San Jose , CA Bay Area Meet?? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #271 of 288 Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I was in San Jose this last weekend, and came across Century Stereo on the Sunday (they're closed Sundays ); are they having any more events, and are they worth attending? I couldn't see any obvious links on their web-site to upcoming stuff.

Also, do you San Jose residents ever hold any GTGs? It'd be great to attend if so, though it does depend on enough notice to bid for a trip there (and then being lucky enough to get said trip - SJC is one of our better destinations on the fleet)!

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 288 Old 11-08-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dreamer View Post
I was in San Jose this last weekend, and came across Century Stereo on the Sunday (they're closed Sundays ); are they having any more events, and are they worth attending? I couldn't see any obvious links on their web-site to upcoming stuff.

Also, do you San Jose residents ever hold any GTGs? It'd be great to attend if so, though it does depend on enough notice to bid for a trip there (and then being lucky enough to get said trip - SJC is one of our better destinations on the fleet)!

TIA
Closed on Sundays is a newer thing for them, they used to be 7 days a week. Bummer, as Sunday is one of the days I have available for this kind of thing!

They do have periodic events, you can sign up on their email list for this, and they DO NOT bombard you constantly with junk mail, only relevant info just a few times per year:

http://www.centurystereo.com/contact/join-mailing-list/

I've been to a few of their events, been fun!

I've not seen anything materialize of a serious GTG, though I'd be game for something.
UK Dreamer likes this.
post #273 of 288 Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM

Thanks, I've subscribed to the mailing list now.

It's a nice part of the world - I look forward to going back - Philly this weekend.

post #274 of 288 Old 11-09-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I've subscribed to the mailing list now.

It's a nice part of the world - I look forward to going back - Philly this weekend.
Are you with an airline, or....???
post #275 of 288 Old 11-10-2016, 01:32 AM

Yep. I'm with the UK's only major (being relatively junior I get to work most weekends ); we come into SJC daily now from LHR. As I say, SJC is one of our most popular destinations (for us) on the fleet, probably because it's very straightforward to get in to, with few, if any, delays, your TSA and immigration are actually friendly, and, last, but definitely not least, it's a beautiful part of the world! If I must be away from the family, I can have few complaints about being in San Jose.

Rented a car and visited Monterey, Carmel, and Pebble Beach last Saturday - stunning!
post #276 of 288 Old 11-10-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rented a car and visited Monterey, Carmel, and Pebble Beach last Saturday - stunning!
Yes, great places! If you get a chance, you should visit the Napa Valley too. Might be better in Spring though.
post #277 of 288 Old 11-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Yes, great places! If you get a chance, you should visit the Napa Valley too. Might be better in Spring though.
It's on the list!
Jonas2 likes this.
post #278 of 288 Old 12-19-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 578
WTB: Oppo BDP-103

Anyone in the Bay Area looking to sell their Oppo BDP-103? If so, please PM me. (Not ready to move to 4K yet).

Thanks

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #279 of 288 Old 12-19-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Anyone in the Bay Area looking to sell their Oppo BDP-103? If so, please PM me. (Not ready to move to 4K yet).
Be sure to check with Oppo directly - they may have a refurb unit available.
post #280 of 288 Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

Be sure to check with Oppo directly - they may have a refurb unit available.
I checked earlier today. Thanks

Last edited by kokishin; 12-19-2016 at 10:00 PM.
post #281 of 288 Old 04-29-2017, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody going??

http://centurystereo.com/lifetech2017/

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #282 of 288 Old 04-29-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Darn! Back here now, so have missed it by a week.

BTW! I could have sworn Century were in downtown San Jose, but think my memory is playing tricks on me. As I see they're next to REI at Westgate, and I did visit REI the last time I was here, so, yeh, maybe it's an age thing. A shame, as I was going to take the other two guys to show them what Atmos is all about - having bored them for 10 hours yesterday on the state of my build.
post #283 of 288 Old 04-29-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Darn! Back here now, so have missed it by a week.

BTW! I could have sworn Century were in downtown San Jose, but think my memory is playing tricks on me. As I see they're next to REI at Westgate, and I did visit REI the last time I was here, so, yeh, maybe it's an age thing. A shame, as I was going to take the other two guys to show them what Atmos is all about - having bored them for 10 hours yesterday on the state of my build.
Ah!!! Too bad! I'll report back here after the event.

Not sure where all Century has been, but it's been at the El Paseo de Saratoga shopping center for many years now, at least since they remodeled the center. Which was MUCH cooler back in the day, now it's just a typical, poorly designed shopping center.

They're doing what looks to be some light remodeling at the shop right now...

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #284 of 288 Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Ah!!! Too bad! I'll report back here after the event.

Not sure where all Century has been, but it's been at the El Paseo de Saratoga shopping center for many years now, at least since they remodeled the center. Which was MUCH cooler back in the day, now it's just a typical, poorly designed shopping center.

