AVS Forum banner
28K views 562 replies 51 participants last post by  sassuki 
#1 ·
Omaha Home Theater Tour - October 27, 2012

Demo of JTR Noesis 212HT speakers - November 3, 2012

Central Iowa Spring Audio GTG - April 27, 2013

The Omaha Home Theater Tour has been set for October 27, 2012. It will consist of tours of the following:

nebrunner's dedicated theater - 7.1 system
HuskerOmaha's multi-purpose basement theater - 5.1 system with front height speakers

desertdome's living room theater - 7.1 system
W00lly's dedicated theater - 7.1 system

We will probably start around 11 am and finish by 5pm.

Bonus Theater! - We are pleased to announce that we are adding andersa's theater as a bonus theater after 5 pm. It is located about 5 minutes away from the last stop and it will allow the fun to continue for those not needing to head back home. (Edit on 9/17/12)

Each theater will have a demo of movies/music, build info, equipment info, tip jar (j/k), food, and drinks. There may be some blind tests and we might even have door prizes.

The Nebraska - Michigan game starts at 7 pm and you can stay and watch the game. I'm sure one or more of us will host it.

Systems:

W00lly
  • Front speakers: PSB Image 6T
  • Center speaker: PSB Image 9C
  • Surround speakers: Jamo SU613K4 Inwall Dipole-Bipole
  • Subs: Four DIY Dual Opposed with MFW-15 drivers
  • Subwoofer Amp: Face Audio F1200TS
  • Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR609 - 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
  • Screen: SMX 144" wide 2.35
  • Projector: Panasonic AE4000U
  • Anamorphic lens: Isco II
  • Bluray player: Samsung BD6500 3D

desertdome
  • Front Speakers: GR-Research LS-6
  • Surround Speakers: Bill Fitzmaurice Wedgehorn 6
  • Subwoofers: The Badwater Bass'n - 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers in two infinite baffle manifolds
  • Source: HTPC with JRiver Media Center
  • Audio Device: Steinberg UR824 8 channel asynchronous USB DAC with balanced outputs
  • Amps: 3 Digital Amplifier Company Cherry Monos, 1 Cherry Stereo, 2 Face Audio F1200TS, 1 QSC RMX 1450
  • Screen: 110" wide 16:9 Seymour AV retractable with Center Stage XD screen material
  • Projector: Mitsubishi HC4000
  • Dog: Black Mouth Cur named Apache

HuskerOmaha
  • Front Speakers: Chase Home Theater SHO-10
  • Surround Speakers: Axiom Audio QS8
  • Height Speakers: Chase Home Theater SHO-6 prototypes
  • Subwoofers: The Defibrillators - Four Mach 5 Audio UXL-18 drivers in Elemental Designs cabinets
  • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR1007
  • Amp: Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone
  • HTPC with JRiver Media Center
  • Screen: 103" wide 16:9 Carada Criterion (118" diagonal so that it sounds bigger - edit per HuskerOmaha)
  • Projector: BenQ W6000
  • Dog: German Shepherd named Kaiser

nebrunner
  • Front Speakers: Chase Home Theater SHO-10
  • Surround Speakers: Chase Home Theater SHO-10
  • Subwoofers: Danley DTS-10 and JTR Speakers Growler, tranducers in front row of seating
  • Receiver: Onkyo 876
  • Amps: 2x Behringer EP4000
  • Bass Management: Behringer DCX2496
  • HTPC running Mediabrowser front end using MPC-HC with Madvr. Bitstreaming HD audio.
  • Screen: 120" wide 2.4:1 Seymour AV Center Stage XD screen material on Jamestown screen frame
  • Projector: JVC RS-1 projector

andersa
  • Front Speakers: JMLab (Focal) Electra 920
  • Center Speaker: JMLab (Focal) Electra CC30
  • Surround Speakers: JMLab (Focal) SR900
  • Subwoofer: Hsu VTF3-HO
  • Preamp/Processor: Integra 9.8
  • Amp: Outlaw Audio 750
  • BD Player: Oppo 83
  • HTPC Mediabrowser/TMT5 for Video, JRiver Media Center for Audio
  • Screen: 92" wide 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130
  • Projector: JVC RS-1
  • Remote: URC 980MX and MSC400 remote control system
  • Cat: Persian named Juni

