Omaha Area GTG's - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #421 of 482 Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I echo what Scott says. I priced out my shop when I had it foamed just for comparison sake. I figured doing it myself would save tons. Not even close. The pros buy it in 55 gallon drums. Granted I paid for an entire building and not a single wall but I was under $2/sq ft installed for 2" of closed cell. He preheats it to 140 degrees for better adhesion which is something I can't do with a DIY kit. Plus they clean it all up! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 482 Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
For a big job it is definitely not cheaper to DIY. Actually not really cheaper in any case to DIY but my garage portion is such a small job I don't know how interested any contractor would be in doing it. Kind of similar to the foam I used on my rim joists, it was such a small job, but it was kind of fun to do it myself. The stuff is not hard to use but you don't want to breath it in and you don't want to spill any.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #423 of 482 Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I ran into Desertdome at lunch today and invited him over Sunday night for a showing of "Sorcerer", not sure if he can make it or not but if anybody else is interested, we'll be watching it around 8:15 or 8:30 start time. This movie has nothing to do with sorcery, it is a thriller from the director of The French Connection and is starring Roy Scheider from Jaws. Awesome little movie from 1977 that bombed because it came out the same week as Star Wars.

post #424 of 482 Old 04-26-2014, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I'm thinking about renewing the summer movie series in my col-de-sak. Last year, we used a garage door with a soundbar for projection. I had used an old optoma, but the bulb is doneskies, and I think it's a better value to go with a new one. Sub $500, preferring 720 for the aspect ratio (16:9 v 4:3). It'll be for outdoor use 90% of the time, and surrounded by kids, booze, smores, and a firepit.

I'm close to a Viewsonic PJD5134. Thoughts or recommendations?
post #425 of 482 Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have no idea how the Viewsonic would compare to an Epson but thought I'd share an email offer I received today on a "Save Up to 60% in the Clearance Center". I didn't see a projector that was 60% off but they have some 720p projectors listed there starting at $499 (regular $799). They are manufacturer refurbished but are being sold direct from Epson. Here is the link if you're interested. Happy shopping!

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/BuyEpson/ccProductCategory.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-13264
post #426 of 482 Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 296
There will be a grand opening of The Savoy home theater in Altoona, IA on June 28. I'm going there this weekend to help get all the sound setup. Let dlbeck know if you plan to attend.

Front of theater with the surrounds (6 JTR Single 8-LP speakers) stacked on the stage:

Completed theater:

Danley Sounds Labs provided the speakers for Lambeau Field (Packers), Bryant-Denny Stadium (Alabama), and lots of others. I asked Ivan Beaver of Danley in the DIY Speakers and Subs forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Any chance Danley is upgrading the sound system at the Husker's Memorial Stadium?

He replied:
Quote:
There are several more stadiums that are "in the works" now. We don't like to discuss them until the job is landed and installed. Sorry
That would be cool if Memorial Stadium had Danley speakers. Nebrunner could go to a game and say, "I've got a Danley sub in my home theater!" cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrunner View Post

I ran into Desertdome at lunch today and invited him over Sunday night for a showing of "Sorcerer", not sure if he can make it or not but if anybody else is interested, we'll be watching it around 8:15 or 8:30 start time. This movie has nothing to do with sorcery, it is a thriller from the director of The French Connection and is starring Roy Scheider from Jaws. Awesome little movie from 1977 that bombed because it came out the same week as Star Wars.
I wish I could have made it. I looked up the movie and now I want to see it.
post #427 of 482 Old 04-29-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have room for me on the 28th, I'll join in for that.

Anders made it over, the movie is rock solid, tense, good production values and a very nice transfer. The sound is dated but it is a 35 year old movie.

post #428 of 482 Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 AM

Liked: 12
Hope everyone made it through the storms alright in Omaha.
post #429 of 482 Old 06-04-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey everyone, hope all made it through the storms OK yesterday.

