Northern California HT Meet (Sacramento Area) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 291
For anyone interested in hearing a full JTR speaker setup first hand, I will be having an AV Meet at my home near Sacramento on Saturday October 10th. I will be EQing the system using my SMS-1 and the Audyssey MultiEQ in my Integra SSP’s Audyssey Multi EQ. I put this system together with the idea of creating a system that has the headroom and dynamics necessary to do HT and still do a good job with music. A link to my the HT Build Thread will provide some details on the equipment and room layout. I hope to have the system sounding as good as is possible in the space.

Keith Yates who lives nearby has indicated he will also attend. As many of you know, Keith is a veritable fount of AV knowledge and his company has designed and built some of the finest Home Theaters in the country.

The cherry on top of this meet is that Vivitek has agreed to provide the new H9080HD LED based projector for demo. We will be using this unit instead of my JVC HD100 (RS2) for the video side demos. The F9080HD is just being released and is the first of a new generation of LED based projectors that will be coming to market.

Should be a fun and interesting time but space is limited so PM me ASAP (feel free to comment about your system and or specific interests) if you would like to attend. Please include your return email address and I will send out invitations, contact info and directions.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Rob,

Will be interested in coming.
post #3 of 47 Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

Hi Rob,

Will be interested in coming.

That's great Wilson, glad you can make it.

HToM

post #4 of 47 Old 09-06-2009, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am definitely interested in coming, although it depends on my schedule.

The cheese fell off my cracker a long time ago...
post #5 of 47 Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 AM

Liked: 16
Rob, I'll be there.
post #6 of 47 Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

I am definitely interested in coming, although it depends on my schedule.

Hi Mike, I took an informal poll of attendees and it was decided we could allow one (and only one) Forum Mod to attend.

Hope you can make it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffinator View Post

Rob, I'll be there.

That's great news Rick, looking forward to seeing you.

HToM

post #7 of 47 Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Save me a seat! Thanks. PM sent.
post #8 of 47 Old 09-16-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Save me a seat! Thanks. PM sent.

It will be my pleasure.

BTW, I took a quick look at the Deadwood Theater photos ... well done!

HToM

post #9 of 47 Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
RMK!--to re-confirm, I am planning to come.
post #10 of 47 Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

RMK!--to re-confirm, I am planning to come.

Confirmed ... thanks.

HToM

post #11 of 47 Old 09-18-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi Rob,

I would like to attend....

If anyone in Silicon Valley wants to carpool let me know and I am sure we can work something out....

Sean
post #12 of 47 Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can't wait. This will be my first time visiting CA.
post #13 of 47 Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post

Can't wait. This will be my first time visiting CA.

I'm just wondering if those Captivators are going to fit in the overhead bin

HToM

post #14 of 47 Old 10-03-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Here is the latest.

I have sent out PM's and emails to all interested parties with directions. Yesterday, Vivitek confirmed that I will have an H9080FD LED projector here in time for the GTG. Jeff Permanian (JTR) will be installing new Xovers in my Triple 12LF's and 2 of his new Captivators bandpass subs. We will be EQ'ing the audio with several devices including a QSC DSP30 dedicated to the 4 Subs (Danley TH-SPUDS and Captivators).

When done, it will be an interesting setup and I'm looking forward to the opinions of the attendees. Those include Keith Yates (Keith Yates Design Group) and Roger Dressler (Dolby Labs) so even if the system doesn't meet your aesthetic, audio or video expectations, the knowledge, wisdom and great stories of those gentlemen should make the time well spent.

We can accommodate a couple more so if any late comers are interested PM me and I'll get you the info.

Mahalo and see you next Saturday!

HToM

post #15 of 47 Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Here is the latest.

I have sent out PM's and emails to all interested parties with directions. Yesterday, Vivitek confirmed that I will have an H9080FD LED projector here in time for the GTG. Jeff Permanian (JTR) will be installing new Xovers in my Triple 12LF's and 2 of his new Captivators bandpass subs. We will be EQ'ing the audio with several devices including a QSC DSP30 dedicated to the 4 Subs (Danley TH-SPUDS and Captivators).

When done, it will be an interesting setup and I'm looking forward to the opinions of the attendees. Those include Keith Yates (Keith Yates Design Group) and Roger Dressler (Dolby Labs) so even if the system doesn't meet your aesthetic, audio or video expectations, the knowledge, wisdom and great stories of those gentlemen should make the time well spent.

We can accommodate a couple more so if any late comers are interested PM me and I'll get you the info.

Mahalo and see you next Saturday!

I'm getting excited already!
post #16 of 47 Old 10-08-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

The Vivitek H9080FD arrived this evening too late to install but it will be going in tomorrow with the Captivators. That is a huge projector and it dwarfs my JVC. I'll take and post some pics tomorrow if time allows.

