Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 9 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2003, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gene,

HD via TWC is here in Sumter.... we have had it almost two years now. Channels are HBO HD and Showtime HD(regular sub required, East and West coast feeds); WLTX-DT/CBSHD (mostly primetime programs along with a radar channel), and WRLK-DT/PBS (24/7 PBS demo loop interspersed with occasional HD programming. We hope to get WOLO-DT/ABCHD before the Superbowl but it is not yet confirmed.).

-Whats the secret handshake to get them to give me some local HD content
....call TWC (469-2200) and talk to the Customer Service dept (they are actually in Cola). Tell them them you want the digital service and the HD channels and a SA3100HD cable box. It might take a while to get the box. If that fails, you could go to the local office and tell them what you want. They probably will want to schedule a tech to visit the first time to make sure your digital cable signal to your apt is good. Highly recommended.

-What channels are they on?
...800 is PBS HD, 801 and 802 are their SD channels
...810 is CBS HD, 811 is their radar SD channel
...901, 902 is HBO
...921 and 922 is SHO
If you have a standard digital box; you can see them in the guide but you cannot assess the HD ones (but you can the SD ones).

-What converter box do I need? Right now I just have analog cable/no box.
... The box they are currently using is the SA3100HD.

-How does the converter work with Tivo? I know Tivo can't do HD. I'm more concerned about how well the converter box responds to Tivo's IR commands. I have a series 1, stand alone, upgraded to 269hrs, in case that helps.
... I have no idea. Suggest you visit the Tivo forums here. FYI, TWC here has the Explorer 8000 cable box which is also a basic DVR (but it is SD only).

Send me a PM with your email and I will get back to you with my phone number. If you continue to have problems I may be able to help... When you order/receive it, I suggest you sub to HBO and SHO initially (ask for free month; never know). Now to your questions

Bruce

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2003, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tivo works ok with the ir blasters.I used to use it to control my TWC 3100hd box.I recently have switched to rf analog cable input since most of the digital tier is movie channels and I use the On-Demand to time shift movies.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Wolo-DT stayed SD for a entire ABC-HD broadcast of Any Giving Sunday.I wonder if it was equipment problems or they just forgot to flip the switch.I also experienced complete signal loss of WLTX-DT at times,and numerous dropouts of video.I always thought that TWC was my source for the dropouts but since I am using a stb,I can switch back and forth and have to say it is source problem not a cable problem.I saw what I thought was a new commercial promoting Wltx-DT via TWC,and kind of slamming Wolo for moving to Charlotte because of cost of there digital broadcast.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am surprised to find this thread. Anyway, great work folks.

My problem, I just got the 3100HD a couple of weeks ago. Everything is fine except CBS HDTV. THe PBS channels and the so called HBO HDTV channels work fine. However, the CBS is just blank when it is supposed to be on air. The info/menu windows from the cable box show up, but no channel content.

Anybody seen this problem? I am awaiting a new cable box, but I thought I would share this here.

Also, I am getting lots of "noise" on my digital channels now so if everybody has found a remedy for that please pass it along.''

Thanks in advance!
Doug
Old 01-07-2003, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Doug,Cbs is only on 1-2pm,and 7-11:30pm.TWC digital tier is first rate,and HBO-HD and SHO-HD are outstanding.If you need to check your signal using the 3100HD box, pm me and I will walk you through it.Remember only ch. 800 of PBS is HD.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:58 AM

Yes, I know CBS-HD is only on air some of the time, but during those times I can't get a picture. The other HDTV channels work fine.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2003, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night watching CBS-HD we also noted the signal problems using the Zenith 420 OTA receiver. Frustrated after a bit I switched over to TWC figuring it was my reception that was the problem. Nope, discovered it was on TWC too so it had to either WLTX or their feed. I have to do a manual cable swap between the Zenith and SA boxes at this time so I never did go back to the Zenith last night to check out ABC.

Gene: Presume you were tuned in last night for your first night of HD via TWC. Yikes, what you experienced was not typical HD on TWC. At least by the time CSI Miami came on the problem was greatly minimized if not totally fixed.

