Portland ,Ore. / Vancouver ,Wa. - first meet done , next one coming soon ... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 5216 Old 04-08-2002, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the drapes up this weekend. These things are thick and heavy, but the sun still gets through!! I had used blackout shades before - glad I still have them. Using the shades and the drapes light is very minimal.

Now, I have to devise a way to hide them (camoflague the commando ).

My Home Theater System
See my weather site at: Seattle
See my webcam at: Wunderground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5216 Old 04-08-2002, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Rick ,
-- You need some of those LCD windows .
-- Are you really building a TB HD server ? Incredible & Very Cool !!!
-- I will have to get some HD material from you somehow .... do you have anything that would be small enough to be burned onto a cd-r ? or maybe we could do some file swapping via FTP .
-- Best of Luck with the light control .
--- Jason B.

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133" / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Samsung 65KS8000 / Denon x3300 / Klipsch speakers / Velodyne subs / Samsung K8500 / PS4 Pro + PSVR / WiiU / PS3 / 360 / Wii / 1080 TI - i7 game PC / Multi-Arcade / My HT SLIDESHOW
post #63 of 5216 Old 04-08-2002, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HD is huge - 8G per hour. This means ~6min on a CDR

Another thing is files generated by ADTV are "encrypted" and not playable with any normal .ts player. (I beat that, though).

If you know of any players that play .ts streams, I could give you something unencrypted. The easiest way might be for you to install a DataPort IV carrier. That way I can just plug in the drive and you can copy anything you want.

Any particular show you would like? - check titantv.com. The listings with red HD next to them are in (guess what) HD.

I intend to get some of the Masters comming up - it is all HD.

My Home Theater System

post #64 of 5216 Old 04-08-2002, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Rick ,
-- even 6 mins of HD on a CDr would be cool , just to show my wife why we need HD . What would I need to playback the stream ?
-- I just won an auction [ Ebay ] on a Extron 108 to try the 1.V output deal . Hope it works as good as everyone says as my little 1031Q needs all the help it can get .
-- Best wishes ,
-- Jason B.

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133" / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Samsung 65KS8000 / Denon x3300 / Klipsch speakers / Velodyne subs / Samsung K8500 / PS4 Pro + PSVR / WiiU / PS3 / 360 / Wii / 1080 TI - i7 game PC / Multi-Arcade / My HT SLIDESHOW
post #65 of 5216 Old 04-08-2002, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have a look at titantv.com and tell me what you would like. CBS has the best picture quality although their audio is sometimes difficult to sync.

I can currently remove the "encryption" of the ADTV stream and make it a .ts format - I think this is a normal MPEG2 stream. I will test it this weekend. If so, all you will need is the MPEG2 codec.

I've also been looking at software to edit these streams (can you say no commercials?). This would allow more material and use less space as the broadcasters load these things up with commercials. ABC (I think) showed a Bond flick Man with the Golden Gun. The movie (OTA) was 3 hours long. The original movie is only 2H 8M - 52 minutes of commercials!

Will you have the Extron by the 21st?

Where is everyone else?

My Home Theater System
post #66 of 5216 Old 04-09-2002, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Rick ,
-- should be able to use PowerDVD XP to play the mpeg2 file if that is what it is [ .ts ] .
-- I checked out titan and nothing really caught my eye , plus at 8 Gig/hr. I am not sure how I would get any from you anyway [ unless I bring a Hard Drive with me - hehe ] .
-- the Extron 108 should be here by the 21st [ I hope ] , it should ship out to me by Wed. . Would you like me to bring it if I can make it ? I sure hope I get to come visit on the 21st .
-------------------------------------------------------------
-- I guess we should try and confirm who is going to make it on the 21st . I have talked with Matt [RedTalon] on icq a bit but other than that everyone else is probably enjoying the nice weather . Will everyone that is planning to attend please post a "Hey , I'm Goin' Man " . This way Rick can prepare for the Tidal Wave of Terror that is about to Wreak Havoc on his Currently Functioning HT ..... Um , yeah , anyway ..... [ sorry I just watched the old Batman Movie - BaNg ! SmACk ! PoW ! ] .... and I don't even drink coffee , scary huh !

post #67 of 5216 Old 04-09-2002, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you do have the Extron, please bring it along. As I said earlier, I don't think it will do me much good, but I would like to see anyway.

Bring the HD if you want; the only warning is that (for some reason) copies from my boot disk to the swappable disk are very slow.

My Home Theater System
post #68 of 5216 Old 04-09-2002, 08:37 PM

I'll be able to go! For those who don't know, I work sometimes on the weekends with very non-regular hours so it just takes me a little time before anything is for-sure scheduling wise. Does anyone want me to bring anything??? I got a PS2... thats pretty much it actually for portability. Games I have are Virtua Fighter 4 (no 16:9.. ticks me off) Gran Tourismo 3, GTA3 and NFL2k (another non-16:9 game... argh!) Look forward to talking with you guys (and gals?) about HT.

