Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 428 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18569Likes

post #12811 of 18816 Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
@ray0414

Just need a little clarification about redeeming digital codes as stated on post#1.
To be clear, if the movie (example: Warcraft) has VUDU at the end it redeems in 4k in that service.
If a movie ( example: Concussion) has Ultra it redeems on Sonys service.

This whole exclusivity thing is really taking our rights away. As well as not receiving a 4k UHD copy of certain titles. This whole Ultraviolet service was created to help cut down on people making copies of movies and possibly loosing revenue with copies being made to sell or to be given away to others. It was sold to us as a way of protecting our purchase. If you purchase a 1080p version of a movie you don't get a 480p copy, you get what you paid for. A 1080p version. Well now we are purchasing a 4k UHD version and should be receiving a 4k UHD version in Ultraviolet service, where all of our digital copies are stored, regardless of what service you use to watch our content. One day this exclusivity thing will be over and all services will have these movies for the most part. Sorry for the rant.....just pisses me off now that they have us using this digital service.
b0rnarian and LG4k like this.

LG 65 B6P
Vizio 2014 P 702ui-3B
Samsung K8500
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV
Atlantic technology speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12812 of 18816 Old 01-27-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyice426 View Post
@ray0414

Just need a little clarification about redeeming digital codes as stated on post#1.
To be clear, if the movie (example: Warcraft) has VUDU at the end it redeems in 4k in that service.
If a movie ( example: Concussion) has Ultra it redeems on Sonys service.

This whole exclusivity thing is really taking our rights away. As well as not receiving a 4k UHD copy of certain titles. This whole Ultraviolet service was created to help cut down on people making copies of movies and possibly loosing revenue with copies being made to sell or to be given away to others. It was sold to us as a way of protecting our purchase. If you purchase a 1080p version of a movie you don't get a 480p copy, you get what you paid for. A 1080p version. Well now we are purchasing a 4k UHD version and should be receiving a 4k UHD version in Ultraviolet service, where all of our digital copies are stored, regardless of what service you use to watch our content. One day this exclusivity thing will be over and all services will have these movies for the most part. Sorry for the rant.....just pisses me off now that they have us using this digital service.
Equally pissed off that we pay for UHD versions but end up with HDX version for streaming!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #12813 of 18816 Old 01-27-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've had no issues from UltraFLix on my SOny UHD TV or ROku. I have it set on Auto bitrate with HEVC on my Sony TV(and you can also select H.264 instead of HEVC) I've also tried it on the highest fixed bitrate and the auto streams the same one. It has been rock solid for me. It's OK quality for UHD streaming but of course the UHD BD titles look better. The last UHD movie I watched from UltraFLix was The Core.

I've also watched a bunch of the free UHD Music Videos. It' been a very long time since I watched Music Videos. I remember watching them in High School when MTV first launched. They certainly look much better on UltraFLix.
I finally gave Ultraflix another shot after cancelling and getting a refund around 10 months ago. I watched a movie from 2003 called "The Core" and it looked very good on Ultraflix and I had no issues with buffering at all. Watched it the whole way through with no issues. I hope Ultraflix continues in this manner. The only thing to change on my end since last year is my ISP speed went from 75 mbps to 150 mbps (of course it never reaches the maximum). The other thing it I didn't have the Roku Ultra last year when I had tried Ultralfix.
Kruckus likes this.

lujan
226 Ultra HD
783 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD

post #12814 of 18816 Old 01-27-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2828
Ultraflix isn't 5.1 so it's an immediate no go for me.
galonzo, Kruckus and synccoil like this.

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #12815 of 18816 Old 01-27-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Ultraflix isn't 5.1 so it's an immediate no go for me.
For $1.00 per movie I don't mind it so much since it's 4k. Plus my Denon AVR upmixes to Dolby surround.
aaronwt and mrtickleuk like this.

lujan
226 Ultra HD
783 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #12816 of 18816 Old 01-27-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3096 Post(s)
Liked: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Of the recent ones, Magnificent 7 is damn sharp with inky blacks. X-men Apocalypse looks like the 4K version as mentioned above. The movie Spectral on Netflix is a treat to watch in 1080p and its an awesome movie. Of the old, Skyfall and Riddick are HD Galore. I could go on all day...
Thanks for the heads up on the NetFlix Spectral - loved it !