I have been absent from the forums for the past 6mo or so but am in the need of some advise. I am seriously considering cutting my cable and installing an attic mounted HD Antenna and using either Apple TV or Roku type devices throughout the house. However for my setup down stairs I am looking into perhaps building an HTPC and using Jriver or something similar to run everything. I am looking for advise on the subject and have never built a computer before and am somewhat ignorant on the subject. I am a pretty savy DIYer so the assembly wont be problamatic, but my lack of knowlege of components and general computer knowlege will be my limiting factor.

By goals are pretty straight forward.

1) I want to stop shelling out money to the "Man" and cut the cable
2) Lossless audio is important to me and I'm sure others with expensive setups such as ours. So streaming is not going to be a major priority on this particular setup. Ideas to solve this are welcome smile.gif
3) I want to either have internal or external storage to "backup" blu rays and DVDs.
4) Ripping capibility for "backing up" movies and music
5) 1080p is also important down here. I have a nice TV and want to get the most out of it
6) Ease of use. I'm very interested in Jriver but also open to suggestions
7) Silence is not a must but a priority
8) Longevity. I dont want to get something and have to upgrade it to soon
9) DVR capibility. I would ideally like to use a coaxil connection from my antenna to allow me to record shows that are available over the air

Any input that any of you may have to offer on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Also, bare with me, I am far from a computer geek but am tech savvy.

Thank you,

Bill

German Cars, German Beer, German Guns.......Italian Motorcycles.

Pre/Pro: Emotiva UMC-200
Power: Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
LCR: DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4T SE & 4CC
Surrounds: Mirage OMD-5
Sub: DIY Dayton Audio
PS3
DTV
post #430 of 482 Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Finally something that falls into my experience! I have a whole home streaming setup with the antenna and it's great! For your needs, an HTPC will do the trick. You're looking at about $500 or so for the setup downstairs. Maybe a few hundred more depending on how many movies and music you would like to store on it. You'll likely want an array of raspberry pi's for the rest of your house. As far as the antenna is concerned, don't go crazy with an expensive "HD" antenna. I use one I got from monoprice for $20 and it's awesome. It's 1080 5.1 by default, depending on the broadcast signal. Also, with zero compression it is better quality than satellite or cox. The key there is to try and get a direct line from outside to your modem to free up the rest of your coax lines in the house for the antenna. I have my antenna feeding the main coax that splits to the rest of the house with a dedicated line straight to the modem. That way, every coax outlet is antenna ready.

Raspberry Pi offers an excellent bang for the buck when coupled with XBMC. If you can, try and hardwire them to a switch on your network. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of your WiFi.

XBMC is very easy to use. It can be a little intimidating at first, but once you set it up, it'll work like a charm. DVR is easy with XBMC too. You can pause in one room and start watching again in another. It supports many lossless formats, so you are fine there.

As far as longevity, once you get a system you are happy with, there isn't really a need to upgrade.

Cutting the cord isn't as easy as 1-2-3, but it's worth it in the long run. I pay for internet and Netflix only. It's quite satisfying. I would go into more detail, but I gotta get to bed soon. Let me know of you have any questions at all or want some hardware recommendations.

Cheers!
Eric
post #431 of 482 Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 AM

Thanks Eric!

I would like to hear your advice on hardware, this is here my knowledge base is lacking. Also, I did some searching around and from what I found it seemed that users preferred Jriver over XBMC. Do you have experience with both?

PS3
DTV
post #432 of 482 Old 06-05-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I too am interested in building a HTPC and know that quite a few of the Omaha guys are using them. For everyone that has built one maybe put the specs and components you used.

Maybe I could host a GTG for us HTPC newbies at my place where we could put one or more together drink a beer and maybe even watch a movie.

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #433 of 482 Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

We canceled our cable a few years ago and have been fine without it. We watch network shows via HD rabbit ears antenna. I have a HTPC downstairs that I can rip my blurays to, and it can stream wirelessly to our upstairs tv using the PS3. My wife also watches netflix streaming off the PS3.

