AVS Forum banner

Toronto, Ontario, Canada or the GTA...

85K views 1K replies 129 participants last post by  himelator 
#1 ·
I have a Sharp 9000U tweaked with Ran's settings in the service menu & a Hoya FL-DAY HMC filter that spits out an absolute GORGEOUS picture & I can easily put it up against ANY D-ILA for comparison.

My Screen: DA-LITE HDTV Format - high quality electric screen called Cosmopolitan Electrol - Viewing Area HxW 58" x 104" or 119" Diagonal with a 1.5 gain. It is set up in my living room & hung from the ceiling & whenever I decide to watch my DVD's I press a button & down she comes! At the moment I have no HDTV material & have yet to see my PJ in HDTV...

My DVD is the Panasonic RP-56 Progressive scan which I have found it to be better than the RP-91 in many ways since I've had the luxury of having both at one time & doing an A-B comparison.

My audio: the Onkyo 797 receiver which has DTS-ES & THX-EX & Mirage all around speakers with a 15" 200 watt built in amp Cerwin Vega Sub the really KICKS!

All in all I am VERY happy now with my set-up & would love to compare it to others if they are in the GTA area.

If so please leave a message here or email me at both locations, first my work email is chris@vximultimedia.com & my home email is chrisdallas@rogers.com

Cheers

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Chris I posted about the same topic over at Home Theater Forum, not sure if you ever venture over there, I am trying to set up a small meet for either the 30th of March or 13th of April (Both are saturdays...) anyway I had expressed an interest in seeing you pj previously... let me know if you are interested. I'll check the thread. I believe we have exchanged emails in the past if not I'll fire one off later...

#3 ·
Hi mwan,

don't recall if we ever exchanged emails but your welcomed to do so. If you're ever in the area & would like to see my setup drop me an email & I can give you my #'s where I can be reached.

Cheers

Chris

#5 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in. I'd love to see some other set-ups. I've recently got a CRT that I'm presently using with a low end HTPC(3D Fusion based).

Still working on a proper screen. Please keep in the loop. I suppose it will be a nighttime meet unless everyone has a light controlled room. I been into to video for quite a few years and do ISF type calibrations on the side as well. I'm in Scarborough.

Regards,

Phil
philip.chin-sam@rogers.com

p.s. Chris, Rogers Cable Set Top HDTV is a pretty easy way to get HDTV in your home. As soon as I settle my screen I'm bringing it in for a trial.

p.p.s. Corrected my email, as it has now switched to rogers.com

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hi Phil,

I know Rogers has HDTV now but they DON'T in my area
otherwise it would have already been in my livingroom.

Anytime you guys would like to set up a meet just post or email & I'm in.

Cheers

Chris

#8 ·
Hey folks count me in as well.

I'm also in the GTA (Scarborough). My current HT is WIP - I got the Barco 808s about a month ago but haven't hooked it up yet as I'm prepping the room bit by bit each weekend. Next week I'll be moving a 75 gallon saltwater fish tank out of the room. Hoping to have everything completed in 3 to 4 weeks barring any business travel.

Feel free to contact me at

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by EC
Hey folks count me in as well.

I'm also in the GTA (Scarborough). My current HT is WIP - I got the Barco 808s about a month ago but haven't hooked it up yet as I'm prepping the room bit by bit each weekend. Next week I'll be moving a 75 gallon saltwater fish tank out of the room. Hoping to have everything completed in 3 to 4 weeks barring any business travel.

Feel free to contact me at eric.chong@rogers.com

Saltwater? Nooooooooooooooo we need more African Cichlid fans!

Anthony

#10 ·
Anthony, are you into Tangs, Victorians or Malawi Cichlids?? I started about 2 yrs ago... Love those Tangs...

#13 ·
Hiya Chris and Eric,

My new room is finally under construction..

Yesterday the basic framing was completed. I tell you it's exciting when you can finally see something other than a sketch on paper.

You can count me in on getting together for any meets. I'd be happy to have fellow AVphiles in the GTA drop by when the room is done.

#14 ·
Bx561:

Do you have the expertise and proper equipment to do an ISF calibration on a 50" Pioneer plasma? If so, drop me a note. I'm in The Beaches area, which is reasonably close to Scarborough.

It's not obvious from the last posts of this thread if any of you guys have agreed to meet. If anyone is interested in seeing a 50" plasma with a Faroudja NRS, a McIntosh home theatre, and Definitive Technologies BPL3000 speakers, let me know.

Thanks.

#15 ·
Count me in for a Toronto Meet. My HT setup is a complete mess. I bought a Barco 1208/2 over two months ago and its hiding in my basement which is being renovated. My audio gear is also in storage while the room is being re-done. I have the Acurus Act 3 which I plan to upgrade to something similar to the Stage One, or maybe I'll actually shell out the dough and get the Stage One... I also have the Crystalimage 4.0 for about 4 months and have used it only once. I seem to be a HT junkie.