Doug: I have never lost just one HD channel like CBS; perhaps it is your box or your signal. Can you get Ch 811 the WLTX Weather channel? (It is on when the HD channel is on). Also, I do not understand the "noise" your reporting. Can you explain further? Image problems, audio?

DVR news: the Exlorer 8000 received a firmware update early this morning (caught it doing the boot up dance around 5:30am) so some things may have changed (for good or bad).

Bruce

Bruce
Old 01-07-2003, 09:29 AM

I am not sure I tried channel 811, but I will tonight.

The noise I am referring to is screen flicking, and blotches of white and/or green apairing on the screen. These happen for not even a second at random times of various digital channels.

Also, what is an Explorer 8000? I just got a 3100HD.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Screen blanking, line breakups and large blocking can happen to us all sporadically. But if it is regular then the signal to the box may be the problem. Last night it happened to us all bigtime with CBS but that was unusual. If you are using a splitter between the wall and the box remove it and try again. (1gHz models can be used if the signal is good enough but often that requires an amp in the system). If removing any splitters don't help I would advise you to call TWC and get them to send a tech out.

The Explorer 8000 is a cable box with a built in digital video recorder (DVR). It is not HD so it cannot replace the SA3100HD (a HD one is in the works reportedly). I mention it here as several of us that post in this thread have one and there is no Explorer 8000 forum here at AVS. There is a tutorial on the DVR here.

Bruce
Old 01-07-2003, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Originally posted by kevinivey
Wolo-DT stayed SD for a entire ABC-HD broadcast of Any Giving Sunday.I wonder if it was equipment problems or they just forgot to flip the switch.

No switch to flip,it's automated..however, the HD programs must be programmed in, which was MY BAD!. Didn't check the schedule..
expected standard monday fare..no NFL fan here..
As pennance, I will force myself to watch SD only for a week..Ok?
besides..Why is a movie named "Any given Sunday" being aired on a monday?

I promise we'll do more better! Especially on the 26th!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Old 01-07-2003, 05:21 PM

Well after a 2 and a half battle with cables and a 3100HD which TWC didn't show in their inventory on the computer I got everything all hooked up, well 90% of it atleast.

Bruce, thanks for all your help. And I'm glad to hear that my first night experience of watching HD programming was not par for the course. At first I was freaked, but when I switched to the PBS channel and it was working I figured it was something on the senders end. The picture looked fantastic! Now I can finally watch network programming on my 16:9 set without worrying about burn-in or using a stretch mode. Now I just have to wait for ABC and NBC to start piping their programs thru TWC, (I know NBC isn't on the air yet), as I watch those 2 networks more often than CBS.
Hopefully TWC will carry ABC for the Superbowl.

Some other info to pass along..
I ended up using a 4 way splitter/powered amp from Radio Shack and it works just fine. The box says it works with cable modems, but the clerk didn't know if it would with digital cable. I took a shot and it works.

Gene
Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM

Bob,
Any new news on the TW/WOLO-HD? I still show channel 820 as a "TEST CHANNEL" and was wondering if that is it. Do you know any possible way of becoming part of their test? I was one of the first people to receive their HDTV service and didn't know if there was anyone in particular I could contact about this. I have been promised by TW that they will have it online for the Super Bowl, but after seeing that Bruce went out and bought an OTA Decoder, I am starting to become worried. I appreciate your keeping us informed on the situation.
Happy New Year!

Go Gamecocks!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:49 PM

Guys, I just read this thread. We need to bombard TWC with calls about Discovery-HD, HD-Net and ESPN-HD. ESPN-HD is rolling out at the opening game of MLB. I just hope that negotiations don't take an eternity. Here's the link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=209972

Go Gamecocks!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jay,
My OTA receiver purchase was more for so could play with OTA and see for myself how it worked and looked. Having waited for well over a year has made me antsy and the Zenith seemed prime for checking out. So my purchase was not related to a concern of not being able to see the SB in HD from TWC. I do know it is of keen interest to others hower. The fact remains that I may return the box in the next week or so; it has both pros and cons which I am still weighing. And yes I will watch the SB game regardless but HD would make it nicer!