UN65HU9000 with SEK-3500U in JS Mod Mode + Input at 1080P 60HZ 444. 4K separate input- Mine
UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U / UN32EH5300 (On floor and up for sale) / 2 X LG 55LHXs - wife's ! New addition UN40J5200AF
PN64F8500 still up for sale
post #12817 of 18816 Old 01-27-2017, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow View Post
So I finally made the jump and bought a UHD player (Philips 7501). Also bought Mad Max.

I'm the type of person that usually watches a movie once, maybe twice, then never again. Do you guys have some sort of trading system set up to exchange discs? I suppose I could do eBay, but trading might be more efficient.

PM me if necessary.

Thanks.
Sounds like renting might be a good fit for you. I've heard good things about w*w*w*.store-3d-blurayrental.com/
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I've know of video game trade networks, but I think it would make a lot of sense for uhd discs as well.
post #12818 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Having seen a couple different UHD blurays I thought I'd leave some reviews. I like to rate the technical quality factors out of what I believe to be possible, creative and visual style in the cinematography is compared to some of the all time greats.

I personally rate 4K Detail less important than HDR, good colors, or just overall cinematography.

The Magnificent Seven
4K Detail: 2.5 / 5.0. Doesn't look much sharper than full HD. The grain looks digital and reduces clarity.
HDR and colors: 3.8 / 5.0. Overall a great case of HDR and deep colors, the movie is no doubt better for it. Used a bit excessively in a few scenes, but in most cases tasteful and beautiful.
Cinematography: 2.8 / 5.0.
Notes: The black levels are slightly lifted meaning there is almost no true black in the movie, a slight change of the TV's brightness settings from 50 to 48 fixed it. Overall not a huge issue.
Overall: One of the better HDR productions and the plot is tolerable.

The Revenant
4K Detail: 3.8 / 5.0. Overall sharp, but not to the same degree of a movie like Lucy.
HDR and colors: 4.0 / 5.0. Reserved and tasteful used HDR. Most scenes aren't noticeably changed by it, but some look astounding. Like the torchlight search party in the woods. Or Tom Hardy being interviewed next to a sunlit window. Deep saturation colors rarely noticed but understandable given the pale winter setting, some bonfire orange looks to be deeper tones than rec709.
Cinematography: 4.5 / 5.0.
Overall: A modern classic and a definite keeper, great HDR production close to reference.

X-Men Apocalypse
4K Detail: 3.6 / 5.0. CGI usage much softer than the camera footage.
HDR and colors: 3.0 / 5.0. Colorful effects, and some scenes like in the gardens of the X-men house looks good.
Cinematography: 2.2 / 5.0. Run of the mill stuff here.
Notes: The high degree of CGI and blue screen usage detracts from the image quality.
Overall: A decent production, but not particularly fan of the genre and plot.

Lucy
4K Detail: 4.4 / 5.0. The 4K through and through production is obvious here, and so is the well above average bitrate of around 80mbps. Very high clarity in the picture.
HDR and colors: 2.2 / 5.0. Very muted use of HDR and no noteworthy use of deeply saturated colors.
Cinematography: 1.7 / 5.0. Very average production. Nothing remarkable or impressive about the creative side. Surprising since it's from the director of the visually very interesting The 5th Element.
Overall: The best use of 4K resolution and high bitrate, but not that interesting movie.

Star Trek Into Darkness
4K Detail: 3.5 / 5.0. The IMAX volcano scene has great sharpness.
HDR and colors: 2.9 / 5.0. Not the most remarkable use of HDR, some deep colors though.
Cinematography: 2.9 / 5.0. The aspect ratio switching is a creative choice I really don't agree with. Excess use of lens flairs.
Notes: The black levels are wrongly graded and quite lifted which is especially annoying in space scenes.
Overall: Too many flaws in the creative choices and black levels to recommend.
davehale, powpow, Mike_WI and 1 others like this.

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
post #12819 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 2828
I told a friend of mine who got a new TV to download a few HDR demos from the first post and he told me that Tom Roper's video has a broken link or missing file. I checked and sure enough the new one doesn't lead to a valid file so you can't download it. Is the link incorrect?

