What's the best VR experience now? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 483
What's the best VR experience now?

I've been considering a VR rig, but there doesn't seem to be a clear leader in the currently available options. I've been slightly leaning towards the PSVR because I've historically been a console gamer. That said, I would have to pick up a PS4 along with the rest of the gear.

Between the Rift and Vive, they both seem to have pros and cons as well, including the need for an updated PC.

What about titles? Is there a killer title that makes the decision easy? Which of the options has the best games so far? I currently have a data cap, so I'd prefer to stay away from download only options if that's even possible.
imagic likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-07-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've had a HTC Vive since launch, got the PSVR at launch as well. Though the PSVR was a pretty good experience too, I sold it off as the Vive simply was a better overall experience with the roomscale system, plus a GTX 1080 to push graphics helps.

Experiencewise, there are many many good ones. Personal favorites are Vanishing realms (dungeon crawler with pretty good melee combat), The Lab (Valves demo of lots of different experiences in VR) and Batman: Arkham VR (Basically, you're batman, you're the freaking batman! (no fighting though).)

Batman: Arkham VR is available on all three platforms, Vanishing realms and The lab work for both the Vive and the Rift via SteamVR.

As for killer app, there isn't one as of yet imo. Honestly, other than the PSVR (if you already own a PS4), I wouldn't recommend getting into VR just yet, as there aren't enough "killer apps", unless you are an enthusiast and are ok with short experiences, and a very high price of entry (HMD and a beefy computer).
ImpliedConsent, J_P_A and Mounta1n like this.
post #3 of 41 Old 07-07-2017, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Good info!

I feel like I've been waiting for VR most of my gaming life But I've learned over the years that content makes the experience more than the hardware it's on.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!
The Plains Theater Has Begun
Pro Designed Room - Measurements Before/During/After Treatments.

post #4 of 41 Old 07-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I also went for the HTC Vive. I got mine about four months ago. If you haven't tried any of them, they are definitely first generation hardware. They make the screen-door on an old 480P projector on a big screen look good by comparison.

The Vive has the best room-scale and that's what VR is all about, although in the last few months the Rift seems to have mostly caught up in this regard. The other advantage of the Vive is that there seems to be a steady stream of upgrades in the pipeline like a wireless adapter should be available in the next couple of months (The wires connecting the headset to the computer are the real Achilles heel of room-scale.), and tracker units that can be attached to accessories like musical instruments or specialized weapons for games or even your body to track the movement of your feet. Lots of people in the VR discussion sites piss and moan about all the incremental costs and the price of a high-end PC, but if you are hanging out on a home theater forum, the whole package is much less than a cost of a theater, at least my VR rig is less than a quarter of the cost of my theater.

I agree that the killer-app hasn't appeared yet for VR. I am extremely prone to motion-sickness and can't play regular video games. Fortunately, if I'm careful to stick to games where you just teleport to move or games where you stay within the confines of the playing space, VR doesn't bother me the same way regular video games do. But since I have never played regular video games, the games that are going to excite the hardcore gamer types don't particularly excite me.

My favorite game is paintball in RecRoom (a free app). They have 5 different courses. The game is played with one to four players on a team and you can either play capture-the-flag or just a shooting free-for-all to see who can get the most hits within a 10 minute game. Each of the five courses covers approximately a two city block by three city block area and are filled with a variety of buildings and terrain to provide cover as you move about. You can easily forget you are playing in your house and start to believe you are really moving around in a big outdoor space. And it is nice to play against other real people rather than some game A.I.

At least with the Vive, everything is download only from the Steam Website. In four months I've downloaded at least 50 gigabytes of content. So that might be an issue if you are on a limited data plan.

I believe we will probably be seeing a second generation system from Vive somewhere in the spring or summer of next year. This should have double the resolution of the current headsets, 2nd generation motion controllers, the headset should be wireless, and it should incorporate eye-tracking. So if you aren't in a rush, it might make sense to hold off until then. Plus, that gives more time to get more and better games out there.

Do I wish I had held off for the second generation? Not really. I'm 60 years old and you never know how long you will remain fit enough to take full advantage of these things. Plus I think my new computer will probably be sufficient to drive a second generation headset. Therefore if I end up replacing my headset in another year for $1,000, it won't really bother me.

