Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
post #541 of 907 Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Ended up watching some demo clips and Ender's Game tonight with some of the AVSforum enthusiasts tonight. Cvinfig (Chuck) and ChldsPlay (Kevin) and g/f were good company! Thanks to Cvinfig for the bottle of wine and ChldsPlay and significant other for the cookies! Our family will enjoy both!
We let some of the early demos rip to reference level playback or a little better - but we watched the full movie at -12dB with the subs perhaps 5 or 6 dB hot from standard - which is the volume at which I personally typically watch a movie. Ender's Game was an enjoyable movie, but - per typical - the book was better.

I think the three guests enjoyed themselves and I encouraged them to see some of the other theaters owned by the KC AVS gang in the area ---- so if they follow through some of you should hopefully have some PMs and an opportunity to show of your hobby enthusiasm and equipment as well. CVinfig had seen jedimastergrants theater solely, and ChldsPlay's first visit with an avsforum enthusiast was here.

Cvinfig is taking possession of a JTR Orbit Shifter as soon as Jeff can get it shipped, so I'm quite sure he'll have some fun ---- and reap some destruction with that. ChldsPlay is gathering ideas and plans to build his own home theater space - so seeing some different spaces will help in his endeavor.
Having owned a pair of SVS PB 13 ultras myself - I can assure Cvinfig that his soon to be Orbit Shifter is just out of this world compared to what he has now! MAJOR upgrade! I can't wait to hear his thoughts on that when he gets it into place.
Yep the book was quite a bit better. I kept thinking that if I had not read the book I might not have enjoyed the movie very much. I still liked the movie and it looked and sounded great. Just an OK adaptation of a fantastic novel though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 907 Old 07-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Ended up watching some demo clips and Ender's Game tonight with some of the AVSforum enthusiasts tonight. Cvinfig (Chuck) and ChldsPlay (Kevin) and g/f were good company! Thanks to Cvinfig for the bottle of wine and ChldsPlay and significant other for the cookies! Our family will enjoy both!
We let some of the early demos rip to reference level playback or a little better - but we watched the full movie at -12dB with the subs perhaps 5 or 6 dB hot from standard - which is the volume at which I personally typically watch a movie. Ender's Game was an enjoyable movie, but - per typical - the book was better.

I think the three guests enjoyed themselves and I encouraged them to see some of the other theaters owned by the KC AVS gang in the area ---- so if they follow through some of you should hopefully have some PMs and an opportunity to show of your hobby enthusiasm and equipment as well. CVinfig had seen jedimastergrants theater solely, and ChldsPlay's first visit with an avsforum enthusiast was here.

Cvinfig is taking possession of a JTR Orbit Shifter as soon as Jeff can get it shipped, so I'm quite sure he'll have some fun ---- and reap some destruction with that. ChldsPlay is gathering ideas and plans to build his own home theater space - so seeing some different spaces will help in his endeavor.
Having owned a pair of SVS PB 13 ultras myself - I can assure Cvinfig that his soon to be Orbit Shifter is just out of this world compared to what he has now! MAJOR upgrade! I can't wait to hear his thoughts on that when he gets it into place.
Thanks again for having us over, we had a good time. I'm glad I finally got to hear some sound through an AT screen. Most of the installers in the area all have their speakers to the sides and below the screen. And I am definitely considering the Panasonic projector now. It looked pretty good to me, and offers pretty much everything I need at a good price. I still need to check out some JVCs (I actually saw some yesterday at a place here in Kansas, but they were showcasing things using DVDs, so I really can't say how well I thought it looked. The only concern I have about the Panasonic is that it uses infrared for 3D. My TV uses IR, and it can be annoying how often the sync is lost with the glasses. Have you noticed any sync issues with 3D? I wish we had thrown Gravity in for a minute to check that out.

I have to start working out a budget today.
post #543 of 907 Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 909
I have had zero synch issues with the Panasonic... you might post in the owners section if anyone has experienced trouble with that. I've not read about it, but I'm not a 3d fan apart from two movies so far. Gravity and Avatar.
chiptouz likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #544 of 907 Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 625
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I killed my receiver but I just tried a factory reset and I'm back in business.

A warning to all. Be careful with the Incredible Hulk Scene. Be very careful. You can shut down a city block with that scene. 10 over reference with subs very hot on top of that needs more power than my house can give evidently....

I am never doing that again.

What's crazy is it tripped 3 breakers.

