose the others.

If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...
post #1096 of 10080 Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by uscboy

At 12:05pm here, SCETV was coming in fine. I turned on my Mits and Samsung receiver about 30 minutes ago and the PBS loop on 35-3 is not experiencing dropouts. And my signal strength is it's usual low level. Since you reported the problem a couple of hours ago things may have changed. Are these dropouts something new? Did you check the channel last night by chance? How frequent are they happening?

If the problem continues you may want to contact Shaun Bennett at SCETV (note: he often visits here and follows these threads). Also, if you have tweaked your antenna more towards the other towers you might try adjusting it more towards WRLK to see if that helps. It could be your problems are caused by reflected signals (multipath) and reorienting (or resiting) your antenna slightly might help.

Bruce

Bruce
post #1097 of 10080 Old 10-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by uscboy

Yes, since about 2 months ago. I have a 100% signal strength and audio drops out about once in 2-3 minutes and video gets macroblocks on about 1/4 of the screen. Signal strength does not fluctuate during the dropouts.
I reported it to PBS, but so far it went nowhere.

Kirill
post #1098 of 10080 Old 10-10-2003, 02:51 PM

I saw your comments about the PBS signal. Were the problems just with the HD feed or was it HD and SD-1 and SD_2? You may have read the following explanation on how our DTV signal resources are divided up:

"We are encoding the SC Channel at the relatively low bit rate of 3 megabits per second in order to allow fitting it, the normal ETV service (also at 3 megabits) and an HD program (at 13 megabits) into the 19 megabits per second available in the DTV signal.

3 Mb is pretty much an absolute minimum bandwidth to encode with. On a normal analog TV set, it doesn't look too bad since the compression artifacts are masked by the set's small screen and inability to show fine detail. However, a high quality monitor, such as the plasma HD units, show every compression defect and also generally have a larger screen so the defects are very noticeable. The letter-boxing is a function of how the monitor is set up...a menu selection would fix that.

There is a one-for-one trade off of the number of simultaneous services broadcast and the video quality. In order to get more services into the mix, which is limited to 19 Mb total, you have to encode each at a lower bit rate, which means less quality. Currently, we are broadcasting three services pretty much because we can. But it goes deeper and needs to be a strategic decision by management.

We have an obligation under the FCC rules to simulcast our analog programming within the digital multiplex, and we do that with our "-1" service (i.e channel 35-1 in Columbia, 29-1 in Greenville). We have need for an additional 24 hour SD service for the SC Channel, thus our "-2" service. Since each is encoded at 3 Mb, that only leaves 13 Mb for the HD service, "-3", which is pretty much the minimum for HD encoding, and it shows when compared to the direct PBS satellite feed encoded at 18 Mb's."
by Hap Griffin VP Engineering ETV

That doesn't cure the problem but may shed some light on what is going on with the signal.
John

John Crockett
Manager Transmitter Operations
SCETV
O 803 737 3471
post #1099 of 10080 Old 10-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

I receive the SCETV DT signal from Channel 9 in Greenville and Hap Griffin and Shaun Bennet have been very patient in keeping us posted regarding your 29-3 HD operation. When 9 first went on the air, I received an excellent, stable signal using a simple dipole cut to channel. A few months later, the signal became unstable and because of my elevation I was suspicious of Charlotte's Channel 9 creating co-channel interference. I switched to a 5 element Ch 9 Yagi. The problem is increasing.
I recognize motion artifacts (pixelization) from the limited bandwidth, and all fast pans, running water and waving grass, dissolves and fades to black pixelize. However the recent excessive pixelizations are not motion related. Today has been exceptionally bad. In that you are getting expressions of concern from your area, I begin to relate the problems to the origination point.
Jerry Birdwell, Asheville NC

JB - Asheville

post #1100 of 10080 Old 10-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Kir
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by John Crockett
I saw your comments about the PBS signal. Were the problems just with the HD feed or was it HD and SD-1 and SD_2?...
That doesn't cure the problem but may shed some light on what is going on with the signal.
John

Hi John,
The problems are with all PBS subchannels. And it all began not too long ago. Also, I do not believe the limited bandwidth would explain periodical audio dropouts.
At least 6 more people in the forum started experiencing these problems too.

