Edmonton, Alberta, CAN Theater Owners - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #61 of 1292 Old 10-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not too sure if you've already reached the "maximum capacity" for the Edmonton theater owners group, but I would be interested in joining as well. I've been really busy these past year with a new daughter, but still get into the theater occasionally (rarely is probably a better term...) It's nice to see there's others that are local that share this addiction! I did meet a few other Edmonton members at another guys house to try different speakers, but I can't remember their avs names at the moment (Captain Crunch?)

Darren A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1292 Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by optoguy View Post

Not too sure if you've already reached the "maximum capacity" for the Edmonton theater owners group, but I would be interested in joining as well. I've been really busy these past year with a new daughter, but still get into the theater occasionally (rarely is probably a better term...) It's nice to see there's others that are local that share this addiction! I did meet a few other Edmonton members at another guys house to try different speakers, but I can't remember their avs names at the moment (Captain Crunch?)

Darren A.

Come on in and make yourself at home. We have yet to discuss the topic of group size with any detail, so feel free to call this your group too! Welcome.

Please, as I have asked in the past, post any photos you may have of your room or gear, or combination of those two. It gives us a face to the name if you will! hahahaha kidding, it just makes the group more connected and centric. This is a Home Theater Owners group!

We are having our first Meet and Greet on Nov. 6th, at 4:30pm.

Zulu
post #63 of 1292 Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the welcome, zuluwalker. I don't have much for pictures right now - been finishing the basement of our house and the home theater has become more of a storage area right now! Hopefully soon though...

Unfortunately I'll be gone on Nov. 6/10, but hopefully I can make it to the next one. And post some pics of the meet; always nice to put a name to a face. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread though.

Darren A.

post #64 of 1292 Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post

Aaron,

I am currently downloading a 1080p demo disk that was created at the following AVSForum site: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18826031 (hopefully inserted the link correctly). If I can get this copied onto bluray disk it might be fun to try on different systems.

Darryl

I've been following that thread as well. How long did it take you to download? I don't have a bluray burner, but I might try downloading it for the future just in case. I did see the option to buy it directly from him, but $50 US is a bit much unless I know it will work on my bluray player (older Panasonic BRP 35) I see it didn't work on the Panasonic 60 player, so i'm a bit hesitant. Sounds like it would be a great demo though.

Darren
post #65 of 1292 Old 10-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I've been following that thread as well. How long did it take you to download? I don't have a bluray burner, but I might try downloading it for the future just in case. I did see the option to buy it directly from him, but $50 US is a bit much unless I know it will work on my bluray player (older Panasonic BRP 35) I see it didn't work on the Panasonic 60 player, so i'm a bit hesitant. Sounds like it would be a great demo though.

Darren

Darren,

It took a long time to download - approximately 5 days. I do have a blu-ray burner but have not been able to find any 50Gb discs. I also tried streaming it but have not had any success yet. I am still learning about streaming and want to ensure that I dont compromise the quality. If I can find discs I would be happy to make a copy for you.

Darryl
post #66 of 1292 Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Darryl,

Ah - 5 days to download. That would be why people were saying it takes so long to download! If you do find the discs and could make me a copy, that would be great. I'll pay you for the trouble (and the blank blurays as well)!

Darren

Quote:

Darren,

It took a long time to download - approximately 5 days. I do have a blu-ray burner but have not been able to find any 50Gb discs. I also tried streaming it but have not had any success yet. I am still learning about streaming and want to ensure that I dont compromise the quality. If I can find discs I would be happy to make a copy for you.

Darryl

post #67 of 1292 Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Darryl,

Ah - 5 days to download. That would be why people were saying it takes so long to download! If you do find the discs and could make me a copy, that would be great. I'll pay you for the trouble (and the blank blurays as well)!

Darren

Darren,
Once I make a copy you can try in your BD player to see if it works. I have copied it into AVCHD format and put onto USB hard disk. I can attach and play through my PS3. From the little I have watched so far, it is an excellent demo disc.

I do wish that the demo was half the size. It would be easier (and cheaper) to put on a BD. It would also be much easier to download.

Are you going to the first meet? If so, look forward to meeting you as I plan on being there.
Darryl
post #68 of 1292 Old 10-30-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

OOOOOOOoooo!

New Oppo BDP-93 coming soon...with what looks a lot like a five disc changer!?!

No details posted yet, but the photo is interesting and appears to have a large tray door.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

EDIT - darn! It's just a flap to cover the buttons...foo! Now I am back to thinking of ways to get my Blu-rays into one machine like the Sony Mega Changer (400 discs), or maybe some affordable Hard Drive set up???
post #69 of 1292 Old 11-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Darryl,

I don't think I'll be able to make it as I have a birthday party that same night.
If anything changes though i'll definitely be coming. Zuluwalker sent me the info - sounds like it'll be a great first meet!