They're doing what looks to be some light remodeling at the shop right now...
It'd be nice to know what their events are like - I could even bid to be here over one of them, given enough notice.

Had hoped to get over to them today, but spent the morning at HD (again) buying more power tools and stuff (half the price of stuff in the UK - and a far greater selection)!

My 2nd UM18-22 was waiting for me at the hotel too!

Look forward to reading your report on the tech event.
post #285 of 288 Old 04-29-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It'd be nice to know what their events are like - I could even bid to be here over one of them, given enough notice.

Had hoped to get over to them today, but spent the morning at HD (again) buying more power tools and stuff (half the price of stuff in the UK - and a far greater selection)!

My 2nd UM18-22 was waiting for me at the hotel too!

Look forward to reading your report on the tech event.
Only problem with HD is half the time I can't find anybody that knows what they're talking about! Seems to be a trend with a lot of big box stores actually......why I'm so happy to have a mom & pop audio within a few miles of home.

Their events are usually pretty fun, I always enjoy them. Stay tuned for that report...!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #286 of 288 Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ILook forward to reading your report on the tech event.
Alright, a week late, but here it is...

So, it was pretty fun I thought! Decent turn out.

Focal was there demoing some new hardware (Naim) and some of their speakers including if I remember correctly, a Utopia? $35,000 - range. Not a fan of the appearance, but they sounded amazing and the two gents from Focal were very nice, seemed quite enthusiastic about their products and enjoyed talking about them.

Totem Acoustic was demoing as well, got to listen to the new Sky monitor and learned about some upcoming things from them. Always a pleasure to listen to the line up, always amazed at the sound stage even their small, unassuming speakers throw.

Sony was displaying their A1E OLED display along with a couple of new receivers and the 1000ES UHD Player, which I guess is not available yet? Yes, the A1E was nice, but it didn't blow my mind the way I had thought it might. Of course, demo material, such and such, probably not the best way to show a set like that one.

Enjoyed speaking with the McIntosh rep., mostly about the company's philosophy and a few of the employees that have been there for a LONG time, love stories like that! My only regret - I can't afford any of it.

Although I didn't go into the Golden Ear demo room, there was some massive movie action going on in there, just didn't have time to stop by! I was in one of the adjoining rooms, and there was definitely some serious sub-woofer action going on in there, maybe the GE Super Sub?

Spent a bit of time in the Anthem/Paradigm room, nothing new - they're still demoing the AVM60 like last year, but I did get a few tidbits out the rep. and a few minor tips on using the AVM60. Rep. is a pleasant guy! Unfortunately, no PERSONA speakers being demo'd. Century has decided against carrying them, but apparently there is a new high-end source coming to the Bay Area that will have them. The rep. wouldn't divulge, just said keep an eye on the Paradigm website for new authorized dealers....

Don't know if I ran into AVS'rs there, but did have a chance to talk shop with a few blokes that I recognized from last year. Always cool to hear about other systems in the area and what others are doing in their spaces.

Had some good show deals going on too, unfortunately nothing I was in the market for, but got a bonus for attending - next purchase, no sales tax, offer good until August! Nice little perk given how high sales tax is here in Silly-cone Valley. I would like to add two rear surrounds to complete my set up, but probably will not have saved enough by then to take advantage anyway. Oh well!

All in all, fun day!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #287 of 288 Old 05-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like a fun day out; I must try and get over there. I'm back at the end of June, so I'll pay a visit then.

Most of the gear you've mentioned would be out of my price range - I'm assuming they do some more 'consumer friendly' stuff like Denon and Marantz?

[OT]
I didn't think sales tax was too bad in the States, I know each State is different, but I don't think anywhere has a sale tax as high as ours, at 20%. Coupled with an effective income tax of 62%, and you can see why a lot of my colleagues live over in the States, or Canada, or pretty much anywhere but the UK - we even have guys that commute from New Zealand!
[\OT]
post #288 of 288 Old 05-14-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like a fun day out; I must try and get over there. I'm back at the end of June, so I'll pay a visit then.

Most of the gear you've mentioned would be out of my price range - I'm assuming they do some more 'consumer friendly' stuff like Denon and Marantz?

[OT]
I didn't think sales tax was too bad in the States, I know each State is different, but I don't think anywhere has a sale tax as high as ours, at 20%. Coupled with an effective income tax of 62%, and you can see why a lot of my colleagues live over in the States, or Canada, or pretty much anywhere but the UK - we even have guys that commute from New Zealand!
[\OT]
Well, they do sell a lot more than they have displayed of course. For example, they don't actively push Sony receivers or gear, aside from a few of the TVs, but they can get it - as one example of more consumer friendly. Definitely not BestBuy though!

Sales tax for the U.S. is pretty high in this area, higher than a lot of places, but I guess we've got a long way to go if we're going to catch up with Europe! (And believe me, if Sacramento thought it could, it would try.....)

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page