Duane
catonic and J_P_A like this.
post #5 of 41 Old 07-07-2017, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Have never tried the Vive or the Rift but am happy with the PSVR I do have, Lower resolution screen by a small margin but from what I hear more pixels causing less screen door effect. I also don't have a desire to walk around playing video games so all the room scale stuff I really don't care about, Also don't have my equipment in a room that I would care about room scale since there is no room for such thing. Happy just sitting on my chair playing VR myself. I also hear the way the PSVR attaches to your head is far superior to the other 2. I hear the other 2 can move around if your moving your head a bunch. The PSVR stays in place, doesn't move and is comfortable. I personally want Farpoint with the aimcontroller but have not been able to get a hold of it at normal price for a month now!
J_P_A likes this.
post #6 of 41 Old 07-07-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I'm a PSVR owner. Let me quote a post I made earlier about my experience with the Vive:

Quote:
I recently got to try out the Vive at a friend's house; he spent about three hours showing me various games. I figured I'd jot down my impressions here, for those who haven't had the opportunity.

From a comfort/ease-of-use perspective, the Vive definitely feels like a hobbyist product. It's harder to put on and adjust; you have to fiddle with Velcro straps on the left and right sides, and the visor is heavy enough that the straps have to be tight to keep it from sliding down. There was an uncomfortably sense of face-squeezing after a while. Sony's experience with designing consumer products is obvious.

I also experienced a surprising number of glitches. My friend was a little embarrassed; he's shown the Vive to numerous people without a problem, but the day I tried it, there were many technical issues: I was regularly thrown out of an experience and returned to a loading area. He thought it might have been a result of recent updates. (He also mentioned that he has been unable to run Allumette at all, which runs beautifully on PSVR.)

The level of visual detail is unquestionably better than the PSVR, thanks to the horsepower of a high-end PC. I can't speak to how much better the motion controls are, because I have not had major problems with the Move controllers. The Vive's room-scale capabilities allow you to walk around in a limited area, which is definitely cool, but also increases the risk of tripping over the cables. If they can make a wireless headset that doesn't increase the lag, that will be a big benefit. Most of the games I tried still used a "teleport" mechanic to allow you to move more than a few feet, which worked very well. (There was one that didn't, so you moved through a series of tiny rooms arranged so that you were essentially walking in circles.)

I thought the Vive's biggest advantage was probably the open ecosystem. Google Earth VR is super cool, but Sony will probably never allow it onto the Playstation platform. And I was impressed by the range of free games that are available. Valve's collection of mini-games is far more varied than Sony's Playroom VR; it includes an archery tower-defense game and a 3D bullet-hell-style space shooter. And there are plenty of indie studios who are making free games; I tried a climbing game and a social Pictionary-style game, both of which I'm told are very popular. And there's a paid game in Steam Early Access that's a fantasy RPG, and for $20 it seems to have a lot of content.

I think the trade-offs between the Vive and the PSVR are the same as those between PC gaming and console gaming: more expensive, more configuration hassles, cutting-edge performance. The Vive is cool, but the PSVR suits me just fine.
If you already have a PS4, the PSVR would be an easy recommendation, but if you don't, I agree that there's no killer app for getting into the whole thing just yet. Farpoint is a good first-person shooter for PSVR. Resident Evil 7 is entirely playable in VR, and at the moment it's only on PSVR, although it'll come to Rift and Vive soon. I think we'll see a lot more cool stuff soon.
J_P_A likes this.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Had the Vive for almost a year now. I go through waves of using it quite a bit and then not.

I've recently been spending a lot of time in Rec Room (free) playing paint ball and the quest games. Hit or miss with respect to the number of kids playing it, but its still fun.

Pavlov is another good one - think Counter Strike: Source but in VR

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is awesome. Seated only but still a lot of fun.

Vanishing Realms is worth the buy. That game was the first one I really lost myself in VR and got totally immersed in it. Nothing like rounding a corner and a 8 foot tall skeleton is looming over you.

Chair in the Room: Greenwater is top of the list as well. Suspenseful and immersive.

Call of the Starseed is another one that really pulls you into it as well.

A recent one that has AAA quality that I loved playing through was "Form". It isn't very long but it reminds me of a VR "The Room" puzzle-style game. Worth the money.

Space Pirate Trainer is always a favorite as well.

lots of others...

Anyway with respect to Vive vs Rift, you're bound to get different opinions based on whatever ecosystem the person chose to buy into (ala Windows vs Linux, iPhone vs Android.. etc). I've used both and just enjoyed the built in room-scale experience the Vive came out with.

