Is Sound Damping Part of a Basement Sufficient? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I've done a lot of research regarding what needs to be done to reduce sound leakage for a dedicated home theater, but I haven't run across a lot on my main question. If there is something out there, please direct me so I can look at the information. I understand the basic concepts of decoupling, absorption, adding mass, and damping. My question is, if I just do these in part of a basement, is it even worthwhile? Are there too many flanking paths that would defeat the purpose?

My main goals are to damp sound going into the adjacent bedroom and into the main floor. I have attached the basement layout. The south wall is the one with the couch against it. The room in the lower right hand corner of the diagram is a utility room.

Here is what I am planning to do with the main area of the basement:

1. Glue 2 inches of XPS insulation to the south and east walls.
2. Put in steel studs on the south and east walls, leaving the stud cavities open.
3. Put up resilient clips and hat channel on the ceiling (will think about doing GG and second layer of drywall depending on expense, but headroom is also a concern).
4. Do resilient clips and hat channel along with double layer of drywall and GG on the bedroom wall adjacent to the main area.
5. Put up canister lights with backer boxes.
6. Put up R-13 or R-19 insulation in the ceiling joists and R-13 insulation in the bedroom wall adjacent to the main area.
7. Put in a recessed screen for use with a projector (any suggestions on how to damp sound with one of these?). I plan to put the screen on the east end of the room.
8. Install a solid-core interior door for the bedroom.

I would theoretically like to split the main room in half and install a wall to make a home theater, but my wife is extremely hesitant to do this because if takes away the openness of the basement.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.