Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #571 of 689 Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As diagramed, the lack of symmetry for the front soundstage may wreak havoc on stereo imaging. How about moving the bump-out for the bar to the back of the theater and having a wall where you show the curtain? Or use a different wall for the screen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 689 Old 08-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Ok sounds good.

How finished is that space? You will have a lot of wires to fish!

Will your riser interfere with the doors? It is hard to tell.
Space is mostly finished. I started demo of the ceiling last week. The door opens into the utility room, so no issues. I left a 3' perimeter on that side of the riser too (this is why I had the row of 3 in the back).
post #573 of 689 Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
As diagramed, the lack of symmetry for the front soundstage may wreak havoc on stereo imaging. How about moving the bump-out for the bar to the back of the theater and having a wall where you show the curtain? Or use a different wall for the screen...
There's no room for a bar at the back of the theater, and putting a wall there is great for the dedicated theater, but eliminates the bar, etc., and makes that space pretty much unused.

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 08-11-2014 at 10:31 AM.
post #574 of 689 Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Does anyone know of any good installers around? I've met with quite a few, and honestly only one made me feel confident in their ability/knowledge. Now that I am looking to get things rolling, he is balking because I have some specific things I want as far as equipment, some of which he is not a dealer for.
post #575 of 689 Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Does anyone know of any good installers around? I've met with quite a few, and honestly only one made me feel confident in their ability/knowledge. Now that I am looking to get things rolling, he is balking because I have some specific things I want as far as equipment, some of which he is not a dealer for.
Hmm well that might be a tough one bc of the equipment conflict. I have worked with and bought some stuff from shawn Byrne of the Erskine group. He is out of Topeka. When you say installer do you mean that you actually want them to install it and do the set up for you? Or do you just want to buy the equipment? Are you looking for someone to help with the design of the space and to make recommendations? Audio treatments and lay out possibly? Any ideas on budget?
post #576 of 689 Old 08-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Hmm well that might be a tough one bc of the equipment conflict. I have worked with and bought some stuff from shawn Byrne of the Erskine group. He is out of Topeka. When you say installer do you mean that you actually want them to install it and do the set up for you? Or do you just want to buy the equipment? Are you looking for someone to help with the design of the space and to make recommendations? Audio treatments and lay out possibly? Any ideas on budget?
I mean I want them to install it and set it up for me too. He was suppose to do the design, install, calibration, and this included all of the construction (walls, ceiling, HVAC, riser, etc.) as well. Budget for everything, including equipment and seating is about $40k.
post #577 of 689 Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Well there are very few options for that here locally as far as I know. The Erskine group will do this sort of thing and travel anywhere in the country and knock it out quickly. But it was out of my budget. So they kinda sorta recommended a local guy who has done sound isolation home theater projects before. I forgot his name but I can get it for you. I thought his bid was reasonable. But being a cheap skate I decided to go with a few guys I knew that were weekend warrior carpenters. That way I could do some of the work and keep costs down. Well the project drug on for about 8 months and I ended up down there for literally hundreds of hours. Would have been smarter to work more and hire someone who has done sound isolation before. That is the one thing I can't stress enough. If they have no experience with this sort of thing they will not do it properly. Guaranteed.

Another option is avs member bigmouthindc. I spoke with jeff and wanted to hire him but the timing did not work out.

I would throw Nyal Mellor of acoustic frontiers name out there. I saw and heard what he did with dlbecks room and I came away impressed.

Last edited by jedimastergrant; 08-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.
post #578 of 689 Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 677
For that budget you should be able to put together quite a system.

Perhaps hire Desertdome out of Omaha to help you on the weekends. He helped quite a bit with dlbeck's theater, and is quite knowledgable about pretty much all things audio.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-07-2014 at 11:53 AM.
post #579 of 689 Old 08-07-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For that budget you should be able to put together quite a system.

Perhaps hire Desertdome out of Omaha to help you on the weekends. He helped quite a bit with dlbeck's theater, and is quite knowledgable about pretty much all things audio.
That's the goal. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.
post #580 of 689 Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks to jedimastergrant for allowing me and the gf to visit his theater this past weekend. A very nice setup indeed which offered a few ideas. Grant gave me a lot of insight as well, which I plan to use to my advantage as I continue to look for the best way to make my theater happen.
carp likes this.
post #581 of 689 Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
hey guys here is my build thread link over on klipsch not posting it in multiple forums. took me like 2 hours on there to do it and i gotta get to work.