1. Breaker for the amp that powers subs.
2. Breaker for the amp for the 215's/all other av equipment.
3. Breaker for the basement lights and some stuff in the kitchen. Huh? No idea why that tripped... it was next to the other 2 breakers in the box. I'm just glad it didn't trip the breaker for the projector, that would probably be bad for the bulb.
post #545 of 907 Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 180
^^^It won't hurt the bulb as long as you don't turn the PJ back on until the bulb has completely cooled. Restarting a hot bulb is never good.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #546 of 907 Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I almost never turn on the projector twice in the same day. Once it's on, it's on for the day. I think that's why it's still plenty bright with almost 2000 hours.

I didn't know that it wouldn't hurt it if the power is cut off, good to know.
post #547 of 907 Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

My projector (BenQ PE7700) had serious bulb failure issues when first released and I went thru three bulbs in the first year. By necessity I read everything available on bulbs and bulb life. My fourth bulb is still going strong at 1600 hours (all on eco-mode for prolonged life). When this bulb dies it will be time to replace this old 720P projector.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
post #548 of 907 Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm on dynamic (brightest) mode and normal (not eco). I've been really happy with the bulb life that's for sure.
post #549 of 907 Old 07-21-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I ended up taking the chairs back to Aminis Galleria.

They just got too hot after around an hour every time I sat in them. I ended up going with real leather instead, and should get them in a few weeks. Billy at Aminis was great, he took the chairs back, no problem at all. I could have saved some money buying online on the leather chairs but to me it's worth it to know I can take them back if there is a problem. Plus Billy gave me a good deal again anyway. That and I'd rather buy local - it will suck when the day comes that all of these businesses go under and there will be no way to try anything out before buying.
post #550 of 907 Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I'm on dynamic (brightest) mode and normal (not eco). I've been really happy with the bulb life that's for sure.
Your screen is bigger than my 110" diag 16:9 screen as I recall.

post #551 of 907 Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There's some pretty interesting discussion in this thread on subsonic ULF for anyone interested who hasn't come across it yet.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #552 of 907 Old 07-23-2014, 09:14 AM

I think I have my projector and screen selection figured out. Now I'm focusing more on the audio. What are some good places locally to demo some good speakers (users or retailers)? I may be limited to in-wall for behind the screen (at least for the center), but I'm not sure. I may be able to get a baffle wall put in. Either way, I want to hear things before I make any decisions.
post #553 of 907 Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PM the active group in the first post - - or heck - anybody in the first post.

some you might want to hear that are forum darlings that I'm aware of....(not intentionally excluding anyone - just what popped to the top of my head).

Randy Bessinger - Procella
thebean - Tekton Pendragons
carp - JTR 215HT
Jedimastergrant - JTR 212HT
MrSmithers and d_c have some various AIY speakers to listen to.
Luke Kamp and Scrappydue - Klipsch (various)

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #554 of 907 Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I got to check out Doug's system today - it's awesome! The room looks so good too, the pictures don't do it justice. It's really cool to look up and see the backs of the hidden monster LMS drivers. The built in surrounds and height speakers looks so great, just such a clean look.

The SEOS speakers are great too, as to be expected - and hearing/feeling the Ghorns while on a suspended wood floor is too much fun. It will get you smiling for sure - well, it did me anyway.

Doug's dog can handle reference just find but heads out of the room quickly if it goes above reference, haha.
post #555 of 907 Old 07-24-2014, 05:43 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Thanks man, I'm happy you like it. Get your ears better so we can demolish some beers and pop some breakers next time. I'm going to try switching my Butterworth from 18 to 24 tomorrow morning and see if I can get some more punch at the LP. I'm happy where it is, but why not go for more if it's free bass?
carp likes this.
post #556 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

d_c

you still need a amp?

Saw this in the classified section.
Crown

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #557 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 03:02 PM

I may need an amp (or two), if I ever figure out what speakers I am going to get.

So, I've been trying to mockup what my space will look like on some free program. Sketchup is a bit of a pain, so I found one that had an easier learning curve, but less functionality.

What do you guys think?

Open for sports events and other gatherings:

Curtain closed for movies:

post #558 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Consider putting three chairs in the front so you have a center sweet spot and also consider putting a riser in the back row - so they have a viewing angle over the heads of those in front?

Carp, jedimastergrant, randy bessinger, and luke kamp all have riser seating and it rocks if you have the ceiling height for it.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #559 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm with Archaea on the three seats in front row. I have an even number of seats (2) and I hate that neither can be in the sweet spot due to wife acceptance factor. My speakers have a wide sweet spot, but Audyssey still sets one channel 1 dB lower.

