2Likes

Old 06-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonw5 View Post

Okay, AltaHomeTheatre, you've brought me out of hiding.

My mission has been accomplished and I can now return the speakers. smile.gif
Quote:

I have investigated those Danleys for some time. They are from what I read stunning speakers IF set up properly. Congrats on the purchase and I will be lurking on your results. Back to my lair now.

Anyone who has even heard of Danley is a friend of mine. I was actually surprised (and pleased) when Quill recognized them immediately.

I did a little searching on your past threads and see that you have a Sony 95ES projector. Thats a wonderful projector, I know as I also own one. I also noticed that you have a AT screen. I also want to get an AT screen to hide those butt ugly Danleys (actually I think they are pretty but many would disagree). What are your thoughts on the screen you purchased? The one picture I saw it appeared you did not have your speakers behind the screen. A couple other questions about your setup if you dont mind. How far is the Sony from the screen? How far do you sit from the screen? Can you see any weave at that distance? If I do AT, I will be quite close - approx 9'. My newest problem is that the Danleys are so large, I may not be able to fit them behind the screen.

Maybe its time to come out of hibernation, join the club, and have a meet. We have done road trips before and I would love to see and hear your system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Great projector eh! I have close to 1500 hours on mine and it still pleases me to this day. Yes I have the Elunevision AT Reference 120" cinemascope screen. The projector is currently about 16.5 feet away from the screen. I sit pretty much underneath the projector. I plan on putting additional seating in front of my current seating and they will be about 12 feet away from the screen. I cannot see any screen artifacting nor the weave from those distances. That screen has been thru a couple of revisions and I got the first one with the 5" frame and mounting system. I had installed a 2nd revision screen for another person, but it was now 3" frame only with I think a more finicky mounting system. The screen itself was the same, and that is what counts in the end. I currently don't have the speakers mounted behind the AT screen however as I am planning a major room update once the fire dies down on my total 2 channel system update in another room. I also plan on updating my Yamaha RX-V Z11 receiver when funds permit in the theatre room.

As far as joining this club thread, Zuluwalker can I join?

This summer is quite busy for me so a possible GTG will have to wait till after August.

Regards,
Rod
zuluwalker likes this.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 467
CURRENT MEMBERSHIP

SeveredDime
calv1n
Glimmerman911
HDgaming42
dmcleod
AltaHomeTheatre
jakkb
zuluwalker
mbfleming
Scopeguy
BRAC
optoguy
Quill
Noxdowne
ody
moreilly
davey_fl
Dean Coop
turtletrax
Gritesh
superskid
markis
Jason Kelly
BGA
maestro20001
ScottyH
Ian82
cdika17
manalive
06S2k
Medi0gre
ndevries1
habbequidam
darklord700
MagicMan3
CrazyCanuck75
moonw5

*** If you would like your name added, or removed, please send me a PM and I will do so right away.***
Old 06-04-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:

Great projector eh! I have close to 1500 hours on mine and it still pleases me to this day. Yes I have the Elunevision AT Reference 120" cinemascope screen. The projector is currently about 16.5 feet away from the screen. I sit pretty much underneath the projector. I plan on putting additional seating in front of my current seating and they will be about 12 feet away from the screen. I cannot see any screen artifacting nor the weave from those distances. That screen has been thru a couple of revisions and I got the first one with the 5" frame and mounting system. I had installed a 2nd revision screen for another person, but it was now 3" frame only with I think a more finicky mounting system. The screen itself was the same, and that is what counts in the end. I currently don't have the speakers mounted behind the AT screen however as I am planning a major room update once the fire dies down on my total 2 channel system update in another room. I also plan on updating my Yamaha RX-V Z11 receiver when funds permit in the theatre room.

This summer is quite busy for me so a possible GTG will have to wait till after August.

Regards,
Rod

You're in!

smile.gif

Welcome aboard!!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

You're in!

smile.gif

Welcome aboard!!