I think HTC forced Facebook's hand in their aggressive release schedule with the Vive. They came out of the gates with room-scale support. Rift tacked it on, and it does indeed feel tacked on. However, I like the Rifts touch controllers MUCH better than the Vive's wands. That being said, the game will change when Valve releases its hardware. They're slated for the "knuckles" controllers as well as improved lighthouses and we'll likely see several new HMDs in the next 2 years.

Growing up in the era of "Lawnmower Man" its exciting to see VR finally becoming a thing.
J_P_A likes this.

November 2015 HT of the Month: The Vortex Theater
My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build

Last edited by ClemsonJeeper; 07-08-2017 at 07:56 AM.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-08-2017, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
...Resident Evil 7 is entirely playable in VR, and at the moment it's only on PSVR, although it'll come to Rift and Vive soon.
Is that confirmed? My assumption has been that RE7 would eventually show up on Vive & Rift, but I don't recall any official statement on that, let alone an indication of how soon.

RE7 really is a killer app for VR - a full-length game, with AAA production values, that not only works beautifully in VR but is much, much scarier there. That's the paradox, though - it's so intense in VR that a large number of potential players will play about thirty minutes of it and then just "Nope!" out of the whole thing completely.

Outside of that, games on PSVR (I don't have a Vive or Rift) that friends & I have had a ball with are (in no particular order):

• Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  • Star Trek: Bridge Simulator
  • Rez Infinite
  • Headmaster
  • Batman: Arkham VR
  • I Expect You To Die
  • Wayward Sky
  • Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
  • Tumble VR
  • Statik

Outside of Resident Evil 7, none is really a killer app, and some even work perfectly well as a non-VR game, but they've all been lots of fun to play.
Mikazaru and J_P_A like this.
post #9 of 41 Old 07-09-2017, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I believe most of these PSVR exclusives (other than first party, of course), are timed. Batman: Arkham VR was 6 months, same with BattleZone, IIRC Resident Evil 7 is rumored to be 1 year.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-09-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I've become quite the VR fan, to the point that I now own all 3 of the main headsets (PSVR, Rift, Vive).

Right now, I'm recommending that if you have a PS4/PS4Pro that you start with the PSVR. It's a good piece of kit for the price. It is still my favorite lens/screen despite being a bit lower res. The lack of fresnel lenses is a big part of this. The motion tracking is without question the inferior of the three. This can get you started in VR for the lowest entry price.

If you're not a console gamer and want a PC variant, then I am recommending the Rift. It has a lower price point. Has the better motion controllers (Touch). Has less screen door than the Vive. Has more comfort. Has native support for the Oculus store while also having support for essentially every SteamVR title. Last year I would not have recommended the Rift due to them not supporting Roomscale, but now they do. In my 3m x 4m space my Rift is indistinguishable from my Vive. Note that I did buy a 3rd sensor. Also, if you don't have a PC, there are often Rift+PC deals for around $1000, albeit it is a PC that is on the lowest end of the spectrum.

I am only recommending the Vive if you have a super large playspace or are Anti-Facebook/Oculus. Many people are. I do think the Vive has the most potential, given all of the mods, but my biggest concern is the lack of software that leverages the hardware. The Vive lighthouses are a better tracking solution, but there aren't any games that requires them. If they play the same on the Rift, for less money, then why? With a really large playspace the Rift may not hold up so well in the tracking. According to SteamVR data only a very very tiny portion of the community have such a large space. If you are sold on the Vive, it's still a great experience. I'm just making recommendations. Once the knuckles controllers come out, it'll be even better.

Also, I do think we will see another Lighthouse headset (From LG) before year's end or very early in 2018. The hardware has already been shown off months ago and looked basically commercial at that time. It appeared to be a big improvement over the Vive in terms of how the headset can flip-up from your face.

This fall we will also start seeing the release of the Microsoft affiliated headsets from Acer, Lenovo, Dell, HP, ect. This may disrupt the market.

All in all, the VR industry is still figuring things out. 6 months from now things could look different. If you are interested in VR, and want to jump in NOW, it’s why I recommend the PSVR/Rift as lower cost. The Vive is an investment, being the highest price point plus you will probably want the deluxe headstrap (+$100) and the knuckles controllers when released (unknown price), while staring down the release of the LG headset which may do it all for the same $800 (or less).