Samsung 55JS9000, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC(SLI 970s), Philips BDP7501 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #12820 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 06:50 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6180 Post(s)
Liked: 3836
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
For $1.00 per movie I don't mind it so much since it's 4k. Plus my Denon AVR upmixes to Dolby surround.
Yes. I don't use Ultraflix very often, but it's nice to have as an option. As long as my credits don't expire. I still have 86 credits left from the 99 I purchased for a dollar each, back in 2015.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Sony UBP-X800--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #12821 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursineguy View Post
Sounds like renting might be a good fit for you. I've heard good things about w*w*w*.store-3d-blurayrental.com/
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I've know of video game trade networks, but I think it would make a lot of sense for uhd discs as well.
I subscribed for several months and was very disappointed in how slow discs arrived.

Also they somehow lost a few discs in the mail and blamed me for it... they wrote off the discs as lost and didn't charge me for them which was respectable but never took once ounce of responsibility for mis-processing incoming discs.

I guess the skeptic in me doubts our USPS mail system would lose 3 discs in the mail.

I now simply buy discs and keep the ones I love... selling the watch-only-once discs.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks!
Cory

Audio: Ascend Acoutics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC DLA-RS400, LG OLED B6, 92" Dark Energy Abyss screen, HTPC/MadVR/Darblet, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Player
post #12822 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 4006
Most of the regular subscribers probably saw this post of mine mentioning an invitation I received to an IMAX Special Event with Toni Myers who is a renowned producer, director, writer, and editor on many IMAX films. In that same post I also made a brief reference to the fact that she had also been consulted by Christopher Nolan for his movie Intersteller due in large part to her involvement on many of the IMAX space movies.

While I think most guys got the correlation between the subject matter and my excitement in attending an event hosted by Toni Myers, I was asked what my post had to do with 4K Blu-rays and I replied with this post where I reminded the poster that this thread isn't all about 4K Blu-rays, it's about 4K HDR which comes in a number of mediums including:

• Blu-rays
  • Streaming
  • Downloads
  • Theatrical Releases

For the earlier adopters one of the first things we used to see the effects of HDR were some small clip we had to download to our computers and transfer them to a USB stick and plug them into our TVs. I really never thought it would be necessary that I would have to find a 4K HDR clip when I originally posted about the event I was going to attend but to my surprise I did manage to find one.

For those who want to play hide and go seek I don't think I could make it any easier for you. Here is a link to a YouTube 1080p non-HDR video which provides a tutorial using Intersteller:

*** LINK REMOVED due to site owner being banned on other forums ***

If you view the YouTube video in a browser and check out the description and click on View More you will see a link to a website where you can download a "free" 4K HDR demo but let me give you a heads up -- when you get to the website you will require a membership to download the clip and you may need a high-end PC to play it on using MadVR so probably not even worth wasting your time on.

The reason I am not including a direct link to the site where the file can be download is due to a few reasons as follows:

1. the site requires a membership just to get the FREE download(s)
  2. they are asking for donations which seems a little bizarre for a legitimate business
  3. the site offers a number of 1080p HDR movies and claims they can provide many of the current releases in this format
  4. the site suggests you will most likely require a high-end computer to view the movies
  5. from my cursory review it appears the site doesn't own the rights to any of the full movies they are offering on their site

I would suggest that if anyone is interested in this kind of stuff then by all means that is their prerogative but in order to avoid posts being removed from this thread it is probably best not to discuss it here without the mods permission. Maybe there is another thread to discuss 1080p HDR bootleg material.

Cheers!

Samsung UN78HU9000 - Firmware 1500.4 SEK-3500U
Samsung UN40HU7000 - Firmware 1210.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR
Marantz SR7005 Receiver
Magnepan Speakers & Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 01-28-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: YouTube Link Removed
post #12823 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post

The Revenant
4K Detail: 3.8 / 5.0. Overall sharp, but not to the same degree of a movie like Lucy.
HDR and colors: 4.0 / 5.0. Reserved and tasteful used HDR. Most scenes aren't noticeably changed by it, but some look astounding. Like the torchlight search party in the woods. Or Tom Hardy being interviewed next to a sunlit window. Deep saturation colors rarely noticed but understandable given the pale winter setting, some bonfire orange looks to be deeper tones than rec709.
Cinematography: 4.5 / 5.0.
Overall: A modern classic and a definite keeper, great HDR production close to reference.
Thanks for the reviews.