Attendees:

nebrunner - Omaha

HuskerOmaha - Omaha

desertdome - Omaha

W00lly - Omaha

andersa - Omaha

DualEdge & Friend - Omaha

jdburton07 & Friend - Omaha

angryht - Omaha

sassuki - Omaha

hellerbrewing - Omaha

Dr. Spankenstein - Omaha

trancemitre - Omaha (Bellevue)

drew1910 & wife - Iowa

rkinmoval - Missouri Valley, IA

nathanb - Missouri Valley, IA

dlbeck & friend - Des Moines, IA

chriscmore (Seymour AV) & Friend - Ames, IA

MrSmithers - Kansas City, MO

Archaea - Kansas City, MO

jedimastergrant - Olathe, KS

nikerret - Emporia, KS

kwarny - Lincoln, NE

tesseract67 - Lincoln, NE

kaotikr1 & Adaboy - Scottsbluff (for you out of state folks, Scottsbluff is 450 miles west of Omaha but still in Nebraska
)

Total attendees = 30

Special thanks to the following sponsors:

JRiver Media Center
The Home Theater Book
Seymour AV

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like fun, wish I could be there, but will only be in spirit.

#6 ·
I see nebrunner is missing the required dog with an intimidating name. No HT is complete without one...

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012/0_100#post_22371290

Nice picture Chris.

I'm all about this tour, but I don't get why Desertdome thinks we have to tip people.
I fixed it.

(changed "tips" to "tip jar")

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012/0_100#post_22370495

i'm very interested and will plan to come!
Try to get Carp and jedimastergrant to come with you. I'll play Kid Cudi's Day and Night (The Widdlers Dubstep Remix) for you. I wonder where I can find the original lossless version if there is one?

#12 ·
I suppose I should go since I owe desertdome root beer and jonnyozero3 cider.

It will be fun to see what the owners do for tips.

#15 ·
Certainly going to check my schedule for this. Nice to see some serious HT enthusiasts in Omaha after all!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012/0_100#post_22371729

HuskerOmaha owes me a steak dinner. I aim to collect.

The Pink Poodle still around?
It is still around . My brother used to live about a mile away and ate there several times. I've never been there, but it still on my list of places to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa 

sounds like fun - I'll be there!
I've added you to the list.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012#post_22371631

I suppose I should go since I owe desertdome root beer and jonnyozero3 cider.

It will be fun to see what the owners do for tips.

I already wrote down how to get more infrasonics from good fan placement behind the center channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012#post_22371729

HuskerOmaha owes me a steak dinner. I aim to collect.

The Pink Poodle still around?

What? I don't recall

#21 ·
I should be good to go for this. Also, I'd like to bring a friend who is also into HT, if that's okay.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualEdge  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012/0_100#post_22374118

I should be good to go for this. Also, I'd like to bring a friend who is also into HT, if that's okay.
Sure, friends are welcome. I've added both of you to the list.

#23 ·
I might try to make it. Just moved from Chicago to Colorado Springs. Yeah, it would be a long drive, but I miss hanging out with fellow home theater freaks, er um, enthusiasts. ;-) Anyplace I could possibly crash that night? Thanks!

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012#post_22372516

I already wrote down how to get more infrasonics from good fan placement behind the center channel.

That is a good tip. I see this go wrong so many times on the forum so hopefully it will clear some of the common issues that occur. Hopefully this will be one of the blind tests. It will definitely be more entertaining than desertdome's tips on SubDubes.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012#post_22375305

That is a good tip. I see this go wrong so many times on the forum so hopefully it will clear some of the common issues that occur. Hopefully this will be one of the blind tests. It will definitely be more entertaining than desertdome's tips on SubDubes.

Yeah. He even used the subdudes on his IB. I CAN'T WAIT until you guys all see this s@#$show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012#post_22375019

I might try to make it. Just moved from Chicago to Colorado Springs. Yeah, it would be a long drive, but I miss hanging out with fellow home theater freaks, er um, enthusiasts. ;-) Anyplace I could possibly crash that night? Thanks!

I may be having a couple staying the night after the fball game-so not sure if I can guarantee a spot yet. I'm sure someone has a spare bedroom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012#post_22372552

Something about you saying you'd buy me a steak dinner if you liked a ported sub the best in blind testing --- this after rambling on, and on, and on about how sealed subs were superior to ported subs.

Is it coming back to you?

If not I can dig up a few direct quotes...

Well they are superior in every aspect for....movies.
I'll grill you a $2 slice of round and call it even.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012/0_100#post_22375019

I think we can find you a place to stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha  /t/1427697/omaha-home-theater-tour-october-27-2012/0_100#post_22375531

Well they are superior in every aspect for....movies.
I'll grill you a $2 slice of round and call it even.
Actually, you talked about how great subwoofer B (Cap Pro) was for movies on the way home, but you wanted to hedge your guesses so you wouldn't be caught completely loving it.

Reactions: Archaea
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.