Thanks!biggrin.gif
Old 06-04-2014, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:

Thanks!biggrin.gif

It's funny that after all these years I still get asked like it's a private club. Lol

I am just the schmuck who organizes it, but we are all equal and set our own rules if any at all. Have fun Moon, contribute when you like and lurk all you want...we have a majority membership who do wink.gif
Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Regards,
Rod

Rod, thanks for the update. I will read a little more about that screen. I am in no rush but would really like to try AT. I hope to see your setup sometime after August.

Your new first row will be similar to my first row (that is where I sit). Is 120" a good size from there?

I agree with you, that Sony projector is wonderful.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats on the new speakers! Looks great! Always wanted to hear the Danley's.

Darren A.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post

Rod, thanks for the update. I will read a little more about that screen. I am in no rush but would really like to try AT. I hope to see your setup sometime after August.

Your new first row will be similar to my first row (that is where I sit). Is 120" a good size from there?

I agree with you, that Sony projector is wonderful.

120" is quite decent. I do have room for a 130"-140" screen, but not sure if the lumen drop and size would benefit much as I am more a rear 2/3 watcher when going to the Cineplex(and front 1/3 when watching 3D movies at the Cineplex). The larger screen would be able to accommodate speaker placement behind the screen a bit better though! Food for thought on your speakers/setup.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by moonw5 

Okay, AltaHomeTheatre, you've brought me out of hiding.

My mission has been accomplished and I can now return the speakers.
Quote:Originally Posted by moonw5 

I did a little searching on your past threads and see that you have a Sony 95ES projector.
This is called stalking. You shouldn't admit this stuff. Seek help Alta.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just got another xbmc machine to add in the house. You should seriously buy one any and everyone

Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're correct!
Henry Ford
Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
this is called stalking. You shouldn't admit this stuff. Seek help alta.

lol
Old 06-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxdowne View Post
Just got another xbmc machine to add in the house. You should seriously buy one any and everyone
I have an XBMC box and like it but I ended up buying a ROKU and running a PLEX server for everyday use. My wife just couldn't handle XBMC, too complicated. We only use it when I'm home and running things.

Not that any of that matters, I was running fast and loose by not running some sort of back up and lost my entire collection a couple weekends ago. Opps.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:36 PM

My GF had a 2 weeks learning curve to understand it and after that it was smooth sailing when I was out of town.

I have everything in thumbnails and she just goes to town now lol

You can do an external hard drive and use the box for your media too if you so wish to

I couldn't give this box up if I tried haha

Jeff

Henry Ford
Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 PM

Some people are like to pose and look like they are busy!!

...but really they like to relax and take time out!

Just kidding Zuluwalker aka Aaron!!
Thanks for your help and Simon's, in setting up my 2 channel rig. I know this isn't theater, but what the heck...Ban me!

Last edited by moonw5; 06-20-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonw5 View Post
Some people are like to pose and look like they are busy!!

...but really they like to relax and take time out!

Just kidding Zuluwalker aka Aaron!!
Thanks for your help and Simon's, in setting up my 2 channel rig. I know this isn't theater, but what the heck...Ban me!

Moon you sure do have an awesome home! I just loved your property, and all your wife's hard work landscaping. Impressive.

Thanks for ordering pizza too!

As for the photos...guilty as charged.

Zulu
Old 06-24-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Okay,

My speakers are now ordered.

Waiting for the truck now.

moonw5 likes this.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 PM

What's with this Dolby Atmos? Do I need to get the saw out again and put some ceiling speakers ... and a new processor...sheesh.
Anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 AM

I remember prologic coming out and you could use your tv as a center channel so I think I'm old enough and experienced enough to chime in.

I wanted 7.1 so badly as well when it was new. Then 7.2 9.2 11.2.....I figured something out.

There is always going to be something better and more advanced and more expensive

BUT

A 5.1 with dynamic power levels and heart stopping subs properly tuned will still be better than most theater experiences and better than all but the .001% of the typical home theater.

So I'd pass on the hole saw

Henry Ford
Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think science has created a new material for light absorption that would be very useful in home theatres.

http://gizmodo.com/theres-a-new-mate...-it-1604573706

...if they could only figure out a way to clean it...

ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS! DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS. ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 PM

I've been thinking more and more about cord cutting, the $150.00+ cable bill is starting to get to me. If anyone has cut the cord can you PM me what you're using as an alternative and your average cost of doing so? I'm not sure if it's appropriate to discuss it openly on this forum.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 PM

That xbmc box I mentioned has every tv show posted to watch within hours of airing. Free is good. Commercial free is even better.
zuluwalker likes this.

Henry Ford
Old 07-18-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
That xbmc box I mentioned has every tv show posted to watch within hours of airing. Free is good. Commercial free is even better.

I love XBMC, all my TV's have a XBMC box attached to them. I cut the cord almost 18months ago thanks to Xbmc, sab, sickbeard and couchpotato
Old 07-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post
I love XBMC, all my TV's have a XBMC box attached to them. I cut the cord almost 18months ago thanks to Xbmc, sab, sickbeard and couchpotato
Quote:
PM'd
Old 07-18-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Devil's advocate:

If your good at something, why do it for free?

I love free stuff as much as the next guy. I hate commercials as much as anyone. I really dislike being forced to buy a package for channels.

BUT...why would TV shows continue to be made if they were not profitable? Could they even be made at all? Scripts, writers, lighting, special effects, stuntmen, cameras, post production and preproduction, sound and editing. None of the professionals in these fields would seem the type to volunteer themselves for humanity to enjoy a show or two.

Just wanted to ask. I do not have an answer. Opinions? Comments?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:19 PM

The dawn of steaming services such and Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime has rendered the standard cable TV model obsolete. When I mentioned cutting the cord it didn't necessarily mean to gain access to shows for free. When I can subscribe to Netflix for $8.00 per month it makes that 150.00+ per month that much harder to swallow. Netflix certainly isn't hurting with growth year after year. The immense success of several direct to streaming shows is further proof of that, series such as House of Card, Orange Is the New Black and several others depending on your tastes. The ability to watch what I want when I want has mass appeal.

Cutting the cord in Canada does have its challenges, a smaller Netflix library, no direct access to Hulu or Amazon Prime, which requires work arounds in some cases, but aren't free, a subscription is still required, but the costs are a lot lower. Using a subscription based service still maintains some of same cable TV model in where your subscription costs are used to cover licensing fees thus keeping the big production wheels turning. I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence and state that I've never downloaded content, but given the choice of downloading or accessing on demand streaming ( Netflix ) I'll watch it on Netflix for the convenience of it.

Last edited by SeveredDime; 07-18-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
XBMC gets my vote..

Works great.. I love it.. The Control 4 driver for it also works great so its a seamless integration.. wife has 0 issues using it.. Doesn't need much hardware by todays standards.. i3 should do just fine.. there is a guy in Calgary on ebay who sells used computer stuff.. picked up another i3 for i think 120 bucks or something.. can't beat the price or the program.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 PM

$250 built in Edmonton by John that posted here. All specs couple pages back.

I have two and I still go to movies that are fresh run. I still rent ppv. I still buy and rent blu rays.

I've paid $1800 a year for ten years and about $700 a year for the 15 years before that.

I'm just done with commercials and limited content due to cable companies in Canada not paying for shows I enjoy.

Henry Ford
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Is there interest in a Theatre Club Meet for demos of of different Streaming devices? Such as some of those discussed above?

AltaHomeTheatre and I have been tossing the idea back and forth for some time. It sounds more and more though as if each one of you already has something.

If there was enough interest we could also feature one of the local Streaming devices built by some of our members or local skilled talent.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
Is there interest in a Theatre Club Meet for demos of of different Streaming devices? Such as some of those discussed above?

AltaHomeTheatre and I have been tossing the idea back and forth for some time. It sounds more and more though as if each one of you already has something.

If there was enough interest we could also feature one of the local Streaming devices built by some of our members or local skilled talent.

I would be definitely interested in that!