Edmonton, Alberta, CAN Theater Owners - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 1292 Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would be interested in joining the group ...

This is my 'old' theatre ... everything has changed since these pics (the location is the same ... the room construction and equipment has changed).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2&postcount=51

Derrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1292 Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcleod View Post

This is my 'old' theatre ... everything has changed since these pics (the location is the same ... the room construction and equipment has changed).

Derrick

Of course welcome aboard! We are working towards this chapters first meet and greet. My hope is do what other similar groups have done and tour our local home theaters and show off our hard work. Also it can be great place to be understood, I apparently sound like another language to my wife.

Take care, and thanks for checking us out. BTW, not that you don't already know, but man you have some amazing gear! Congrats!!

Zulu
post #33 of 1292 Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

If anyone in this thread would like, this could be a great place to post some photos of your theater, even if your just in the build process, and for others just looking for ideas who have joined why not make a wish list and post it? Maybe this way we can share some great ideas already in use, and contribute others who are building their dream.

I think it would be fantastic, and we could try to post as many as four or five photos to give a sense of what the room and gear are. As well if anyone is just in the middle of upgrading their set-up then this could also be an excellent way to deliever a good "before" shot, for comparison later. As we all know, experience and wisdom is the product of many mistakes before, so now we can aim to help each other avoid some of those, such as, businesses with a good reputation, sales staff that rock, and building tips galore.

Thanks again!
Zulu

post #34 of 1292 Old 10-02-2010, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

post #35 of 1292 Old 10-02-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Of course welcome aboard! We are working towards this chapters first meet and greet. My hope is do what other similar groups have done and tour our local home theaters and show off our hard work. Also it can be great place to be understood, I apparently sound like another language to my wife.

Take care, and thanks for checking us out. BTW, not that you don't already know, but man you have some amazing gear! Congrats!!

Zulu

Thanks for the kind words ... you did a beautiful job with your room ... as you will eventually see ... I went with a grey/black combination.
post #36 of 1292 Old 10-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcleod View Post

Derrick

I am working on getting pictures done of my 'new' theatre ... as mentioned above ... pretty well everything has changed (except screen and anamorphic lens):

- Room - new drywall (Quietrock); insulation (Roxul); flooring (carpet and tile is gone, replaced with floating floor and new carpet with acoustic underlay)
- Projector - VW50 replaced with VW200
- Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance
- Blu-Ray - Pioneer Elite
- Surround Processor - Mark Levinson
- Amplification - Mark Levinson
- Speakers - Marten Design
- Subs - none (I know, blasphemy ... although I am considering adding a couple of them)
- Control System - Crestron (controlled via iPad)

This room is also used for 2 channel listening ... therefore I have left out listing some gear since the focus of the thread and meetup is HT.

Derrick
post #37 of 1292 Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

Awesome!
post #38 of 1292 Old 10-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I think it would be fantastic, and we could try to post as many as four or five photos to give a sense of what the room and gear are.

Thanks again!
Zulu

Oh Geeze, that might be a tad embarrassing for me. The room is a mess, the gear is old and I'm moving pretty slow.

Equipment wise I'm in the middle of upgrading:
Projector - Epson 8500
Screen - SeymourAV. I ordered enough material to do a 138" diagonal screen. The finished screen size is still to be determined.
Speakers, right now I have a mix of JBL, Infinity and 25 year old Sony's. My plan is to go with in-walls / in-ceilings. The speakers behind the screen won't actually be in the wall though. I'm going to build boxes for them. For the new speakers I was thinking about Speakercraft Cinema One's for LCR duty and Speakercraft Aim Wide One for surround duty. I know I'm sacrificing sound with the in-walls but they were a big part of my wife "OK'ing" new speakers.
AVR - Ten year old Pioneer that's not worth mentioning. Will probably upgrade to a newer Pioneer, I've had good luck with Pioneer stuff.
DVD - Again ,Ten year old Pioneer.
Blu-Ray - Not yet purchased.

Here's a picture of the room right now:
We sold the entertainment unit so my equipment is just sitting on the TV for now.

We are going to flip the room and put the screen on the wall with the window in it. It was actually my wife's idea to lose that window.

P.S.
NEVER paint stripes on your walls. It took me two days to sand and mud the walls so they were flat again! That was a bad experiment!
post #39 of 1292 Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredDime View Post

We are going to flip the room and put the screen on the wall with the window in it. It was actually my wife's idea to lose that window.

This sounds like a good new set-up for you! I like the increased length concept for the room/viewing area. It would appear to offer more options?