Darren

Quote:

Darren,
Once I make a copy you can try in your BD player to see if it works. I have copied it into AVCHD format and put onto USB hard disk. I can attach and play through my PS3. From the little I have watched so far, it is an excellent demo disc.

I do wish that the demo was half the size. It would be easier (and cheaper) to put on a BD. It would also be much easier to download.

Are you going to the first meet? If so, look forward to meeting you as I plan on being there.
Darryl

post #70 of 1292 Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Hey--just stumbled across this thread...does Sherwood Park count?

If so, count me in! (disclaimer: I don't have a dedicated HT room--yet. We're looking at house plans though - so I can retire my 60" TV in favor of a projector and a dedicated HT room!).
post #71 of 1292 Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post

Hey--just stumbled across this thread...does Sherwood Park count?

If so, count me in! (disclaimer: I don't have a dedicated HT room--yet. We're looking at house plans though - so I can retire my 60" TV in favor of a projector and a dedicated HT room!).

Quill!!! Welcome.

You just sneaked under the wire buddy. We have our first meet coming up here on Saturday at 4:30pm. I will wire you a PM with details.

No problem on having just started your journey into Home Theaters, however the group is for owners. So if you plans are serious and you are undertaking the creation of one, then come aboard. The issue mainly becomes tricky when the main purpose of the group is to invite members to each other's homes to view and show our Theaters, easily you can see the disadvantage in not being able to visit someones home if they do not have one. If you planning to build and have good intentions, I am more than sure the group is excited to have you aboard. This is really more of fail safe against test pilots and individuals with negative intentions. We all had to start out at one time or another, so it could be a great place to get tips and find help with common problems, or unique issues in building your dream.

I look forward to seeing you this weekend!
Zulu
post #72 of 1292 Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Membership

SeveredDime
calv1n
Glimmerman911
HDgaming42
dmcleod
AltaHomeTheatre
jakkb
zuluwalker
mbfleming
Scopeguy
BRAC
optoguy
Quill

As of Nov.6th, 2010
post #73 of 1292 Old 11-06-2010, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

What huge success!!!

At the last Meet and Greet, we were given a private tour of the facilities at National AV, ate dinner at Original Joe's, and went to Zuluwalker's home to watch demos on his system.

BRAC gave everyone and myself a huge tip on Dolby TrueHD (maybe you can speak more to this BRAC?) and how it has been affecting my surround sound on my system; and other members found the information extremely useful too.

In attendance:
BRAC
AltaHomeTheatre
Scopeguy
dmcleod
Zuluwalker

With the holiday season upon us, and scheduals becoming busy and more hectic, the members in attendance voted in favour of holding the next Meet and Greet in January of 2011.

Thank you to everyone who notified me in advance of their not being able to attend, it was appreciated. I look forward to meeting with you, and the group, in the New Year.

Zulu
post #74 of 1292 Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Hi All,

I've been meaning to respond to this pm for awhile now, but I got busy with Cedia and other stuff, then I forgot about it. A pm from mbfleming a few days ago actually reminded me about it. Looks like things are moving along nicely so far. I would definitely be up for a little show and tell...

Regards.

Oh man BRAC, I just watched I Am Legend again, for the first time with TrueHD and it made such a difference...so much so, that by the time I finished watching I was more depressed and lonely than I ever have been before while watching it...WHAT AMAZING SOUND!!!! I honestly felt crushed in the story by the sound of isolation....just extraordinary!!!

THANK YOU!!! I feel like I bought a whole new set up of gear!!!
post #75 of 1292 Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Oh man BRAC, I just watched I Am Legend again, for the first time with TrueHD and it made such a difference...so much so, that by the time I finished watching I was more depressed and lonely than I ever have been before while watching it...WHAT AMAZING SOUND!!!! I honestly felt crushed in the story by the sound of isolation....just extraordinary!!!

THANK YOU!!! I feel like I bought a whole new set up of gear!!!

First, I'd like to thank zuluwalker for hosting our first meet. It's always refreshing to be around other folks who enjoy this hobby as much as I. And, it is not often that I get to discuss HT with "real people" away from the forum. Most of my friends and family already think I'm crazy...

