Samsung QLED TVs First to Offer "CalMAN Ready" HDR Autocalibration - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by popyang45 View Post
do samsung q9 need Six-G = $2495 ???

and the Six-G not good for HDMI 2.1+ Video Bandwidth - 18 GBP/sec.
https://store.portrait.com/pattern-g...generator.html
You have to generate the required patterns (controlled by CalMAN) to do AutoCAL, if the Samsung don't have internal patterns that CalMAN can control then you need an external HDR pattern generator for that job.

You don't need HDMI 2.1 even for patch generation, since calibration will always be performed with static metadata. For example a 2160p24 10bit 10% Window patch has a bitrate of 167 kb/sec.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
So yeah, ummmm. Thanks for boosting the view and comment count on this thread guys. I am sure folks are totally fascinated by this discussion, which looks like a clone of the last such discussion you guys had in one of my threads that talked about calibration

Really exciting stuff, keep it up.
Yes Mark, it's better for all to know the truth/reality of the total cost, to make their own decisions about the correct gear, and not waste their money.
poppagene and Quebecker like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #33 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6600 Post(s)
Liked: 11366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Yes Mark, it's better for all to know the truth/reality of the total cost, to make their own decisions about the correct gear, and not waste their money.
Sure thing. You go right ahead then and protect people from figuring out the total cost for themselves, lol. I'm sure pros can sort through all this and make informed decisions.

It's not as if this news is all about a hobbyist buying a kit to calibrate one TV. And it's silly to assume that there won't be a solution for pattern generation. Seems like maybe you two are just bored, the discussion should be broader than what the cost of a particular kit is.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 05-19-2017 at 03:04 AM.

post #34 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure thing. You go right ahead then and protect people from figuring out the total cost for themselves, lol. I'm sure pros can sort through all this and make informed decisions.

It's not as if this news is all about a hobbyist buying a kit to calibrate one TV. And it's silly to assume that there won't be a solution for pattern generation. Seems like maybe you two are just bored, the discussion should be broader than what the cost of a particular kit is.
This is exactly why I have posted here 2-3 times that you will not need a pattern generator if CalMAN will control patterns generated from the TV Internally, since your article it's not covering such details, we will see about that when more details will be announced. Sure it will be great if external pattern generator will not be required.

Also I own CalMAN and I can test it out to see how it works when it will be available.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #35 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
Feel there are more than a few people that would take exception to the statement that this autocal will be more accurate than a pro. Is there some factual numbers to back that up?
We would never claim that AutoCal will provide better results than a pro calibrator, since we are manipulating the same controls. When we enable autocal for a display, we also give calibrators "Direct Display Control" where that can manually adjust all the calibration settings in the TV with a click of the mouse in CalMAN. So even for pro calibrators that prefer to do all the adjustment themselves, DDC save them lots of time by not having to use the remote to navigate the menus of the TVs during calibration.

AutoCal is not intended to replace Calibrators, it is intended to make things easier and more automated if they choose to use it. We have found it has always been most helpful for our Home Enthusiast customers that might not have as much experience with calibration, get great results.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison - CalMAN

10 Bit Gradient Test Patterns (HEVC) - Free Download
post #36 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
We would never claim that AutoCal will provide better results than a pro calibrator, since we are manipulating the same controls. When we enable autocal for a display, we also give calibrators "Direct Display Control" where that can manually adjust all the calibration settings in the TV with a click of the mouse in CalMAN. So even for pro calibrators that prefer to do all the adjustment themselves, DDC save them lots of time by not having to use the remote to navigate the menus of the TVs during calibration.

AutoCal is not intended to replace Calibrators, it is intended to make things easier and more automated if they choose to use it. We have found it has always been most helpful for our Home Enthusiast customers that might not have as much experience with calibration, get great results.
+1!!!!!!!! I hope you can add DDC for LG's in the future, it will be very helpful. Manual DDC saves a lot of time

post #37 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNayAV View Post
Think this exactly what that otherside of it is. For those that do go in depth, either pro calibrators or the dedicated hobbyist, this won't negate what you do but could be seen as an additional tool to speed up your work/make your work more efficient.
For me, it's not the cost of a pro calibration. I can't find a calibrator in my part of the country and none of them find it financially feasible to drive across great lengths of real estate to perform a calibration for me for any amount of money that I can actually afford.
post #38 of 52 Old 05-19-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I remember posting an idea like this in a "What do you want to see at CES" thread a few years ago and got laughed at

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #39 of 52 Old 05-20-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post
I remember posting an idea like this in a "What do you want to see at CES" thread a few years ago and got laughed at
Sorry to hear about that laughter. Glad it's happening

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #40 of 52 Old 05-20-2017, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
i'm really happy to see auto calibration hit the video side of things. the auto-eq's on receivers have forever changed what i now expect, and i'm sure once these are ironed out, the same will be true. the difference between calibrated and un-calibrated is quite obvious to me(and i imagine most enthusiasts), but the difference between a full-day manual calibration and a quick automatic one is negligible for me.

