Portland ,Ore. / Vancouver ,Wa. - first meet done , next one coming soon ... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5172 Old 03-13-2002, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
*** Anyone else interested from this area is welcome to post .
-- We have had our first meet [ went very well ] and are hoping to have a second meet soon [ next 30 days ] . Should be a monthly meet on Sunday afternoons .
-- See this earlier Thread [ which will now be moved here since this is the proper forum ] .
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=Unite+here
-- Best Wishes All ,
--- Jason B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5172 Old 03-13-2002, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't even know this "Area" forum existed.

Glad someone is on top of things. Now we (I) don't flood HTPC forum with (my) drivel (sp?).

In thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=125168
I am thinking about CRT [Jason, you are at fault here; 10ht good, CRT better].

I couldn't find anything on the 1200, searched Google and Barco for specs.

How do I find out what rez a CRT will run [within reason]?
I am starting to understand vert & horiz scan rates and total bandwidth but not there, yet.

Jason, thank you for the offer for help; I believe I will need it.

I am going to go to some [CRT] projector places to view some pics. Don't get me wrong; my 10HT has an excellent pic and very bright [calibrated via Munsel (again sp?)]. I want freedom. I want to do 3D. I want a PERFECT picture (for nothing, of course) .

My 10HT may be for sale soon; I think you need to see the 10HT before the new one!

I need to come up with a demo of all it can do; Jason will be a hard act to follow. He demonstrated just about everything an HTPC can do.

My Home Theater System
See my weather site at: Seattle
See my webcam at: Wunderground
post #3 of 5172 Old 03-14-2002, 09:33 AM

Hi guys -

I'm definitely more of a lurker on this board (I also maintain a slightly higher profile lurker status over at the Home Theater Forum), but would be really interested in seeing what you all have done with your HTs.

Stuff about me:
Having my first house built right now, with an ~ 12'x15' room that long term I'd like to convert to a dedicated theater. I would have liked a larger room, but seeing as how it was my first house, I took what I could get.

I have a small system right now, consisting of:

H/K AVR65
Infinity RS-5 fronts
Infinity RS-4 rears
Infinity CC-3 center
Infinity HPS-250 sub
Toshiba SD3109
Philips HDR312 Tivo upgraded with a 80GB drive
Sharp VCR
Yamaha CDC-575 CD player
Yamaha tape deck
Rega Planar 2 w/ Sumiko Blue Point Special
Rotel RQ-970BK Preamp
and a Toshiba 27A40 TV

Obviously, it's really weak on the video side of the game (of course the whole setup is small potatoes compared to some systems on here!), once I get this whole house thing taken care of, and bounce back a little financially, I want to get some kind of FP system going in my little room. I also want to try building my own speakers.

Anyway, I don't know that I have anything to contribute at this point, but if you don't mind admiring onlookers and parting with some advice, let me know!

Thanks
Vanessa
who lives off of Mill Plain in Vancouver, just down the road from Elmer's!
post #4 of 5172 Old 03-14-2002, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Hi Vanessa,

Saw your posts about home distribution. I bought a custom house that was a poorly designed obsolete prewire- so make sure you get it done right! Rewiring will cost more than doing it now. I have a lot of holes in the wall that I need to patch up!

If you think you will ever want whole house audio do - it now! This means you need to run control/speaker wires near wherever your light switches are for the control panels from the home run where your house amps will be. Then you need to run speaker wires from the control panels to the speaker locations. You can even have IR pickups piggybacked in. No need to cut holes and buy speakers/panels now - you can always get that done later. Each system is a little bit different - check out smarthome.com. My prewire was done by Chelsea AV - so ended up buying the controls there.

Ramick,

Hopefully when you see my DLP setup you will not give up on the digital projector yet!
post #5 of 5172 Old 03-14-2002, 11:08 AM

krag -

I went ahead and got 2 RG-6 and 2 CAT-5e in each room all run to a central panel, so that part of the wiring should be good. I'm going in this weekend to wire a security system and two rooms for speakers (the "great" room downstairs and the "bonus" room, which is where I want to do FP, upstairs). Hopefully, I'll be able to get it all done! I thought about prewiring for whole house audio, but I think I'm going to be too limited on time and planning. Plus, when I think about it, even though I think it would be nice, it's probably not necessary for me in this house. The downstairs is very open and mainly just the"great" room separated by a half wall from the dining/kitchen area, so the sound should travel real well into that area. Upstairs, I'll have the main system in the "bonus" room (eventually... ), and probably just my shelf system in the bedroom. If I had to buy the equipment for all that, it would be expensive, but I have older gear that'll do for those purposes. Basically, there's a bunch of things that I think would be neat to do, but I just don't have the resources for it. Besides, I figure this is my first house, and eventually I'll get one that has everything I want

