Administrator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Test attachments

Testing an attachment...
Attached Images
File Type: png apple-touch-icon.v3104894033.png (1.9 KB, 30 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Okay, lets's try uploading a picture or two.

Step one, click on the paperclip. A 'Manage Attachments' dialog pops up with a bunch of 'Choose File' buttons. I'm seeing a bunch of incredibly tiny max filesizes, though... let's see how that goes. Also, does drag n' drop work? Nope. Need to click on the button.

I choose a 2.6MB jpeg of 3264 x 2448, both of which are out of bounds of the max filesize. The upload succeeds and it says my current attachment is 'IMG_5422.jpg (226.3KB)'

I click on 'Close this window' in the upload window. I also see my file in the 'Attach Files' section under this editing window.

Is there a way to preview this edit? Maybe clicking 'GO ADVANCED'. Yep, using the Advanced dialog does give me the opportunity to preview it. I see my picture as an teeny-tiny attachment thumbnail.

Step two, let's try to convert that to a full IMG. I right click on my 'IMG_5422.jpg' and select 'Copy Link Address'. I click on the 'Insert Image' button and enter my copied URL into that pop-up dialog:

Oof.. that's huge in the preview window. Maybe worse than the attachment thumbnail size, even, since it spans the entire screen. Possible to resize it?

Nope, doesn't look like that's a feature of vBulletin. Not a fan of the attachment hanging about, either, since my posts are often image heavy. Perhaps if I need to do multiple steps anyway, I should just use imgur?

Let's try the same photo coming from imgur:

Original size:

EDIT (try Large Thumbnail instead of Huge) size:

Okay, that's a little better. We'll see how this looks after the post is saved.

No matter what, this is a very notable step back from before! I'm always more than happy to switch up my normal process flow, but this is a clear regression. This encourages people to use external hosting services and when that happens, it's almost guaranteed that older threads will be eventually bereft of images. Witness all of the skeleton threads from years gone past all linking to non-existent Photobucket accounts.

EDIT: looks like all three images appear the same size in the actual post. Curious. Still see the 'Attached Thumbnails', though -- maybe there's a way to hide that?

EDIT: Looks like I might be able to delete the attachment after the fact, but still keep the image. I need to Edit this post and then choose the Advanced editor. I click on the 'Manage Attachments' button. In the dialog, I click on 'Remove' by the image and then 'Close'. If we see the top-most image but don't see any attachment, then it worked.

Last edited by granroth; 06-12-2014 at 10:06 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Nice mastery of the new posting pictures method!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 4 Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 55
This is what I want

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-13_021809.jpg (317.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-13_020955.jpg (202.7 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-13_032853.jpg (105.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-13_033033.jpg (102.1 KB, 179 views)
Reply Post Testing Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page