Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1477Likes

post #4141 of 6122 Old 07-16-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Ghostbusters?
You've seen it too!?!?!

I know it's twilight girl. Check out "equals"
I warn you it's a slow movie with mediocre acting. But it's an amazing story with some wonderful cinematography. Very ethereal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 6122 Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 482 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3082 Post(s)
Liked: 2702
Grant,
I should be able to do the 23rd at your house.
I cannot do the 30th. But don't decide on my account alone. Just another data point.

----------------

I will be holding next months g2g at my place on the 19th of August, at 7PM.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
post #4143 of 6122 Old 07-16-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It pains me to ask for advice on this topic. But I trust many of u.

As opposed to a tv in the bedroom as we are, I'm going to mount floating cabinets with a wall mount Sammie 42". Nothing special from a video perspective. Her idea. I convinced her that tv speakers r not acceptable.

I told the wife that If I'm cutting drywall, hiding power cords and HDMI, then I'm at the very least running 3.1 cable. IMO 2.0 or 2.1 is the minimal requirement. We will likely play music in there frequently. But 90% of use will be **** tv.

I want fidelity. Not bass centric music. I'm really leaning towards ml efx. Aesthetics are king. I can't see purpose of center channel in 3.0? I can't see reason for sub and if so will need to be in wall. I'd like to run 3.1...... Everything has to be flat against wall or floating invisible in my custom built cabinetry. . Ftr I already have in ceilings in the room but they are a few feet in front of pillows. We won't be looking to watch movies in there (uhhhhh...I already have a theater for that!?!) Nearly impossible to repurpose the ICs as surrounds with tons of dry wall rework. So I stick with a 2.0,2.1,3.0,3.1 solution.

Ideas?
Recommendations?

Edit: additionally I need avr slim line recommendations.....marantz nr series??

Last edited by Stoked21; 07-16-2016 at 03:23 PM.

post #4144 of 6122 Old 07-16-2016, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
It pains me to ask for advice on this topic. But I trust many of u.

As opposed to a tv in the bedroom as we are, I'm going to mount floating cabinets with a wall mount Sammie 42". Nothing special from a video perspective. Her idea. I convinced her that tv speakers r not acceptable.

I told the wife that If I'm cutting drywall, hiding power cords and HDMI, then I'm at the very least running 3.1 cable. IMO 2.0 or 2.1 is the minimal requirement. We will likely play music in there frequently. But 90% of use will be **** tv.

I want fidelity. Not bass centric music. I'm really leaning towards ml efx. Aesthetics are king. I can't see purpose of center channel in 3.0? I can't see reason for sub and if so will need to be in wall. I'd like to run 3.1...... Everything has to be flat against wall or floating invisible in my custom built cabinetry. . Ftr I already have in ceilings in the room but they are a few feet in front of pillows. We won't be looking to watch movies in there (uhhhhh...I already have a theater for that!?!) Nearly impossible to repurpose the ICs as surrounds with tons of dry wall rework. So I stick with a 2.0,2.1,3.0,3.1 solution.

Ideas?
Recommendations?

Edit: additionally I need avr slim line recommendations.....marantz nr series??

If it were me, I'd go 4.0 - basically 2.0 but go ahead and connect the two ICs as surround speakers and use them for multi-channel stereo when playing music. When watching TV I'd just stick to stereo.

I don't have any experience with the NR line, but I'm a Marantz fan and I doubt you'll do better in that form factor.
post #4145 of 6122 Old 07-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 245
You probably have all heard, but that new show on netflix "Stranger Things" is quite good. Came out yesterday, and we are planning on finishing tonight :O

Edit: Just finished, Ffffffuuuu, watch it.

Last edited by sigma722; 07-16-2016 at 09:35 PM.
post #4146 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
You probably have all heard, but that new show on netflix "Stranger Things" is quite good. Came out yesterday, and we are planning on finishing tonight :O

Edit: Just finished, Ffffffuuuu, watch it.
Yes, I have read some reviews. I was interested from the first trailer I watched. I am trying to get my wife to make it our next show.