Karim

#16 ·
I might be interested too. I have a rather meager 32" NTSC TV system, but I have the audio portion sewn up well with my Marantz receiver, Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer and PSB Image speakers. I'd love to see more of the front projectors. So far my exposure to the Panasonic AE100 has me very very interested in those things. As far as a meet goes, there are some guys from HTF and here who met a short while back I think.

#17 ·
My room isn't totally ready..still to come is the carpet and sound panels but it's ready enough to drop by - chat about HT over a burger and beer and then watch a DVD..

How does Friday July 12 sound?

I live in east Burlington and can seat a total of 14 comfortably..

Please respond here if you are interested or PM me..

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by John the Depot Dude
My room isn't totally ready..still to come is the carpet and sound panels but it's ready enough to drop by - chat about HT over a burger and beer and then watch a DVD..

How does Friday July 12 sound?

I live in east Burlington and can seat a total of 14 comfortably..

Please respond here if you are interested or PM me..

John you know I will be there!

If interested and you folks don't mind driving I'll be happy to let you come on over and critique and view my system which is similar to John's both using Barco 808's. I have never seen a CRT system in a HT setup before (other than mine). I converged the projector myself so feedback is highly welcomed.

If you see John's setup first, it will be a downer when you come to my place. So I think you should come over to my place first
. I live in north Scarborough around the Kennedy & Finch area.

I was planning to invite folks over but I have been travelling so much lately. As with John send my a private message and I'll give you directions or email me @ maybe we can do a tour of the HT's on July 12.

Edit June 28th - Just got back to work today and they are sending me out to Calgary on July 12. I'm never home to enjoy the HT - maybe I should sell it! Sorry folks I have to reneg on July 12 as I won't be in town. However please feel free to contact me when I get back on July 20

My setup is:

- 96 * 54 canvas screen using Screen Goo High Gain CRT

- Barco Graphics 808s

- Focus Enhancements Quadscan pro (AVS PowerBuy!)

- HTPC with ATI Radeon 7500

- Pioneer Elite DV37 DVD

- Pioneer Laser Disc player 708 I think

- Rotel pre / pro 976

- Acurus five 200

- five Dynaco A25 speakers! Yes circa 1970's! until I get more $

We can talk two channel as well as I have a seperate system with that setup in the same room

#19 ·
Great Eric!

Looking forward to finally meeting you!

You really should come by beforehand and teach me a few tricks on the Barco..picture looks good but I don't find doing the convergence all that easy..

I plan on giving a little demo of hi res audio - both DVD-A and SACD..

All 2 ch guys are welcome - we can do some stereo vs multichannel comparisons..

As a former 2 ch guy, I'me always interested in your comments..

#20 ·
Hey John and Eric,

I've got me an Analog Sony 1031q, so I'm not in your guys' league, but I'd like to check out your systems also. May be I'll get the upgrade bug. I've never seen another CRT either, so it'd be nice to compare how my 7" compares to the bigger guys.

Let me know.

I'm at Eglington and Victoria Park (the Scarborough-EastYork-NorthYork border)

#21 ·
Hiya Johnny baby!!

I will definitely come over but on July 12th I will be in Florida with the wife & kids so you'll have to get me another date & time.

I also have found a store that we may be taking over, I have an offer ready to go in right after I return on the 17th of July.

Cheers & enjoy your new theater!

Chris

#23 ·
Hi,

As July 19 works better for most, we'll delay the get together a week to the 19th..

We start the BBQ at around 6..

Let's discuss any ideas for the evening here in this thread..

I'm certainly looking forward to meeting others to chat about our little hobby..

#24 ·
Hey this meet sounds interesting. I am a CRT owner as well. I had set it up but now that I am building a dedicated HT room I had to take it down. It is a Sony 1271 CRT. I basically did my own gray scale, astigmatism etc (have my own color meter - Progressive Labs).

Cheers

Frank

#25 ·
I am intrigued by your post..

I hope you can join us and share this..

I am a newbie - I've been tweaking and playing with the Barco..I sure would be interested in learning more about adjustments outside what I can see and access..

Please PM for directions if you can make it..

So far we have 6 coming..

#26 ·
Wow...

there sure are a lot of CRT guys in the GTA. the timing kind of sucks for me i am between residences since my new place will not be ready until Sept. I would love to come but I am staying in Barrie right now, I'll see if the Boss will let me out to play.

We did have a meet at the other end of the GTA last March, It was interesting to see the Xbox on dlp. Also had a couple of guys bring their HTPC's along. I'll be back later to check in...

Miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.