21Likes

post #1 of 130 Old 09-10-2016, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Enable HDR from PC

Hi,

I was hoping someone with some hdr experience could help clarify something. I recently purchased the LG OLEDB6P and I also put together a new pc with a Titan X Pascal. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to have my PC send out a HDR signal to the TV. When I play a HDR blu ray from my Xbox One, the tv displays a message saying hdr content has begun playing. I don't seem to get any type of message like that when watching any 4k videos I downloaded or while playing any games. Obduction for example has said they support HDR but I don't get the v's hdr message when I boot it up.

The hdmi cable I am using is a High Speed cable. Could it be that it is still sending and displaying as hdr even though the message didn't come on or do you think there is something I need to enable with nvidia?

thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 Old 09-10-2016, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I noticed in the nVidia control panel there is an option for color depth and the only option available is 8bit. However, if I change the resolution to 1080p I have 8 and 12 as the options. at 4k I only have 8. Could that be the issue?
zmarty likes this.
post #3 of 130 Old 09-11-2016, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I am going to try to get this to work today on my new GTX 1080.

I have read HDR is in the latest Windows 10 anniversary update, I am trying to do that now.

post #4 of 130 Old 09-11-2016, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllb View Post

I have read HDR is in the latest Windows 10 anniversary update, I am trying to do that now.
Hey dllb, what tv are you running to? I just confirmed that it is not the HDMI cable by using the same hdmi cable on the same input with the xbox one s and it showed the "began playing HDR" message.
post #5 of 130 Old 09-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbs View Post
Hey dllb, what tv are you running to? I just confirmed that it is not the HDMI cable by using the same hdmi cable on the same input with the xbox one s and it showed the "began playing HDR" message.
I have the Samsung js9500.
post #6 of 130 Old 09-12-2016, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
jibbs, I'm not sure if HDR is actually in the game yet. There's multiple aspects of their partnership with Nvidia which aren't in there either such as Ansel, and VR support is not yet enabled. My guess is that those features need a bit more time to bake but they didn't want to delay the entire game over it.

Quote:

This is only somewhat accurate. MS has said that they are providing developer's the capability at least in DirectX this year, but 2017 is the expected time for the consumers. ( youtube.com/watch?v=dcDDvoauaz0&t=43m34s ). Right now, the only way you can get HDR functionality is through Nvidia and potentially AMD itself and developers needing to implement their custom SDKs. MS hasn't pushed any consumer facing functionality out themselves for the desktop OS (obviously for the Xbox OS that functionality exists in consumer form).
post #7 of 130 Old 09-14-2016, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Iced_Eagle;46746129]jibbs, I'm not sure if HDR is actually in the game yet. There's multiple aspects of their partnership with Nvidia which aren't in there either such as Ansel, and VR support is not yet enabled. My guess is that those features need a bit more time to bake but they didn't want to delay the entire game over it.

That maybe be, but I also found out according to this article that apparently the titan X, or any nVidia card, doesn't support HDMI 2.0a, which is required for HDR. It only supports HDMI 2.0, which means you need to use the DisplayPort to use HDR. They say in order to get HDR working with your TV through HDMI you need to also buy an nVidia Shield and use GameStream to do so. That seems absurd to me on so many levels. I decided to buy this adapter which says it will pass through the full color gamut from DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0a so I'm hoping that will do the trick without the need to buy a Shield. I' will find out soon enough.
post #8 of 130 Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 AM

[quote=jibbs;46798537]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Eagle View Post
jibbs, I'm not sure if HDR is actually in the game yet. There's multiple aspects of their partnership with Nvidia which aren't in there either such as Ansel, and VR support is not yet enabled. My guess is that those features need a bit more time to bake but they didn't want to delay the entire game over it.

That maybe be, but I also found out according to this article that apparently the titan X, or any nVidia card, doesn't support HDMI 2.0a, which is required for HDR. It only supports HDMI 2.0, which means you need to use the DisplayPort to use HDR. They say in order to get HDR working with your TV through HDMI you need to also buy an nVidia Shield and use GameStream to do so. That seems absurd to me on so many levels. I decided to buy this adapter which says it will pass through the full color gamut from DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0a so I'm hoping that will do the trick without the need to buy a Shield. I' will find out soon enough.
10 series cards do have an HDMI 2.0b port.
post #9 of 130 Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
10-bit cannot be sent over an HDMI 2.0 18gbps connection at 444 or in RGB at 2160p60.

You can go into the NVidia control panel and select 422 and then both 10-bit and 12-bit should appear.
post #10 of 130 Old 09-22-2016, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
10-bit cannot be sent over an HDMI 2.0 18gbps connection at 444 or in RGB at 2160p60.

You can go into the NVidia control panel and select 422 and then both 10-bit and 12-bit should appear.
Thanks, I can do that but then the color range is locked at limited. I also tried using this DisplayPort to HDMI but that didn't help at all. I know you can get HDR through HDMI obviously, I am doing it with my Xbox One.

The part that makes it difficult to test is not having any content that I know for sure should be putting my tv into HDR mode.I downloaded a few sample videos from the AVS Master List but they don't make my TV go into HDR mode and I don't know if that is because I need a special video player. Should I be able to get HDR out of Windows Media Player?
post #11 of 130 Old 09-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
YCbCr is always equivalent to limited range RGB I believe, but the TV should remap it to the proper range (otherwise throwing out dynamic range and washing out the image for no reason).

I don't know about Windows Media player playing back HDR10 content, I don't own an HDR10 TV.
post #12 of 130 Old 09-24-2016, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbs View Post
Thanks, I can do that but then the color range is locked at limited. I also tried using DisplayPort to HDMI but that didn't help at all. I know you can get HDR through HDMI obviously, I am doing it with my Xbox One.

The part that makes it difficult to test is not having any content that I know for sure should be putting my tv into HDR mode.I downloaded a few sample videos from the but they don't make my TV go into HDR mode and I don't know if that is because I need a special video player. Should I be able to get HDR out of Windows Media Player?
I very much doubt Windows Media Player is able to do that. Can't you just put the footage on an USB drive and hook it up to your TV? (Or put your demos on Plex and stream them if that's more comfortable for you)

Trying to get HDR content playing from a PC is a hassle, only the Nvidia HDR ""demo"" worked for me so far but nothing else.

Sony XD80 43" || Nvidia Shield TV || OG PS4 || Xbox One S || GTX1080 Gaming PC
post #13 of 130 Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
(Sorry for DP, can't edit)

Also from what I know Obduction dropped HDR support shortly before release (and I also think it was suppossed to feature other Nvidia tech but didn't but I might be wrong on that).

Sony XD80 43" || Nvidia Shield TV || OG PS4 || Xbox One S || GTX1080 Gaming PC
post #14 of 130 Old 09-25-2016, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohacaramba View Post
I very much doubt Windows Media Player is able to do that. Can't you just put the footage on an USB drive and hook it up to your TV? (Or put your demos on Plex and stream them if that's more comfortable for you)

Trying to get HDR content playing from a PC is a hassle, only the Nvidia HDR ""demo"" worked for me so far but nothing else.
Yes, I could easily do that, but the point was really to make sure HDR from the PC is working for games that support it. I tried the Nvidia demo as well and My TV did not say anything about going into HDR mode. It did do some weird stuff a couple of times where it would not say it was going into hdr mode in the demo, but when I closed it I did get the HDR message and my desktop colors were all messed up. So I'm assuming I am able to get HDR if a game does support it. I hope at least, as that id my goal.And yes, I confirmed that Obduction dropped HDR. They said they plan to add it in the future though.
post #15 of 130 Old 09-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The only way to get a look at HDR on windows is to download the NVIDIA SDK,

It's in HDR10.

Bottom of the page
https://developer.nvidia.com/high-dy...ay-development
post #16 of 130 Old 10-01-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Only confirmed PC HDR game is mass effect for Dolby Vision. Rumor from other posters in the know, about 5 more Aaa games DV support coming soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #17 of 130 Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
Only confirmed PC HDR game is mass effect for Dolby Vision. Rumor from other posters in the know, about 5 more Aaa games DV support coming soon

Tomb Raider is confirmed in HDR10. Every game that use the Nvidia API (NVAPI) will support HDR10.

NVAPI is NVIDIA's core software development kit that allows direct access to NVIDIA GPUs and drivers on all windows platforms.

https://developer.nvidia.com/impleme...se-tomb-raider
https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d...orForGames.pdf

Last edited by Morille Tremblay; 10-01-2016 at 06:59 AM.
post #18 of 130 Old 10-01-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 592
That would be great- but the only developer with a release date (I hope i am wrong) is mass effect and DV only to support older cards also.