Zuluwalker, I'm glad we were able to help you settle your differences with Mr. Dolby. As it turns out, it was the -4dB Dial.Norm offset, "automatically activated when playing Dolby Digital sources", that was ruining the TrueHD experience for zulu. I took the quoted part straight from my Denon 3808 manual. Once we applied the 4dB back on the master volume, problem solved. To clarify, if you watch your DTS tracks at -10dB from reference, to achieve roughly the same impact from a Dolby track you would need to be set at -6dB from reference. Keep in mind that there may still be some differences track to track not related to this offset. The other strange anomaly we encountered was with The Dark Night BD. The TrueHD track was triggering the DRC(Dynamic Range Control) to turn on in his PS3 settings. It's basically like having Night Mode on at all times. Be aware, some other discs have triggered these functions in AVR's/processors and BD players. If you are sending LPCM it usually triggers in your BD player and if you are bitstreaming it usually triggers in your AVR/processor. I had the same issue with the Iron Man BD. It was triggering the DRC function in my Denon 3808. AVS is a great source for confirming any strange anomalies you may encounter.

I'm looking forward to our next meet in the new year...

Regards.
post #76 of 1292 Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What huge success!!!

At the last Meet and Greet, we were given a private tour of the facilities at National AV, ate dinner at Original Joe's, and went to Zuluwalker's home to watch demos on his system.

BRAC gave everyone and myself a huge tip on Dolby TrueHD (maybe you can speak more to this BRAC?) and how it has been affecting my surround sound on my system; and other members found the information extremely useful too.

In attendance:
BRAC
AltaHomeTheatre
Scopeguy
dmcleod
Zuluwalker

With the holiday season upon us, and scheduals becoming busy and more hectic, the members in attendance voted in favour of holding the next Meet and Greet in January of 2011.

Thank you to everyone who notified me in advance of their not being able to attend, it was appreciated. I look forward to meeting with you, and the group, in the New Year.

Zulu

Btw, it was great to meet all of you.
post #77 of 1292 Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

What huge success!!!

In attendance:
BRAC
AltaHomeTheatre
Scopeguy
dmcleod
Zuluwalker

Zulu

First of all ... thanks to Zuluwalker for hosting everyone ... I was great to see/hear his system in person ... I really enjoyed being able to meet everyone and look forward to the next meeting.

Also, thanks to BRAC for his tip regarding Night Mode/Dynamic Range Compression ... I knew about these modes, however, I had no idea they could be triggered via a disc. I immediately checked my Blu-Ray player and discovered the DRC was set to 'Auto' ... and changed it to 'Off'.

I also need to thank National AV for allowing us to use their facilities as well as the great tour of the different rooms that was given (thanks Wade) ... definitely above and beyond the call of duty.
post #78 of 1292 Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcleod View Post

I also need to thank National AV for allowing us to use their facilities as well as the great tour of the different rooms that was given (thanks Wade) ... definitely above and beyond the call of duty.

For sure!

I'll second that...
post #79 of 1292 Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Hello Everyone!!!

We are approaching the holiday season, and everyone is getting really busy, let's try to generate some ideas for the next month so when we start-up again for 2011 in January we can get rolling. I am pumped! We have already had one great Meet and Greet. For our first launch arrangements had been made by dmcleod for us to tour and use the facilities at National AV (Thanks again to the staff! It was great to learn more about projectors and future technologies), afterwards we went out for dinner and drinks, and ended up back at Zuluwalker's place for demo material and a lesson in Dolby TrueHD from BRAC. I have to say, that I was very hesitant to buy any TrueHD movies before that, but now I am very excited by the sheer difference and "WOW" factor I am getting with it!!!

Current membership:

SeveredDime
calv1n
Glimmerman911
HDgaming42
dmcleod
AltaHomeTheatre
jakkb
zuluwalker
mbfleming
Scopeguy
BRAC
optoguy
Quill

Thanks to Scopeguy who made the drive up from Red Deer to join us!

I know that from month to month we will differ the way, and where we meet, so it is going to be good for lot's of input. Please send your ideas here to the thread so they might generate some discussion, or of course as always if you have a private thought then feel free to PM, either members, or myself.

So...what would we like to do in 2011?

Zulu
post #80 of 1292 Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I want to have a subwoofer shootout; hopefully someone else can host because I live in an apartment. I'll go rent a truck to bring my SUB 2 up to Edmonton if this happens. It will take some planning because I can't move the SUB 2 by myself. I'm eager to compare my sub to BRAC's Seaton Submersive HP's or any other sub. I've read so much about "internet direct" and other subwoofers that it's time for somebody to put them in the same room for a direct comparison. It should make for a fun afternoon.
post #81 of 1292 Old 11-14-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfleming View Post

I want to have a subwoofer shootout; hopefully someone else can host because I live in an apartment. I'll go rent a truck to bring my SUB 2 up to Edmonton if this happens. It will take some planning because I can't move the SUB 2 by myself. I'm eager to compare my sub to BRAC's Seaton Submersive HP's or any other sub. I've read so much about "internet direct" and other subwoofers that it's time for somebody to put them in the same room for a direct comparison. It should make for a fun afternoon.

