Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19351Likes

post #11671 of 19559 Old 12-16-2016, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
The Man In the High Castle Season 2 HDR is now available on Amazon.
I can only find it in 1080p on my Samsung KS8000. Where did you find it in HDR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 19559 Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lorrain View Post
I finally watched Goliath in HDR; the story is real good and sometimes very funny.
But some scenes are SO DARK that I can't see any details. I know my projector is not an OLED Tv, but I own 3 UHD BD and it's not that bad.
Is it the same with all HDR contents on amazon ?? I can't tell for Netflix since my Samsung player won't do HDR.

I'm seriously considering getting the HDfury integral to remove HDR and keep the 10bit colors.

I hear this complaint quite a bit with projectors, and also underpowered tvs. Does your projector have dynamic contrast setting that you can bump up? Usually that helps with brightness. I've heard amazon is quite dark on a lot of tvs but my ks9800 is bright enough to power through it. If you watch amazon hdr through the k8500, bump up the contrast on the user settings to +5 to +10
David Lorrain likes this.
post #11673 of 19559 Old 12-16-2016, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB4XSBC View Post
For those who can get HDR through YouTube, this video looks very nice. Gets really bright at times, too.

https://youtu.be/xCXpjyBqbe8

That's for sharing, this indeed looks terrific. The Vibrant colors and increased dimension of space rocks looks pretty awesome. The potential of HDR with documentaries on Youtube is greater than I thought and now people who make all these nice 4k videos have the tools to grade in hdr and have a platform to show off their work and their visions.

post #11674 of 19559 Old 12-16-2016, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I believe it was mentioned that they are slated to start sometime in 2017. I think I read it here many pages back.
I'd love to see them release some of the Studio Ghibli stuff in WCG. I'm not sure if hand-drawn animation would benefit much from HDR or 4K, but opening up the color palette to reproduce the full range of what the animators originally intended could be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecker View Post
New Netflix HDR show.

The OA.

I think it's the less impressive HDR show yet (I've only watched a couple of scenes, it might get better after). HDR doesn’t bring a lot. If it were in SDR I wouldn't even know.

Also, Like Dare Devil It comes with Noise, lots of noise....or maybe it's grain, I don't know

Saw it with DV on Oled B6.
Just watched the first two episodes tonight. I didn't notice a lot of noise in the HDR10 version on my 940C, but the HDR implementation was hit-and-miss. Some dark scenes really worked, some seemed to have just poor contrast and elevated blacks, but the bright scenes and dusk/dawn scenes worked beautifully.

The HDR grading does do a great job of reproducing natural light effects. The show itself is also intriguing so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownLA View Post
Jessica Jones is in HDR on my 940c now! Someone may have said this already but thought I'd chime in.

So is Dare Devil S2
Darn it, and I just finished both of those in the last month. Oh well, I'll hold off on Luke Cage now as I'm guessing it will be getting the HDR grading soon.
post #11675 of 19559 Old 12-16-2016, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like Amazon has added their new UHD tab, which gives easy switching between uhd sections, huge improvement there!

Also checked out lots of new hdr tonight. The OA seems like a decent show, will probably get better as the season goes. As for hdr, didn't see a whole lot until the end of episode 1. And I agree with Tute, I noticed the elevated blacks too. Annoying and they really need to start doing proper black levels with these hdr shows. Also, very little noise on OA.

Daredevil and Jessica Jones I've always slammed for being a crappy picture, looks mightily improved with hdr despite the grain, wish it was lower but it's how it was filmed. The hdr adds nice color rendition and much improved depth and dimension to the picture. To me, it's a significant difference over the flatter sdr versions.
galonzo likes this.
post #11676 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't mind the faux-grain in Daredevil and Jessica Jones. These are dark and gritty shows and the grain just adds to ambience.
post #11677 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecchino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Anyone get wild Africa/tiny giants from Best Buy? How is the PQ?

I don't think Tiny Giants is available in 4K, not that I could find. But my family just watched the 3D Blu-ray with the Epson 5040 and it was one of the best experiences in the home theater to date. Picture quality was superb. And well designed, immersive 3D and great audio and overall design by BBC Earth.
They're both in 4K HDR. Exclusively sold at Best Buy. I got the Uhd bluray just not opened yet.
buju22 likes this.
post #11678 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
What player are you watching it from?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
I actually was using the vudu app on the LG tv. I have compared a couple other movies from Vudu with DV to disc with HDR10 and I think the DV colors make up for the lower bit rate.

Have not compared suicide squad yet but will do so today or tomorrow. Really looking forward to discs with DV except for the fact i will have to shell out another 550 for the oppo.
r.furborough likes this.

