Confused about House - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Confused about House

Just bought a new house that appears to be hardwired for ethernet. Would like to use the ethernet ports, so that I can set up two wireless networks, since the signal on the fourth floor of my townhouse is not very strong. But, I don't know where to begin.

Pictures are attached. Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	232465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	232473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	232481  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakirby View Post
Just bought a new house that appears to be hardwired for ethernet. Would like to use the ethernet ports, so that I can set up two wireless networks, since the signal on the fourth floor of my townhouse is not very strong. But, I don't know where to begin.

Pictures are attached. Any help would be much appreciated.
http://www.amazon.com/Network-Teleph..._bxgy_e_text_y
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Could you elaborate? I'm confident that everything works; it's a fairly new house. I am more trying to figure out what a need to move where and if I need to hook up a router/modem up in the box that I posted pictures of, so that I can use the ports through the house for wireless routers. Thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Could you elaborate? I'm confident that everything works; it's a fairly new house. I am more trying to figure out what a need to move where and if I need to hook up a router/modem up in the box that I posted pictures of, so that I can use the ports through the house for wireless routers. Thanks!
I posted this in lieu of seeing the photos and having only read the test post.

But the test toner is meant to trace wire source to destination. Since you have the box as source, you'd hook the toner there on a pair of wires by the clips or use the RJ11/RJ45 extension to make the toner fit a jack: then proceed around the upstairs tested with the sounder against the wall plates to find which port goes where.

Follow the analogy of testing a circuit breaker with a loud radio, and you turning off each breaker to find what to label the panel to outlet.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Are you using the Arris Modem for phone and Internet Service, or is this a remnant of the previous owner?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you using the Arris Modem for phone and Internet Service, or is this a remnant of the previous owner?
This is a remnant (not currently even plugged in). Is it possible to use it to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is a remnant (not currently even plugged in). Is it possible to use it to accomplish what I'm trying to do?
Yes it is possible to have more than one wireless networks.

First thing is to establish that you have a source for internet access other than a smart phone, or smart device running off of 3G/4G cell towers.

Do you know who supplies phone and data (ISP) in your area and have you contacted them.

If you have an established ISP, where is the box (modem) they supplied?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes it is possible to have more than one wireless networks.

First thing is to establish that you have a source for internet access other than a smart phone, or smart device running off of 3G/4G cell towers.

Do you know who supplies phone and data (ISP) in your area and have you contacted them.

If you have an established ISP, where is the box (modem) they supplied?
Currently with Comcast. I have the two-in-one modem/wireless router they supplied hooked up on level two of my four-level (including roof deck) through a coax connection in my family room (the Comcast technician did something in the pictured box to activate that particular connection). The problem is that the signal is poor in the outer reaches of the house. Am I able to move that modem/router to where the Aris router is and then put another wireless router somewhere else in the house?

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Currently with Comcast. I have the two-in-one modem/wireless router they supplied hooked up on level two of my four-level (including roof deck) through a coax connection in my family room (the Comcast technician did something in the pictured box to activate that particular connection). The problem is that the signal is poor in the outer reaches of the house. Am I able to move that modem/router to where the Aris router is and then put another wireless router somewhere else in the house?

Thanks!
I wouldn't move the anything until I was fully aware of what services the Comcast box does..

Your box is complete with phone/network/and cable. I don't know what services the Comcast tech turned up.

Take your last post here and put it in your original thread and answer the questions as to what model your equipment is, include ALL services Comcast provide via that box IE>. phone/internet/cable
Reply Post Testing Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page