We plan on using Audyssey Pro to EQ the system the QSC DSP 30 will be used to integrate the subs. My SMS-1 will be on standby should be interesting and looks like we will have perfect weather.

See you Saturday.

HToM

post #17 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

I thought the G2G I hosted yesterday came off rather well. We had a nice number of attendees (15) and everyone seemed to have a good time. I owe big thanks to Jeff Permanian for creating the wonderful high dollar value speakers that provided the big SPL assault we all experienced yesterday as well his help in setting everything up. Also, I'd like to thank Vivitek for providing the H9080FD LED based DLP projector.

I also have to acknowledge my better half Karen for all of the food prep and for being her normal gracious and good natured self (I am a lucky guy). Finally, I'd like to thank the attendees many of whom I had not met prior to the HT G2G. It is a little scary inviting people you don't know into your home, but as Karen noted to me after everyone had left, what a great group of guys. I hope that they had as good a time as I did and I feel as though I have some new friends who share my passion for this crazy hobby. I would be remiss if I didn't give a special thanks to Keith Yates and Roger Dressler. It was an honor to have these very professional gentlemen (and they are in the truest sense of the term) attend this amateur G2Gand share their vast knowledge of this hobby we all love.

As to the specifics, to test out my very bass capable HT and the new JTR Captivator subs, we did a full tilt assault on everyone's aural senses with demos were of the usual LFE suspects (WOTW, Open Range, Master and Commander, Dark Knight Incredible Hulk etc. Many attendees brought demo material (thanks) and I tried to mix in as much of that as possible. Some of the most interesting (provided by Fugueness-Peter) were Asian titles with some of the most epic (and entertaining) battle sequences I have ever seen. Kim Ji-Woon's kimchi western The Good, The Bad and the Weird is the one I remember and will be added to my bluray collection as a reference AV disk.

The JTR components did what they do in providing incredible dynamics and I think all who heard them now understand what I mean when I use that term. Adding the 2010 Triple 8's and Slanted 8's as surrounds has made a huge difference in the overall sound of my system.

In my limited time with them, the new model Captivator subs are exceeding my expectations. I have a bit of integration work yet to do so they play nice with the Danley's, but when I played them alone these bandpass design subs were as clean and powerful as any bass machines I have heard. Their reasonably small form factor and 100 lb weight allows some placement flexibility and the clean output makes them ideal for music and HT applications. To me, they are an incredible bargain @ the MSLP of $999/ea.

As to the Vivitek, some less than stellar reviews had significantly lowered my expectations regarding this first to market LED based machine. I'm no videophile, but to my eyes this unit produced a very rich and clear image with excellent colors and amazing amount of DLP POP considering the limited light controlled conditions for the G2G. I will be very interested in any attendees take on the video but from my perspective, the H9080FD shows the great potential of LED based machines.

My biggest regret (Homer Simpson D'OH!) is that I did not take one picture of the event. I was so caught up in the moment it completely slipped my mind (age does that). In any case, I had a great time and look forward to doing this again in the spring. My thanks again to everyone and it's time to go watch a movie!

Here is a picture of the Vivitek projector and the size relative to my JVC:

And here is the new front end with the Triple 12's and the Captivators:

HToM

post #18 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Rob, Thanks again on hosting this very enjoyable get-together. And also, please thank Karen again for the delicious spread she set up for us. (I esp enjoyed it since I've been left to my own devices with my wife out of town for a couple of weeks.)

And WOW, the audio performance was OUTSTANDING, a full body experience. Congrats on putting together such an impressive assembly (in a beautiful room).

Re the Vivitek, I was favorably surprised and am more hopeful than before that led will indeed be a solution for replacing lamp illumination, perhaps by next year (or more likely the next). In all be very dark scenes, the pic was quite dynamic, in typical dlp fashion, and colors were rich (though I still thought I detected some pinkish tint to whites). In a year or two I might be ready to go for a led dlp (if throw distance and sound level are good) or laser/lcos if that technology develops.

And as always, it was fun meeting fellow AVS'ers!
post #19 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the great GTG Rob! Rob is a great host and has a great theater. Some quick comments: I was very impressed with the capabilities of the Captivators. The two Captivators definitely provided more ultra low frequency (<20Hz) than than the SPUDs. Jeff is a great guy I will recommend JTR speakers even more after meeting him. On the video side, the Vivitek looked to have some excellent ANSI contrast.

I can't wait for the next GTG!
post #20 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Rob, I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's meet. Thanks to both you and Karen for putting on such a great event. You were both very gracious hosts. I enjoyed the wonderful spread of food and I don't think I saw you sit in one of your own theater seats the entire meet.