LG OLED65C6P
Samsung UBD-K8500
XBOX One S
post #11679 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Haven't seen the HDR yet but sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people who really enjoyed Suicide Squad.
I enjoyed it also.
morphinapg likes this.
post #11680 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
All HDR implementations are not created equal. At its worst, HDR makes a 4K image look worse than the same image does with no HDR. At its best, though, as it often is in The Grand Tour, HDR is startlingly beautiful, the closest thing to the movie experience you are likely to ever see in your living room.
I've had an OLED since 2014, cinemas haven't come close to that image quality..
Gabatta and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
post #11681 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
That's for sharing, this indeed looks terrific. The Vibrant colors and increased dimension of space rocks looks pretty awesome. The potential of HDR with documentaries on Youtube is greater than I thought and now people who make all these nice 4k videos have the tools to grade in hdr and have a platform to show off their work and their visions.
Yes! A lot of the independent Youtubers film with high quality 4k cameras. The gadget reviewer Marques Brownlee for example has impeccable 4k content. Grading for HDR wouldn't be too much extra effort for these channels.

Quote:
I finally watched Goliath in HDR; the story is real good and sometimes very funny.
But some scenes are SO DARK that I can't see any details. I know my projector is not an OLED Tv, but I own 3 UHD BD and it's not that bad.
Is it the same with all HDR contents on amazon ?? I can't tell for Netflix since my Samsung player won't do HDR.

I'm seriously considering getting the HDfury integral to remove HDR and keep the 10bit colors.
I don't recognize that. In fact it was one of the best TV show HDR presentations I've seen.

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
post #11682 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3424 Post(s)
Liked: 4008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
I've had an OLED since 2014, cinemas haven't come close to that image quality..
I respectfully disagree but will end the debate there, my end of it at least. There is nothing more arid, it seems, to me than extended arguments about something as subjective as image quality.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #11683 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
I don't recognize that. In fact it was one of the best TV show HDR presentations I've seen.
Don't get me wrong, the overall quality was amazing, almost as good as my 3 UHD BD. I just find some scenes to be very dark ( like the scenes in Mr. Cooperman office) .
Anyway, like Ray0414 suggested, I'll try to bump up the dynamic contrast on my PJ.
At least now I have HDR content to watch, I'm very glad. (next the man in high castle )

On another point, that episode 5 of The grand tour is something, it's like I'm looking through a window outside, amazing... I wish everything looked that good.
post #11684 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
We watched half of the OA last night. The show itself is quite good and absolutely not at all what I expected but I have to agree that the HDR on it is underwhelming. There are certain scenes that are good but for the most part very subtle. There are a few scenes though where it being in 4k is very nice and probably adds more than the HDR.

I'll have to get around to watching The Grand Tour now, just traded in my Chromecast Ultra for a Roku so now I can finally watch Amazon stuff in HDR.
buju22 likes this.
post #11685 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_cse View Post
We watched half of the OA last night. The show itself is quite good and absolutely not at all what I expected but I have to agree that the HDR on it is underwhelming. There are certain scenes that are good but for the most part very subtle. There are a few scenes though where it being in 4k is very nice and probably adds more than the HDR.

I'll have to get around to watching The Grand Tour now, just traded in my Chromecast Ultra for a Roku so now I can finally watch Amazon stuff in HDR.
The OA HDR at least for me is a little bit too bright overall and lack of contrast. Seems like the picture is washed and over bright. I haven't see much trough the first episode but that's my initial impression.

I actually have to check the TV settings to be sure they were correct.

Saludos
post #11686 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2767 Post(s)
Liked: 1284
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBBall View Post
You should be able to find it if your Samsung KS8000 is capable of Amazon HDR? There may be two versions on Amazon, the 1080p version as well as the 4k version. You should see the UHD tag on the top left of the image as shown here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm_0239.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1836297  

lujan
236 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #11687 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Looks like Amazon has added their new UHD tab, which gives easy switching between uhd sections, huge improvement there!

Are you going to add updated instructions to post #2? I looked at the Roku app and the app on my LG TV, as well as the website, and didn't see any sort of UHD tab.

LG OLED65B6P
Marantz SR7010 driving 5.1.4
Klipsch RP-280FA Atmos Towers (Front)
Klipsch RP-250C (Center)
Pioneer SP-EFS73 Atmos Towers (Rear)
post #11688 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched the UHD version of "I Am Legend" last night and was very impressed with the video quality. It was a refreshing change after watching all of the lousy video on the Bourne movies. IMO, the list of Bourne movies falls like this from worst to best:

Bourne 3
Bourne 1
Bourne 2
Bourne 4

I haven't watched the latest Bourne 5 but certainly hope it's better than the others.
aaronwt likes this.

lujan
236 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #11689 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownLA View Post
Jessica Jones is in HDR on my 940c now! Someone may have said this already but thought I'd chime in.