Space looks really nice. The side area with the bar will be nice, not sure if it will negatively impact sound quality (I assume no).

post #560 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 04:39 PM

I am limited with space, so I can't put 4 in the back. It is too wide. The front has more space with the open area to the side. And the little woman wants a love seat in there. The back row is on a riser though. It might be hard to see with the angles I used.
post #561 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I am limited with space, so I can't put 4 in the back. It is too wide. The front has more space with the open area to the side. And the little woman wants a love seat in there. The back row is on a riser though. It might be hard to see with the angles I used.
Do you have the seats already?

When you say she wants a love seat, which row are you talking about?

If you don't have seats, these are space savers and if you have a loveseat in the middle you could have 4 seats that are only 110 inches wide total for all 4. Is that still too wide for the back row?

http://www.theaterseatstore.com/row-...ategory=222277

Compare that to the seats I just ordered (I just bought 2 seats) which are really wide.

If I bought the same configuration in the seats I bought (4 seats middle love seat) it would be 130 inches wide - HUGE difference!! Check and see if you have 110 inches of space in the back row, you just might.
post #562 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like she wants the love seat for the front row.

How far is the front row going to be from the screen? If you could move the front row up a bit you would have more room and could maybe move the couch over so that one of the love seat chairs is in the sweet spot.
post #563 of 907 Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Do you have the seats already?

When you say she wants a love seat, which row are you talking about?

If you don't have seats, these are space savers and if you have a loveseat in the middle you could have 4 seats that are only 110 inches wide total for all 4. Is that still too wide for the back row?

Compare that to the seats I just ordered (I just bought 2 seats) which are really wide.

If I bought the same configuration in the seats I bought (4 seats middle love seat) it would be 130 inches wide - HUGE difference!! Check and see if you have 110 inches of space in the back row, you just might.
Yeah, the ones I was looking at were 114" for the 4. Four will fit, but it would make the walking space around them much more cramped. That is unless I shifted them all to one side. If I were to do that, I could just do the front row and still have the walking space around the back. But I don't know that I want it to look asymmetrical.
post #564 of 907 Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I had 4 seats and grew to hate not having a perfect main listening position. They are now not being used and I have 3 new seats. I setup and calibrate with top priority on the main seat. My wife isn't nearly as judgmental about that pan in the surrounds or that smooth frequency response from the subs. "It sounds great, but is loud,", is about as critical as her listening gets.

You can get a love seat and a matching chair beside it so you have one side of the love seat as a centered main listening position.
post #565 of 907 Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stormwind13 found this deal on a Crown X4000 amp for $300.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...350w-power-amp

I don't really need one, but how can you go wrong for $300 for a powerhouse Crown amp?

If you need a smaller amp for $100 - they have the X1000 amp for $99.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...300w-power-amp

These are nice discounts!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #566 of 907 Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Thanks for posting Archaea - I picked up a 1000 for my future outdoor speakers or any other room I need amps
post #567 of 907 Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Stormwind13 found this deal on a Crown X4000 amp for $300.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...350w-power-amp

I don't really need one, but how can you go wrong for $300 for a powerhouse Crown amp?

If you need a smaller amp for $100 - they have the X1000 amp for $99.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...300w-power-amp

These are nice discounts!
I'm going broke with all these good deals. I just picked up a pair of LAB15 for $105 each too. They are normally $279
post #568 of 907 Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I may need an amp (or two), if I ever figure out what speakers I am going to get.

So, I've been trying to mockup what my space will look like on some free program. Sketchup is a bit of a pain, so I found one that had an easier learning curve, but less functionality.

What do you guys think?

Open for sports events and other gatherings:

Curtain closed for movies:

What is in the room behind the bar? Where do you plan to put your av gear? Could you use that space?

I greatly appreciate having a sweet spot for my own room. I was trying to squeeze in 4 and I'm glad I went with 3 instead.
post #569 of 907 Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
What is in the room behind the bar? Where do you plan to put your av gear? Could you use that space?

I greatly appreciate having a sweet spot for my own room. I was trying to squeeze in 4 and I'm glad I went with 3 instead.
There's nothing there really. There are 2 windows (one on each wall) and the electrical box. We'll just use it for storage of empty boxes most likely. My AV gear will go on a rack inside the utility room (the larger closed off space) with the face being accessible to the side of the bar area.
post #570 of 907 Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's nothing there really. There are 2 windows (one on each wall) and the electrical box. We'll just use it for storage of empty boxes most likely. My AV gear will go on a rack inside the utility room (the larger closed off space) with the face being accessible to the side of the bar area.
Ok sounds good.

How finished is that space? You will have a lot of wires to fish!

Will your riser interfere with the doors? It is hard to tell.
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page