Currently enjoying Jessica Jones. It is available to stream in 4K and it looks good to me.
post #4147 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Jessica Jones was good and so was Sense8 if you have not watched it yet. Season 2 of Sense8 is coming soon

Scott

The CopperFields Cinema

Current Photo's

post #4148 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post
Jessica Jones was good and so was Sense8 if you have not watched it yet. Season 2 of Sense8 is coming soon
Yeah, I caught my wife watching that without me and told her to wait.
post #4149 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So last night I had a few friends over and we let our kids play before checking out the theater. I was trying to get everything hooked up and just functional because I was (and I am still) having issues. I grabbed the Star Trek 2009 and popped it in. Right off the bat the colors were just way off so instead of trouble shooting (we did not have much time) I just turned my PJ UHD calibration off and went with it. I noticed the audio was pretty good with effects overhead but it was not mind blowing.

So today I'm putting the disc away and sure enough I grabbed the regular old blu ray. We were watching HD and the dolby upmixer. I put the correct disc in and the first thing that stuck out at me was the colors were much punchier. More detail too. Then the audio started and it was amazing. I was grinning from ear to ear.

I did discover though that I don't like what XT32 is doing. It takes some of the dynamics and punch away from the presentation.

Looking forward to getting the necessary cables tomorrow so I can use the DBX unit again and try out all the subs together.
Stoked21 likes this.
post #4150 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't have everything sorted yet but lets do the 23rd anyway since more people can come. We can slum it with HD if we are forced to.

So it's gonna be 8:00. Let's do something 4K and Atmos/DTSX. Any suggestions?

Please chime in if I forgot you but from what I remember.

@Archaea
@JDontee
@sigma722
@Stoked21
@carp
@ChldsPlay
post #4151 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 162
How about 13 hours? Not sure if it's a good movie, but it could have good audio.
post #4152 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 482 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3082 Post(s)
Liked: 2702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
So last night I had a few friends over and we let our kids play before checking out the theater. I was trying to get everything hooked up and just functional because I was (and I am still) having issues. I grabbed the Star Trek 2009 and popped it in. Right off the bat the colors were just way off so instead of trouble shooting (we did not have much time) I just turned my PJ UHD calibration off and went with it. I noticed the audio was pretty good with effects overhead but it was not mind blowing.

So today I'm putting the disc away and sure enough I grabbed the regular old blu ray. We were watching HD and the dolby upmixer. I put the correct disc in and the first thing that stuck out at me was the colors were much punchier. More detail too. Then the audio started and it was amazing. I was grinning from ear to ear.

I did discover though that I don't like what XT32 is doing. It takes some of the dynamics and punch away from the presentation.

Looking forward to getting the necessary cables tomorrow so I can use the DBX unit again and try out all the subs together.
XT32 shouldn't be taking dynamics away. Audyssey Dynamic Volume may be. Make sure that's not on.
Stoked21 likes this.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
post #4153 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
How about 13 hours? Not sure if it's a good movie, but it could have good audio.
I have not seen that one. The audio is supposed to be good. Apparently makes you a bit upset too!!! I don't think that one is in 4k/immersive but we could still do it.

Here is what I have in UHD.

Ghostbusters 1 and 2 (Atmos)
Star Trek 2009 (Atmos)
Star Trek Into Darkness (Atmos)
Independence Day (DTSX)
Mad Max Fury Road (Atmos)
Enders Game (Atmos)
Deadpool (Atmos)
The Martian Extended Edition (Atmos)
The Revenenant
The Maze Runner
Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition

From Derek:
Fantastic 4
The Hitman
The Kingsmen
Exodus
Men Days of Future Past

So we don't HAVE to watch a 4K with UHD and immersive audio but if there is a winner among these it might be fun.

I also have on regular old BD but in Atmos:
The Fifth Element
Gravity

Last edited by jedimastergrant; 07-18-2016 at 04:49 AM.
post #4154 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
XT32 shouldn't be taking dynamics away. Audyssey Dynamic Volume may be. Make sure that's not on.
It was on. I'll try it again later.

What is the consensus on how much you increase the subwoofer volume after Audyssey neuters it for you? I did 3 db and it sounded pretty good after that.
post #4155 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finished ID4 in DTSX. Holy Crap!

Those mixers deserve some kind of award. If this much care and attention was given to remasters (or new movies for that matter) we would all be so very much happier!
post #4156 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
I don't have everything sorted yet but lets do the 23rd anyway since more people can come. We can slum it with HD if we are forced to.

