Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 186 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1307Likes

Old 04-15-2017, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Thanks Ryan @chirpie

Had a great time. Love the look of the theater. Your projector really throws a great pic. The subwoofer must be corner loaded like a boss.

The Kodi automation was so cool. I simply loved the custom preview screens before each clip played. As well as the Cinema Midwest logo screens. Your choice in clips and trailers was spot on! For those who missed it he played the Alien Covenant trailer we were talking about here and of course The Last Jedi one that just dropped. Then right before the show we saw the trailer for the new Blade Runner 2049.

It is clear that Ryan loves him some Anime! He showed a clip from one called Redline which was over the top. Hand drawn with fantastic colors. I'm going to have to check out the whole thing now.

Can't wait to see what you do with the new space.
chirpie, carp, ChldsPlay and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 215
AND the Royals won!!
Ladeback likes this.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Thanks Ryan @chirpie

Had a great time. Love the look of the theater. Your projector really throws a great pic. The subwoofer must be corner loaded like a boss.

The Kodi automation was so cool. I simply loved the custom preview screens before each clip played. As well as the Cinema Midwest logo screens. Your choice in clips and trailers was spot on! For those who missed it he played the Alien Covenant trailer we were talking about here and of course The Last Jedi one that just dropped. Then right before the show we saw the trailer for the new Blade Runner 2049.

It is clear that Ryan loves him some Anime! He showed a clip from one called Redline which was over the top. Hand drawn with fantastic colors. I'm going to have to check out the whole thing now.

Can't wait to see what you do with the new space.
I have to echo Grant's thoughts here. Very nice little theater, with an impressive punch, especially considering it's just a lonely 12. I can't wait to see how the new one turns out. I like the added touch with the preview and logo screens. I had considered the preview thing when I was building mine, but I didn't have the energy I guess. I'd love to throw in some new trailers at times, but for some reason, my wife doesn't like watching trailers unless it's at the actual theater, so it's a no go at home.

As for Blade Runner, I still don't love it, but I didn't hate it and wasn't completely bored to tears like I have been with previous viewings. I think it helps watching it in a theater format so I don't have a computer/phone that I could distract myself with.

Thanks for having us.
chirpie likes this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - Panasonic PT-AE8000U
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3)
Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Subwoofers - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2) - Powered by Crown XLS 5000.
Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050

Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Thanks for coming out Kevin, Grant, & Jon!

A low key evening is nice once in a while. Thanks again Kevin for toughing it out. ;-) I totally get why some people aren't big on the movie, it's most certainly NOT for everyone. Blade Runner is incredibly morose and almost oppressive in it's atmosphere while at the same time feeling like a strange dull dreaminess hangs over everything. Darkness, rain, half asleep voices, more rain.

I guess I always liked the film because I totally dig it's soundtrack (Which is completely back in style in some circles), the production design is legendary, and I always liked that it slowly dawns on you that Harrison Ford's character isn't really much of a good guy. He's just a guy forced in a corner who's begrudgingly stepping into the role of executioner. (And he's not even that good at the physical portions of his job. He gets his butt handed to him throughout the film. ^_^)

And man Grant, you're only an 8 minute drive and I've never been over there. What a sad sack I am. I need to rectify that someday!
ZLTFUL and Ladeback like this.

Last edited by chirpie; 04-15-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
AND the Royals won!!
That too!
Old 04-15-2017, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 470 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3048 Post(s)
Liked: 2646
I'm late to the party - but I want to thank Ryan too for the nice hospitality and movie night last night. The theater sounded great, looked great, and was comfortable --- the movie choice was good --- company too. What more could you ask for? That's a great way to spend a Friday night.

Two things really stuck out to me again. The color vibrancy on that Sony 40ES is really top rate, and the SVS subwoofer is an overachiever in that room. I was sitting in the back row, center seat, and there seemed no shortage of bass at any point.

Chirpie showed us a pic of his new theater space in the new house, and it must have been a camera trick - but it was just shy of one of those cavernous warehouses from Indiana Jones movies. That'll be epic for sure. I look forward to what you do in the next space. I'm sure it'll be well thought out and exceptional --- just like the current setup.

Your demo clips at the beginning were fun, and your trailer choices fun as well. Thanks for hosting this month!
chirpie, ZLTFUL and Ladeback like this.

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Old 04-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Found this fun movie quiz today. It requires speakers/headphones:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...e-quotes-quiz/

I got a/an:

Spoiler!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was somewhat impressed with watching Sully last night. The Atmos was very effective in creating the atmosphere during the in-plane scenes. It felt (sounded) like I was actually inside the plane. Not a bad movie either.

Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4); Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4)
Old 04-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Found this fun movie quiz today. It requires speakers/headphones:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...e-quotes-quiz/

I got a/an:

Spoiler!
I got 78 out of 99. Guess I should have taken more time. Some were easy and some not so much.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I got a 95 on the quiz. The embarrassing thing is that I haven't seen some of those movies.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 126
90 for me...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I got a 95 on the quiz. The embarrassing thing is that I haven't seen some of those movies.
That was part of my problem, but I was judging some of them by the title and actors in the movie. I have seen a bunch of them but, not all of them. Hard to find time to watch movies with an 8 year old around and he more wants to play or we watch what he likes. Still a fun quiz.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

89 here. Lots of complete guessing on some of those older ones.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Point Source

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked: 3108
Back to the car movies, I am surprised no one mentioned Ronin. Not altogether a car movie, but the chases in that movie are some of my all-time faves.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I feel the need to give another whole hearted recommendation for the FX series Legion. It was mentioned awhile back by several folks here when it was next up on my list. My wife and I just finished it and both loved it.