Thank you,
Kirill
post #1101 of 10080 Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

John, I have monitored all 29-x broadcasts and agree it is not confined to the HD channel. I, too, have brief audio dropouts.
This seems the same as being reported for 35-x.

JB - Asheville

post #1102 of 10080 Old 10-11-2003, 01:20 AM

I have seen this problem myself and I have 94 (DTC 100) signal strength. They need to watch their output a little more carefully. The stations are way to quick to blame it on multipathing, or low bandwidth. I think we have enough people saying PBS is not working right to warrant a look at the equipment. Something is wrong!! PLEASE, FIX IT!!!
post #1103 of 10080 Old 10-11-2003, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you sure you're not watching via DirecTv?...

Bob

post #1104 of 10080 Old 10-11-2003, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Bob, I do not receive PBS programming from DirecTV...only OTA.

JB - Asheville

post #1105 of 10080 Old 10-11-2003, 02:23 PM

Glad your finding this funny Bob. I am about to freak out!! I guess I will just Chill, and stop payment on my check. Just kidding, I haven't sent one.
post #1106 of 10080 Old 10-12-2003, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TechMan
Just kidding, I haven't sent one.

Uhh..maybe that's why, It's a new fund raising tactic?

Bob

post #1107 of 10080 Old 10-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone having DD audio dropouts on the NFL game on WLTX (19-1) today?

If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...
post #1108 of 10080 Old 10-12-2003, 05:05 PM

Having ths same problem here...just switched over to catch how the Bronco's were doing and the audio is breaking up consistently. It carries over to the commercials also, so don't think its the feed from the game. Sounds like it has been a game-long problem since you're post was shorthly after 5:00PM.

I'm using a Samsung T160 with a 94% signal on WLTX 19-1 OTA, direct to the RPTV for the sound. All other NFL games, Cubs-Marlins, etc come across fine today...looks like its WLTX from what I can tell.

One more additional piece of information...checked the same game on DirecTV Channel 70...no sound problems.

Brian
post #1109 of 10080 Old 10-13-2003, 07:09 AM

DD audio dropouts on the NFL game on WLTX (19-1) today?

I noticed the audio problems during the Broncos Steelers game yesterday as well. It was the feed from CBS. If you noticed, the audio only broke up when the crowd noise was loud. In digital, if your levels are too high, the audio does not distort like it did with analog. It will do digital distortion at first(sounds very different from analog distortion) then it will go away totally. Think about how the audio is being converted to digital. If the sample gets too high, all of the digital words will be nothing but 1s. If there is no change from 0 to 1 there is no audio. It is essentially making DC. We had this problem with the prime time audio the other day as well. I will talk to cbs and see what can be done. Thanks for your patience. By the way.... If you see grey bars and a 4x3 picture on the screen, then you are watching an upconversion of WLTX analog. When you are trying to figure out if the problem is local or national, note this difference. Yesterday, the audio was fine when we went to a local commercial. This tells me my encoder and transmitter are fine. The problem is either national or with my HD receiver.

Dan
Director Technology/Operations
WLTX

Dan Stalnaker
Chief Engineer
KARK-TV/DT
post #1110 of 10080 Old 10-13-2003, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a three day holiday from local HDTV (out of town). Returned in last night about 8pm and can report the following:

CBS: Digital audio was problematic (garbled) everytime I did a channel check between about 8:30 and 10pm. Dialog was mostly understandable but the problem was very annoying. Given this was after the game it may have been something different than Dan previously addressed here.
PBS: HD audio seemed fine when I did several channel checks (and my signal was normal at two bars). Carolina Channel had a vew instances of changing volume levels during remote live feed from the Fair.
ABC: seemed okay during a very brief check during 10-8.
NBC: had some video dropouts during Lyons Den.

Bruce

Bruce
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page