I am in!!!! That sounds like a blast!! ahaha
post #82 of 1292 Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Why, are you not happy with your Sub 2?

Seriously though, a sub shootout could prove to be a very difficult event to organize. We would need a fairly sizable location and as you mentioned, plenty of help moving these beasts around. My room(12x11) is WAY too small. But, it sure would be fun!

Btw, mbfleming, I may be down in your neck of the woods sometime in early December. It would be awesome to hear that Sub 2 in action. Are you able to let her rip from time to time?
post #83 of 1292 Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:

Pull the fire alarm, and then sneak back in and blast that sick puppy till your ears leak fluid!!!!

(not actually recommended or suggested, and may be harmful to your health.)

post #84 of 1292 Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
BRAC, I'll send you a PM.

I have cranked it up on occasion. I usually don't spare the volume when watching movies on weekends. Most of my neighbours are young and (I think) tolerant of noise. The neighbour above me once gave me a gift card to apologize for an all night party they had. I wish he invited me over instead.

I have one neighbour sharing a common wall that isn't concrete, but their son is usually here watching the movie with us when it's loud. I've tried to keep demos a bit lower since I found out I knocked the clock off their wall. I should ask if it smashed when it hit the floor, and offer to pay for it if it did.

I want to listen to my sub where I don't have to worry about angering neighbours; preferably not my place so I can skip town afterwards.
post #85 of 1292 Old 11-15-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

BRAC, I'll send you a PM.

I have cranked it up on occasion. I usually don't spare the volume when watching movies on weekends. Most of my neighbours are young and (I think) tolerant of noise. The neighbour above me once gave me a gift card to apologize for an all night party they had. I wish he invited me over instead.

I have one neighbour sharing a common wall that isn't concrete, but their son is usually here watching the movie with us when it's loud. I've tried to keep demos a bit lower since I found out I knocked the clock off their wall. I should ask if it smashed when it hit the floor, and offer to pay for it if it did.

I want to listen to my sub where I don't have to worry about angering neighbours; preferably not my place so I can skip town afterwards.

Sounds good...

Lucky guy. In my last apartment/condo arrangment my neighbors were not so kind. The one to the side called the cops on me for watching a movie in the middle of the day at a very modest volume level. We are talking about a tiny KEF 3005 satellite system here. Ridiculous right?

Plus, I used to get little sticky notes placed on my door all the time about making too much noise. One note accused me of vacuuming and doing my laundry in the middle of the night. I have never done either of those things in the middle of the night, ever! I was so glad when I finally got out of that place.
post #86 of 1292 Old 11-19-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

post #87 of 1292 Old 11-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Do any of us own an Emotiva Amp?

Emotiva is on my short list of amps when it comes time.
post #88 of 1292 Old 11-21-2010, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Do any of us own an Emotiva Amp?

No...

Although, Emotiva amps get great feedback on the forum. Most folks agree that their price/performance value is off the charts.
post #89 of 1292 Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Not in Edmonton, up in Peace River. But I've spent a few years with Emo gear. I've got an Emo LPA-1 amp, like it very much. Good solid amp. Pretty good company to deal with.
I was going to upgrade within Emo but their continuing grief with their pre's got me looking elsewhere. So I got an SC37. Just in terms of amp I don't think it's a big step up. It's a very different sound as you'd think, and with more spl.
I don't think you'd go wrong with an Emo amp. Really good value in horsepower. I'm lusting a bit after those mono-blocks for my 2ch.
post #90 of 1292 Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaudiocd View Post

Not in Edmonton, up in Peace River. But I've spent a few years with Emo gear. I've got an Emo LPA-1 amp, like it very much. Good solid amp. Pretty good company to deal with.
I was going to upgrade within Emo but their continuing grief with their pre's got me looking elsewhere. So I got an SC37. Just in terms of amp I don't think it's a big step up. It's a very different sound as you'd think, and with more spl.
I don't think you'd go wrong with an Emo amp. Really good value in horsepower. I'm lusting a bit after those mono-blocks for my 2ch.

Very nice piece of gear, SC-37. I am excited to think about getting an Emo AMP. I am comforted by how many folks out there enjoy their Emo AMP's, and the price is sooooo attractive. I would like more headroom, but my real draw is that I would no longer need to Bi-amp my front L,and R and could allow an AMP to do that and then get back my Rear surrounds...for now, I am willing to say good-bye to them (rear surrounds), as I love the extra power up front (and it is a short term move). I do enjoy a good 5 channel system, but 7 channels just feel right to me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page