Matt
post #69 of 5216 Old 04-09-2002, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RedTalon, I have a PS2 also - not very happy with the display either. What is your set-up - display? At ~85" (wide) GTA looks crummy - I moved it to my bedroom w/32" diag. I am thinking about getting a svideo or component adapter. Also, I have been looking at RF controllers, but only if I can get a decent pic.

If you like you should bring games - see what they look like.

I also have VERY odd hours - basically on call 24x7, but I can ignore some

Will you be able to carpool with Jason (or any others)? I live a little North of Vancouver. I will PM my address and directions to anyone who would like to attend.

[begin edit]
OK, looking back at this thread, your setup is listed - maybe I have a memory problem. Probably just too much to do and too little time. Still, bring games and I'll hook up the PS2 and we'll see. In the meantime, I think I will get the component and svideo cables - maybe that will better the pic.
[end edit]

My Home Theater System
post #70 of 5216 Old 04-09-2002, 10:53 PM

Ya I have the component cables and it does help quite a bit. It's pretty decent quality on my setup, and I've been playing quite often without any real issues other than the non-16:9 games. Virtua Fighter 4 has massive jaggies around every edge, but the gameplay is pretty tight. If you don't grab the component cables by the meeting I'll be happy to bring them along. My icq is 1405358, feel free to icq me anytime. Jason talked to me earlier this evening and brought up the car-pooling thing which sounds good to me!

-Matt
post #71 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 08:31 AM

What time is this all going down? People are coming to visit me that weekend, but will be leaving on Sunday. I'm pretty sure I can come, I just need to know when they need to go...

Thanks
Vanessa
post #72 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 10:15 AM

Liked: 12
I am good to go!

Just want to make sure I get back in time to see the immortal Hulk Hogan have at the WWF title. Been a wrestling fan since the days of Don Owens Portland Wrestling - remember watching saturday nites on Ch12 as a kid with my stepdad. Whatever happened to that anyways?
post #73 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, later for Vanessa and before/after the Hulk (the real one).
What time is the match?

My Home Theater System
post #74 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 11:56 AM

PPVs are usually at 5 with an 8:30 replay.
post #75 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would watching a replay be a problem?

You would probably have to leave at 7:30 (depending upon where you live) to be sure.

Any time of day/night is OK with me. My wife works weekends - gives me tweaking time . I don't know how long people want to be stuck at my house. I would like to show some HD, DVD, PS2 (RedTalon - please bring cables; that way I won't have to try to get them), maybe some games.

Also, I will try to record Enterprise as example of "fake widescreen" and what should not be done even to a dog. I have some Leno - very good in HD - that I will try to burn to CD (only 4 to 6 minutes will fit). That way you can see what HD would look like on your system if you don't have it yet.

As I said above, I don't know of anything that will play .ts files for a fact except ADTV and HiPix, which requires their hardware (kinda expensive - ~400). I'll do some searching this weekend.

Almost forgot, I got my filter and will try to recalibrate also this weekend.

My Home Theater System
post #76 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone have a Panamorph (P752) lens?

Does anyone have a copy of the DVD Dark City?

My Home Theater System
post #77 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 04:08 PM

So no wrestling fans among you watching the PPV? Wrestling is a good challenge for scalers - to make it HTPC/HDTV related! Catching the replay is fine with me.

I am having real problems getting my HD going again, as you guys have convinced me to see what is on the airwaves again.

I have had a DTC-100 for a while but its 480i to 1080i upconversion is softer if not smoother than using Dscaler. It is not user-friendly to switch back and forth! On a digital projector widescreen 1080i HDTV is downsampled to 1024x576 so it is hardly much sharper than an HTPC upconverted pixel matched DVD - so I have never been impressed with HBO-HD.

I figure I should at least try to get the OTA HDTV stations tuned in. I can see the towers across the river in portland - at least I think that is what I am seeing - it is in the direction of the channel map I found.

I have a radio shack double bowtie - the channel map says I only need a small directional so it should work. This worked down in San Jose, CA just fine, but I lived on a hill! I just get dropouts/lockouts on all the local channels. I tried the trick of tuning into the UHF analogs nearby - turns out they come in even if the cable is disconnected from the bowtie - it worked even with open circuit! Tried replacing the 300ohm leads by soldering on a 75 ohm transformer. Tried using a diplexer over some cheap cable to put it in the window - and I lost my DirecHDTV! I am going to try now using parallel RG6/QS runs tonite before StarTrek.

The Panny HDTV receiver I just bought has all the problems - loud fan, dropouts, slow guide. Still deciding if to return it our send it back for repair. I was going to get the Hughes HDTV rcvr- but read of its dropped guide problems plus it has no SDTV output and no IR remote. I got the panny because it was all format which is good for the future and the present - but it turns out that I thought I had a Panny SDTV when it is just a (POS)TV. So I think a Panny boycott and letter is is in order, the manual says it is an SDTV but it will not sync! Yeah I know it is not HDTV but SDTV gives you OTA as clear as a progressive DVD!