I had the good fortune of trying out both your front and back rows. While your front row far exceeded my own theater, my favorite was the back row on top of the Danley SPUDs. I sat here while watching Open Range. Wow! The power and tightness of the bass was amazing. The JTRs were a match for the SPUDs/Captivators and delivered incredible dynamics; what a great system.

As good as Open Range was I don't think I've ever heard guns reproduced like they were on Peter's disk: The Good, The Bad, and The Weird. It was fun to hear and see a new title that makes a great demonstration disk.

Definitely one of my better Saturdays. Thanks again.
post #21 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Rob, thanks for hosting the meet! It was great fun.
I brought over some of my current favorite demos, and Rob's system delivered something fierce - the amount of tactile bass in his room is scary and exhilarating! I was in the hot seat for "Hulk" and it was INTENSE. I felt like I'd been smashed by Hulk... Sitting in the back row on top of the TH-SPUDs during Master and Commander, I felt like I was on the ship with canons firing. It does add a level of immersion that you can't get otherwise (short of a buttkicker).

Like Jeff's other designs, the Captivators deliver insane bang for the buck. JTR was already perhaps the best value in HT - this just takes it even further. The 2010 Triple 8's really contributed to a meaty, enveloping surround stage. Their dispersion is excellent.

The Vivitek is a solid unit, but for $15k? Not enough bang for the buck, IMHO.

Maybe it's time to become a videophile, Rob, and make that picture as large as your sound!

For the attendees who are interested, you can pick up Red Cliff and The Good, The Bad, the Weird here:

Red Cliff
Part I: http://www.yesasia.com/us/red-cliff-...0-en/info.html
Part II: http://www.yesasia.com/us/red-cliff-...0-en/info.html

It is a must-see epic. Don't watch the upcoming, butchered US version which is 5 hours condensed into 2 hours - the battle scenes alone exceed 2 hours!
Here's the US trailer though: http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/redcliff/

The Good, the Bad, the Weird
http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-good-t...0-en/info.html

post #22 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Señor Member

Thanks fellas, it was great fun for me too. We'll have to do it again in the spring. Keith gave me some great ideas on how to improve the room acoustically and I'll be trying some things out soon. It never ends does it .

Hey Peter, thanks for taking the pics. Nothing like having a pro photographer put the best look on the room.

HToM

post #23 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Rob, thanks for having us over yesterday. Sorry we arrived late and flew out of there. Jarod, my 7 year old son, thought Rob's HT was AWESOME! So did I. The whole sound system rocked and seemed limitless in SPL for a HT. As you put it the "assault" was better than anything I've ever heard in someone's home before. And I thought the system you had last year was impressive, your new one takes it to another level.

As for the video when I arrived TGTBATW was playing. The first thing I thought was the video looked impressive. I'm not up on the latest 1080P projectors but it looked pretty good to me. This movie also looked impressive and I though it looked the best of the ones I saw.

Peter, I found another link to TGTBATW, do you recommend the one you linked to over this one? What's the difference? I checked and Netflix does not carry it.

The only bad part of attending one of Rob's GTG is the desire I get to start upgrading my system. Thanks again Rob!
post #24 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Peter, I found another link to TGTBATW, do you recommend the one you linked to over this one? What's the difference? I checked and Netflix does not carry it.

Yes, I actually have both, and I recommend the Korean bluray because it is Region A (the UK is Region B, so you'll need a region-free player) and the A/V quality is superior.

It is one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a while and reminiscent of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
This review pretty much nails it:
http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/38433

I highly recommend checking out Red Cliff as well - it's John Woo in top form. The scene we watched was from Part I. Part II is when the really BIG battle happens!

Enjoy!
post #25 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Got it. I missed the Red Cliff demo but I'll check them out as well. Netflix has both Red Cliff movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

It is one of the most entertaining films I've seen in a while and reminiscent of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
This review pretty much nails it:
http://www.aintitcool.com/?q=node/38433

Funny you should say that. On our way home my son said he thought that movie was like Raider of the Lost Ark.
post #26 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the TGTBTW thread from the bluray forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1160411
post #27 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

Here's the TGTBTW thread from the bluray forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1160411

Will the Oppo play this w/o any mod?
post #28 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Will the Oppo play this w/o any mod?

It'll play the Korean BD I linked, but not the Region B UK release.

In any case, it's well worth modding to enjoy all the wonderful Region B releases: Ran, Le Mepris, Belle de Jour, Tokyo Sonata, Mad Detective come to mind.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98
post #29 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Netflix has both Red Cliff movies.

Actually, they don't, since it has not been distributed on video in the States, and when it is, it will likely be the chopped up 2-hour US version.
post #30 of 47 Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM

You're right they don't. I was switching back and forth between my fantasy football and wasn't paying attention. They are in their database and I added them to my future queue but are not available. TGTBATW isn't in their database. So of the three movies if I was going to buy just one which do you recommend?
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page