Hey everyone, hope all made it through the storms OK yesterday.
I have been absent from the forums for the past 6mo or so but am in the need of some advise. I am seriously considering cutting my cable and installing an attic mounted HD Antenna and using either Apple TV or Roku type devices throughout the house. However for my setup down stairs I am looking into perhaps building an HTPC and using Jriver or something similar to run everything. I am looking for advise on the subject and have never built a computer before and am somewhat ignorant on the subject. I am a pretty savy DIYer so the assembly wont be problamatic, but my lack of knowlege of components and general computer knowlege will be my limiting factor.
By goals are pretty straight forward.
1) I want to stop shelling out money to the "Man" and cut the cable
2) Lossless audio is important to me and I'm sure others with expensive setups such as ours. So streaming is not going to be a major priority on this particular setup. Ideas to solve this are welcome
3) I want to either have internal or external storage to "backup" blu rays and DVDs.
4) Ripping capibility for "backing up" movies and music
5) 1080p is also important down here. I have a nice TV and want to get the most out of it
6) Ease of use. I'm very interested in Jriver but also open to suggestions
7) Silence is not a must but a priority
8) Longevity. I dont want to get something and have to upgrade it to soon
9) DVR capibility. I would ideally like to use a coaxil connection from my antenna to allow me to record shows that are available over the air
Any input that any of you may have to offer on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Also, bare with me, I am far from a computer geek but am tech savvy.