Maybe it is because I am on the river and the rest of you vancouverites are up higher? I really do not want to move so I need to figure this out (without external masts - they violate the covenants!)
post #78 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'll be attending as well. I'll bring along the non-superbit version of The 5th Element (I seem to remember some people wanting to compare?).
post #79 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 05:09 PM

ramick -

I've got Dark City...

Vanessa
post #80 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I live on a big hill and get good reception with all 7 DTV channels from Portland with the little "Silver Streak" antenna that comes with ADTV. It is very sensitive about placement, though. Maybe this antenna is available seperately? I didn't have much luck with the Rad Shack one I have (has UHF).

I only have OTA, though. From what I have read the HBO-HD feeds are not that great and it would cost me ~$800 for all of the equipment. I didn't feel it would be worth it. I do, however, like some of the shows on HBO and have the HBO Works from Dish (also the America's Top 150).

Greg, I have the superbit version - I would love to see the differance. Supposedly, the bitrate on the superbit is almost double the bitrate of the non-superbit.

My Home Theater System
post #81 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Vanessa, please bring it. I want to see if the contrast of my proj will be enough for this DVD. I have read this is the real test for blacks.

My Home Theater System
post #82 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see that almost everyone has posted that they will be going to Rick's .
---------------------------------------
-- Rick ,
-- I have Dark City DVD , this is a real test on any PJ to see how well it can do black and tons of it [ this movie is so dark that you really want to turn up the contrast/brightness ] .
----------------------------------------
-- krag ,
-- I used to watch Portland wrestling back when Dutch Savage and Jimmy Snooka were here , I was just a kid then but I loved it . My mom even took me to see it one time and Dutch Savage walked by and gave me a high five , I did not wash my hand until my mom made me - hehe . I can't stand watching it now though , it lost all the magic when it got all HOLLYWOOD-IZED [ it looks more Fake now then it used to - even though it always has been ] .
--- Best Wishes All ,
--- Jason B.

post #83 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Found a thread which states .ts files can be played with WinDVD 3.1:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=131948

My version is 2.4 so I don't know if it will work. It would be really nice if it did - I could have video on demand throughout the house.

My Home Theater System
post #84 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 06:50 PM

K I'll be bringing the PS2 component cables. I forgot to add with those cables you are required to use an optical sound cable as well. I'll bring it along as well and hopefully this doesn't cause any problems (I'm not familiar with your layout)

I love Dark City :-) Great movie.
post #85 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Rick ,
-- I have WinDVD 3.1 if you would like to try it out , let me know .
--- Jason B.

post #86 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RedTalon, optical is OK - just depends on the length - I have a Denon with tons of opt dig inputs.

Jason, please bring 3.1 - we can see if it will play the .ts (.vob) files.

This may turn out to be a long "demo"

My Home Theater System
post #87 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

--- well that Extron 108 that I won the auction on [ ebay ] may not show , the seller will not respond to my e-mails . Does anyone have any suggestions ? It has been about 3 days and no response , I have sent him 4 e-mails . Am I rushing it ? I have not used ebay too much so I am not sure of the limits for contacting a buyer from a seller's standpoint .
--- I will bring WinDVD 3.1 and hopefully the Extron if i can actually get it .
--- Best Wishes All , where is Martin ?
--- Jason B.

post #88 of 5216 Old 04-10-2002, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What does the sellers ratings say?
Maybe he just wants to see what it's worth. Three days is a bit much, but then again some people are busy...

Good luck (seriously, I hope it works out).

Do you know what voltages your CRT requires?

My Home Theater System
post #89 of 5216 Old 04-11-2002, 06:05 PM

In a few ebay auctions I've won, I found the guys phone number and actually called him up and asked what the deal was. Usually they said "oh sorry I've just been so busy lately", etc etc. Sometimes the phone # is listed in the user profile, I think. Been a while since I bought... but 3 days isn't uncommon (atleast for me). I've had to wait a month to get some baseball cards (the guy blamed his computer).
post #90 of 5216 Old 04-11-2002, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Guys !
-- The seller has excellent feedback , otherwise I would not have bid on it .
-- I can understand if he doesn't want to sell it for as low as I won the auction for [ which is a steal ] but he should have put a reserve on it then .
-- I did win a Aura bass shaker auction for $15.50 so that is pretty cool , and the seller has already responded and I paid - just waiting for it to show up now .
----------------------------
Rick ,
-- I think my PJ likes to see 1.0 volt , I don't have this in print from Sony but after talking with a few people it would seem very realistic . The older CRT units [ like my late 1990 1031Q ] liked the higher voltage since they were not usually used with-out an Extron type device back then ] . I will try it out and see what it does , if it doesn't work then I will just sell the Extron to someone that can put it to good use .
--- Best Wishes ,
---- Jason B.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page