As for gear: That's one hell of a sweet projector!! I would like to see it in action one day, so many good reviews! AVR's are like pets, you love 'em all their life...but one day it's just time to put Sparky down and move on to a new pup. There are several members to this thread who could be of great assistance with tips for you in the new gear dept. I too have become a huge Pioneer fan.

Thanks for sharing guys!

EDIT: Nice Nintendo collection! Classic NES!!! Can you play Duck Hunt?
post #40 of 1292 Old 10-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:

EDIT: Nice Nintendo collection! Classic NES!!! Can you play Duck Hunt?

I don't have Duck Hunt anymore. It got lost in a move along with my copy of Contra. I've been thinking of heading down to the flea market one of these days to see if I can find new copies of both.
post #41 of 1292 Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:

This sounds like a good new set-up for you! I like the increased length concept for the room/viewing area. It would appear to offer more options?

I think turning the room was / will be a good idea. Further along that striped wall is an alcove for a fireplace that I plan to install. The idea right now is to do that entire wall in stackstone. The wall 90 degrees to the right has a wall unit running the entire lenght of the room with a 265 gallon fish tank flanked by book cases. I'm hoping it all looks nice when completed.
post #42 of 1292 Old 10-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Zulu

I just saw your PM. Thanks for the invitation and I would love to be involved.

My current interests are in streaming media (watching the Dune products closely) and audio calibration. I have struggled with bass setup for years. It would be great to be involved in a local group and learn from the collective experience.

Darryl
post #43 of 1292 Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I received the invite too. Thanks. This is something I would be interested in too.

I have a temporary setup right now. I am using a 40" tv in place of a projector and screen at the moment. Not too sure when I will start looking for one. This setup will do for now. At least my speakers are all hooked up.

Just noticed a sale on the Emotiva UPA-5. If I had the 400 to spare I would be all over it.

Currently watching the Oilers destroy the flames!!! The year is looking better already.

post #44 of 1292 Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkb View Post

I received the invite too. Thanks. This is something I would be interested in too.

I have a temporary setup right now. I am using a 40" tv in place of a projector and screen at the moment. Not too sure when I will start looking for one. This setup will do for now. At least my speakers are all hooked up.

Just noticed a sale on the Emotiva UPA-5. If I had the 400 to spare I would be all over it.

Currently watching the Oilers destroy the flames!!! The year is looking better already.

Emotiva makes me happy! I agree!! Sounds like a good deal, maybe we should create a loans division! ahahahahaha

Thanks for joining us!
post #45 of 1292 Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post

Zulu

I just saw your PM. Thanks for the invitation and I would love to be involved.

My current interests are in streaming media (watching the Dune products closely) and audio calibration. I have struggled with bass setup for years. It would be great to be involved in a local group and learn from the collective experience.

Darryl

Welcome aboard!!! I will post a sort of newsletter update soon.

Thanks for taking part again! This is great place to share ideas and tips or advice. I hope we can all get together soon, and take the chance to visit our completed or continuing creations over the next months. Each member is really bringing such useful and unique skills to this group, it is fantastic!

Zulu
post #46 of 1292 Old 10-08-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Welcome to all our members!!

This is going to be a fantastic October long weekend, with warm weather and plenty of sunshine...yet, I dreamed all week of sitting in my dark room, listening to loud music and watching epic movies. AHAHA Awesome!!

We are creeping towards November and discussion of our First Meet and Greet has already begun. I would really like to attempt one of these a month, and if some members can make it (or all) then the option to attend another month would be available. Again, I should point out, I am doing this to improve my own social interactions with others who speak our language...A guy who sits at my lunch table today said to me "...a speaker is a speaker, I don't see the big deal!?!" I only felt alone, and sad for him then I said "Come to my house, you may not see the difference, but you WILL hear it." And hence, I am starting this thread for us all, so we can share, encourage and offer tips and advice to each other. Such as this tip: My wife likes to shop for used bagains at the Value Village. It's just her sick obsession, she goes through everything and buys $4.00 shoes (if you have been the told by your wife/ girlfriend/ partner, the difference between Goodwill and Value Village, you are in my company of compassion). Well, on 34th ave (and 99th street?) there is a Value Village...AND a Visions electronics and a Memory Express side by side sharing a parking lot. So the tip goes, as I drop her off I go over to the "fun" stores and have my "obsession" too!! Works everytime!

The one date mentioned for us has been Nov. 6th. Two members have said that this presented a challenge to their scheduals and would not be able to attend. So, please offer another date, or second the motion to the 6th, buy replying, and indicating it.