I'm really interesting in seeing the setups you guys have. I borrowed an Infocus LP340 from work overnight last summer, but due to that late summer sunset, projecting it on a wall from an interlaced dvd player, and super minimal calibration, I don't think I have a good idea of what DLP can do. What I do know is that I saw rainbows, which has made me somewhat wary of DLP, though apparently there have been great improvements in that area. I suppose I'm primarily interested in digital because of it's size (both in terms of my room and having just me to lug it around), relative ease of setup, and lack of burn in (I'm not sure that I'd watch much television on it, but I don't want to worry about ruining it!).

Vanessa
post #6 of 5172 Old 03-14-2002, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since this is a quieter corner of the forum - I thought I would post my setup. I just need warning before group visits - last minute trim to fix up. I am a tweak - so always looking for more ideas. Lately been trying to finish the game room floor.

Dedicated 18x14 home theatre room (DIY build codesigned with Premier Home Theatre of Camas)
----------
Thiel MCS1 fronts with smaller SCS3 rears, sides prewired
Boston Acoustics Subwoofer (needs replaced)
BetterCables.com everywhere
Stewart 8'x6' FireHawk (want a larger masking widescreen!)
Automated curtains for stage shadowbox
Owens Corning SelectSound Acoustic paneling and room modeling
Guilford of Maine acoustic fabric
R/G/B/W rope lighting from American Lighting
Lutron Grafix Eye (6 zones not enough!)
AcoustiBlock rubber mat isolation on ceiling
rubber block isolation to float loveseat platform
commercial hotel wool carpet (starfield with fancy border)
Runco Vx1 DLP (tweaked for gamma, and FLD lens filter)
Ekorne stressless recliners
Playstation PS2 with every gadget
popcorn, marquee, poster, sconces, table, spotlight, etc.

HT equipment
------
JVC VCR, tape, CD, DVD, FM sources
Proceed PAV/DSD/AMP3/AMP3
RCA DTC-100 for DirectTV/SDTV/HDTV
AVstand
Pronto IR

House Audio/Video
---------------
Thiel Inwalls indoors, cheap speakers outside total eight zones
nameless house amps (main criteria was small to hide above utility cabinets)
volume, transport, source, IR control panels
no cable so using existing wiring for modulated RF sources (DBS, VCR)
only two RG6 outlets for DBS (bad prewire here)
Use Home Phone Line Adaptor to EtherNet bridge

HTPC
------
AlienWare game optimized 1GHZ PIII (self tweaked for HT, I just liked the alien on the case!)
TheatreTek DVD (replaced WinDVD)
Radeon DDR 64 VIVO (always keeping up with HT forum here)
DScaler (finally dialed in using Bjoern Roys advice)
Falcon/DFG professional quality Svideo capture (the best card)
Audiophile 24/96 (blew the analog IO with hot synth outputs)
KORG X2 (satisfies the long haired musician and digital design engineer half brains)
ColorFacts colouranalyzer (needs display profiles)
KeySpan USB/IR remote (StreamZap USB/IR coming)
infamous VB50HRTV native rate video scaler
MS Media Player for MP3 juke
WindowsME/80G harddrive
post #7 of 5172 Old 03-14-2002, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

krag, nice system - much more polished than my work in progress.

The Runco Vx1 DLP looks to be a solid unit. I would like very much to see it. The only possible problem I might have with it is the fixed rez (1024x768 - 4:3).

My 10HT has 1366 x 768 - 16:9. I watch much more HD and widescreen DVD than regular TV and would hate to loose rez due to the top and bottom black bars.

I also would like to run at different refresh rates and a much higher rez (my 10HT will only allow 60Hz).

See thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=125168

I currently have a small light problem that should be corrected sometime during the next month. I don't mind watching in ~total darkness if I get a superior picture.