So I wait too to see if WOLO and TWC get it together real soon. BTW, we here in Sumter don't see the test channel 820 on our channel guide. However it was that way too before they got CBS on the system so hopefully it is a good sign. Hurry up and wait time

Regarding the new channels; I would agree we should all take the time to let our desires be known to TWC.

Bruce

Bruce
Old 01-08-2003, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

TWC must be one of the only websites that don't list any e-mail addresses.Call TWC about adding HD channels?Customer service,I rather be poked in the eye than try to explain what HD is.I will bet ESPN-HD will be on March 30,because TWC controls all the commercials.As for HDNET,do they have commercials?I am not willing to pay anymore for service.I am also am using the Zenith stb in case Wolo and TWC drop the(foot) ball.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by bdenman
[b]Jay,
The fact remains that I may return the box in the next week or so; it has both pros and cons which I am still weighing.

Just don't do it Bruce,30 days!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I may have found a reason to keep the Zenith 420 and another reason not to keep. But such a discussion gets into Hardware forum terrority but suffice it to say the Zenith allows you to format the HD upconvert 4:3 signal to 480p and then stretch it. So you don't have to have black side bars while viewing 4:3 over a DTV input. The SA3100HD can't do that.

The con: I checked out AVS's 23 page thread titled "Zenith DTV1080 Software Upgrade" in detail and quite frankly Zenith's response to the problem they caused makes me think twice about wanting to own a Zenith product. I also really dislike their almost total lack of support of PSIP information. So it to keep or not is still up in the air....

Bruce

Bruce
Old 01-08-2003, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand that TWC is awaiting equipment delivery to add WOLO-DT

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Update WACH-DT is on. ch 48.2
Old 01-09-2003, 11:07 AM

I just saw WOLO-DT on channel 815 on TWC. Woo-Hoo!!!!

Right now it was a soap opera. But nothing shows up in the guide data.

Gene
Old 01-09-2003, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

We pass full EPG, but TWC does not read nor use it. They have their own
guide data they substitute.

Bob

Old 01-09-2003, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

When will WIS-DT be on TWC?

Hey,its not to early to start it!
Old 01-09-2003, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I doubt anyone knows or is willing to say at this point. Their not even on the air. Remember it took WRLK-DT and WOLO-DT both 3 months each to get on cable after they were on the air and WIS might follow that timeline too.

FWIW, I see that WOLO-DT's Radar channel is not on TWC's cable guide here in Sumter.... any different in Columbia? (yes, they can vary).

Bruce

Bruce
Old 01-09-2003, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Bruce,
No Wolo radar on TWC here in Columbia.Also no Wltx-dt ota or on TWC so far tonight.No CSI in HD!Seems like this has been a rather bad week for WLTX.I hope they get it fixed for the NFL on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi gang,

Tell me about the HD STB from TWC ??

What does it cost?? What sort of outputs does it have ???

Thanks!!

-- Cain
Old 01-09-2003, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cain,

Digital cable will cost you about $65/mo I think and that includes one HD cable box. My bill runs about $121 with tax but includes $45 for Road Runner service and an extra $14 or so for a second cable box (Explorer 8000). Due to their pricing it is not really a supplemental service to have along with dbs.

TWC currently uses the SA3100HD cable box which has YPrPb component out, digital coax out (no Toslink), and analog audio. It also has S-Video out, and a coax cable out (for vcr), a composite video out, I think there is a USB port on the front and one access card slot (not implemented).

This box has no aspect ratio switch for those who have a 4:3 display. So 4:3 owners may have vertical stretch problems if their display cannot do the squeeze. They will also have four bars around when watching 4:3 upconverts via the component input. The next iteration box (the 4250HD I believe it is called) should have selectable aspect ratios. If one needs RGBHV, Scientific Atlanta makes a HDTV converter but I don't know if local TWC has them for sale.

The box itself rents for about $10/mo including remote and cable guide (as if you had a choice). This is the same price as a standard box. HBO and SHO cost about $15 I think and the HD comes along for the ride (I no longer sub to either). The DVR box costs $5/mo more (but it is not HD either).

