Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The reason links in AVS Do/Don't Work

AVS has been from vB, to Huddler back to vBulletin and in the transition user's post that included Linked Text break for various reasons. One reason is Post Per Page.

This is a post that describes it best to me so I captured a picture and the Link to AlexT:
SEO=Search Engine Optimization

The bottom line is that since we have options to change our PPP......

......We will inevitably run across Linked Text that will throw us for a tail chaser since our option is open and the link integrity is destroyed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Good Bad Ulgy.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	174098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Destroyed.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	174106   Click image for larger version

Name:	PPP.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	174146  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How to Overcome bad Linked Text

Lets take a few random links form the old days:
Step 1
PHP Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/851860-official-westinghouse-tx-series-tx-42f430s-tx-47f430s-owner-s-thread-187.html#post12321483

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/798265-how-build-uhf-antenna-90.html#post15866958 
What you can learn from this is that each link has a unique forum number, thread number, post number and a not so unique Page number.
The page number copied into this code box was dynamically made based on my Post Per Page view selection of 20.

How can I manipulate this above url into a link that will work all the time and be static?

Remember this segment of html:
Step 2
PHP Code:
showthread.php?p
This is url splicing at it's best and you want to take the funky Post Per Page dependent URL from Step 1 and cut out all the info from the forumID to the #post and inject the segment from Step 2 as the replacement.

Shown All Steps
HTML Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/851860-official-westinghouse-tx-series-tx-42f430s-tx-47f430s-owner-s-thread-187.html#post12321483
HTML Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/2321483
PHP Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12321483 
Did you land on 3730?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HTML Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/798265-how-build-uhf-antenna-90.html#post15866958
HTML Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15866958
PHP Code:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15866958 
Did you land on 1782?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you have old bookmarks in IE, or Chrome, or Firefox etc,, that no longer work.. Try this to fix them.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved
post #4 of 10 Old 07-22-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at this. I noticed a few days ago that the links I put in the "Index" of my build thread no longer worked. I've found similar in other threads as well, but haven't had time to stop and figure out what was going on.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at this. I noticed a few days ago that the links I put in the "Index" of my build thread no longer worked. I've found similar in other threads as well, but haven't had time to stop and figure out what was going on.
Wow, that's a lot of work.. I thought I never get my custom bath and kitchen done.. I saw all those bags of sand and said WTH.. Granted I don't follow theater builds but at least now your lists are fixed and I know where to go to get info.
Speaking of noisy Fan's.. OMG i've got one over the range. .5 Sones my butt!!
post #6 of 10 Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
That's awesome! Thanks for fixing those. I copied and pasted that into my thread. I'm still having trouble fixing my other links though. When I try to plug the post number into the php code you provide, the resulting link takes me to the top of the page where the post is rather than to the actual post. Any thoughts?

Thanks again! And yeah, I'm pretty sure the guy responsible for measuring household exhaust fans is deaf and blind. I've heard trains quieter than some of the bathroom fans in my house.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #7 of 10 Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I think this thread needs an update on the apparent fix about past errant message linking.

Set me straight if the following is amiss:

It is believed that the problem with a post's 'PermaLink', at times, would take you to the wrong message, has been fixed.

The PermaLink is the 'Post x of x' of each message in the upper-right corner. You can reference this PermaLink in your post (copy-n-paste) or bookmark it.

The PermaLink is the link to reference to - not the Message Post Number, as that can change.

Another method, is to use the [Post] BB Code Tag in the Message Editor...

I am using the Curly instead of the Square Brackets to stop the 'Post' Tag from executing to show what the format looks like in the Editor:

Usage:

{Post}Put the Post ID Number Here{/Post}

or this...

{Post=Post ID Number}Text Value{/Post}

Example:

{Post}12345678{/Post}

or this...

{Post=12345678}Click Here{/Post}

The Message as Posted will look like this:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12345678

or this...

Click Here

Here is a link to the list of BB Code Tags

Again, the Post ID Number is not the Message Post Number you see in the upper-right corner of each message.

Hover over the Message Post Number to reveal the PermaLink which contains the Post ID Number which follows the '#post' at the end of the PermaLink.

(Note: The above Thread ID/Post ID example may or may not link to a valid thread or post.) (It does, as I post this message.)

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 33.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You've gone to great length to make a point (bbcode tagging) but at the expense of missing the point.