So it's gonna be 8:00. Let's do something 4K and Atmos/DTSX. Any suggestions?

Please chime in if I forgot you but from what I remember.

@Archaea
@JDontee
@sigma722
@Stoked21
@carp
@ChldsPlay
I can come for a bit, but not too long. I have to be in Lenexa at 10 for a bike ride. I can definitely come for some demos though. I still haven't seen anything played in HDR since my projector isn't capable, so I'd love to get a glimpse of something. Don't have an opinion on the movie since I can't stay for the whole thing. I can say 13 hours is a pretty solid (but not great) movie that should sound really good.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
post #4157 of 6122 Old 07-17-2016, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 162
My vote is for GB1 or X-men Days of Future Past.
post #4158 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Grant

Told u id4 was insane!!!!

Ftr I have about 20-30 other UHD.

Tomorrow I receive the Jem of a movie called batman vs superman.
Being new release I'm curious to see and hear what the UHD and atmos r like.
Ben Affleck....oh man my fav actor!!!

I'm at tac base all week. Get back early Friday but I'm down for this Friday if that's the plan. I have 4 teenage/college kids here all week so I have to find a way to bow out entertaining them on sat
post #4159 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
Grant

Told u id4 was insane!!!!

Ftr I have about 20-30 other UHD.

Tomorrow I receive the Jem of a movie called batman vs superman.
Being new release I'm curious to see and hear what the UHD and atmos r like.
Ben Affleck....oh man my fav actor!!!

I'm at tac base all week. Get back early Friday but I'm down for this Friday if that's the plan. I have 4 teenage/college kids here all week so I have to find a way to bow out entertaining them on sat
Plan is Saturday the 23rd. Can you make that one?

Ok thanks so basically we can watch "almost" ANY UHD movie ever released.....haha.

One of these days I'm gonna get a UHD movie before you do! They say Batman V Superman is "shipping". Maybe that will be the one. I still haven't seen it but I'm aware of all the criticism. I really enjoyed Man of Steel so I was very disappointed when they decided to go in this new direction seemingly just being reactionary to what Marvel was having success doing.
post #4160 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Been living with Google Fiber for a bit now and here is a short review.

Internet:

First of all I get around 150 mbps down and 200 mbps up through wifi on my main floor. There that takes care of most of your questions right off the bat. I had Comcast 250 mbps and I averaged maybe 60-80 but it was more variable. The thing I did not like were the intermittent decreases in bandwidth. Otherwise Comcast internet service was very good.

I have my basement as my access point so all my HT equipment is hardwired. I am not sure what I get down there so I am going to hook up my computer to the modem down there to find out sometime. I ran another Cat6 cable to my main floor where I have an apple airport that does a pretty good job covering the house but it does drop off the farther away you get.

I have noticed that Netflix loads a bit faster now and videos on computer will also load faster and never need to stutter.

I did have to make a service call right away after installation and since then it has been solid.

Cable TV:

This one is a mixed bag. I like the X1 platform better. The interface is more robust and easier to use. By a long shot.

I have also had some glitches on the cable service with several restarts of my cable box. A few freezes and problems with accessing my DVR.

I also don't like that the remote uses blu tooth. It simply won't go through my wall so I will have to bring it into the room or run an IR blaster like 50 feet. At the moment it is sitting above my PJ looking through the glass so I can use IR.

But the thing is........the PQ is SO much better! It was a stark contrast when I was able to watch the last episode of Game of Thrones on Google Fiber. Gone was the horrific black crush and washed out colors. It was a clear and punchy picture with lots of detail. I don't know if I can go back to the crap that Comcast was pumping into my home.

But, I have not cancelled Comcast yet because I have such a screaming deal and I still may go back. So I have considered asking Comcast to see what they can do about the PQ on the cable service and the intermittent slow down on the internet.

And then I stumbled across this info. https://www.electronichouse.com/home...mos-to-the-x1/
If they actually had a convincing amount of content in Atmos AND it was going to be exclusive for awhile then that could be a factor.
post #4161 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4121 Post(s)
Liked: 3458
Quote:

What exactly was your "PJ UHD" calibration doing for the picture? I am just curious what you had to accomplish to get your pic all the way there.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #4162 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
What exactly was your "PJ UHD" calibration doing for the picture? I am just curious what you had to accomplish to get your pic all the way there.
The fact that he switched from the UHD to standard calibration will eventually be a dead giveaway that the wrong disc was inserted. With being new to the hardware and format, one is less sure of what is happening.