TL;DR – All headsets are good. Can’t go “wrong” with any of them. Do to upcoming hardware releases I recommend PSVR for console gamers, and Rift for PC gamers in order to keep cost down while we see how things look 6 months from now.

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL/Steam : ScubaSteve2365 - PC = i7-4790k, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB Ram, 500G SSD, 14TB HDDs
My VR Podcast on Youtube - VR Roundtable - Vive, Playstation VR, and Rift Owner
post #11 of 41 Old 07-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Oculus+touch is $400 right now. How can you beat that? I'm very tempted, but adamant on holding out for the gen 2 wave.
RLBURNSIDE and Mounta1n like this.
post #12 of 41 Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had Rift since January. $400 is a steal for all the gear IMO....even if it's just to play Robo-Recall!
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #13 of 41 Old 07-10-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Tried all 3. My brother in law owns the Vive. Honestly, it's the PSVR for me in terms of best value. Plus it all comes down to content and games and the PSVR appears to have a robust road map of games. Honestly, the one thing that disappointing me with all of the unites was the screen door effect. These units are all expensive and it's already making me long for the next generation of hardware.

Having said that having a blast with the PSVR. Despite the shortcoming I still get immersed in the games and the worlds. It's still an absolute blast IMO.
post #14 of 41 Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the PSVR but am finding that I don't really want to fire it up... I'm hoping that we'll get more than just games and some experiences like deep sea diving or as another mentioned, Google Earth type experiences.
post #15 of 41 Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I am not a gamer, but I love hometheater and music. I am sure that I would love the immersion that this technology offers.

Would I throw my money away if I were to buy into this technology and play no games at all? is there anything else to enjoy besides games that would make it worth to purchase?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #16 of 41 Old 07-12-2017, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Monday morning, I woke up to find the Oculus Rift with Touch selling for $399.99 . I was like WTF? I was within one single click of ordering one directly from Oculus, but right before hitting that final click I thought, wait a minute. Best Buy carries the Rift, maybe I could just buy it there.

I drove to the nearest Best Buy, and whatta ya know... They got a single Rift plus Touch left in stock. Grabbed that puppy in a New York minute. Also came with a code for EVE: Valkyrie on the receipt.

Of course, found out today that there was an even more amazing Amazon deal, but it was one of those kinds of deals where you had to be online at the precise moment, or it was sold out. So, I'm not going to worry about not getting the Amazon deal too much, because it was there one minute and gone the next. It was like a Black Friday type of thing. Anybody that did get in on that, congrats.

I've been playing Robo Recall and The Mage's Tale, now natively on the Rift, and my goodness it's such a dramatic improvement for me. It's not just the improved controls, although that is a HUGE part of it. It's also the Asynchronous SpaceWarp that Oculus is using. It's what's allowed them to downgrade their specs to a GTX 960 as an entry level GPU. I have a 970, and my 970 really struggled with The Mage's Tale. Even Robo Recall had some problems. But that was playing on my HTC Vive via revive. Now that I'm using a real Oculus Rift, the experience is so much better. It's been well worth all the money I've shelled out, because I can enjoy a bunch of these great Oculus games way better than I was enjoying them before.

Is it a little bit ridiculous that I own 3 separate HMD's just to play all the VR games? Sure. It's a bit ridiculous. I feel a bit spoiled. I do run a VR gaming website, so I guess I have somewhat of an excuse but still..
john2910, RLBURNSIDE and Keithian like this.
post #17 of 41 Old 07-12-2017, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
I am not a gamer, but I love hometheater and music. I am sure that I would love the immersion that this technology offers.

Would I throw my money away if I were to buy into this technology and play no games at all? is there anything else to enjoy besides games that would make it worth to purchase?
Yes... but that said, you can view movies as if they're on a giant projection screen; so I guess that's the only reason to buy in your case.
post #18 of 41 Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 AM
pnw
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

+1
post #19 of 41 Old 07-12-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

Right now I don't think it's worth it to get a VR setup unless you're a gamer. There are a variety of non-gaming VR experiences, including 360-degree "you are there" videos, but not enough to justify the purchase of hundreds of dollars of dedicated hardware. Instead, you could buy something like the Samsung Gear VR, which lets you use a smartphone; that's a lot cheaper, and will let you enjoy the 360-degree videos.
post #20 of 41 Old 07-13-2017, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Is it a little bit ridiculous that I own 3 separate HMD's just to play all the VR games? Sure. It's a bit ridiculous. I feel a bit spoiled. I do run a VR gaming website, so I guess I have somewhat of an excuse but still..
If you enjoy it and can afford it, where's the harm?