My Home Theater System
post #8 of 5172 Old 03-14-2002, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rick [ Greg & Martin ] ,
-- I am so upset , I just did my monthly re-tune and wish you could see it now ... so much better than when you were here . I have re-done the entire PJ [ other than dusting the interior lens ] , and the grayscale / contrast / brightness / etc. from the Radeon 7200 . That slight red push is gone , what a pain that was . Now the image is really incredible for a $500.00 crt pj .
-- I had some people over that had just seen a movie on it a few weeks ago and they could not get over how nice it looked at that time . They were amazed that it was even better than before , I did not even say that I had done anything .
-- I posted some new screen shots at my website of the re-tune . You guys have to come back and see it again some time [ if you are going to be in the area anytime soon let me know if you are interested in taking a peak ] .
--- krag , you certainly have far better gear than I do and I would love to see that Runco DLP unit in action . I was just saying at our meeting that DLP was not far behind CRT at this point and may even better it in the near future .
--- Vanessa , you must be right down the street from me , are you east or west of I205 [ I am east right off of Mill Plain ] .
--- So any dates come to mind for a next meet ??? Suggestions Welcome .... Sunday afternoons seem to best for most of us .
--- Best Wishes ,
---- Jason B.
post #9 of 5172 Old 03-14-2002, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The next few weeks are out for me

I just got another 160GB drive (building my disk array), just got a Radeon 32M SDR and will be installing it, just got a PS2 and will be playing GTAIII. Takes care of this weekend (and then some).

Next week going to Vancouver to meet Curt - 'nuf said.

Week after taking a trip w/wife.

I would like to meet again, though. I would like to demo my system & see others. I am still not 100% sure of this CRT thing; these things are huge and I still want a living room

Also, the more I see, the more I know I have work to do!

My Home Theater System
post #10 of 5172 Old 03-15-2002, 08:32 AM

Jason B-

I'm east of I-205, near 164th. Looks like we are only a couple miles apart - small world indeed!

Vanessa
post #11 of 5172 Old 03-15-2002, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Head down 164th to RiverShore to find me.

164th and Mill Plain are my main lunch lines!
post #12 of 5172 Old 03-15-2002, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So three of us are within a mile of each-other ... that's easy for meetings . Poor Rick & Greg have to drive about 30-40 minutes to get over here [ I don't remember where Martin said he lived ] .
-- Rick , going to see Curt huh , nice . Did you decide on a unit or are you going to have Curt demo some for you ?
-- Best Wishes All ,
---- Jason B.
post #13 of 5172 Old 03-15-2002, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Demo, school me a little; I'll probably get what he suggests. He says he has a number of nice units to choose from.

I'm still wondering how I can fit one of these beasts into the livingroom. It will fit, it will fit, it will fit...

My Home Theater System
post #14 of 5172 Old 03-15-2002, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hehe , yeah it will fit ...
-- but for a 9" you will need to mount 12"x12" steel beams in your roof to support the weight [ well over 200 lbs. ] . You should reserve a scissor lift from a rental shop now to hoist that thing up to the ceiling , and don't sit right below it - just in case .
-- I would have a 9" if I had the room and the $$$ - hehe , best of Luck . I am sure that Curt will learn ya' .
--- Best Wishes ,
--- Jason B.
post #15 of 5172 Old 03-19-2002, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Got Radeon and dual vid cards thing done - the colors on the Radeon are so much more vibrant - using it for anything non-game.
Actually, it is not bad at some games - just not very fast paced or anything with AA or huge rez.

PS2 on projector is marginal at best; this should be expected. Looking at RF remote controllers and some more games. GTA III is awesome - total freedom to do whatever you want - excellent game. Wait for it to come out on PC; mid APR a source says.

Already have half of the 160 filled with Bond (ABC) and NBC HD demo material; got another one. So far, works very well. I was a little worried, 5400 RPM seems to be enough to do streaming w/full DTV (all 4 subchannels).

[Edited to add 4 subchannels]

My Home Theater System
post #16 of 5172 Old 03-19-2002, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rick ,
-- The Radeon is the way to go , I used a GeForce for a while with great results but Color Saturation from the Radeon is incredible ! [ I use the 7200 SDR which does ok on games @ 864x486 ] .
-- Ready for this weekend , possibly coming home with a 9" crt has to be exciting [ like Christmas as a child - at least it would be for me ] .
-- Would love to see some HD content like that , I may have to get a HiPix .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Does anyone have a suggestion for a Meet sometime in April [ or is April not good ] ?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Best Wishes ,
--- Jason B.
post #17 of 5172 Old 03-20-2002, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I am getting concerned about the brightness, screen size things.
My current setup has 800ANSI; looks like even the best CRT's have ~300.

