AVS Forum banner

Atlanta area HT Meet?

4K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  ambesolman 
#1 ·
Anything going on in the Atlanta, GA area any time soon? I'd be more than willing to host, but my theater only seats 3 in comfort plus a couple more using temporary seating.

#2 ·
Stephen,

There used to be a group of folks that met here in Atlanta. Great group of guys. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to theaters that were all DIY, even down to the speakers and to some really nice professionally done ones.

But the group died out a year or two ago. Not sure why interest was lost. I suspect that home theaters became more mainstream.

Perhaps you can generate some interest.

#3 ·
Might be tough given this thread is 2 months old and only has one reply. Anyone else in the ATL area, or even GA/AL/SC/TN want to try to put together something? I'm more than willing to organize if there's interest, but my place will only hold 3, maybe 5 or 6 with some temp seating.

#4 ·
I know this is a bit late, but I'm about 3.5 hours away in TN. I may be interested if you get something together. I just had a good size subwoofer meet at my house last month. It was a lot of fun. If I may make a suggestion...If you have a specific interest (projectors, speakers, etc.) it may be better to hold a equipment specific meet. I had a general HT meet posted on here for litterally over a year and only had a few people interested and nothing ever got set up. After I saw someone else hold a subwoofer meet in WI to great success I decided to have one for the south and had people drive up to 8 hours all the way from New Orleans. I also had companies that were kind enough to bring/ship subs from GA and CA. Danley Sound Labs brought 3 great subwoofers up for it.

I'll subscribe to this thread to let me know if you get something going, and if you want any suggestions let me know. It really is a great time, although it's a bit like taking a group from an AA meeting on a field trip to the Jack Daniels distillery. We all have our vices, and home theater stuff is mine.

#6 ·
At least you have met a goal. There are tons of full on theaters in Nashville and very few people from here on the forums. We can't even organize to be apathetic. In fact, from my meet I had here in TN, I had one person from Nashville that's on the board.

#7 ·
One of the issues might be driving distance. I'm in Woodstock, the OP is in Douglasville, and another poster is in Alpharetta. That's a lot of driving in typical Atlanta traffic
especially given current gas prices.

Regardless, I would enjoy meeting other HT enthusiasts. Perhaps we could get one or more of the local HT companies to sponsor a regular meet.

Cheers,

jr

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-734 /forum/post/16549973

One of the issues might be driving distance. I'm in Woodstock, the OP is in Douglasville, and another poster is in Alpharetta. That's a lot of driving in typical Atlanta traffic
especially given current gas prices.

Regardless, I would enjoy meeting other HT enthusiasts. Perhaps we could get one or more of the local HT companies to sponsor a regular meet.

Cheers,

jr

If there is a common purpose in the meet (sub shootout, projector shootout, etc.) there is a better chance people will show up...if it's posted in the proper forum (subwoofers, projectors, etc). I know we have this forum to post for area meets, but I know a lot of people don't look in here. I don't often at all, as I like hanging around the DIY speakers and subwoofers forums. Like I've said about my sub shootout, people drove to my place about 45 minutes outside of nashville from as far away as new orleans.

There's always a chance that a company would sponsor an event, but I bet you would have a better shot at having a certain company's product represented at an event. Possibly with a representative along to better explain the product. Worx Audio and Danley Sound Labs being the companies that sent and/or brought items to my meet.

#10 ·
Anyone interested in a meet? I noticed this died out last year, thought I'd give it a shot again since fall is approaching.

#12 ·
I would be up for one. I'm still planning everything out for my space and aquiring materials. It would be cool to see what others have done

#15 ·
Not in atlanta but have hosted a meet before and am halfway thinking of having another. Haven't decided when or a format yet. My last one was subwoofers. Thinking maybe speakers this time.

#16 ·
Cool, you're in easy striking distance for me, and it would be a good excuse for me to take a nice spirited motorcycle ride through the N. Georgia mountains
If you do set something up, definitely let us know.

I'm certainly open to hosting as well. I don't have a huge theater room, but could accomodate 8-10. I'm also open to traveling, or assisting with setup or audio/video calibrations.

#17 ·
My room isn't huge or much to look at but I have a few decent components in there. I have had a meet at my place before and I believe through the day we had around 20 people over for that meet. Check my sig for that thread. Quite a few pics and a couple videos too. If I can find a place to host huge files I will upload the rest of the videos. Once I get home I will post a link to the speaker meet I am having.

#20 ·
Reading this thread, i suppose meetings in atlanta didnt take off..? :(

Please contact me directly as i am interested in this.

Nah, be nice if it did though. We're about to move and hopefully can get something going in my new basement next year. If I can get it presentable I'll let y'all know.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

#25 ·
I am indeed in at least this general neck of the woods... which is to say, I am within the city limits :) It seems that most "Atlanta" people are not actually in the city or even inside the perimeter. That is probably one of the main reasons that there hasn't been a lot of interest in get-togethers around here. Douglasville is not exactly local to Cumming, or Stockbridge to Acworth.

In any case, I am indeed still building. It's been a long time going... In terms of budget, I think it's hard to estimate for a variety of reasons - some of which Tim highlighted. I have lost track of my spending long ago, but I think I am in general on the budget I had set for myself after I got good and started. I initially thought I could do what I wanted for 15-20 thousand dollars. After I got about a year into it, I realized it would probably be 30. It might creep to 35, but I am no longer tracking. The way I figure, you should look at it like a major recreational investment. What would you spend for a boat, or a pool or an extra car? It could be anywhere from $5000 to ten times that, depending on your tastes and expectations, as well as you willingness and ability to save by doing it yourself. If you are the sort to want a new BMW, you'll probably spend that much on a theater. If you set your sites on a 10-year-old Miata as a super investment in your leisure, you might get away with the same budget for a theater.

As Tim said, if you have some ideas (priorities, constraints, an approximate floorplan), you can post and get lots of feedback and guidance.

#29 ·
Oh ok! I am near snellville, GA. Man would love to get some pointers from you as I am thinking about a HT DIY build. I will shoot you a PM to connect. Anyone else you know that is active on the forum from Atlanta area?

#32 ·
Hi Aberk, I have been following your build thread and all i can says is wow :eek:. I would love to check it out when it's completed.

I am in Acworth Ga.

Femi

#33 ·
I'm in Alpharetta area. Also interested in ATL area meet up if anyone is hosting. (I will host some day... but my raw drywall isn't very impressive).

Started by build a few years ago... stopped... and now restarting and and wanting to go turbo mode (definitely by year end is the goal). Feeling overwhelmed with decisions and choices.

#35 ·
I've been to a few AVS gtgs. Normally there's some libations, grub, shop talk, music and movie demo time and even some room and/or speaker/sub measuring. All of it is fun to me though too much time running sweeps can kill the vibe and get tedious and boring. I'm sure a pool table and ping pong table could elevate things to another level[emoji41]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.