The one place you lose out here is sports. If you are a sports fan at all, the cable companies have you as you are forced to have ESPN, Fox Sports 1, etc.

My wife is not able to work the HTPC so we bought an HD DVR that she can use to record any network hd shows and watch them upstairs. There are a few different makes and models of these available. I'm dead set against any revolving charges so if you are like me you want to avoid the TIVO type ones that charge you a monthly fee.

Building the HTPC is pretty easy but storage can get expensive. All it takes is one hard drive loss and losing a hundred movies and you will realize you want a RAID setup. I have one now but the RAID bay and drives alone cost over $500.

There is a decent free HTPC setup guide available at http://assassinhtpcblog.com/

CEDIA is coming up in September in Denver. Signups started for this yesterday, public attendee registration costs $45. I signed up and am going to either drive or fly out there.

post #434 of 482 Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

David Beck (dlbeck) attend the last Home Theater Tour in Omaha. As I mentioned a few posts up, he is having an open house for his The Savoy theater on June 28 in Altoona, IA. His theater only uses an HTPC and features 15 channels of output all controlled by JRiver. If anyone want to ride with me, nebrunner, and a friend from work, let me know. Also let dlbeck know in his thread that you want to attend. David loves sports and uses a DirecTV STB going into a Hauppauge Colossus card in the HTPC. JRiver handles all the recording and playback.

There will be two additional zones in the house run off the HTPC for the Open House. These can be controlled with the Gizmo app on Android or the JRemote app on iOS.

Salk Stereo Zone:
  • Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC
  • Wyred 4 Sound WS1000 monoblock amps
  • Salk Veracity HT2-TL speakers

JTR Stereo Zone:
  • Lynx Studio Aurora 16 DAC
  • Digital Amp Company Cherry Plus monoblock amps
  • JTR Speakers 215RT speakers

I use an HTPC with JRiver for all my media. My wife and kids use it all the time during the day. I also have OTA TV using an HDHomerun tuner. Posting the specs isn't that helpful since there is so much turnover in the PC industry. One new thing I've done is buy a colorimeter and create a 3DLUT video calibration file. This file is loaded into JRiver and does an almost perfect video calibration dependent on the accuracy of my colorimeter. The Lumigen Radiance video processor supports 3DLUT files, but is limited to 17x17x17 or 4,913 points of correction. With the HTPC you can do 256x256x256 or 16.9 million points of correction.
post #435 of 482 Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 PM

Jriver is very capable of producing quality, but it did not work in my current setup. I use a NAS drive with 6TB of RAID storage. From there, everything feeds to Apple TV and Raspberry Pi. I also manage all the media from any of the Macs in the house. I gave up on Windows after Vista came out and haven't looked back. Sports is manageable, as I gave my brother $50 for his xfinity and mlb.tv password.
post #436 of 482 Old 06-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would love to check out the Savoy theater with you guys, but I can't make a firm commitment yet. Is it possible to tentatively pencil me in? I attended the original Omaha get together but have been busy with school since then (and now live in Lincoln).
post #437 of 482 Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've been using a HTPC in my living room for about 5.5 years - same one that whole time as I've found no need to upgrade. All the media is stored on my main office rig, and that has been upgraded from time to time. Keeping the HTPC quiet is no problem at all when you don't need to keep a bunch of hard drives in it.

As for software, I run everything through Windows Media Center on Win7 with the MediaBrowser plugin. It's very simple and free. I take that back... it wasn't all free. I use TotalMedia Theater through WMC to play Blu-Rays. I didn't have to mess with learning Linux, and my wife is comfortable with using it. WMC also does a great job as a DVR when hooked up to my HDHomerun tuner. When I build the next HTPC that will go in the basement theater I may look into newer software solutions, but this has worked great.