I agree with your Revenant numbers except on Cinematography I'd give it a 5/5...it's one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen.
post #12824 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 2817
Their website says they use the SDR Blu-Ray as a source. So isn't it just a SDR-to-HDR up-conversion? My TV has a mode which does that already, with questionable results.

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #12825 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Most of the regular subscribers probably saw this post of mine mentioning an invitation I received to an IMAX Special Event with Toni Myers who is a renowned producer, director, writer, and editor on many IMAX films. In that same post I also made a brief reference to the fact that she had also been consulted by Christopher Nolan for his movie Intersteller due in large part to her involvement on many of the IMAX space movies.

While I think most guys got the correlation between the subject matter and my excitement in attending an event hosted by Toni Myers, I was asked what my post had to do with 4K Blu-rays and I replied with this post where I reminded the poster that this thread isn't all about 4K Blu-rays, it's about 4K HDR which comes in a number of mediums including:

• Blu-rays
  • Streaming
  • Downloads
  • Theatrical Releases

For the earlier adopters one of the first things we used to see the effects of HDR were some small clip we had to download to our computers and transfer them to a USB stick and plug them into our TVs. I really never thought it would be necessary that I would have to find a 4K HDR clip when I originally posted about the event I was going to attend but to my surprise I did manage to find one.

For those who want to play hide and go seek I don't think I could make it any easier for you. Here is a link to a YouTube 1080p non-HDR video which provides a tutorial using Intersteller:

If you view the YouTube video in a browser and check out the description and click on View More you will see a link to a website where you can download a "free" 4K HDR demo but let me give you a heads up -- when you get to the website you will require a membership to download the clip and you may need a high-end PC to play it on using MadVR so probably not even worth wasting your time on.

The reason I am not including a direct link to the site where the file can be download is due to a few reasons as follows:

1. the site requires a membership just to get the FREE download(s)
  2. they are asking for donations which seems a little bizarre for a legitimate business
  3. the site offers a number of 1080p HDR movies and claims they can provide many of the current releases in this format
  4. the site suggests you will most likely require a high-end computer to view the movies
  5. from my cursory review it appears the site doesn't own the rights to any of the full movies they are offering on their site

I would suggest that if anyone is interested in this kind of stuff then by all means that is their prerogative but in order to avoid posts being removed from this thread it is probably best not to discuss it here without the mods permission. Maybe there is another thread to discuss 1080p HDR bootleg material.

Cheers!
You are right to be wary. I would even suggest you remove the link to the YouTube vid. The owner of that site has been banned on other forums for trying to sell his "HDR" movies. They are all fake HDR. He uses blu-rays as a source and just plays with contrast and saturation to make them look like HDR. Then says they can be viewed properly on SDR monitors/TVs. I would stay very far away. He's a charlatan.
post #12826 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Liked: 4006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Their website says they use the SDR Blu-Ray as a source. So isn't it just a SDR-to-HDR up-conversion? My TV has a mode which does that already, with questionable results.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! You found the site!

I am really not sure what they are all about. Their site goes so far as making claims that there are "some huge differences and benefits" between their process and Dolby Vision and HDR10 so you can see why I didn't want to promote their site by providing a link on AVS Forum!!!

They even go so far as trying to explain that "Actual HDR TVs are not really HDRs but SDRs" and at that point my eyes started to glaze over and I wondered to myself, "Would it be appropriate to crack a beer at 9:30am?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
You are right to be wary. I would even suggest you remove the link to the YouTube vid. The owner of that site has been banned on other forums for trying to sell his "HDR" movies. They are all fake HDR. He uses blu-rays as a source and just plays with contrast and saturation to make them look like HDR. Then says they can be viewed properly on SDR monitors/TVs. I would stay very far away. He's a charlatan.