Even if I get a 1.3 gain screen, I'm not sure I will get the 10' wide pic I want. I think any higher gain for the screen will limit the viewing angle too much and have hot-spotting issues.

Also, I read higher resolutions will produce less light - this makes sense, the beam spends less time on the phospher. I don't want to run a CRT too hot for brightness nor contrast; I don't want to buy one every month .

Maybe some sacrifices will have to be made.

My Home Theater System
post #18 of 5172 Old 03-20-2002, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rick ,
-- I think you will be surprised at how bright a 9 inch CRT PJ actually is , certainly not what your 10HT is but not too bad . With a little light control and some adjusting I am sure that you would find it very appealing . Besides , I bet most of your movie watching is at night . I can watch my little 7" with the light on [ with less PQ & black level ] and it really doesn't bother me too much as long as it is not an important viewing session [ good movie ] . I know direct sunlight is a whole other issue , but I am sure you can work around it .
-- Where did everyone else go ? are we here alone Rick , guess so .
--- Best Wishes ,
---- Jason B.
post #19 of 5172 Old 03-20-2002, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I am looking into Commando drapes now.

Your setup is extreamly well thought-out. The perfect room; dedicated and ceiling goes up at an angle with the highest being your projection wall. A very well setup HTPC.

I, on the other hand, am trying to create a home theater room out of a (still functioning) living room with large bay windows. I will have reflections from the ceiling and walls (can't paint nor drape them). I cannot drape the wall that the screen is going to be on. I am thinking about a pull drape for this (maybe).

Maybe I should add another room - not bloodly likely .

April, huh. Would you be willing to help me setup the new proj (if I get one)? If so, what is your best availability?

I think I will keep the 10HT for awhile until everything gels with the CRT (again, if I get one).

My Home Theater System
post #20 of 5172 Old 03-20-2002, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Rick ,
-- I would be happy to lend a hand with setup , I can probably do a Saturday or Sunday [ have to set it up with my Wife so that she is home to stay with our son ] - just let me know when you need the help .
-- Yeah I am sure it is tough when you have all those things in your way as far as light control goes . My well thought out setup took me weeks to setup , had I actually thought it all out it would have been much easier .
-- If I had the time I would go up to Vancouver with you and give Curt a visit .
-- Did your Daughter enjoy the movie ? I hope so .
-- Best Wishes ,
--- Jason B.
post #21 of 5172 Old 03-20-2002, 09:05 PM

Hi All,

late again to the thread ( as usual ) ....

Well, we now have taken possession of our new home ( meaning a new possession, not a new home ), and it looks as if I may have significantly underestimated the amount of remodel work in the older portion of the home aside from completing the unfinished portion of the building.

Anyway, for the time being we are going to remodel the "old" ( 1962 ) portion of the home as best we can over the next 4 weeks before we actually move in. From that point, we finish off the "new" ( 1995 ) section of the home that is effectively a shell. The room that I have "tagged" as the HT room in the old portion of the home will be the boys' bedroom for now. It is a finished attic space, about 20' x 15' with 7.5' ceilings. I hope that this will be enough to drop a CRT from the ceiling as well as have a raised section at the back of the room ?

Jason - I'm trying to follow your lead and persuade my wife that the best area for the HT is the master bedroom in the "new" section of the home ( a vaulted space above the garage), but no luck so far ......

I'm looking forward to our next meet, and as soon as we have a home that doesn't resemble armageddon ( as in "arm a geddon" out of here ) then you're all welcome to come visit. Going to be a short haul for Greg ( we're out in the Helvetia area between the Rock Creek Tavern and the Helvetia Tavern ) and about a 45 min haul for you Vancouver folks.

I'll follow this thread to track our next meet.

Thanks

Martin
post #22 of 5172 Old 03-21-2002, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the movie was a big hit with her; we watched it during dinners for 4 nights. Supprisingly good xfer. Thanks.