Personally I like the interactive menu system on TWC and I miss its features when I am on the Zenith DTV420 box which gives only channel number and program rating (G, PG13, etc). But if viewing 4:3 programming on a HD channel on a 16x9 display one has the black sidebars (yuck).

HD Programming wise you now get:
PBS: WRLK-DT (1 HD, 2SD)
CBS: WLTX (1 HD, 1SD with Weather Radar),
ABC: WOLO (1 HD)
HBO: 2 (east and west coast feeds; if subscribed)
SHO: 2 (east and west coast feeds; if subscribed)

Other stuff: bunches of normal stuff on analog and digital tier plus on the digital tier a number of free VOD channels (all 4:3 SD only) and a few Subscription VOD (also 4:3 SD.... HBO, SHO, Movie Channel).

Hope this helps....

Bruce

Bruce
Old 01-09-2003, 09:31 PM

First time on this forum...it's great! Just got TWC HD on Wednesday and I'm now watching the WOLO-DT 11:00PM news on TWC 815 (yeah!) and it is a huge improvement over the lousy signal I'm getting on the analog version...CBS and ABC in HD...a football lover's dream! Fox, Wake Up...Widescreen is not HD!! But I digress...need some help from this forum's members.

Background:
I've been a D* customer for at least five years but recently began looking at expanding my basic TWC service to take advantage of the local HD broadcasts and avoid the expense of a D* Receiver. When I had D* originally installed in my current home in '99, the installer put in a multiswitch to 'piggyback' the dual LNB onto the existing cable system. They co-existed gracefully until I had TMC upgrade me this week to the Digital Tier and the SA3100 HD receiver.

Issue:
After TWC installed the SA3100 on Monday, I could not get any HD channels or anything above channel 199. Also, the Analog channels were snowy (not as bad as tonight). I called TWC Tuesday and they sent over a tech to check out the lines and signals. He determined (correctly I think) that the multiswitch did not have the capacity to service the new HD signals along with D*...he disconnected my satellite dish (aaargghhh) and everything was right with the world (although I'm not happy with the TWC analog service...getting ghosts on local network broadcasts which was why I went to D* in the first place!).

Solutions??
Can I get an updated version of the multi-switch that has the capacity to service both TWC HD and D* HD (I may be using the wrong terminology...the multi-switch takes the LNB1 & 2 signals and multiplexes them onto the existing cable system). I'll worry about upgrading the dish for HD receptation later...for now, I just want to get my basic satellite system back! Also, I would like to avoid running a new dedicated cable to the satellite receiver (pros and cons are welcome). BTW, the TWC tech very politely turned down my request to have him handle that chore...said something to the effect that TWC was not interested in supporting D*!!

Second question...since neither D* and TWC are likely to be interested in integrating both systems, where do I go to get this all hooked up? Live in NE Columbia near I-20/Clemson.

Thanks to all for your contributions to this forum...I no longer feel alone!

Brian
Old 01-10-2003, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"Hope this helps....
Bruce"

Wow, thanks Bruce yes it does. I have been a TWC customer for a long while, and I also have RR. I currently have the old STB for digital cable.

Can I just drop by their offices and swap this one out for a HD box I wonder?? I'll try to give them a call, but usually the person who answers the phone was fired from Hardees last week for being too dumb.

Bruce you need to get in touch with me to check out my basement HT the next time you are in the Columbia area.

-- Cain
Old 01-10-2003, 06:37 AM

Yahoo!! I just saw that WOLO-HD is on! I am so happy about being able to watch the Super Bowl in HD.

Bruce, let me know how that box is working out for you.

Thanks!

Go Gamecocks!
Old 01-10-2003, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cain,
Yes. But still you should call CSR first and make sure they have one in stock first. The box should work fine; plug it in; call and get it hit (usually required) and your good to go. Some folks have discovered they still need a tech visit to check and tweak the signal to the house as the HD does requires a better signal. As long as you don't have too many outlets you have a good chance of it working fine. Just avoid splitters. (1gHz models can be used if the signal is high enough to begin with). TW can always come out later.

Bruce
ps: sending PM regarding visit

Bruce