I will suggest that we each bring a toonie, and I will bring a case (Costco size) of Coke or Pepsi or Ice Tea. If the host permits food at their home, then can set the rules for what they allow or will provide as a courtesy. If it works out that the host for that month's venue would like to devate from any of this that is their perogative of course. As well if the group wants to provide their own beverages, or to bring a beer (eh?), then I think it is reasonable that the host post what if any rules they have for that visit.

Also, I guess we could take some suggestions for who would like to host first? I know some members have already expressed an interest in this, but I would like to offer every one a chance. As well, it could prove to be useful in the event of unforeseen circumstances, if we had a second back-up site for each month there is a visit so that we are all ensured chance to hangout. The second site back up can still host as location at another month too?

...how does all that sound? Feedback?

Looking forward to it!
Aaron (Zulu)

*** EDIT: well I think the math I offered of bringing a toonie for pop is too much, unless you plan to drink like four or five!! So maybe, just throw in a dollar for as many as you can drink! hahaha Math is hard
post #47 of 1292 Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Aaron,

I think Nov 6th would work fine for me.

I am all in agreement that the host should make all the rules regarding food and beverages. Likely will require ability to limit the number of people (hopefully there will be good interest). I would not worry about cost of toonie versus loonie. In fact I would recommend $5.00 as cost. If someone is willing to have me over for movie and snacks, that seems reasonable to me.

I am currently downloading a 1080p demo disk that was created at the following AVSForum site: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18826031 (hopefully inserted the link correctly). If I can get this copied onto bluray disk it might be fun to try on different systems.

Darryl
post #48 of 1292 Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Membership

SeveredDime
calv1n
Glimmerman911
HDgaming42
dmcleod
AltaHomeTheatre
jakkb
zuluwalker
mbfleming
Scopeguy
BRAC
optoguy
Quill

New members are welcome.

I am working on developing a safety system or proof of intent, so that as members open their homes up for host sites that we can maintain safety for all. I have already met with one member and can verify another member as true owners with good intentions. At this time if anyone would like to invite me personally out to view their equipment alone, I will be able to certainly speak to your ownership. I know some owners have very expensive equipment, and have spent considerable resources in time and energy, so it is wise that anyone wishing to protect or ensure their homes, will be met with my personal understanding and I am sure that of the membership. Therefore I will continue to work out a secure or best possible practices, method of helping to keep everyone as transparent as we can until such a time in the future when we develop a relationship. This is not fail safe or guarentee, but again limiting our exposure to undesirable or irresponsible actions will make us all feel safe enough to hopefully one day offer to host, no matter the size or level of expense put forth. One of the areas I am already cautious of, but not judging for merit, is members who join AVS the month of a hosting and post little more than a few times.

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to share them with me, I have a few, but am very open to more.

Zulu
post #49 of 1292 Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Hey everyone,

I am working out a possible cool first meeting location for us. I am hoping to have more details within a week. As I am seeing the plan at this time, there will be our cool mystery location (soon to be revealed), and a restaurant. At which time we can get to know each other and discuss our next meeting place.

I am out trying to make visits to members homes before our first actual host night (after the first inital meet and greet, date not set).

Enjoy this amazing weather and don't forget to rake your leaves!!

Zulu
post #50 of 1292 Old 10-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
zuluwalker asked me to post photos of my equipment here to see if the Edmonton group has any interest. These photos have already appeared in the speaker and subwoofer forums. I'm willing to bring my subwoofer to Edmonton for a meet, but I would need a truck and another person to help me move it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18568667

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19220184

post #51 of 1292 Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

I noticed the baseboard heat in the first picture and thought, "Is he in an apartment, his neighbors must despise him!"

Very nice equipment, I bet it sounds great.
post #52 of 1292 Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi Aaron
I got your PM and would like to be involved. The 6th would work for me. I'm also flexible. I will follow the thread.

Calvin and I have met up before, which reminds me, I have to return his light meter...

Look forward to hearing more.

Greg
post #53 of 1292 Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeguy View Post

Hi Aaron
I got your PM and would like to be involved. The 6th would work for me. I'm also flexible. I will follow the thread.

Calvin and I have met up before, which reminds me, I have to return his light meter...

Look forward to hearing more.

Greg

Fantastic!!! Welcome to the club, hahaha!

I am hoping to post details this weekend, regarding the first meet and greet on the 6th of November.
post #54 of 1292 Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Loving this idea. The 6th works for me ATM.

Not sure how we'll weed out the undesirables. Zulu, you're welcome to PM me to meet up at some point so you can ascertain if I'm worthy.

My gear is nothing to write home about, but I'm toying around with purchasing a house with my wife next year, and I would love to get ideas on theatre construction. Would like to do it correctly the first time.