The UHD calibration differs significantly from a standard calibration. The color gamut, brightness, contrast, and gamma settings are completely different.

High Impact AV
- ISF Level II Video Calibrator, THX-HAA Level III Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #4163 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Plan is Saturday the 23rd. Can you make that one?

Ok thanks so basically we can watch "almost" ANY UHD movie ever released.....haha.

One of these days I'm gonna get a UHD movie before you do! They say Batman V Superman is "shipping". Maybe that will be the one. I still haven't seen it but I'm aware of all the criticism. I really enjoyed Man of Steel so I was very disappointed when they decided to go in this new direction seemingly just being reactionary to what Marvel was having success doing.
You can add Allegiant to the list (if it isn't one Derek also has). I picked it up last week so you can use it if you'd like, though I doubt it's high on the priority list for most here. It's UHD with Atmos though, and I believe it had a 4K DI too.

Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
post #4164 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just finished ID4 in DTSX. Holy Crap!

Those mixers deserve some kind of award. If this much care and attention was given to remasters (or new movies for that matter) we would all be so very much happier!
I need to rewatch ID4 in it's entirety now that I got the issue with the settings sorted out. I only watched a few small sections after I got it fixed before I returned your player.

The bad taste that Resurgence left in my mouth dampens my motivation though.

I should get the Phillips player this week (I hope), so maybe I'll get around to it soon. I'm hoping the player comes soon so I can do a Star Trek marathon before this weekend.

post #4165 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I need to rewatch ID4 in it's entirety now that I got the issue with the settings sorted out. I only watched a few small sections after I got it fixed before I returned your player.

I should get the Phillips player this week (I hope), so maybe I'll get around to it soon. I'm hoping the player comes soon so I can do a Star Trek marathon before this weekend.
xbox one s comes out august 2nd, only 2tb version initially for $400. Can't remember where everyone landed with that
post #4166 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
xbox one s comes out august 2nd, only 2tb version initially for $400. Can't remember where everyone landed with that
I had the 2 TB and 500 GB versions pre-ordered (I don't have a need for extra space and would much prefer to pay $299), but with Microsoft's reluctance (refusal?) to confirm that it will output uncompressed bitstream audio, I am almost sure that it will not do Atmos/DTS:X, so I have cancelled my pre-order for the 2TB, and probably will cancel the 500 GB unless something changes very soon.

post #4167 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Ha! You caught on to that huh? Well, I didn't. I just thought to myself "gee I guess I just messed up some setting in the menu or i don't know how to do HDR correctly". And the guys in the room who are NOT AV enthusiasts were yelling "just play something"! So I TURNED THE HDR CAL OFF! And it looked fine then.

Embarrassing but its not the dumbest thing I have done in that room by a long shot.

After putting in the proper disc and turning the HDR calibration that Michael did it looked fantastic! But, the sound grabbed me as well.
post #4168 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
The fact that he switched from the UHD to standard calibration will eventually be a dead giveaway that the wrong disc was inserted. With being new to the hardware and format, one is less sure of what is happening.

The UHD calibration differs significantly from a standard calibration. The color gamut, brightness, contrast, and gamma settings are completely different.
Yep, it was RED FACE city!

I WILL NOT be fooled again!
post #4169 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can add Allegiant to the list (if it isn't one Derek also has). I picked it up last week so you can use it if you'd like, though I doubt it's high on the priority list for most here. It's UHD with Atmos though, and I believe it had a 4K DI too.
Ok cool I haven't seen it. Actually I haven't seen many of the UHD movies that I bought.
post #4170 of 6122 Old 07-18-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It will be worth your time to watch it again. Amazing mix. I really can't believe they accomplished that mix on a 20 year old movie. I mean sounds are just flying all over the room! One of my favorites with my very limited experience so far.

Star trek marathon sounds awesome! Do you mean ALL the movies? Or just the 2 new ones in UHD and Atmos. I saw that there is a directors version of Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan that just came out. I am curious about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page