I've been having a lot of fun with my PSVR and that has revived my itch to get back into PC gaming; the $399 Rift is making it even more tempting. But trying to get a grip on all the hardware options is dizzying and downright discouraging. I don't want to build my own PC and want something that will still be viable 12-18 months from now but I'm bogged down in specs. I guess an Intel i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and a Nvidia GTX1080 would be a pretty safe bet but even with those specs there are so many variations of motherboards, CPUs and so forth that I just can't bring myself to commit to a box. And the cases themselves are absolutely massive.

And while that Rift sale is tempting, part of me also wants to wait to see what the Windows 10 VR headsets will be like when they get released.

I guess this is why I've stuck with consoles for so long.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP

Last edited by TonyDP; 07-13-2017 at 04:39 PM.
post #21 of 41 Old 07-13-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
If you enjoy it and can afford it, where's the harm?

I've been having a lot of fun with my PSVR and that has revived my itch to get back into PC gaming; the $399 Rift is making it even more tempting. But trying to get a grip on all the hardware options is dizzying and downright discouraging. I don't want to build my own PC and want something that will still be viable 12-18 months from now but I'm bogged down in specs. I guess an Intel i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM and a Nvidia GTX1080 would be a pretty safe bet but even with those specs there are so many variations of motherboards, CPUs and so forth that I just can't bring myself to commit to a box. And the cases themselves are absolutely massive.

And while that Rift sale is tempting, part of me also wants to wait to see what the Windows 10 VR headsets will be like when they get released.

I guess this is why I've stuck with consoles for so long.
If you can play lego's you can build your own PC. Seriously, it's like putting together a lego set. There are some great videos that will walk you through the process step by step. Also, you'll build a much better PC, for a much cheaper price. You'll get all the best parts, and have a really solid beast of a gaming PC, compared to buying some all in one package. Neogaf has a PC thread that has all kinds of links and guides that will walk you through the process.

Another huge bonus is that it should end up actually being quite fun. (the process of deciding what to buy and then actually building it) If you have a Microcenter within driving range of where you live, it's even better.
post #22 of 41 Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
I got my Rift bundle on special coming in on monday, can't wait! I coded the Rift all last year and the Starbreeze earlier this year, and of course the Starbreeze is much, much better in terms of field of view and resolution and immersion, which makes a massive difference, but I don't like the 60hz limit. Seriously, they are using two HDMI 1.4 cables, one for each screen, and it's wired too which makes the entire thing kind of annoying.
They could use a single HDMI 2.0 cable to get 2.5K resolution (1440p) at 60hz or two of them to do 1440p120 PER EYE. Now wouldn't that have been something.

Anyway there is a lot to look forward to including the standalone Rift next year, the Gear VR2, the new HTC DayDream with inside out tracking and eye tracking and much higher resolution (GearVR2 as well).

I bought the Rift because it's on special and some awesome looking games just came out and I was tired of waiting for Gen 2. There's a space one, can't remember the name, you're a robot on a space station. It's Rift exclusive. I'd say go Rift for PC 1st gen, more titles and it's lighter on the head and of course the Touch controllers are awesome.

I don't actually believe room-scale is all that fun while you're tethered to your PC. I've seen people trip over it during demos. Not fun. Just the possibility of that happening takes me completely out of the experience and reminds me I'm in a room likely to injure myself playing a stupid game if I'm not careful. Inside out tracking and wireless PC tethering, plus eye tracking, foveated rendering, SLI VR (one graphics card per eye), all this stuff is coming soon.
post #23 of 41 Old 07-13-2017, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nobody has mentioned racing games. iracing, project cars and Assetto Corsa are amazing in VR. I bought a rift just for this. I got back into Elite Dangerous, and never raced much after that, but I knew it was always there when I was ready for it. Elite is also great.

Then I had surgery, and haven't really played games since. The time I was sick and recovering broke my streak, and I just lost interest. I'm the type to get burned out and take long breaks, so I'll pick it back up when I'm ready. For me there definitely was a WOW factor, and that faded. Low resolution did not matter, the experience far out-ways the technical limits.
Hmmm... getting the urge.