https://community.klipsch.com/index....build-project/

Last edited by Scrappydue; 09-02-2014 at 07:26 AM.
post #582 of 689 Old 08-29-2014, 12:55 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post
hey guys here is my build thread link over on klipsch not posting it in multiple forums. took me like 2 hours on there to do it and i gotta get to work.
It looks great! I love the wall of sound. Are you going with black fabric on the ceiling like in the first few pics, or painting it black or anything?
post #583 of 689 Old 08-29-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
It looks great! I love the wall of sound. Are you going with black fabric on the ceiling like in the first few pics, or painting it black or anything?
It will be black. How I'm gonna accomplish that not sure yet but it will be black at least a portion like before.
post #584 of 689 Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Wow, great job man! Guys make sure to scroll up to the top of the page for me the link sent me to the last post on the thread.

post #585 of 689 Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Most impressive pic - the beard!!!

Hey, what are the dimensions of your riser?

Damn I'm impressed man, doesn't even look like the same room.

post #586 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 07:24 AM

https://community.klipsch.com/index....build-project/

there ya go carp. that link should be good.

beard was great but hot it left on vacation yesterday, and will return when its cooler.

and my riser is 2x12 3/4" plywood then pad and carpet. so i am guessing it is about 13"
post #587 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself. Been a long time lurker on these forums. Happened to come across Archaea's build(love the work) and was pleased to see he was from the KC area. Then with some digging and help from Carp found this group.

A bit about myself. I am a software developer in the KC area. I have way too many hobbies one of them being AV/HT. I just sold my house and bought a new house. In the process I got asked to give up my projector and screen. (upgrade time!) I have a completely unfinished basement so I can start from scratch and build what I want. What better community to help me figure that out than this one. Hope to bounce ideas off you and just generally get to know people.
post #588 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

@acewatson,

Welcome!

Why don't you reach out to some folk through PM and invite yourself over to their theaters.

The following members have showcased their rooms with regularity - and I may be missing some off the top of my head.

Members and their current home theater bent:
  • @Archaea - JTR speakers - eight 18"s sealed, two ported 18"s
  • @carp - JTR speakers - eight 18"s sealed
  • @d_c - DIY speakers - two 18" horn
  • @jedimastergrant - JTR speakers - 18" horn
  • @Luke Kamp - Klipsch speakers - four sealed 18"s
  • @MrSmithers - DIY speakers - four sealed 18"s
  • @Randy Bessinger - Procella speakers - two sealed 18"s
  • @Scrappydue - Klipsch speakers - four sealed 18"s

post #589 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha, oh yeah Ace I guess I forgot to mention you are welcome to come over anytime and check out my room.

post #590 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Woah hey - Ace, I see that you have 10 posts and have been liked 10 times. Haha, that's a hell of a ratio! You may not have posted much in 5 years but when you do post it must be some good sh*t!!

post #591 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the offers. Will definitely have to hit you all up on those offers. My wife won't like it one bit. I might need a second job.
carp likes this.
post #592 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 05:10 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewatson View Post
Thanks for the offers. Will definitely have to hit you all up on those offers. My wife won't like it one bit. I might need a second job.

I have two 2nd jobs! We are having a gtg at my house next Saturday, you are welcome to join. It's just a living room, but it sounds decent. I am planning the basement theater too, and it might get kicked up a notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #593 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I have two 2nd jobs! We are having a gtg at my house next Saturday, you are welcome to join. It's just a living room, but it sounds decent. I am planning the basement theater too, and it might get kicked up a notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would that be the 13th?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #594 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Sorry, the 5th. I should have said this Saturday.

post #595 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM

5th is Friday. I can most likely make it Saturday but not Friday. Got a concert if anyone is going to that.

Last edited by acewatson; 09-02-2014 at 05:32 PM.
post #596 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 05:49 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewatson View Post
5th is Friday. I can most likely make it Saturday but not Friday. Got a concert if anyone is going to that.

Oh, duh. The 6th of SEPTEMBER, Saturday! I had my calendar on October...

post #597 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

"Sounds decent."

Hahaha, yeah just a bit of an understatement!

post #598 of 689 Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 PM

What time that day and where you located Doug?
post #599 of 689 Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone in KC need a Denon 4520CI for the fantastic sale price of $1k?

Denon 4520Ci on Amazon for $998.00

Cheapest I've seen these before new was $1.5K from AVScience Sales at the turn of the year.

post #600 of 689 Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thats a great deal for anyone looking for a receiver. Sadly, I am going to pass on it. I have my eye on a sub build/upgrade in my near future.

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page