There are a lot of solutions out there for backing up your media, and many of them have their quirks. I think it just comes down to what you get comfortable with and what you want it to do for you.
post #438 of 482 Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Savoy is the June HT of the Month at AVS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdburton07 View Post

I would love to check out the Savoy theater with you guys, but I can't make a firm commitment yet. Is it possible to tentatively pencil me in? I attended the original Omaha get together but have been busy with school since then (and now live in Lincoln).
Pencil you in for a ride or for attending? For attending, post in dlbeck's thread or PM him.
post #439 of 482 Old 06-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

I too am interested in building a HTPC and know that quite a few of the Omaha guys are using them. For everyone that has built one maybe put the specs and components you used.

Maybe I could host a GTG for us HTPC newbies at my place where we could put one or more together drink a beer and maybe even watch a movie.

Great idea W00lly! I'd love to come catch another movie at your place.

PS3
DTV
post #440 of 482 Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:

The Savoy is the June HT of the Month at AVS!
Pencil you in for a ride or for attending? For attending, post in dlbeck's thread or PM him.

Sorry, I meant for a ride. I PM'd dlbeck and am now on the list to attend.
post #441 of 482 Old 06-10-2014, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm taking my Suburban which seats 5 fairly comfortably. There is a 3rd seat in the back, but the legroom is less. The Open House is starting at noon, but I'm bringing some of the gear and need to do some setup and go over last minute stuff with dlbeck. It takes about 2 1/2 hrs from my house to dlbeck's. I'd like to leave at 8 am and arrive by 10:30. The Open House official stuff will be done by around 5-6 pm, but David said he might show a movie to anyone that wants to stay. It is a lot of fun to hang out there and there will be food, drinks, and other activities during the day. Right now I plan to leave at 8 pm (at the latest) to head home, but could accommodate an earlier departure if necessary.

Here is who is riding right now:
Treebanger - coworker, he'll drive to my house.
nebrunner - I can pick up on the way
134LRS - tentative, I could pick up on the way
jdburton07 - meet at my house in Elkhorn?
post #442 of 482 Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Here is who is riding right now:
Treebanger - coworker, he'll drive to my house.
nebrunner - I can pick up on the way
134LRS - tentative, I could pick up on the way
jdburton07 - meet at my house in Elkhorn?

I live in Lincoln now so I'll meet you at your house.
post #443 of 482 Old 06-21-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Details have been sent to all the Savoy Grand Opening attendees via PM. If you did not receive the PM, please let me know. Thanks.

David
post #444 of 482 Old 06-26-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sent a PM to the guys going to the Savoy Open House on Saturday.
post #445 of 482 Old 06-28-2014, 11:14 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I sent a PM to the guys going to the Savoy Open House on Saturday.
Hi Michael,
Is there a dedicated thread for the Savoy Open House?

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #446 of 482 Old 06-28-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Hi Michael,
Is there a dedicated thread for the Savoy Open House?
I don't think so. Just keep an eye on the Savoy build thread.
post #447 of 482 Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I don't think so. Just keep an eye on the Savoy build thread.
That's too bad. David seems little reluctant to start new threads about his HT. He shouldn't be as the interest level is high.

BTW, did you order a PONO?

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!

Last edited by RMK!; 06-29-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: wording
post #448 of 482 Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

The new POTA movie comes out July 11th and is getting excellent reviews. It has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack and Village Point theater now has two Atmos equipped auditoriums. I hope they pick this movie up and show it in one of those rooms as I have not yet had the opportunity to listen to Atmos.

This Sunday night we'll be watching the previous POTA movie to prep for the new one; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1318514/

Movie showing at 8:30, if anybody is interested in attending let me know.

post #449 of 482 Old 07-02-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My wife really enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes. We actually just watched it not too long ago, but I'll see if she'd be interested. Thanks for the invite.
post #450 of 482 Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm camping this weekend but may be back in time. I'll consider it if you have an antique candy dispenser.
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Tags
Yorkville , Danley Sound Labs , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10