the only thing that's missing from this, is the whole thing being part of the package. Unfortunately, i don't expect good light meters to ever be as cheap as the mic's packaged in with receivers for their auto-eq's, so this might be the most logical way of doing it. i just hope that we can see some 3rd party support as well, so maybe the current meters and programs we're used to can be supported as well. i mean, i'm an enthusiast, but i'm also a cheap diyer. and the idea of buying a calman kit, while i have a perfectly good meter already makes it a tough sell. guess it depends on the pricing, but i don't imagine it'll be that cheap.

great for those who have wanted calibrations but haven't jumped into to purchasing a meter yet. if i hadn't, and i liked these tv's enough to buy one, i'd definitely be budgeting for the calman kit as well

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #41 of 52 Old 05-20-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i'm really happy to see auto calibration hit the video side of things. the auto-eq's on receivers have forever changed what i now expect, and i'm sure once these are ironed out, the same will be true. the difference between calibrated and un-calibrated is quite obvious to me(and i imagine most enthusiasts), but the difference between a full-day manual calibration and a quick automatic one is negligible for me.

the only thing that's missing from this, is the whole thing being part of the package.
...not the only thing! The pattern generator is also another very expensive piece of kit
http://calman.spectracal.com/autocal.html
Quote:
What is Needed?
AutoCal Calibration Kit
Samsung QLED Series Q7, Q8, or Q9 TVs
CalMAN Software
Windows PC to run CalMAN Software
SpectraCal C6 colorimeter or equivalent
Pattern Generator
Compatible Serial Cable

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #42 of 52 Old 05-20-2017, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
...not the only thing! The pattern generator is also another very expensive piece of kit
http://calman.spectracal.com/autocal.html
In every conversation I have had with the CalMAN folks as well as Samsung, it was noted that there will be an alternative to having to use a pricey pattern generator. Indeed, now that laptops and video cards for PCs are coming that support HDR, pattern generation could even come from the PC itself.

I also heard talk of having the necessary pattern simply be a video loop that you basically just sync with the meter. A bit slower that having a pattern generator change patterns for you at an optimal pace, but there's technically nothing unworkable about it. Could also do it with loops on a USB stick. The point is pattern generators are not the only option.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #43 of 52 Old 05-21-2017, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In every conversation I have had with the CalMAN folks as well as Samsung, it was noted that there will be an alternative to having to use a pricey pattern generator. Indeed, now that laptops and video cards for PCs are coming that support HDR, pattern generation could even come from the PC itself.
That's great news.

post #44 of 52 Old 05-29-2017, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Samsung QLED TVs First to Offer "CalMAN Ready" HDR Autocalibration

For current UHD titles the color space is 2020 not p3 As stated in your article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 90ls400; 05-29-2017 at 12:20 PM.
post #45 of 52 Old 05-29-2017, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ls400 View Post
For current UHD titles the color space is 2020 not p3 As stated in your article

Yes, understood. Mastered to DCI/P3 within the BT.2020 space. Post updated for clarity, thanks.
mrtickleuk and 90ls400 like this.

post #46 of 52 Old 05-29-2017, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Samsung QLED TVs First to Offer "CalMAN Ready" HDR Autocalibration

Quote:
Yes, understood. Mastered to DCI/P3 within the BT.2020 space. Post updated for clarity, thanks.

What do you think about calibrating to 2020 instead of P3? , UHD Blu-ray is coded for 2020. So we use that container and that the TV map within that vs using P3

Some TVs give you an option on the color space to use 2020 or p3 which one do you pick and why

Last edited by 90ls400; 05-29-2017 at 02:59 PM.
post #47 of 52 Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post
Whats funny is its not even new...

post #48 of 52 Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo85 View Post
Whats funny is its not even new...
Even funnier, the 2011 system used boring old ethernet. The 2017 system uses serial, and because few PCs have got a serial port any more, you need a mashup of USB-to-serial adaptors. And those things can be fraught with their own foibles.

However, HDR Auto Calibration, which is what this is, is new. As was made clear in the article. "CalMAN autocalibration functionality is not new. What’s new is its application to HDR, previously it could only perform SDR calibration."

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-11-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #49 of 52 Old 07-11-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
However, HDR Auto Calibration, which is what this is, is new. As was made clear in the article. "CalMAN autocalibration functionality is not new. What’s new is its application to HDR, previously it could only perform SDR calibration."
HDR AutoCal was not available at past because there were not available HDR displays with DDC controls at past.

Has anyone able to use latest CalMAN with Samsung HDR AutoCAL? ...to post some pre/post calibration reports and report how many reads/time it took or other details.

post #50 of 52 Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Anything new to report here?

--Carl
post #51 of 52 Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
Anything new to report here?
Yes. I've used it and it is very effective. It removes a lot of tedium from the calibration process and yields a great result. At some point I will probably find a good context to post about doing an AutoCal calibration on a QLED.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #52 of 52 Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes. I've used it and it is very effective. It removes a lot of tedium from the calibration process and yields a great result. At some point I will probably find a good context to post about doing an AutoCal calibration on a QLED.
Great! I look forward to it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
calman , hdr , qled , Samsung

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page