First of all it is a visual masterpiece! The creative forces behind the look of the show and the cinematography will win some awards for sure. They are the best I have seen in a television show from a non premium channel and honestly it competes or bests most of the premium stuff. The colors in this show will make you so happy you have a color accurate projector. It is a tour de force. Every set piece was well thought out. It must have been a tremendous amount of effort and it paid off big time.

Audio wise the show has phenomenal use of surround and the up mixer seemingly does a great job of putting stuff in the overhead channels. Many of the sound effects are psychological in nature and it gives a pretty unnerving effect when it comes at you from all directions. I was continually impressed and my wife pointed it out several times as well as voices and effects emanated from all around the room.

Personally, I loved the story and the acting. Top notch. Suspenseful and keeps you guessing just enough. I want more.
femi likes this.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Point Source

I remember seeing previews of that and wanting to check it out. Wonder if they will re-run anytime soon or if it will hit netflix?
Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I might do my May movie night the last weekend in April and show Guardians of the Galaxy in preparation for the sequel. I still haven't watched it since opening weekend at the theater.

Anyone interested in that?
Old 04-17-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I remember seeing previews of that and wanting to check it out. Wonder if they will re-run anytime soon or if it will hit netflix?
What cable provider do you have? Is it available in your On Demand section? It is on mine.

I think that Legion is available to stream on Hulu but I don't have the service to confirm that.

Not sure about Netflix. I think Hulu has a deal with FX because they also have Fargo from FX.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

We're in a trial of hulu now and it appears to have legion.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Is Hulu 5.1 yet?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
What cable provider do you have? Is it available in your On Demand section? It is on mine.

I think that Legion is available to stream on Hulu but I don't have the service to confirm that.

Not sure about Netflix. I think Hulu has a deal with FX because they also have Fargo from FX.
Directv. I will be sure to look into it
Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think I'll do two movie nights.

April 29th at 8 pm - Guardians of the Galaxy

Then probably May 11/12 at 7 or 8pm - Maybe I'll rent Assassin's Creed or something else. I'll have to see what will be out by then.

That should allow more options for people.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I should be in for May. I can't think of any conflicts at this time. (but with respect to the wife and kids - one movie night a month is probably my limit -- and since I went to Chirpies last week - I'll politely decline your generous April invite).

----------------------------------------
February 2017 - Kansas City Home Theater Crawl
Old 04-19-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I think I'll do two movie nights.

April 29th at 8 pm - Guardians of the Galaxy

Then probably May 11/12 at 7 or 8pm - Maybe I'll rent Assassin's Creed or something else. I'll have to see what will be out by then.

That should allow more options for people.
Might be able to do the May night at 8pm.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
Quoted: 2660 Post(s)
Liked: 1940
I ended up buying a tv the other night. I had decided to replace the porch TV with a cheap 55 inch, I have seen some for around 300 bucks. However, when I went to walmart and was about to leave a saw one of these (it was out in the middle of an aisle type of thing, and on sale).

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55K.../dp/B01E69RCEW

It's a 2016 model but has good reviews and is 4k/HDR. It's around 799 most places, I don't think I saw it anywhere for cheaper unless it was refurbished. The walmart sale price was 499 so I figured what the heck. I haven't opened the box yet, so who knows it may be a DOA refurbished model or something but I thought at that price it was worth a shot. If it works I'll replace the front room LG 55" (3 years old) and put the front room tv on the porch. If it doesn't work I'll either exchange it (they had another one) or get a refund.
chirpie and Ladeback like this.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Point Source

Thats a killer deal for that size TV and options it has.
carp likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Axpona tomorrow

Randy and I head out tomorrow. Some highlights should be

The Seaton Sound and JTR Speaker rooms. The JTR Speakers driven blues concert. Seeing the new 4k projectors in various rooms. I'm also interested in hearing Don Keeles line arrays that are sold assemble yourself for $1k at parts express. (As a potential 2 channel project).

I'm there for just tomorrow. Randy is there for two. If you know of anything else you think would be cool to check out let us know.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/2782657?page=1
chirpie likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-21-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not sure if anyone was planning to attend, but I think I'm going to have to cancel the movie night next Saturday (4/29). Baby stuff going on.

Still on for the May one though.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Axpona tomorrow

Randy and I head out tomorrow. Some highlights should be

The Seaton Sound and JTR Speaker rooms. The JTR Speakers driven blues concert. Seeing the new 4k projectors in various rooms. I'm also interested in hearing Don Keeles line arrays that are sold assemble yourself for $1k at parts express. (As a potential 2 channel project).

I'm there for just tomorrow. Randy is there for two. If you know of anything else you think would be cool to check out let us know.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/2782657
How about a run down of the high lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement