Best Netflix/Amazon scenes to see HDR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-20-2016, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Best Netflix/Amazon scenes to see HDR?

Hey folks...wanted to get some opinions on the best scenes between Netflix and Amazon to show off HDR. There's not a lot of HDR content there, but it would still take a while to watch it all.

Thinking about particular scenes or segments in things that either "pop" or really show off the advantages of HDR.

Unfortunately, I don't have a UHD blu ray player right now, and I have a Sony TV so no Vudu HDR yet. I'm sure UHD blu ray would provide the best examples.

I did download the HDR demos that are linked in the main thread, and loved those. Curious to see more of it in action in real content though.

I will throw in one...made it through The Do Over on Netflix. Really impressed with the scene when the boat was blown up in the dark. I'm not experienced enough with HDR to know how much of an HDR effect that was, but I haven't seen anything quite like it before.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-21-2016, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've only watched the first 2 episodes of Marco Polo on Netflix. However, there are many scenes that look spectacular. One of the best I think are of Kublai Khan when he is on his "throne". The subtle lighting and richness of the colors (especially his golden tunic) are fantastic.

One thing that doesn't come across well though in Marco Polo is their use of the shaky hand held camera effect (like in Jason Bourne movies). Some scenes are stationary and some use the shaky camera. I don't know why, but the camera movement in UHD comes across as "unnatural". Gladly, not all the scenes are shot like this.

LG OLED65B6P

Last edited by tpro8; 09-22-2016 at 09:59 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10180 Post(s)
Liked: 9165
On Netflix, chefs table France and Hibana Spark have some excellent and poppy looking hdr. Also, there's a test video on Netflix called Cosmos Laundromat that's beautiful looking, but people are reporting they can't find it.

Mad Dogs on amazon is very good, as is the pilot for "the tick", but overall I think netflix has passed amazon in hdr quality. Amazon seems to have a softer picture picture. Combining a sharp picture with hdr in my opinion gives more pop and a more "wow" picture.

At this point, the best is yet to come. Netflix has a good lineup of major potential coming out in the next few months.

post #4 of 15 Old 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
On Netflix, chefs table France and Hibana Spark have some excellent and poppy looking hdr. Also, there's a test video on Netflix called Cosmos Laundromat that's beautiful looking, but people are reporting they can't find it.

Mad Dogs on amazon is very good, as is the pilot for "the tick", but overall I think netflix has passed amazon in hdr quality. Amazon seems to have a softer picture picture. Combining a sharp picture with hdr in my opinion gives more pop and a more "wow" picture.

At this point, the best is yet to come. Netflix has a good lineup of major potential coming out in the next few months.
Wow, I just found Hibana Spark last night...that is some amazing looking video. You don't think reading the subject matter description that it would lend itself particularly to stunning visuals, but its nothing short of beautiful. I watched about a half hour of it before even thinking to turn on the subtitles. I don't really "get" the show, but it was hard to turn off.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Wow, I just found Hibana Spark last night...that is some amazing looking video. You don't think reading the subject matter description that it would lend itself particularly to stunning visuals, but its nothing short of beautiful. I watched about a half hour of it before even thinking to turn on the subtitles. I don't really "get" the show, but it was hard to turn off.
Yup, definitely Hibana Spark, it looks gorgeous in very bright scene and in dark scene.

Chef Tables France is less impressing, but very nice looking.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morille Tremblay View Post
Yup, definitely Hibana Spark, it looks gorgeous in very bright scene and in dark scene.

Chef Tables France is less impressing, but very nice looking.
Agree about Chef's Table. Absolutely nothing wrong with the quality, it looks very nice, but it's not something I would look at and immediately know I was watching an advanced picture technology.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I found and watched Cosmos Laundromat during a trial month of Netflix, but by the time I switched to get HDR content, it was gone. I'm wondering if there is somewhere else to find it. I enjoyed it, and I'd like to see it on my new 940D set.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #8 of 15 Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I found and watched Cosmos Laundromat during a trial month of Netflix, but by the time I switched to get HDR content, it was gone. I'm wondering if there is somewhere else to find it. I enjoyed it, and I'd like to see it on my new 940D set.
Its still there in Netflix, but not in any lists. It has to already be in your watchlist. I watched it yesterday.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-11-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2563 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
Daredevil has some of the best looking HDR i've ever seen.

Any scene with Fisk in it is just unbelievable. (especially the ones from his penthouse with huge windows looking out at the city... Just incredible)
post #10 of 15 Old 10-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Its still there in Netflix, but not in any lists. It has to already be in your watchlist. I watched it yesterday.
I guess I didn't add it to my watchlist during my trial month. I can't find it now. Seems odd, and this is one more reason I was never tempted to do Netflix before I got a new TV. Programming should be easy to find.

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #11 of 15 Old 10-11-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I guess I didn't add it to my watchlist during my trial month. I can't find it now. Seems odd, and this is one more reason I was never tempted to do Netflix before I got a new TV. Programming should be easy to find.
See if you can add it through your browser: https://www.netflix.com/title/80114804
post #12 of 15 Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
See if you can add it through your browser: https://www.netflix.com/title/80114804
Got it. I had to jump through some hoops, called Netflix Support, and the rep said they didn't have it anymore. I guess he was just searching for it like I was. Thanks!

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon 4520
Custom UFW-15 (2)
post #13 of 15 Old 10-12-2016, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Daredevil has some of the best looking HDR i've ever seen.

Any scene with Fisk in it is just unbelievable. (especially the ones from his penthouse with huge windows looking out at the city... Just incredible)
It's funny, I was just talking about this on the main HDR thread, because I finished the first season last night and moved on to the second season...still not in HDR.

Initially I was pretty underwhelmed with HDR with Daredevil because it didn't "pop" like some other things, and there just wasn't that much use of color. Also, most of it really had visible grain rather than sharpness which put me off a bit.

But watching over the course of season one, I really got to appreciate it and how essential it really was for such a dark show. And you are right that there were some occasional beautiful scenes, where some of the graininess faded away. Actually, the closing scene of Season 1 in the bright daylight was one of the most beautiful of the season to me. And the occasional explosions...the heroin den fire took my breath away momentarily.

I started to watch Season 2, without the HDR, and the loss of detail in the dark scenes just made it a no go for me after Season 1. I'm going to have to wait out the HDR.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-12-2016, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The Last Tycoon on Amazon is by far the best 4k HDR I have seen (no 4k player yet for me). And it was a good show. Look forward to the full season when released.

Watched the 1st season of Daredevil and it was good, but I wasn't super impressed with the HDR (maybe it was my set). I used my brothers account for that as his 2nd user, but netflix changed that to only allow premium users 4k, so I skipped season 2.

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
post #15 of 15 Old 09-23-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The best HDR I've seen so far is on Youtube. I can't wait for some of those people who do crazy science experiments in their garage to shoot in 4K HDR. My favorite is a short glass blowing video.

I just upgraded my Netflix account to get 4K and watched some of Daredevil. I love the HDR but, as others have mentioned, there is qui8te a bit of grain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page