Couldn't agree with you more!!! YouTube link removed in above post.
puddy77 and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 - Firmware 1500.4 SEK-3500U
Samsung UN40HU7000 - Firmware 1210.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR
Marantz SR7005 Receiver
Magnepan Speakers & Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 01-28-2017 at 09:50 AM.
post #12827 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 3096 Post(s)
Liked: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I told a friend of mine who got a new TV to download a few HDR demos from the first post and he told me that Tom Roper's video has a broken link or missing file. I checked and sure enough the new one doesn't lead to a valid file so you can't download it. Is the link incorrect?
grayspeak8bhdr_.mkv is apparently missing in action. 849M is too big for an attachment to a posting, and I don't use any large file programs.
It will up to Tom Roper as to what he's doing with the file.

UN65HU9000 with SEK-3500U in JS Mod Mode + Input at 1080P 60HZ 444. 4K separate input- Mine
UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U / UN32EH5300 (On floor and up for sale) / 2 X LG 55LHXs - wife's ! New addition UN40J5200AF
PN64F8500 still up for sale
post #12828 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow View Post
Thanks for the reviews.

I agree with your Revenant numbers except on Cinematography I'd give it a 5/5...it's one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen.
I agree it is one of the best. Lubezki is one of my top2 cinematographers. Him and Deakins consistently do incredible work.

The scenery and the use of natural light is drop dead gorgeous.

However with my ratings I do like to leave some space for absolute perfection. I remember having watched movies that impressed me slightly more than this one, so saving the 4.6-5.0 ratings for now.
King Richard likes this.

LG 55EA970 OLED
LG OLED65C6P
post #12829 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked: 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Of the recent ones, Magnificent 7 is damn sharp with inky blacks. X-men Apocalypse looks like the 4K version as mentioned above. The movie Spectral on Netflix is a treat to watch in 1080p and its an awesome movie. Of the old, Skyfall and Riddick are HD Galore. I could go on all day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the NetFlix Spectral - loved it !
I agree that the Netflix Original film, Spectral looked great. Thought it sounded great too. Add to that, its wonderful special effects and large, talented ensemble cast, and it's great fun.

Over time I have concluded that native 2160p Ultra HD without HDR is almost indistinguishable from well mastered 1080p HD, upconverted to 2160p. Although Netflix didn't bill Spectral as having 2160p Ultra HD resolution, it looked that good to me.

The film itself is filled with death and destruction but it is also very exciting. In short I think the time I spent watching it was well spent. Highly recommended! There is a caveat here, though. I have a fondness for loud, exciting films, which allows me to forgive quite a bit of dumbness. The science fiction here was of the comic book variety but it all looked and sounded so great, in the end, I didn't care.
b0rnarian and King Richard like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #12830 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 04:50 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
I subscribed for several months and was very disappointed in how slow discs arrived.

Also they somehow lost a few discs in the mail and blamed me for it... they wrote off the discs as lost and didn't charge me for them which was respectable but never took once ounce of responsibility for mis-processing incoming discs.

I guess the skeptic in me doubts our USPS mail system would lose 3 discs in the mail.

I now simply buy discs and keep the ones I love... selling the watch-only-once discs.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I've been getting discs in the mail since 1999 with Netflix and since 2012 with 3D BD rental. I can't even count how many discs that the USPS has screwed up over the years. I've had discs get lost, get delivered to the wrong address, and get mangled by their machinery. As well as a short period where the discs were stolen from the night shift at the local post office. I reported it to the Postal Inspectors which got involved to catch the people.

Plus I have many other packages from other places that have had similar issues. I'm not saying this happens all the time but it does happen. Including Disc rentals I easily get over two hundred packages from the USPS each year. And I would say I have an issue with around 4% or 5% of them.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #12831 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 04:56 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I agree that the Netflix Original film, Spectral looked great. Thought it sounded great too. Add to that, its wonderful special effects and large, talented ensemble cast, and it's great fun.

Over time I have concluded that native 2160p Ultra HD without HDR is almost indistinguishable from well mastered 1080p HD, upconverted to 2160p. Although Netflix didn't bill Spectral as having 2160p Ultra HD resolution, it looked that good to me.