Whether using the 'permalink' to copy/paste into a new or old edited message is not the topic of this thread. The fact is that there exists 'Linked Text' that will not land determinate upon user's setting of Post Per Page. Both these examples take me to the top of the last page. First example is relatively new, second is older.

When editing a users listing for old 'Table of Content', or Bookmarks; I would not want to type [post]12345678[/post] for every URL property line containing a UPID (unique post identifier). Simple methods requires simple steps. Your steps are great for a given purpose, but typing takes too long. IMHO, Copy/Cut/Paste is preferred.

Case in point the use of {} brackets in your Usage/Example. They were easier to use than typing out [nopares][/noparse] four times, or at the minimum one time and copying and pasting one in each line example.

We would agree that having these tags implemented into the editor as icon executable would be Awesome!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Example Bad.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	196201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Example Bad2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	196209  
post #9 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Woobieizer: "The fact is that there exists 'Linked Text' that will not land determinate upon user's setting of Post Per Page."

Ok, it appeared it might have been fixed based on some posts in another thread. Someone tested different PPP settings and it worked. So, the {Post} Tag works but not always the PermaLinks?

Woobieizer: "Simple methods requires simple steps."

Yes they do... but this forum software is not quite there yet.

Woobieizer: "Your steps are great for a given purpose, but typing takes too long."

The BB Code Tags are there for a purpose. I noticed I could not Edit a message and do Colored Text - unless I used the {Color=ColorName} Tag.

Woobieizer: "IMHO, Copy/Cut/Paste is preferred."

Yep.

Woobieizer: "We would agree that having these tags implemented into the editor as icon executable would be Awesome!"

Yes it would. It is 2014... so why is this forum software not doing this already?

- Pj
Win7 Pro and FireFox 33.x.x on Desktop. 2013 Vizio M-Series M401i-A3 (40-inch) TV. My Firmware: V1.34.44.0080. The M401i-A3 Thread. My Latest Settings (For the A3 Panel).
The Vizio M-Series Razor Thread covers all Models 2013 & 2014. I have a ClearStream-4 connected to DTX9950 to Composite-In of Philips 3576H; local Cable to RF-In.

Last edited by CleCakYngMfd; 08-29-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Changed Quoted Text Color
post #10 of 10 Old 08-04-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

woobieizer: "The fact is that there exists 'Linked Text' that will not land determinate upon user's setting of Post Per Page"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleCakYngMfd
Ok, it appeared it might have been fixed based on some posts in another thread. Someone tested different PPP settings and it worked. So, the {Post} Tag works but not always the PermaLinks?
My examples above are disproof to your unnamed source.

"Post" Tag, referring to any link that has
Code:
showthread.php?p=
or [post]12345678[/post] parsed; have been true to land correctly regardless of login status, or PPP.
As for permalink: Not much to say that wasn't addressed in Welcome Back thread, other than perhaps all post, and specifically threads created after vB go live UPID #24888193 , will copy/paste/and PARSE to land 100%, or be tweaked to do so by the vB Team..
Hover discloses nothing of value in the tool tip yet.

woobieizer: "Simple methods requires simple steps"

Quote:
Yes they do... but this forum software is not quite there yet.
Forum software or functionality have no bearing on the context you plucked my sentence from. For the record, I used Notepad++ to markup changed, because
Quote:
Originally Posted by woobieizer
IMHO, Copy/Cut/Paste is preferred
and let AVS do the parsing.

woobieizer: "Your steps are great for a given purpose, but typing takes too long"

Quote:
The BB Code Tags are there for a purpose. I noticed I could not Edit a message and do Colored Text - unless I used the {Color=ColorName} Tag.
Clever, and not unlike the method of doing named quotes. 👍

woobieizer: IMHO, Copy/Cut/Paste is preferred

Quote:
Yep.
Glad you're in agreement with me having an opinion.

woobieizer: "We would agree that having these tags implemented into the editor as icon executable would be Awesome!"

Quote:
Yes it would. It is 2014... so why is this forum software not doing this already?
This is not the correct thread for that discussion. More importantly, I'm not even kindling under the totem pole hierarchy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	permalink.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	197201  

Last edited by Woobieizer; 08-04-2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Remove Waffle House Hash tag
Reply Post Testing Area

Tags
fixed , resolutions