So is Dare Devil S2
Thanks for the heads up! I rewatched the first 10 minutes of Episode 1, Season 1 of Jessica Jones on Netflix earlier and the HDR looked beautiful. Unfortunately, Netflix's UI for my Sony XBR S940D can no longer display the resolution of the program being streamed. I assume I was getting it in 4K but I had no way to confirm that this was the case. Fortunately, Amazon's UI can display both resolution and HDR info. Shame on Netflix for this glaringly big step backward!
King Richard and Pilatus47 like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #11690 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up! I rewatched the first 10 minutes of Episode 1, Season 1 of Jessica Jones on Netflix earlier and the HDR looked beautiful. Unfortunately, Netflix's UI for my Sony XBR S940D can no longer display the resolution of the program being streamed. I assume I was getting it in 4K but I had no way to confirm that this was the case. Fortunately, Amazon's UI can display both resolution and HDR info. Shame on Netflix for this glaringly big step backward!
It's not just your display, I think the info button on Netflix has disappeared for everyone. It was useful, I don't know why they did that.
post #11691 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 09:22 AM
as in "O.G." Alonzo

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Post Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruckus View Post
FYI I watched Miss Peregrin on UHD & to me it is a Reference quality disk right from the beginning of the film to the end. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Miss Peregrine has a lot of use of HDR, to be sure. Particularly in the 1st half hour, and its a little over-blown for my taste. PQ in general is also quite good, certainly better than average for UHD discs. But I's stop just short of calling it reference quality, mainly because the HDR is over-done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
So it looks exaggerated like the hdr demo videos from LG and Samsung?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I mean you'll be reaching for your sunglasses if you have an LCD. In some scenes the average brightness is too high, in some scenes its just the highlights.
Finally got to watch this last night, and I must say, I agree that it is a reference title (compared to what's currently available). Yes, some of the brighter scenes are quite bright, but not any more than, say, the brighter scenes of X-men Apocalypse (the APL likely seems a lot brighter due to the 1.85:1 aspect ratio; especially in a near-pitch-black viewing environment).

Easily slots into my top five, possibly top three, but I did catch banding in one sky scene (I'll be giving this one another spin, so I'll be sure to double-check settings next time); so in no particular order:
  • The Revenant
  • Lucy
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
  • X-Men Apocalypse
  • Pacific Rim

Update: I investigated the scene with banding (timestamp in spoiler, for those who haven't seen it yet and are hopefully not looking for it), and came to the conclusion that it's in the source.

Equipment Details:
Spoiler!

Last edited by galonzo; 12-26-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added update
post #11692 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBBall View Post
You should be able to find it if your Samsung KS8000 is capable of Amazon HDR? There may be two versions on Amazon, the 1080p version as well as the 4k version. You should see the UHD tag on the top left of the image as shown here:
Thanks for this. For some reason it shows up for Season 1 but not Season 2. Maybe it'll update soon...
post #11693 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
It's not just your display, I think the info button on Netflix has disappeared for everyone. It was useful, I don't know why they did that.
Yeah, I had read somewhere that Netflix had eliminated the resolution info overlay on all of their clients. I had heard too that they did so because they were receiving too many calls concerning resolution. If that's why Netflix eliminated the availability of resolution info from their UI, they should be double ashamed.
King Richard likes this.

post #11694 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2892 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Yeah, I had read somewhere that Netflix had eliminated the resolution info overlay on all of their clients. I had heard too that they did so because they were receiving too many calls concerning resolution. If that's why Netflix eliminated the availability of resolution info from their UI, they should be double ashamed.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #11695 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can still find it on my 4 year old Oppo 103 blu-ray player. All other newer devices don't have it anymore. I contacted Netflix about this and they responded:

Thank you for contacting Netflix in regards to your feedback. Your email was forwarded to our department for follow-up.

We are constantly striving to improve the service and appreciate you letting us know how certain features work for you. We do test new features and try to improve the functionality of our website and user interfaces. Our decisions on what features become the default experience are based on, among other things, valuable feedback from our customers, such as yourself. Please know we will ensure your suggestions are forwarded to the appropriate departments for further review.

Again, we thank you for your feedback regarding our service. If you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service (https://help.netflix.com/contactus).

Sincerely,
Netflix Corporate Resolutions

Don't think we'll hear from them again about it...

lujan
236 Ultra HD
780 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #11696 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
I watched the UHD version of "I Am Legend" last night and was very impressed with the video quality. It was a refreshing change after watching all of the lousy video on the Bourne movies. IMO, the list of Bourne movies falls like this from worst to best:

Bourne 3
Bourne 1
Bourne 2
Bourne 4

I haven't watched the latest Bourne 5 but certainly hope it's better than the others.
This is the biggest disappointment for me...theyre some of my favorite action movies, and I was ready to pick them up again(I have dvd, blu ray and hd dvd versions of the first three)oh well
post #11697 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
from the thread topic post, it makes it sound like what I am playing on my KS8000 from YT is not in HDR (but Netflix and Amazon are, yes?), is that accurate? It also mentions that only the VP9 encoded video from YT is HDR, therefore if I downloaded the VP9 format from YT using 4k Video Downloader, would that be in HDR? Its hard to tell since MediaInfo doesn't provide much details about media encoded using Vorbis video and audio. Thanks for the help.
post #11698 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Particularly since they charge extra for this tier of service.
gwsat and King Richard like this.
post #11699 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow oa hdr looks like sht, its too damn dark. Best hdr implementation is the grand tour
post #11700 of 19559 Old 12-17-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2892 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Dark is fine if it is supposed to be. Not all hdr will be blinding and it shouldn't be.
reallynotnick and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page