My Home Theater System
post #23 of 5172 Old 03-21-2002, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Martin ,
-- Congratulations on the new home ! I had a rough time of it , convincing the wife took some bargaining . Glad to see you made it back to the forum , I was wondering what had happened to you .
-----------------------------------------------------------
Rick ,
-- Great , glad it was a hit with her [ my son loves it too ] .
-- So I wonder if Greg fell into one of his Subs and can't find his way out [ since those cabinets are probably as big as a small car - hehe ] .
--- Anyone want to offer to host the next meet , or should we just hang out someplace and BS ? It seems that everyone is right in the middle of changing things around [ except for krag - hint,hint,wink,wink - love to see and hear that incredible setup ] , which is always going to happen with a group of HT enthusiasts .
--- Does April 21st [ Sunday afternoon ] work for everyone ? Suggestions are welcome for a Location ....
-- Best Wishes All ,
---- Jason B.
post #24 of 5172 Old 03-21-2002, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The 21st should be OK for me; by that time I may even be able to host it. Only problem is the drive for others.

I would like to get the blackouts first and (if I get one) have everything setup and converged prior.

My Home Theater System
post #25 of 5172 Old 03-21-2002, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I had to send my amp for repair the relay failed. dunno when I will get it back. So maybe if my system is together I can host.
post #26 of 5172 Old 03-21-2002, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

-- Ok , well if all else fails I will host again with my poor mans system [ if everyone else's HT has the flu bug - mine had it at the last meet but some good antibiotics have cleared things up ] . Providing that everyone is up for the drive to Vancouver again of course . Next time can be a bit more organized with some drink and snacks , maybe even watch a movie ... nah - it's more fun to BS .
-- So April 21st is the plan , Location will be worked out within the next few weeks .
-- I wish you all the best with your HT's .
--- Jason B.
post #27 of 5172 Old 03-22-2002, 03:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

I managed to crawl out of my subwoofers long enough to find this thread. I'd be willing to host the April meet... the subs should be done by then. However, people will be forced to watch my 55" 4:3 RPTV .

Recently, I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to fit a projector into my house (lots of long narrow rooms). I also got to see a Vidikron vision 2 + Faroudja (quad) scaler setup recently (on a 92" Stewart screen). Jason, the picture on your setup was definitely better... I guess that proves that proper calibration & setup are essential!

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on this thread now...
post #28 of 5172 Old 03-22-2002, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The Stereo Design - room 6? Almost $40K for the proj and doubler - YIKES!Just shows what someone (Jason) can do with an HTPC and a (3) CRT(s).

I have always felt that the HTPC setup can do better; there is much more processing power in them now compared to the esoteric systems of yore.

Do you know the rez that system was running at?

If it was Stereo Design (CA), what did you think about their sound system - mostly Meridian (at a cost over 100K)?

[Added real name of vendor found on Google search]

My Home Theater System
post #29 of 5172 Old 03-23-2002, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

-- that just goes to show that HTPC is king since a Vision 2 should easily bypass the PQ of my little 1031Q [ properly set up of course ] . But it does make me feel good to know that my very inexpensive system can do what it does , it performs well [ thanks to Greg & Rick for the kind words ] . It is better now then last time you all visited so I must be at the G90/9500LC level now - I wish .
-- I built the CAT 5 VGA cable for the 1031Q and it does work well . I think I need to find some solid core CAT 5 instead of the stranded type that I used [ I used shielded of course ] . It works as good as any VGA cable that I have used and would certainly cost much less than any custom VGA cable . I wonder how long of a run this would sustain a clear VGA signal , whole house VGA via CAT 5 would be a fun thing to play with .
-- Best Wishes ,
--- Jason B.
post #30 of 5172 Old 03-24-2002, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I would try cat 5e and solid core copper - better signal xfer.

I spoke with Curt for ~45 minutes yesterday. He said 2 of the units he currently had in stock might be what I am looking for - a Barco 1208 and a 1209.

I saw him today and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He has the 1208 already set up. I brought my HTPC and we spent the next 3 hours looking at some HD demo stuff from NBC I recorded and some stuff he has through a scaler (I think it was a quad operating in triple).

He also set up the 1209 (very quick and dirty - he really knows what he is doing).

Both projectors were very bright. The way ANSI does it's thing to compute lumens is different than the lumen spec. ANSI samples areas of the image (I think 9) and averages the output. An ANSI spec for a CRT unit will surly suffer with this type of calculation - they project less light in the corners. This is correctable, though and A CRT can project a uniformly bright image (as you hvae seen from Jason's setup). Live and learn .

I can host the next meeting if no one minds the drive.

My Home Theater System
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page