Or at least this time.

I can't really offer to host as my room sits two--but I could probably haul over a scaler or two one night if anyone is interested.

I've got 1 guy at work who tolerates my tech talk, but he's just not as in to it as I am. Its always refreshing to talk to people who share the same passion(s)!
post #55 of 1292 Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Great news Everyone!!

Nov. 6, Meet and Greet

Our first Meet and Greet for November the 6th has been revealed...Due to the hardwork, and great networking of one of our fellow members, he was able to ask his contacts for permission to give us some special accomodations for the 6th.

We have a super awesome location, please PM me to receive details and an address, plus the time of the meeting.

Zulu
post #56 of 1292 Old 10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

I've been meaning to respond to this pm for awhile now, but I got busy with Cedia and other stuff, then I forgot about it. A pm from mbfleming a few days ago actually reminded me about it. Looks like things are moving along nicely so far. I would definitely be up for a little show and tell...

Regards.
post #57 of 1292 Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Hi All,

I've been meaning to respond to this pm for awhile now, but I got busy with Cedia and other stuff, then I forgot about it. A pm from mbfleming a few days ago actually reminded me about it. Looks like things are moving along nicely so far. I would definitely be up for a little show and tell...

Regards.

Hello BRAC, welcome aboard! The group is growing and that is good as it will offer us variety and diversity.

Zulu
post #58 of 1292 Old 10-17-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Hello Everyone,

Well, we are growing and that is good. So far we have a total of 11 members who have expressed an interest in the group. That's excellent. Having lived in the real world too, I know not every one of us will be able to attend the Meets, so having extra bodies around keeps us from having only member show up when it's say, maybe your time to host...that would suck. I have read few a few of these Meet and Greet Threads (Area Home Theater Owners), and I have a feeling for what some of them operate like and I want to share my vision.

Many of the threads I have spent some time on, have more than, or at least 10 members. My impression is that the host site is not really somewhere to go enjoy a full movie and sit for two hours or more and have a great spot and to sit in the dark uninterrupted. Instead it is a moment for the host to do what is their one pleasure (and greatest social taboo), to Brag and Show off, and run demos!! I know I am aware my friends can't stomach very much disc switching and explanations, or "what to listen for here is..." so this is our moment.

How does it look? Well, I have compiled these few photos to show that what seems wrong, is just plain right!

(Some of these are from the Los Angeles Theater Owners Thread on AVS.)

So as seen here having more members than seats can and does work. How does the group feel though about limiting the size to say our current number or setting a growth limit and then number of membership? Not everyone will attend every time, but what if we did, could someone as a host be okay with that? It's just some for food for thought as it is our group, I only started the Thread and feel comfortable at this point helping do some of the organizing, all members should feel free to give their input too. Majority rules. And if do not put a limit on membership, let's hope one of us gets a screen this big!!?!!ahhahaha

Zulu
post #59 of 1292 Old 10-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
The Los Angeles area has a population of about 10 million people within a 90 minute drive, so a meet there will certainly have a good turnout. I wouldn't worry about too many people showing up to a meet in Edmonton. I only care about meeting like minded people; I'll sit on the floor if I have to. It's so hard to find a time and place that everyone can agree on, not having a comfy chair is a minor inconvenience. Meets won't happen very often, so I suggest let it be and don't turn anyone away. It is important however to set a date far enough in advance so people can make plans.

You sir, are a true geek if your concern is making sure everyone is within the acoustic sweet spot.

P.S. in that last photo with everyone in front of the huge screen, was that someone's house?
post #60 of 1292 Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

The Los Angeles area has a population of about 10 million people within a 90 minute drive, so a meet there will certainly have a good turnout. I wouldn't worry about too many people showing up to a meet in Edmonton. I only care about meeting like minded people; I'll sit on the floor if I have to. It's so hard to find a time and place that everyone can agree on, not having a comfy chair is a minor inconvenience. Meets won't happen very often, so I suggest let it be and don't turn anyone away. It is important however to set a date far enough in advance so people can make plans.

You sir, are a true geek if your concern is making sure everyone is within the acoustic sweet spot.

P.S. in that last photo with everyone in front of the huge screen, was that someone's house?

Not sure if it's someone's house or not, but that is a pool table in front it, doesn't seem very commercial theater like. Truth is I just don't know.

My hope too is that group grows, but I would like the membership to decide how the group manages it's own growth. I am pretty sure the vast majority of people in edmonton have no intention of owning systems like the ones we dream of, let alone spending their money on high end gear...so you're right there that we would only draw a select few. Take note though, the LA thread had not many more members at some of those meets! It can be done!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page