Klipsch RM-15M Bookshelf for Mains, ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX Sound Card with upgraded op amps, and a Harman Kardon AVR 1565 5.1-channel, 70-Watt
post #24 of 41 Old 07-14-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
Got my Rift bundle from Prime day (just the Rift, the Touch arrive tomorrow).
First impressions are good, especially for driving simulation (I love Live For Speed and the Rift really improves the experience, I also use a Logitech G27 so it's VERY realistic).
Most of the games I tried both on the Oculus Store and Steam VR are OK but not mind blowing. I was very disappointed that the teaser of Resident Evil 7 on Steam doesn't support VR. I thought it wasn't a PSVR exclusive anymore.
Also disappointed that I couldn't get Redbull Air Race to lauch. It installs but crashes on launch.
I'm waiting to get the Touch tomorrow to try Robo Recall as I'm hoping it will be free when the Touch are connected.
Only trying free games because I don't know if I'll keep it or not. Curious to try DCS world as I love simulations.
I haven't received my 1080 TI yet, but I was very surprised to see that the experience on my old HD7870 was fine, at least with the games I played. I was expecting it to be awful.
My PC is fairly old too, Asus P8P67Pro, 8Gb 1600, 3770K@4Ghz, Intel SSD. I was expecting it to not work until I installed the 1080 TI, and it's not the case.
I don't like the headset as I have to wear glasses otherwise it's all blurry, and even with my glasses, I find the picture can be fuzzy, even with the headset adjusted vertically and the lens distance set properly.
No nausea (yet), which is good.
I got the bundle at a very good price, so I will probably keep it, but it does feel very first gen, the resolution is poor, the picture is fuzzy and the cables are a disgrace.
I wasn't able to use my HDMI to DVI passive adaptor (black screen), so I've ordered an active HDMI to DP adapter which is supposed to be compatible (it's full bandwidth HDMI 2.0, so should be fine for a while).
Anyone not in a hurry should probably wait for the 2.0 next year. If it is wireless with improved resolution (no idea how they would achieve that!), it will be a much better experience, hopefully cheaper too. I hope they lose the Fresnel lenses too!

Last edited by Manni01; 07-14-2017 at 04:49 PM.
post #25 of 41 Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I do like my Oculus Rift touch, I would recommend getting the two extra sensors. Made a huge difference in tracking. Before I got the extra sensors I would have issues in RoboRecall not always being able to grab my shotguns. After I got them I almost never have issues grabbing my guns. I looked at it this way. I could buy the Rift touch plus two extra sensors for less the the Vive. With four sensors I find that the Rift tracks better then the Vive. I do like the touch controller but I have large hands and after a while of play I find that my hands do start to cramp up. I wish they had thicker handles. Over all I am happy with my purchas.
post #26 of 41 Old 07-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I think that's a big reason why the Rift/Touch bundle was on sale. Competition is coming.

Even a moderate resolution bump would be nice. I might build a new PC for video editing, and it would of course be powerful enough for VR gaming as well. If the new headsets have better comfort and resolution, I'm in.

Getting ready for the jump into full-on theater build
post #27 of 41 Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 42
best VR experience is VR Porn! virtualrealporn.com + onyx/pearl
post #28 of 41 Old 07-19-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg7321 View Post
I do like my Oculus Rift touch, I would recommend getting the two extra sensors. Made a huge difference in tracking. Before I got the extra sensors I would have issues in RoboRecall not always being able to grab my shotguns. After I got them I almost never have issues grabbing my guns. I looked at it this way. I could buy the Rift touch plus two extra sensors for less the the Vive. With four sensors I find that the Rift tracks better then the Vive. I do like the touch controller but I have large hands and after a while of play I find that my hands do start to cramp up. I wish they had thicker handles. Over all I am happy with my purchas.
You've got 4 sensors?

Hmm, maybe I should try 4. I could probably be more aggressive with my playspace size if I had 4 of them. Just put each in the 4 corners beaming down.
post #29 of 41 Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
You've got 4 sensors?

Hmm, maybe I should try 4. I could probably be more aggressive with my playspace size if I had 4 of them. Just put each in the 4 corners beaming down.
in my opinion 4 sensors are a must. Make sure you have enough usb 3.0 ports or if you buy a Pcie Card you get one of the recommended cards
post #30 of 41 Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Oculus+touch is $400 right now. How can you beat that? I'm very tempted, but adamant on holding out for the gen 2 wave.
you're going to be waiting quite a long time. The hardware isn't there yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page