Since battlefield 1 is frostbite too we may see this sooner

I would like if hdr10 is supported, but DV can be done on 5 year old cards

DocACE911 on Steam, XBOX, PS4
"Kill Cancer or Die"
Custom Z9 Game Settings For SDR and HDR
Sony 75" Z9, Denon X4200, Definitive Technologies BP7002 + 9.1 ATMOS, PSV 18" sub
Loving Wife and 4 year old Son who tolerate this expense!
post #19 of 130 Old 11-08-2016, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi Jibbs, any news on that front?
I try to do the same with my LC6V and a GTX1060 without any success.
4K files are playing very well, very smooth, but no HDR, while if I play the same files on an USB drive directly on the TV, HDR is working just fine.
I tried with demo files downloaded here:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr
post #20 of 130 Old 12-09-2016, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I downloaded full 4K HDR move (56GB) looks to me blacks are not showing properly and colours are washed up:

Code:
i68.tinypic.com/2hn9weu.jpg
if any of you guys can play HDR correctly on PC let us know what player are you using?
post #21 of 130 Old 12-09-2016, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKaon View Post
I downloaded full 4K HDR move (56GB) looks to me blacks are not showing properly and colours are washed up:

Code:
if any of you guys can play HDR correctly on PC let us know what player are you using?
Sorry looks like I can't edit my own post so I have to quote it.
Film & TV app on Windows 10 plays it correctly:

Code:
i68.tinypic.com/214t2p.jpg
Can't post a direct link yet but sample picture can be accessed
post #22 of 130 Old 12-09-2016, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:

Code:
|It's not possible to output HDR metadata on WIndows. It's not HDR you're outputting, it's SDR.

Windows does not support HDR yet. Only exclusive fullscreen and special GPU API let it run 2 HDR game.

FOr video, you need to wait for Windows HDR. It's coming in 2017.
post #23 of 130 Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Wouldn't you need a GTX 2160? :-).
mpgxsvcd and Iggy SLO like this.
post #24 of 130 Old 12-12-2016, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Code:
Where you downloaded full hdr movie? There is none. At least for download.
There is a few uhd bluray rips on internet but you should known those are not in hdr and wcg. AACS 2.0 not cracked yet and there is no software solution on pc. Those movies was made by using a uhd player and a HDCP 2.2 stripper. But those movies looks darker than bluray but they are 4K. Also windows does not support hdr video yet. Games only with some newest gpu. But support is coming. Cyberlink Powerdvd certified to playback uhd blurays so 2017 will be interesting.
post #25 of 130 Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyhakan View Post
Where you downloaded full hdr movie? There is none. At least for download.
There is a few uhd bluray rips on internet but you should known those are not in hdr and wcg. AACS 2.0 not cracked yet and there is no software solution on pc. Those movies was made by using a uhd player and a HDCP 2.2 stripper. But those movies looks darker than bluray but they are 4K. Also windows does not support hdr video yet. Games only with some newest gpu. But support is coming. Cyberlink Powerdvd certified to playback uhd blurays so 2017 will be interesting.
There are a dozen of HDR movies.

Someone put HDR metadata to 4k movies (HDleader).

The problem is, the Metadata are random (He used the same for every movies) so the color are off and the contrast often broken.
post #26 of 130 Old 12-12-2016, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thank you for info. I had downloaded some of 4k movies but they not in hdr. My tv doesn't switch to hdr mode when they played from usb.
According from i read uhd movies doesn't remastered for same nit value. Some of them remastered for 1000nit some of them 4000nit and others are something else. So using same metadata will not give correct results but at least this a step.
post #27 of 130 Old 12-12-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyhakan View Post
Thank you for info. I had downloaded some of 4k movies but they not in hdr. My tv doesn't switch to hdr mode when they played from usb.
According from i read uhd movies doesn't remastered for same nit value. Some of them remastered for 1000nit some of them 4000nit and others are something else. So using same metadata will not give correct results but at least this a step.
Nah, look better example They have HDR metadata (use the key term HDleader and Warcraft for example), but like I said useless because they don't use the same one the real UHD used.... The Image still look cool from time to time however.

Nothing really great will happen until AACS 2.0 is down....or unless someone get how to copy transfer the real Metadata from UHD to RIP.
post #28 of 130 Old 12-12-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I also thought that Star Trek Beyond had a mastering issue where blacks were elevated on both the Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray... so even if the HDR metadata were correct, it would be washed out slightly.
zmarty likes this.
post #29 of 130 Old 12-19-2016, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohacaramba View Post

I found a 'demo' on Nvidia's site, which shows some pictures with various settings in HDR & that works ok (TV's HDR mode becomes enabled & you can select it). Is this the demo you're referring too or is there another one? Please provide link if different. TIA.
post #30 of 130 Old 12-19-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil7655 View Post
I found a 'demo' on Nvidia's site, which shows some pictures with various settings in HDR & that works ok (TV's HDR mode becomes enabled & you can select it). Is this the demo you're referring too or is there another one? Please provide link if different. TIA.
You can also download Shadow Warrior, it's in HDR.

There is no other Nvidia HDR demo, just their toolbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page