The film itself is filled with death and destruction but it is also very exciting. In short I think the time I spent watching it was well spent. Highly recommended! There is a caveat here, though. I have a fondness for loud, exciting films, which allows me to forgive quite a bit of dumbness. The science fiction here was of the comic book variety but it all looked and sounded so great, in the end, I didn't care.
DId we watch the same movie? While I enjoyed Spectral, I didn't think it came anywhere close to some of the UHD/HDR content I've watched from Netflix. The entire time I was wishing it was in UHD and HDR. I watched it the first or second day it was available though. So maybe it looks different now?

But Netflix or any streaming service HD easily looks inferior to their UHD streaming to me. Then of course you add HDR and it's an even bigger difference. Their streaming UHD content seems close to what you get from the 2K BD. But then their HD streaming seems well below what you get from the 2K BD. The last time I made a comparison with Netflix was with the last season of House of Cards. When I looked at the 2K BDs and compared it to the Netflix HD and UHD streaming.
Masterbrew2 likes this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-28-2017 at 05:00 PM.
post #12832 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Thought Inferno looked really nice. Nice color and great detail. Just hate wondering "what if" since they gave it a 2k di. Also like the aspect ratio. Hoping for more movies using this format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12833 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 70
After watching star trek into the darkness and then watching star trek beyond.... into the darkness is much better in video quality and hdr imo.

Question since i dont know how to search this thread on mobile;

Rating for John Wick? Im excited for the 2nd one and wondering if anyone had impressions on the first one. Hdr grading and 4k?
post #12834 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigck417 View Post
Thought Inferno looked really nice. Nice color and great detail. Just hate wondering "what if" since they gave it a 2k di. Also like the aspect ratio. Hoping for more movies using this format.

It infuriates me to see so many studios still using 2K DIs when the source format is much higher quality. Such a waste. I understand the reasoning for VFX and all that, but honestly it isn't going to kill your movie to have lower quality VFX than the live action footage. But seriously, unless you're doing Avatar or Transformers level VFX, there's no reason not to do it in 4K anymore.
reallynotnick likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W, PS4 Pro, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #12835 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
It infuriates me to see so many studios still using 2K DIs when the source format is much higher quality. Such a waste. I understand the reasoning for VFX and all that, but honestly it isn't going to kill your movie to have lower quality VFX than the live action footage. But seriously, unless you're doing Avatar or Transformers level VFX, there's no reason not to do it in 4K anymore.

I don't know what the deal is. They supposedly did a 4K DI for DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. Why not Inferno? Time? Cost?

post #12836 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai G0SU View Post
Rating for John Wick? Im excited for the 2nd one and wondering if anyone had impressions on the first one. Hdr grading and 4k?
Robert Harris reviewed it yesterday on HTF

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Worth an Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

Pass / Fail - Pass
aaronwt, carp, gwsat and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 01-28-2017 at 09:02 PM.
post #12837 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 10137 Post(s)
Liked: 9084
Quote:
After watching star trek into the darkness and then watching star trek beyond.... into the darkness is much better in video quality and hdr imo.

There are 2 reviews so far for John Wick 4k BD, and so far, both reviews say the PQ is nearly flawless with excellent use of HDR. For the price, its a complete no Brainer.

Edit: just checked and there are 3 reviews plus a youtube review, all 4 were very impressed. This is a must own at the low price.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...lu-ray.351128/

http://flix66.com/john-wick-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review/

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=S00ykN62oZM
aaronwt, captainbrent and mikestr like this.

Last edited by ray0414; 01-28-2017 at 10:28 PM.
post #12838 of 18816 Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Quote:

There are 2 reviews so far for John Wick 4k BD, and so far, both reviews say the PQ is nearly flawless with excellent use of HDR. For the price, its a complete no Brainer.
Thank you ray! Yeah 17.99 is a steal for s 4k bluray!
aaronwt and ray0414 like this.
post #12839 of 18816 Old 01-29-2017, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think the majority (if not all) the thread members had the same impression about Star Trek Into Darkness and Star Trek Beyond as you...

lujan
226 Ultra HD
783 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
post #12840 of 18816 Old 01-29-2017, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Robert Harris reviewed it yesterday on HTF

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Worth an Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

Pass / Fail - Pass
I'm double dipping on this one but the original blu-ray (John Wick) already had an Atmos audio track. I think this is the very first Atmos BD that I purchased.

lujan
226 Ultra HD
783 HD
18 HD DVD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page